Categories > Original > Romance > You're Gone

As You Sleep

by Jasmine_1 1 review

Karrow has a panic attack and she has a revelation...

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2007-01-03 - Updated: 2007-01-04 - 1131 words

0Unrated
AN: Review pleaassee? Am I such a bad writer that only my friends will review? Please, some stranger, anyone, it doesnt matter who, just review and tell me if i should continue this online. I'm entering this in a competition with everything from the beginning to the end of this chapter as a short story, and I do not want to embarass myself.
----------------------------

" Flight from Chicago to Hong Kong, now boarding." At that, they picked up and went as quickly as they could on no energy.

They hurried onto their plane, leaving the wonders of Chicago in their dust.

Karrow was sure that she wouldn't be able to recall anything but the movie and the meals from this flight. Everything was a blur as she slept and woke periodically. Her dreams and reality merged and she wasn't sure she could be considered lucid anymore. Bits and pieces of it floated in her mind. ' Apple, spinach, movie, seatbelt, landing... Landing!' She shot up to see everyone sitting upright and fixing their seatbelts.

Every feeling that she had felt hit her at once and her stomach clenched. Anxiety and fear were there with her happy thoughts, swarming her mind. What if her nightmare came true? It scathed her mind. All she could see was the panic and all that she could feel was gravity. Her eyes opened and her dad came into her sight. Her shaking calmed a little. 'It was just a silly dream...' Rowe imagined her father saying that to her and she suddenly felt better. 'Stop being so dramatic!' Karlyn's voice sounded in her head. Her dry throat stopped closing. She closed off her vision and gathered her sweater around her tighter.

Before she even realized it, the plane had landed. All of her fears were abolished, just like that. The girl sighed again, only this time, it was because she was relieved.

They were unloaded off of the plane and the fake breeze from air conditioners blasted at them. 'Is this what it's supposed to be like?' It didn't seem very impressive so far. The bright hall lead to a set of dark marble stairs but much to her disappointment, they were travelling down one of the many escalators next to the display. The long trip down ended on a majestic floor, set in a mystical green and black marble. She looked at her shoes as they were put to shame. 'That's pretty sad.' Karrow's brown eyes spotted their next destination. Another first was given to her that day, as she got to ride on an underground subway. How they fit one in the airport, she had no idea. She still wasn't sure that it lived up to it's expectations.

As if to contradict her, some large doors moved open to reveal a stunning building. Just from what she could see, there was an intricate layout of escalators, high and low. The ceiling was clear glass, and showed every inch of sky that it could. It could've been mistaken as being just as high as the purple and blue expanse of air. The white walls were brilliant against the dark ground and suddenly, Karrow wasn't sure she ever wanted to leave. It was all just so much for her small town eyes!

She swivelled her head around, wildly trying to set every detail into her mind. Her dad began talking his native language and she was confused. Who was he talking to? The teenager turned her head to spy an asian woman with bright pink lipstick. Her hair was short and coarse, and a deeply dark brown. She, too, looked around and leapt onto Keely. She felt a slight panic for her sister, but upon seeing her father just laugh, she relaxed. Karlyn was her next victim. Thankfully for the woman, the girl had gotten an adequate sleep and didn't bite her head off.

"Oh, is this Karrow? Karrow, it's me! Your aunt!" The woman could speak English as well? She could feel the sheepish expression on her face. She had actually thought that this woman could hurt her! So when she pounced onto her, she only smiled and hugged back.

"This, this is your uncle! Okay? Okay, uncle, this is..." her accent punctured her speaking as she attempted to remember their names,"Karrow, Keely, and... Karly!"

The woman nodded her head emphatically at the stoic Chinese man, who was apparently her husband. He smiled in a way that reminded her of her own father and she couldn't help but beam back.

"Oh actually, it's Kar-lyn," he started with a grin. Her father made sure to emphasize on 'lyn'. His own Cantonese accent became less apparent in his hometown environment.

For a few minutes all that they did was talk in the native language as they hurried through the screening process to leave. Karrow once again floated into her own mindset to daydream. Her head tilted up and she noticed that it was night out, and the complete opposite of what it was at home. It had taken a whole day of travelling and a lot of dreaming, but they had finally made it to Hong Kong. Even if they didn't have a camera, she would never forget any of this trip, whether the memories were good or bad. She was shaken out of her thoughtful state by Keely with a friendly shove.

"Come on, we're ready to leave!" Her impish smile matched her short stature." We're going with them and Karlyn and dad are taking a cab, in case you weren't listening. We better get going!"

She watched her feet as they walked through the doors and Karrow took her first step into the gigantic city. Her widened eyes looked up at the dark building and colored lights. The scent of being foreign registered in her brain, and she breathed in the humidity in the air. She loved the taste of the air, and ultimately of the city. She could feel the heat in the dead of night and it was one of the best things that she had ever felt. She was free to change in this country and the results would be catastrophic or for the better when she went home.

Karrow would tan, she would meet people that she would never see again, and she would bring back proof to show that she really did go there. Most of all, she would know that she did. She would remember the adventures of trying new things and the memories would stay with her for as long as she wrote them down.

She'd know what the city felt, tasted, looked, and smelled like. Karrow would know Hong Kong and it would know her. Her hopes had come true.
-----------------------------------------
'As You Sleep'- great song, check it out.

Jasmine
Sign up to rate and review this story