Categories > Cartoons > Batman > Mantle

Chapter Two

by Slades_Downfall 0 reviews

The Titans arrive in Gotham City. Robin visits Alfred.

Category: Batman - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover, Drama - Characters: Alfred Pennyworth, Batman, Beast Boy, Cyborg, Detective Yin, Raven, Robin, Starfire - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-08-09 - Updated: 2005-08-09 - 2524 words

-1Predictable
Chapter Two

"It's good you've decided to stay. You don't know how bad it's gotten already," Detective Ellen Yin said in a relieved voice when Robin accepted the mantle of the Batman. "Things have gotten worse and it's only been two weeks."

"What's the situation?" Robin asked; he sat down in a chair beside Bruce's bed. Bruce had drifted into sleep and Robin hoped he would be able to get enough rest.

"Well, without Batman to protect the city, Gotham's worst are having no trouble doing whatever they want. The police force is overwhelmed. Chief Rojas' best are being stretched to the limit, including me. Ever since Ethan...well you know..." her voice trailed off. Robin nodded.

Ethan Bennett had been Bruce's best friend from childhood. They had grown apart over the years, and after an incident with the Joker, Ethan had become a villain known as Clayface, a fierce enemy of the Batman. They rarely talked or saw each other anymore because Ethan could not conceal his superpower for a long period of time.

That was why he had to keep changing form, so no one would find him, and if they did talk, it was as Batman and Clayface, not as Bruce Wayne and Ethan Bennett.

Robin knew this because Batman told him. There were no secrets with them then, but now they're relationship was different, distant and strained, he hadn't spoken with him until his hospital visit that day. He just hadn't seen the need to. Robin snapped out of his reverie to listen to what Detective Yin was telling him.
Detective Yin paused, "...left us, I'm the only one who supports working with the Batman. That may all change though."

"Why?"

"One of our best recruits, James Gordon is being considered to become Commissioner of the Gotham Police Department. He could replace Rojas."

"And what will that change about Batman's relationship to the Police Department?" Robin asked.

"Well, James Gordon is friendly to the Batman."

"You know this, how?"

"I was with him when he first met the Batman, and I went with him when he would have meetings with him to discuss strategies for protecting Gotham. He is on your side and he believes if we worked together fighting crime would be easier. Yes, if he replaces Rojas then the Police Department will be friendlier towards the Batman. It will be hard though. Who knows how many villains have officers in their pockets. I hope it will help you."

"That's very good, very good. It's about time they start helping rather than hindering."

Robin sighed, it had been frustrating. The people loved the Batman and Robin; they were the heroes, the ones who saved them.

The Police however, considered them to be a threat. Chief Rojas had a "No Tolerance for Freaks Policy," and he wouldn't have the Batman and Robin outdoing the Gotham Police Department. Not that the Gotham Police Department did a great deal for the city, many officers willingly took bribes from criminals. Corruption was rampant and a few like James Gordon were there to actually dish out justice to the lowlifes of Gotham.

That was why the Batman was there. He would give justice when the police didn't or wouldn't. He was a beacon in the darkness, when there was trouble; he was there to stop it. The people had come to accept the Dark Knight and evildoers had come to fear him, until he fell.
Now there was no one to defend them from the thieves, the muggers, the rapists, and the murderers that plagued the streets like locusts. At least, that was how it had been for two weeks. But nor more, that was all going to end.

Criminals were literally celebrating the Dark Knight's fall in the streets; they thought he was gone forever. They were wrong; he would come back in a different person. The student would become the master; he would take his place and keep the city safe until Bruce had recovered.

"Detective Yin, I must ask you a question," Robin began heavily.

"What is that?" Ellen Yin asked.

"Did you know the Batman was Bruce Wayne?"

"No, I didn't," she replied. "Not until he called me on the Batwave the night he was attacked in Wayne Manor. Believe me; I was shocked when I saw him. I had worked with him for years, but never in my wildest dreams did I think Bruce Wayne was the Batman. The two just didn't go together."

"The swinging bachelor and the brooding Dark Knight different as day and night huh?" Robin laughed. "But he was one and the same. He just had to persuade you that he wasn't." Robin changed the subject. "Where are they keeping Alfred?"

"Well, he's in this room too. I'm surprised he wasn't up when you walked in," Yin pointed down passed Bruce's bed. Robin saw the figure in it was none other than Alfred Pennyworth. Robin was just as shocked at his condition as he was shocked with Bruce's. One of his arm's was broken and in a sling. His face was bruised badly and one of his eyes was swollen shut. His injuries weren't serious for a normal, average age person, he was older, mid fifties to early sixties and injuries were harder for his body to heal.

"Master Dick, is that you Sir?" came his voice. Normally it was bright and chipper, but now he seemed tired and exhausted. He opened his eyes and blinked at Robin. Robin moved to sit beside him on a chair.

"How are you doing Alfred? They treat you good around here?" Robin asked. The elderly man looked at him. A pair of grey eyes met blue ones, and he nodded. Alfred gave Robin's hand a shake. It was weak but still, he did his best.
"My treatment here is first rate; as much as can be expected from Gotham's finest hospital. I am fine. But I fear this has done more to Master Bruce than just bodily injury."

Robin nodded. "I know Alfred. Don't you worry about a thing; I'll handle Bruce's affairs while he's recovering. That's why I came back."
"Does that include Master Bruce's 'night hobby' as well?"

"Yes, Alfred, it includes Bruce's 'night hobby' as you call it."

"Well, be careful Master Dick. I don't want to have an unexpected roommate."

"Understood, Alfred understood. Believe me; I won't let that happen to me. What became of all Bruce's equipment?"

"Bane obliterated it Sir, it's completely destroyed." Robin was disappointed.

"Including the Batmobile?" One thing Robin had always wanted to do while he lived with Bruce was drive the Batmobile. It was special to Bruce and he had not given him permission to drive it, ever.

"Yes, including the Batmobile," Alfred replied.

"Guess we'll have to start from scratch huh?"

"That shouldn't be too hard. Although Bane stole quite a bit of Master Bruce's assets, he still has plenty. I remember that Bruce got much of his equipment from one Lucius Fox. I think he's still alive. He could probably provide you with the necessary equipment for your 'night hobby'."

"Did Bruce ever tell Lucius what the equipment was for?"

"He said it was for extreme sports I think Sir."

"Well what I do is extreme but it's hardly a sport," Robin smiled. "I hope you recover soon Alfred."

"Me too, Sir," Alfred replied. "Are you leaving now?"

"Yes, I have to be going to start building from scratch." He stood up. He walked over to Detective Yin who had quietly been listening from her seat near Bruce.

"Don't worry, Robin, I'll contact you if anything comes up."
"Thanks. I better be going. I have a lot of work to do."


The Teen Titans had been in the T Car for six hours before they saw the outskirts of Gotham City. "So this is Gotham City. It is very large. How will we find friend Robin in such a large place?" Starfire asked. That was the question that had been bothering all of them. Cyborg had tried to reach Robin's Communicator only to find that he wasn't answering or it had been shut off. He was even more worried because Robin's homing signal wasn't picking up either.
Of course they didn't know that Robin had shut off his Communicator and his homing signal
before he left, he hadn't worn his uniform when he left and he didn't want them to know where he was in Gotham. If his friends knew where he was that might be more of a hindrance than a help to him. If he was to become Batman, he had to work alone. That was his reputation for the most part. The Titans didn't know any of this. They just knew their leader had left them in a hurry with no explanation at all. That was why they followed him, they wanted answers.

"I have no idea Starfire," Cyborg replied. "I suppose we'll have to look."

"Who knows how long how long that'll take," Beast Boy complained. "We could be here for months!"

"We'll be here as long as it takes for us to find Robin," Cyborg said. "Besides, it's not easy for someone as well known as Robin to just disappear."

"I know nobody's brought this up but what if we get there and no one knows where Robin is," Raven said. "Superheroes in Gotham usually have secret identities."

"How would you know?" Beast Boy asked. "We don't have secret identities, why's Gotham different?"

"It's a lot more dangerous there than Jump City. All the villains you've ever heard of come from Gotham City."

"Okay Raven, name some," Beast Boy said.
"The Joker, The Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Firefly, Bane, Clayface, Catwoman, The Man-Bat, and Scarface."

"I've heard of the Joker," Cyborg said. "Didn't some kind of chemical accident cause his face to be permanently disfigured?"

"Yeah, he's got like a permanent smile on his face and he looks like a clown but he's a psycho criminal who kills people," Beast Boy added, "I think that's why I'm afraid of clowns."

"Beast Boy, you're afraid of clowns?" Cyborg burst out laughing. "I didn't know that!"

"But what are these 'secret identities' you speak of Beast Boy?" Starfire asked. She had never heard the term before and it puzzled her.

"Secret identities are something superheroes use to hide the fact that they have superpowers," Beast Boy explained.

"Why would one wish to hide their powers if they have them?" Starfire didn't understand what he meant by it.

"Starfire, in Gotham City, there are lots of criminals who would love to find out who Batman is, who he is when he's not wearing his costume so they could hurt him."

"I think I understand friend Beast Boy. The Man of Bats is not always in costume so people do not know who he is, correct?"

He nodded. "Now you're getting it!"

"So friend Beast Boy, do you have one of these secret identities that we do not know?" Beast Boy shifted uncomfortably.

"Come on, little Grass Stain, out with it!" Cyborg prompted.

"Okay fine, you're all gonna laugh at me though," Beast Boy said. "My real name is...Garfield Logan." Everyone except Raven burst out laughing.

"You're name is Garfield," Cyborg laughed, "like the fat cat in the comics section of the newspaper?"

"Yeah, like the fat cat," Beast Boy was blushing red but because of his green skin tone it made him turn brown.

"But friend Beast Boy when you are Garfield Logan are you green as well?" Starfire asked.

"Yeah, I'm kinda famous for it, actually."
"How so?"

"Dude, it's a long story that you don't wanna know," Beast Boy said simply. "So how 'bout you, Cyborg? Since you thought my name was so funny it's your turn."

"Okay, okay, my name is Victor Stone," Cyborg admitted. "My father was a scientist. But when I had my accident, he hat to replace my body with all my cybernetic parts."

"I see," Beast Boy looked at Starfire. "So on Tamaran, what do they call you besides Starfire?"

"They call me Kor'iander," she replied.

"Okay...Is there any way we can turn that into something that sounds remotely like English?" Beast Boy frowned.

"Kory Ander?" Starfire suggested.
He shrugged. "It works. So Raven, what about you?"

"I don't have one," she said flatly.

"You don't have one what?" Beast Boy asked.
"A secret identity, I don't have one. I never needed one; I've always been called Raven."

"So do you have a last name of some kind?"

"My mother's name, before she went to the dimension of Azarath, she was called Angela Roth."

"Well Raven Roth then," Beast Boy said. "I don't think I'm gonna get used to calling you guys by your real names, but I guess I'll have to."

"Well Garfield let's hope we won't have to use our real names for long because you know I won't stop bugging you about it." Beast Boy, Garfield Logan groaned loudly.

"Friend Victor?" Starfire, now Kory Anders asked.

"Yes, Kory?"

"If friend Robin has a secret identity too do you know what it is?"

"I have no idea. We never talked about this kind of stuff. I never thought we'd need to."
"If we do not know who he is then how will we find him?"

"I suppose we'll have to look, Kory."

Cyborg watched as they entered Gotham City. It was a large, bustling metropolis filled with people going about their daily lives. They took little notice of the T Car, although some did look up in curiosity before moving on with their business.

"We're gonna have to do something about the T Car," Beast Boy said verily. Cyborg was very picky about the T Car. He claimed it was his "Baby".

"Like what?"

"We're going to have to paint it," Beast Boy said. Victor looked mortified.

"There is NO WAY you are going to paint MY BABY! IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN!" he shouted at Beast Boy.

"Sorry dude, we can't help it. The T Car just looks too superheroish and it might draw out the bad guys."

"So?" Cyborg asked sarcastically.

"What do you mean by 'so'? Do you remember where we are? This is Gotham City! Being a superhero means risking your neck!"

"If the T Car has to be painted then I'm doing it," Cyborg conceded.

"Have it your way dude," Beast Boy said. "Phew! I thought you were gonna kill me or something."

"You're lucky I'm driving," Cyborg muttered under his breath.

Kory Anders looked out at the streets of Gotham City. She wondered why Robin would come here. She didn't understand everything that was going on. She hoped like the others that they would find him so he could tell them what was going on. But the Titans had no idea where to look or where to start, they just hoped they would find him. They had no idea what was going to happen but the truth that they would discover would be so incredible it would be something they would never forget for the rest of their lives.
Sign up to rate and review this story