Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > Cat of The Zodiac: Kyou Sohma

Chapter 4: Can't Sleep

by spiralred 1 review

Yuki wrapped an arm around Kyou and with his other hand wiped the tears from Kyou's cheeks.

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst - Characters: Kyo, Yuki - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2005-08-05 - Updated: 2005-08-05 - 1001 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer; I do not own Fruits Basket

Chapter 4; Can't Sleep

Over the next month Kyou busied himself with his plan. Every day after school Kyou would spend hours in the library: researching potential sites to find the cure, planning travel routes, hotels, planes, trains, and preparing a budget. He also got a job, at first Kyou had hoped to work at Kazuma's dojo, but the commute was too far to go every day; instead he got a job at a restaurant, close to school, as a busboy. Working at a restaurant he had very late hours, usually his work shift would end past midnight, much later than Tohru's shifts. Kyou's preoccupation left Shigure's house calm and tranquil, and everyone there dead bored.

One night Kyou came home from work particularly late, around 1:30 am. After a full day of school, research, and work, he was so tired he just crashed on the couch,* he was so exhausted he couldn't even make it up to his room.

Kyou quickly fell asleep.

Then there it was again, the feeling of the pleasure giving, ice cold fingers.

"So you think this little plan of yours will work. Stop fooling yourself, you're not doing this for the good of the family. You think you can save them from the curse? You only want the cure for yourself, so that you won't have to deal with the monster inside you, so that you won't have to obey me anymore. How dare you tell Yuki and that bitch Tohru."

The dream hand grabbed Kyou's hair and yanked his head back.

"I told you not to tell anyone! How dare you disobey me! I own you! You will never escape the curse, you will never escape ME!"

Kyou saw Akito's face screaming at him, the bright eyes penetrating him.

Then Kyou awoke on the cold floor, shivering.

Why can't I stop thinking of him? I 'm so afraid, he keeps haunting me.

He couldn't shake the image of Akito's face in his head, and the voice, his scolding screams, they kept repeating over and over again.

Kyou's body went into auto-drive, and before he knew where his feet were taking him he was on the roof.

The roof, his old sanctuary, gave him no comfort. The roof, where he could always go to calm himself, no longer served it's purpose, it was lonely and meaningless. After having talked to Yuki and Tohru he knew there was something better, a stronger feeling of relief, he was dependent on it now, and he could not deny himself.

Kyou entered Yuki's window, knowing full well that there was a strong possibility of Yuki throwing him out, but the possibility that being with Yuki, that being near him, could make the image of Akito and the voice in his head disappear weighed out the fear of being thrown out. Desperate for comfort Kyou was drawn to Yuki like a magnet, he looked glowing and saint like in Kyou's mind contrasted by the darkness of Kyou's dream. Kyou climbed into Yuki's bed slowly, as though in a trance, and moved right next him, wrapping his arms around him. Kyou clung to Yuki, buried his face in Yuki's chest, and for the first time in his life he was able to cry, really cry, and let out all his sorrow and pain. Kyou sobbed into Yuki's chest uncontrollably, the years of concealed emotion flowing out of him.

Kyou's tears soaked through Yuki's shirt, the damp feel against his chest awoke him. Yuki's eyes opened wide in surprise when he saw Kyou in his bed.

"Kyou?! What are you doing here?!"

Kyou head rose slowly from Yuki's chest and his eyes met with Yuki's

"Please let me stay, just until his face goes away and I can't hear the voice anymore, please."

Yuki looked at the pitiful figure wrapped around him, Kyou's eyes were bloodshot, and his face was streaked with tears. Yuki remembered that he had felt the same way once, when the dreams wouldn't stop, and he wished that someone would hold him and make the memories go away. No one had ever come, they left him in the darkness alone, why should he be there for Kyou when no one had been there for him, why should he show any sympathy for the one who had hated him, despised him?

But then Yuki looked at Kyou again, the redhead sobbing into his chest, how miserable he was, and then Yuki's eyes softened.

"Okay."

Yuki wrapped an arm around Kyou and with his other hand wiped the tears from Kyou's cheeks.

Soon after they both fell into a deep sleep.

Yuki woke up the next morning when he felt cool air on his chest where Kyou had been. Yuki wondered if Kyou being there had been a dream. He sat up and looked around the room for the cat, his gaze stopped at the window, it was open.

That was strange. Why did Kyou come to my room?Why did I let him stay? I know we don't hate each other anymore, but it wasn't so long ago that we could hardly speak to each other, when I couldn't even laugh in front of him, when he was afraid to show his affection for Kazuma in front of me. A year ago I never would have believed that I would show Kyou the scar Akito had given me, or that Kyou slept in my bed, I can hardly believe it now. I keep expecting this to be a dream, to wake up with a dry shirt, my window closed, and the sheets next to me flat and smooth, but it seems the wish won't come true, it really did happen. How can I handle it? How can I confront him? Maybe I won't have to, he's never home anymore. Why? Why did I let him stay? I just caused all these problems for myself, what to say, what to do, I just don't know.
Sign up to rate and review this story