Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Pink and Blue Blues

And A Fine Time Was Had By All

by zeez5 2 reviews

The big day finally arrives, along with other stuff.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Gaara, Genma, Hinata, Ino, Iruka, Jiraiya, Kakashi, Naruto, Sakura, Shikamaru, Temari, Tsunade - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-01-07 - Updated: 2007-01-08 - 9617 words

1Moving
AN: Even though this story somehow got rated OOC, I'm still proud of it. This chapter will not be too deep and generally just for fun, silliness, and fluffiness.

Also, after some debate, I thought I would go ahead and briefly describe the wedding, after a bit of research on Japanese wedding ceremonies and sort of making it a Narutoverse shinobi version. That means I'm taking some liberties and making some stuff up, particularly the "vows" because I couldn't for the life of me find an example. I honestly hope no one takes offense and I hope it works.

One more thing: I do not own the lyrics to "Bad Medicine" by Bon Jovi. Oh, yeah, and I don't own Naruto

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter 11: And A Fine Time Was Had By All

Sakura slowed to a lope, then to a walk. Five miles. That was a good run. Tsunade had given her the okay to resume her physical training several weeks ago, and she dove into it with a vengeance. She was determined to get rid of her "jelly belly" and regain her figure, and her body had responded well. She was feeling sleek, well toned, and ready to take on the world.

She walked slowly, cooling down and occasionally shaking her legs, holding her face up to the sun. It wasn't quite spring yet, but it felt like it. After that run, she didn't feel at all cold in her jog bra and tight running shorts. Good wedding weather. She let out a happy giggle as she stretched her arms up. Spreading her feet apart, she bent over, pressing her palms to the ground and holding that position for a few minutes to stretch her leg muscles.

"Now that's a view I could get used to," she heard a male voice drawl behind her.

Startled, she straightened up and spun around. Unnoticed by her, Genma had appeared somewhere behind her and walked up to her, looking her up and down. Sakura pointedly ignored him and looked around for the jacket she had left on a nearby bench when she started her run. Genma watched her for a moment, then brought the jacket from behind his back, holding it up.

"Looking for this?"

Sakura reached for it, but he pulled it back out of her reach. "What'll you give me for it?" he asked slyly.

Sakura gave him a bored, irritated look. "How about a knee in the groin?"

"Ouch." Genma handed the jacket to her and she put it on and zipped it up with a decisive movement.

"See you," she said curtly.

Genma grinned and watched her as her as she headed away. He called out, "I hate to see you go, but I love watching you leave."

"That's starting to get old, Genma-san," Sakura replied wearily without turning around.

Genma chuckled as he turned away. "No, it isn't."

-----------------------------

At nearly three months, Aiko was now on a bottle and feeding her was a shared duty. That afternoon, Kakashi had fed her and put her down for her nap while Sakura was out for her run. He was applying himself fiercely to his own training when not occupied with parenting duties. He had an entirely new motivation for being the best at what he did, not only to protect his village and the two most important people in his life, but also to live long enough to see his daughter grow up. At the moment, though, he was comfortably parked on the couch with his feet up, catching up on his reading.

He glanced up as Sakura came through the door. She pulled off her jacket and tossed it onto a chair before going over to the couch. God! She looks good enough to eat! he thought. Smiling and setting his book aside, he held out his hand to her and she sat on his lap.

"Good run?" he asked, giving her a kiss and wrapping his arms around her bare midriff.

"Uh-huh." Sakura wound her arms around his neck with a smile. "Except for Genma lurking around, acting like the title of Village Badass is up for grabs."

"Huh! Nobody can out-badass me," said Kakashi. "What was it this time? Another of his lame pick-up lines?"

"Sort of," Sakura said dismissively.

"Like 'I must be a pirate, 'cause I'm diggin' your booty'?"

Sakura gave a little chuckle. "No, he hasn't topped that one yet."

"Do you want me to talk to him?" Although the little game Genma had started was fairly harmless, it was becoming a bit annoying, particularly to Kakashi, which was probably Genma's plan in the first place.

"No, no!" Sakura assured him easily. "I can take care of myself if I feel like it."

"Seriously, if he gives you any more crap, deck him."

"I might. Or I may just call his bluff," Sakura mused, leaning her head against his.

"Hmm. That might be interesting." Kakashi brushed his lips lightly against her ear. "Just don't let him call yours."

"Don't worry." Sakura turned Kakashi's head and kissed him slowly. She parted her lips slightly and he slid his tongue in between them, pulling her closer to him.

After a few minutes, Sakura asked, "So, how's Baby?"

"Mmm, Baby's fantastic," Kakashi growled, nibbling softly on Sakura's lower lip and working his way over her chin and down her throat, tasting the saltiness of her skin.

She giggled. "No, dummy, I mean Aiko. I'm assuming she's asleep."

"Well fed and sound asleep." The little clock on the shelf chimed three and Kakashi suddenly looked up. "Oh, crap! I was supposed to meet with Gai for some sparring!"

"Well, go do that," Sakura told him, rolling off his lap. "He'll expect you to be late, anyway. I'll have some dinner ready for when you get home."

Kakashi started to get up from the couch, then paused. With a slight smile on his lips, he touched Sakura's cheek. "Home," he repeated. "That sounds nice."

-------------------------------

The next day, Sakura's mood took a nose dive. She and Kakashi had gone for a walk to the village. As they pushed Aiko through the shopping district in her stroller (another hand-me-down from the Yamanaka family), Sakura was gratified by the admiring looks Aiko received. The tone of the village had changed a lot towards them. Not too long after their first public appearance with their daughter, they had started receiving a surprising number of gifts, and Aiko had quickly become one of the best dressed babies in Konoha.

As they walked along the street, Sakura slowed and came to a stop in front of the display window of one of the more high-end shops. There was a large empty spot where something obviously had been and which had yet to be filled. Sakura gazed, crestfallen, through the window.

"What's the matter?" Kakashi asked her.

"It's gone," she replied. She put her face closer to the glass to get a better look inside the shop.

"What's gone?"

"You know! That wedding kimono that was on display here. Somebody must have bought it." Disappointment filled Sakura's voice. She was never really that big on clothes, but that exquisite white and silver kimono was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. They had decided on a traditional wedding, and Kakashi already had the kimono that his father had worn at his wedding and which had been carefully preserved and wrapped with seals.

Sakura wanted to wear something traditional as well, and had been looking at a fair amount of less expensive wedding attire, but that kimono had caused her something of a dilemma. It was so beautiful, but it was just too much, and at two weeks before the wedding, she had yet to find anything that even came close.

Kakashi put a hand on her shoulder. "You said it was outrageously expensive. Actually, the word you used was 'prohibitive.' 6000 ryou, wasn't it?"

"I know. It's just...I liked looking at it."

"I even offered to get it for you, but you kept telling me it was way too much to spend on something you were only going to wear once."

"Yeah, I know." Sakura hesitated for a moment, then said, "Hold on for a minute, I'll be right out." She went into the shop. Kakashi was glad his mask was hiding his smile. He looked down into the stroller and Aiko looked up at him. She was happily occupied with grabbing her foot and trying to stuff it into her mouth. When she saw Kakashi, she grinned up at him. She was most definitely going to be a daddy's girl.

"Hi, sunshine," he said softly to her, reaching down to stroke her cheek with a finger.

"Hey, Pops!"

Kakashi's brows knit slightly as he glanced up to see Genma come sauntering over to him, ruining a perfectly fine father-daughter moment.

"Yo," he replied casually.

Genma peered into the stroller and waggled his fingers at Aiko. "Hey, rugrat," he said to her by way of greeting. Turning to Kakashi he dryly remarked, "Another adventure in shopping?"

"What can I do for you, Genma?" Kakashi asked him.

"Glad you asked. I wanted to extend an invitation to you for a little informal evening of drinks with the guys this Saturday." Genma told him. He raised an eyebrow. "That is, of course, if you can get permission."

Oh, you are so close to being dead. "I'd be delighted to come," Kakashi replied, the delight not too evident in his voice.

Genma brightened happily. "That's great!" he exclaimed, giving Kakashi a punch in the arm. "I knew you couldn't possibly be that whipped!"

Kakashi snatched the senbon from Genma's mouth and began twirling it deftly between his fingers. "Just FYI, Genma-san, the next time you feel compelled to make suggestive comments to Sakura, think twice." The senbon froze in his fingers. "Or I might feel compelled to shove this up your ass."

With a slight, unperturbed grin, Genma retrieved his senbon and replaced it between his lips. "No problem." With a parting nod, he started walking away. "About eight o'clock! See you then!"

Sakura came back out of the shop, her expression showing how much she was battling her disappointment.

"So, did somebody buy it?" Kakashi asked her.

"Yeah, some feudal lord," Sakura muttered. "It doesn't matter. It's just...well..." she shook her head. "No, it doesn't matter! I'll find something else."

"I'll tell you what," Kakashi said. He put an arm around her and pulled her close to him. "Tsunade told me that she's expecting some clients to finally pay up for some past missions that I'm owed for, probably by the beginning of next week. I know it'll be kind of last minute, but we'll go and look for something really nice. Okay?"

Sakura smiled at him. "Okay," she consented with only a slight amount of reluctance..

"By the way, Genma invited me out for drinks on Saturday, just so you know."

"Oh, okay," Sakura replied easily. Then a thought struck her. "Genma, huh? Are you sure this isn't some kind of stag party with a stripper?"

"To be honest, it occurred to me." Sakura frowned up at him and could tell by the certain way the little lines around his eyelid were crinkling that he had a wicked smile under his mask. "But something else occurred to me just after that, so don't be concerned."

"What do you mean?" Whenever Kakashi got that particular gleam in his eye, it generally meant somebody was in for it.

"Oh, nothing," he replied nonchalantly.

---------------------------------------

"A bridal shower?" Sakura stared with surprise at Tsunade. She had gone to the hospital to work a shift, and had met her mentor there.

Tsunade smiled back at her. "Yes. In my reception room. I thought Saturday evening would be good, if you're free?"

"Oh, sensei, that's so sweet of you!" Sakura gave her a hug. "Kakashi will be out, so I'll be bringing Aiko with me, if that's okay."

"Okay? I insist you bring her! You know I'd love to see my honorary granddaughter!"

------------------------------------------

That evening, Kakashi walked over to Akira's Sake Bar. There seemed to be quite a party going when they got there. The same crowd that had come to blows some months earlier (AN: see end of Ch. 6, if you haven't already) were creating a fairly convivial atmosphere amongst themselves. Sake, beer, and other alcoholic beverages were flowing freely, and a stereo was thumping away loudly somewhere in the background.

Genma caught sight of him and crossed the room, a bottle of Kirin in one hand. "All right! The guest of honor is here!" He clapped Kakashi on the back. "It's open bar, help yourself!"

Kakashi quickly glanced over his shoulder to see if Genma had stuck a "kick me" sign on his back. "Thanks," he replied. He started making the rounds. At one point, he found himself gravitating towards the married jonin, who seemed to have considerably lightened up concerning him.

"So how's your little girl?" Inoichi asked him. "She's, what, three months now?"

Kakashi nodded. "Just about."

"That's a good age," Shikaku said. "They really start noticing things and reacting to your voice."

"And they smile a lot," added Choza, with a nostalgic smile of his own.

The evening went on fairly pleasantly. A few of the guests got a little silly, but there was no unseemly behavior. Kakashi was actually starting to enjoy himself. Then Genma stood in the middle of the room and gave a piercing whistle.

"Okay, everybody, listen up!" he said as the noise subsided. "As you all know, we're here to help our good friend and fellow shinobi warrior Kakashi-san celebrate his last few days of freedom." Cheers, whistles, and woofing emanated from many in the crowd. Kakashi acknowledged this dubious adulation with a slight nod. Genma held up his hands for silence, and he continued. "I know I speak for everyone when I say we were all pretty surprised that he finally managed to lose his virginity-sorry, sorry!-/heart/ and fall head over heels, blah, blah, blah..." This was met with laughter and amiably mocking groans of "A-w-w-w!" Someone in the crowd made a loud retching sound.

"Anyway, that being said," Genma turned and gave a signal to Izumo, who was standing near the stereo that had been playing earlier. He pushed a button and some pulsing, bump-and-grind music started playing. A couple of the younger jonin wheeled a large, glossy black and gold enameled box into the middle of the room, and loud cheers erupted.

Shikaku gave a start. "Oh, shit!" he muttered. "I didn't know about this."

Inoichi gave him a quick, slightly guilty glance. "I won't tell if you won't."

Shikaku shook his head. "Oh, she'll find out one way or another."

Kakashi merely smiled to himself.

"That being said," Genma went on, standing next to the box, "we just wanted to show our dear friend Kakashi-san just what he's going to be missing out on!" Like a stage magician, Genma gave the top of the box a couple of sharp raps with his knuckles and stood back.

The lid of the box flipped open. The cheers grew to a climax, then awkwardly froze into silence. Emerging from the box, arms spread open, completely buck naked, wearing only a gleaming smile, was Jiraiya.

Words could not quite describe the wonderfully gratifying look of shock and utter puzzlement on Genma's face. The senbon slipped from his mouth and fell with a tinny clatter on the floor.

Jiraiya glanced at him. "You might want to wash that off before you put it back in your mouth."

Those in the crowd who were not moaning with disappointment were laughing uproariously, and none louder than Kakashi, who fell back into a chair, tears starting to run down his face. Genma looked back and forth from the silver-haired jonin to Jiraiya with burning indignation.

"Kakashi, you rat bastard!" he bellowed over the noise. "You played me!"

Kakashi managed to finally ease up on his mirth and went over to the box in which Jiraiya still stood, calmly surveying the room. Kakashi took a 20 ryou note from his vest pocket, and rolling it up tightly, he held it out to the naked Sannin.

Jiraiya looked down at him, glaring narrowly. "Where do you think you're going to put that?"

"Just take it and sit down!" Kakashi replied.

"No. I've been curled up in that box for an hour."

"You're going to cause a riot."

"Well, you know, when you've got it..." Jiraiya flexed one of his pectoral muscles, making it jiggle up and down.

"I'll give you another twenty to not do that again."

"Jealousy is an ugly thing, Kakashi-san." Jiraiya drew himself up with chilly dignity. "I'll have you know there are still plenty of miles left on this body!"

"Yeah, but it's going to be one hell of a rough ride."

Jiraiya snatched the twenty from Kakashi's fingers. "I was going to do this for free, but like they say, a fool and his money..."

Kakashi glanced over at the still fuming Genma and grinned wickedly under his mask. "You got that right."

---------------------------------

The shower being held in the Hokage's reception room was a somewhat more sedate affair, although there was a loud explosion of giggling when Tsunade told them about Kakashi's counter assault on Genma's stripper idea. Jiraiya had let her in on the scheme, and he had been more than eager to step in. Apparently he was well acquainted with the people in that particular industry. Go figure.

The gifts Sakura received consisted of a few basic domestic items, but mostly some very interesting lingerie. Tsunade then excused herself for a moment and returned carrying a very large rectangular box. She set it down on the low table in front of Sakura and stepped back.

Sakura glanced up at her, then pulled the lid from the box. Pushing a couple of layers of tissue paper aside, she gave a huge startled gasp, almost a scream, and covered her wide open mouth with her hands. Inside the box was the white and silver kimono. Tears sprang from her eyes as she looked back up at Tsunade. "Thank you!" she cried over the collective gasps from the other girls around the table, her voice shaky. "Thank you! Thank you so much! How did you know?"

"How else? Kakashi told me. Actually, he came here a few weeks ago to ask for an advance to buy it for you," Tsunade explained. "I told him to save his money, and I contacted my old friend Chokaku Jirouchou. Aside from being a good friend of mine, he's always been deeply grateful for the help you and Team Seven gave him during the Todori Race (AN: filler episode 97), and he still asks if there's anything he can to for you." Tsunade shrugged. "So I suggested this."

Sakura looked back down at the kimono, touching almost reverently with her fingertips. Good old Boss Jirouchou, she thought, then laughed at herself for sounding like Naruto.

---------------------------------------------------

"Well," Kakashi said, feeling slightly self-conscious. "What do you think?"

He stood before Gai, Iruka, and Naruto, he arms spread slightly to the sides. He was wearing the wedding kimono that had once belonged to his father. It consisted of a black montsuki kimono tucked into pleated black hakama pants. Over this he wore a black haori overcoat that came to just above his knees.

Gai quivered for a moment with repressed emotion, then burst out, "Curse you, Kakashi! You have managed to pull off a look of serenely traditional formality coupled with complete and utter coolness!" He gave a tearful sniff. "Someday I will best you, but today is yours!"

Kakashi's mask hid a smile as he turned to Iruka, who merely grinned and pointed to Gai. "What he said."

Naruto was uncharacteristically quiet as he gazed at Kakashi, his blue eyes solemn.

"Are you okay, Naruto?"

Naruto seemed to catch himself and managed a slight smile. "Oh, yeah, sure! It...it's just..." He gave a little shrug. "I mean, you look great and everything. It's just..." His blue eyes widened slightly. "This is really it. You're really marrying Sakura."

Kakashi glanced critically at himself in the narrow mirror on the inside of his closet door. He took a slow, deep breath. "Yeah, this is really it." He smiled to himself. "I really am."

------------------------------

"Well, ladies, are we ready?" Tsunade set her veiled Hokage hat on her head. She didn't care for it much. She didn't like hats in general, and this one made her feel old. But it was a special occasion.

Sakura stared at herself in the mirror. She had never in her life worn anything this fancy or formal. It had taken the help of her three attendants, Ino, Hinata, and Ayame, to help her get it all on. The kimono, with its damasked pattern of flowers and birds, was almost dazzlingly white, the silver accents on the collar and obi giving it added richness. Her hair had been pulled back into a bun and fastened with combs and other ornaments, over which was placed a white headdress.

"I don't look like me," she said in wonder.

"Yes, you do," said Hinata, who, like the other girls, wore a red and white kimono. "You look beautiful!"

"You look freakin' awesome!" Ino concurred. She searched around the bedroom. "Where's my camera? Oh, yeah!" She grabbed her camera off one of the nightstands, glancing momentarily at the bed. /They're going to have sex on that tonight/, she suddenly thought to herself. She still wasn't sure if that made her feel uneasy or envious.

"Okay, smile!" Ino turned the camera sideways to get Sakura from head to toe and snapped the picture. Sakura blinked away yet another flash spot from her eyes.

Ayame gathered Aiko up out of her carrier. The baby girl, wearing a pink dress and pink tights with ruffles on the seat, was shoving her stuffed bunny into her mouth. When Sakura came closer to her, she looked a little unsure for a moment, but she smiled and gave her bunny a shake.

"Well, she's ready," Ayame said with a laugh, shouldering the diaper bag.

"Are you sure you don't mind holding her?" Sakura asked for the third time.

"Yes, I'm sure!" Ayame replied. "You don't dare hold her with that kimono on. What if she spits up on you?"

"Okay, let's hit the road," Tsunade announced. "The groom's party should be here any minute."

Gathering up the long hem of the kimono, Sakura stepped carefully out the door and into the afternoon sunlight just as Kakashi and his attendants approached. As she turned to face him, Kakashi stopped still and stared at her. He had, of course, seen the kimono in the store window, but he had not been quite prepared for the full effect once Sakura had it on.

His immediate impression was that she looked like a doll. A perfect, beautiful, delicate, porcelain doll that looked like Sakura but had an almost remote, inaccessible quality. The kimono fit her just fine, but it seemed to envelope her. It made her look small and young, younger than the eighteen years that she had become. He was almost afraid to touch her.

Kakashi was actually grateful when Gai let out a sob and broke the spell. The doll standing before him was his Sakura again. "So much beauty and coolness!" Gai cried. "It's almost too much to bear!" Iruka gave him a couple of reassuring claps on the shoulder.

"Wow!" was all Naruto managed to say, then he grinned a little sheepishly at Hinata.

Sakura gave Kakashi a shy little smile, feeling slightly awestruck herself. She had never seen him dressed like that, and the clothing he had on made him look as though he had just stepped out of some antique storybook. Even though she had just spent the last two hours getting ready for her wedding, it only just started sinking in that she was actually getting married, and that man standing before her in the stately black robes who was fourteen years older than her was going to be her husband.

"Magic time!" Tsunade suddenly announced. Sakura gave a little start, and gathering up her hem, she went to stand at Kakashi's side. Tsunade smiled benignly at them and began leading the procession.

They made their way through the village towards the cemetery, in the middle of which stood a small shrine. This particular location had seemed appropriate to them for its proximity to their dead loved ones. Waiting for them outside the shrine was a priest from the Temple of Fire (AN: see manga chapter 314). Since neither of them had any surviving family, Kakashi's attendants stood on his side facing Sakura's on hers.

The priest led the couple to a small altar just inside the shrine, where they knelt facing each other, their heads bowed in humble respect. He then took a staff, on the end of which were colorful paper streamers, and shook them over the bridal couple, then over the guests as part of the purification process. He returned to the altar and began to chant in a nasal, sing-song voice, asking for blessings for the couple.

At one point, Sakura, with her head still bowed, surreptitiously glanced across at Kakashi, and found that he had done the same. She could see the crease of a smile at the corner of his eyelid. She returned a tiny smile of her own and lowered her eyes again.

The priest then set out three flat cups, a small, a medium, and a slightly larger one, and poured sake into the small one. He offered it to Kakashi, who took a sip, then he gave it to Sakura, who also sipped from it. The same ritual was performed with the two other cups. This was the first time Sakura had ever had sake, and by the time the ritual was completed, she was starting to feel a slight buzz, and she had to bite her lower lip to keep from giggling when she heard Gai manfully trying to stifle a sob. The priest then indicated to the couple that they should now say their vows.

"I take this woman/man to me as my wife/husband with love and honor, above all others faithful only to her/him. I pledge my life and fortune to her/him, in all things obedient to the Shinobi Way and to the Will of Fire. We ask for the blessings of Kami-sama on this union."

The priest then offered a small cup of sake to each of the guests, alternating between the groom's side and the bride's side. Handing the couple each a small cup, they turned and raised the cups to the guests, and everyone drank the final toast. Collecting the cups, the priest gestured for the couple to rise to their feet and face their guests as husband and wife.

Naruto could no longer contain himself. He leapt up, his fist in the air and shouted "All right!" After seeing the scandalized looks on some of the others' faces, he clapped his hand over his mouth, but grinned a little when the priest gave him a kindly, slightly amused smile.

Kakashi took Sakura's hand, and she clutched it tightly. They were both feeling a little overwhelmed, and they were a little startled when Ino scampered in front of them and snapped their picture.

"Okay, how about one where you don't look so shocked," Ino remarked, advancing the film.

A few more pictures were taken, some of them with the couple holding Aiko. Tsunade remarked to the priest in an undertone, "I suppose a wedding photo with the couple holding their child isn't quite so rare these days."

The priest gave a little shrug and a smile. "Think of it as another blessing," he said diplomatically.

The dam finally burst on Gai's waterworks, and he enveloped first Kakashi, then Sakura, in a moist embrace. They received varying hugs from their other guests, and Ino held up the camera again.

"Okay, lose the mask, Kakashi-san. How about a kiss for posterity?" she suggested.

"Oh, come on, Ino," Sakura said, frowning. But Kakashi's hand went to the edge of his mask.

"You're getting one chance at this, Ino," he said. The blond kunoichi just managed to snap the picture as Kakashi lowered his mask and, taking Sakura carefully by the waist without crushing her obi, kissed her on the lips. Straightening up and pulling his mask back on, he turned to Ino. "You get it?"

Ino's eyes were wide, but she nodded. "Uh-huh." Sakura was right! she thought. He really is drop dead gorgeous!

"So when's the party?" Naruto demanded excitedly.

"In about an hour," Ayame replied. The reception was being hosted by her and her father as a gift to the couple. Teuchi had pulled in a bunch of favors from some fellow restaurateurs, and it promised to be quite a throw down.

Kakashi went back to his apartment to change, and Sakura went back to her house, where, in a flurry of chiffon, satin, and giggling, she and the other girls transformed into less traditional attire. Sakura changed into a peach tea length dress with a low back, spaghetti straps that crossed in the back, and a snug, low cut bodice. She bought this dress specifically to go with her peach Capezios (AN: see Exactly Like You) because she planned on seriously hitting the dance floor. It also made her look, even in her own opinion, incredibly hot.

Ino wore a sky blue satin number, and she had talked Hinata into a dusty pink strapless dress. It had taken a lot of talking, but once the transformation was complete, the shy girl was extremely pleased.

Tsunade opted on a gold satin gown rather than her Hokage robes. She was damned if she was going to go to a party in that thing. While the girls changed, she sat calmly giving Aiko a bottle. The baby girl suckled contentedly, occasionally patting the side of the bottle. Tsunade gave a nod towards the trio of girls, who were now working on each other's hair. "See what you have to look forward to?" she said dryly.

"Okay, do I have everything?" Sakura finally asked.

"Diapers, formula, changing pad, toys..." Hinata listed, peering into the diaper bag.

"Makeup, tissues, brush, camera, film..." Ino muttered, peering through everyone's evening bags.

"Baby..." Tsunade said pointedly.

Sakura giggled as she picked Aiko up and swung her in the air. "Are you ready to party, sweetie?" The baby girl squealed and wiggled her legs in reply.

-------------------------------

The reception was nowhere near the traditional affair that the wedding was. It was the sort of party that just worked because it had the perfect combination of food, alcohol, and a bunch of people who all knew each other. They wanted a large, open space somewhere in town, so they opted for the playground on the Academy campus. It was close to electrical hookups and restrooms. What else do you need?

By this time, most of the guests had already assembled and had gotten things flowing. Kiba and Shino were trading off DJ duties, keeping everyone happy with a good mix. Kakashi arrived outside the gates just as Sakura approached. This dress he definitely had not seen before, and he was extremely impressed. The whole porcelain doll image disappeared and was replaced with something much more interesting. He himself had opted for a black silk shirt over black slacks. Sakura had once intimated that he looked good in black, so who was he to argue?

He held out his arms and wrapped them both in his embrace. "You are incredibly beautiful," he whispered in Sakura's ear after kissing her on the temple.

"You look pretty hot, too," Sakura replied.

"Well, I guess I achieved the effect I was going for, then." He smiled. "How do you feel?" he asked her. She could tell by the tone of his voice that it wasn't her state of health that he was curious about.

"Incredibly happy," she whispered back. "And so ready."

Kakashi laughed softly, then nodded towards the party setup. "Well, first things first."

He took Aiko in his arms, partly because he felt like he hadn't seen much of her that day, but also to ensure that Sakura could make a better entrance. He smiled at the many heads that whipped around as she walked through the crowd. Genma, in particular, did a very gratifying double take, and openly stared at the vision that walked past him. He then shot a glance at Kakashi that clearly said: you lucky bastard!

Sakura beamed happily at everyone as she moved through the crowd around the dance floor that had been set up in the middle of the area and surrounded by colored lanterns. Sakura felt as though she had been on a pendulum that had swung about as far away as it could from the previous months of everyone gossiping about her behind her back to this moment, where she shone like a star. Kakashi felt his heart melt when she turned and flashed a brilliant smile at him.

"Okay," Kiba announced into the microphone at his DJ station. "We're gonna have the bride and groom dance now." He conferred quickly with Shino, and they searched quickly through the stacks of cds on the table before them. Tsunade came forward and took Aiko from Kakashi, and the couple moved to the dance floor amid scattered applause.

Sakura felt her cheeks grow pink as she looked up at Kakashi. "You remember how to do this?" he teased her.

She smirked at him. "I think I can manage." The lilting tango that Sakura had chosen started to play, and they moved gracefully over the floor. They didn't try to do anything spectacular, other than Kakashi lifting Sakura off her feet and spinning slowly with her leg hooked around his hip. As the music came to an end, Kakashi leaned Sakura back for the last few notes, then gently swung her back up. The guests applauded, another dance was racked up, and more couples moved to the dance floor.

Naruto was unable to take his eyes off Hinata, and he was the one who started to blush when she came up to him and led him off to join her in the slow dance that played next.

The late afternoon turned into evening, and the party was going well. At one point, a stir was created by the arrival of some late guests. The Kazekage, looking elegantly ascetic in his long, dark coat, accompanied by his older siblings, Temari and Kankuro, were warmly greeted by Tsunade. She escorted them to the bridal couple, who rose and bowed.

"Kazekage-sama!" Sakura said happily. "We're so glad you could come!"

Gaara smiled back at her. "We couldn't possibly refuse," he replied. "We owe you so much."

"Sakura-chan, you look fabulous!" Temari said, giving the bride a hug. She didn't look bad herself in her little black dress. She happened to glance past Sakura and catch Shikamaru's eye. The young Nara was caught quite unawares with his mouth hanging slightly open. "Excuse me for a minute," Temari said to Sakura, and headed across the playground.

Kankuro gazed at Sakura, feeling unexpectedly shy. "Um-congratulations," he stammered. Gaara smiled to himself and turned to Kakashi, who was holding Aiko. "We brought your daughter a gift," he said, giving Kankuro a nudge. His older brother gave a little start and said, "Oh, yeah!" He held out a stuffed raccoon to Aiko that was almost as big as she was. After some cautious inspection, she took the toy by the ear and brought it to her mouth, which is pretty much what she did with everything these days.

Kakashi laughed. "Thank you!" he said.

"It's good to see a child so well loved," Gaara said. He met Kakashi's eye with a look of the kind of wisdom that is born of painful experience. "You seem very happy," he observed thoughtfully.

"We are," Kakashi replied. "And you're right. She's very well loved."

"Hey, Gaara!" Naruto cried, running up to him. "It's great to-"

With his free hand, Kakashi gave Naruto a smack on the back of his head. "That's Gaara-/sama/, Naruto!"

Naruto rubbed his head and chuckled, a little embarrassed. "Sorry, I keep messing that up."

Gaara held his hand out to him and Naruto clasped it warmly. "There's no need to apologize," Gaara assured him. "I'm glad to see you, too."

Genma, who had had a comfortable amount to drink so far, had been watching the newlywed couple for a time when an impish smile grew on his lips. He grabbed a napkin, begged a pen off of one of the other guests and went over to the DJ table. Scribbling something on the napkin, he handed it to Kiba after saying something in his ear. Kiba glanced at the napkin, gave Genma an indulgent look, and started searching through the CDs. Picking one out, he took up the microphone.

"Okay, I have a request." He looked at the napkin, squinting at the hastily written note and reading it out loud as well as he could. "This is going out to the...prettiest medic-nin in the Land of Fire...Love..." Kiba shook his head slightly. "Love and kisses, Genma."

Genma had positioned himself fairly close to where Sakura and Kakashi stood, and he watched them with a smile playing around the senbon between his lips. Sakura glanced at him suspiciously. Kiba popped a CD into the stereo. There was an intro of staccato keyboard chords, joined by a bass riff and a pounding drum rhythm.

Your love is like bad medicine
Bad medicine is what I need


Sakura's green eyes flashed menacingly at Genma, who grinned back at her. Kakashi just gave him a slight nod, as if to say, very funny.

Shake it up, just like bad medicine
There ain't no doctor that can cure my disease


Sakura's eyes narrowed for a moment, then her lips curled into a smile. She went up to Genma with a look of determined purpose in her face. He watched her warily as she approached. She grabbed him by the hand and hauled him out to the dance floor.

/Bad medicine!/

Kakashi merely stepped aside to let them pass, grinning under his mask.

I ain't got a fever, got a permanent disease
It'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy
I got lots of money but it isn't what I need
Gonna take more than a shot to get this poison out of me
I got all the symptoms count 'em 1,2,3


"Okay, smart guy," Sakura said as she turned to face him. Gazing into his startled eyes with a sultry look, she slowly raised her arms, seductively moving her shoulders and hips to the driving rhythm. "Show me your moves!"

First you need
That's what you get for falling in love
Then you bleed
You get a little but it's never enough
On your knees
That's what you get for falling in love
Now this boy's addicted cause your kiss is the drug


Genma glanced nervously over at Kakashi, who merely gazed back at him with a look of calm amusement. He wasn't getting any help there.

Your love is like bad medicine
Bad medicine is what I need
Shake it up, just like bad medicine
There ain't no doctor that can cure my disease


Finally taking up the challenge, Genma began to move along with the music, a little stiffly and self-consciously at first.

Bad, bad medicine
Is what I want
Bad, bad medicine


He began to loosen up after a few moments and began to dance with more confidence, smoothly mirroring the movement of Sakura's hips. He grinned back at her with a look of playful satisfaction. Kakashi watched them calmly as the other guests laughed and cheered them on. As long as he doesn't touch anything but her hands, he'll be okay.

I don't need no needle
To be giving me a thrill
And I don't need no anesthesia
Or a nurse to bring a pill
I got a dirty down addiction
It doesn't leave a track
I got a jone for your affection
Like a monkey on my back

There ain't no paramedic
Gonna save this heart attack


Satisfied that Sakura had made her point by now and thinking that Genma was starting to have a little too much fun, Kakashi handed Aiko back over to Tsunade, who was more than pleased to take her, and he strode out to the dance floor. He gave Genma a friendly but firm shove to one side. Spreading his hands in protestation and giving Kakashi a look of mock indignation, Genma stepped aside. Kakashi slid in easily and moved closer to Sakura than Genma would have dared. Sakura smiled delightedly as the two of them moved in unison, their eyes locked.

When you need
That's what you get for falling in love
Then you bleed
You get a little but it's never enough
On your knees
That's what you get for falling in love
Now this boy's addicted 'cause your kiss is the drug

Your love is like bad medicine
Bad medicine is what I need
Shake it up, just like bad medicine
So let's play doctor, baby
Cure my disease


He took her hand and spun her around to face away from him. He pulled her back against him and placed his hand on her stomach, and she raised her hand up to caress the back of his neck. Their hips ground together as they dipped closer to the floor. Their guests sent up a loud, approving cheer. Ino found herself blushing and giggling as she watched.

Bad, bad medicine
Bad, bad medicine

I need a respirator cause I'm running out of breath
You're an all night generator wrapped is stockings and a dress
When you find your medicine you take what you can get
Cause if there's something better baby well they haven't found it yet

Your love is like bad medicine
Bad medicine is what I need
Shake it up, just like bad medicine
There ain't no doctor that can
Cure my disease

Bad, bad medicine
Bad, bad medicine


The music ended and everyone cheered the couple. Sakura laughed and hugged Kakashi.
Passing by Genma as they left the dance floor, Kakashi said to him, "And that, my friend, is what you're missing out on."

"Yeah, yeah," Genma replied in fairly good humor. "Point taken."

Kakashi collected Aiko and he and Sakura sat down at one of the tables. Kiba threw on a particularly popular hip-hop number and most of the younger guests crowded onto the dance floor. Ino ran up to Sakura and grabbed her hand.

"Come on, Sakura!" she insisted. "You're only eighteen, you have to do this one with us!"

"Okay, okay!" Sakura was still feeling a little out of breath from the last one, but she joined her friends out on the floor.

Temari came and stood in front of Shikamaru, who had been talking with his father. Shikaku leaned back in his seat and watched them with a slight smile.

"So, are you going to ask me to dance, or what?" Temari demanded.

Shikamaru rubbed the back of his neck and opened his mouth. Before he could utter the word /troublesome/, his father planted his foot on his backside, sending him into a startled Temari's arms.

Recovering his balance, Shikamaru cleared his throat and said, "Yeah, I guess I am."

With Aiko propped against him on his lap, Kakashi smiled as he watched Sakura turn back into a teenager out on the dance floor. His attention was diverted after a few moments by a minor commotion behind him and he turned to look over his shoulder. Making his way between the tables, ignoring with grave dignity the howls and catcalls directed at him with, was Jiraiya.

"Looking for a seat, gorgeous?" Inoichi called out and patted his lap as the Sannin walked past his table.

Jiraiya took the vacant seat at Kakashi's table with a deep sigh. "Being a sex symbol is exhausting work."

"I'll take your word for it," Kakashi replied.

Jiraiya regarded Kakashi thoughtfully for a few moments, smiling slightly. He never would have figured it, but fatherhood seemed to suit the silver-haired jonin. Jiraiya looked out at the crowd of bouncing young people out on the dance floor. He gave a slight nod in their direction.

"You're not going to get out on the floor and smack that?" he asked Kakashi.

Kakashi gave a quiet chuckle and glanced at the older man. "No, I don't think so. I'm a little old for that particular style."

"No, I'm old," Jiraiya corrected him. "You're still a pretty fresh piece of man candy."

Kakashi gave him a sidelong look. "That sounds a little disturbing coming from you, Jiraiya-sama."

"You made me get naked in front of a bunch of men," Jiraiya replied. "I'm entitled to say what I like to you."

Kakashi shook his head. "Fair enough." Then he added, "I'm glad you could make it."

"Wouldn't have missed it for the world." Jiraiya sat back in his chair and gazed happily at the jiggling young girls. "I wouldn't have missed that, either."

The music ended and Sakura came back to the table. She gave Jiraiya a look of mock indignation. "Jiraiya-sama, you took my seat!"

Kakashi patted his leg invitingly and Sakura sat in his lap, taking Aiko in her arms. The baby girl smiled and kicked her legs, biting happily down on her raccoon as Sakura pressed her cheek against her pink, fuzzy head.

Jiraiya beamed at them for a few moments. Kakashi had his arms draped comfortably, yet protectively around his wife and baby, watching them with contented adoration. Jiraiya didn't like to admit that he could sometimes succumb to gushy sentimentality, but that was one awfully sweet little picture. He suddenly straightened up. "Oh! I have a present for you!" He reached into his vest and pulled out a brand new orange bound hardback.

"Cool!" Kakashi exclaimed, reaching out for it. "A new one?"

Jiraiya snatched it away from him. "Paws off, lover boy!" he snapped. "This one's for the little lady."

"What?" Kakashi and Sakura said together. Jiraiya handed the book to Sakura, who stared at the title for a moment.

"/Icha Icha Honeymoon/?" she finally read out loud.

"Yes," Jiraiya replied modestly. "I wrote it with you in mind. I figured, since you're eighteen now..." He gave a shrug and a grin. "It's a bit of a departure from my usual work, being slightly more from the female point of view. Slightly."

"Jiraiya-sama, that's so..." Sakura was truly at a loss for words.

"Touching?" Jiraiya suggested. "Yes, I thought so. Do you know, I've been considering tapping into the whole female demographic by writing chick-I mean-romance novels."

"Really?" Kakashi asked dryly.

"Yes. You know. The sort of thing where the beautiful, yet feisty young heroine melts the heart of the handsome, yet coldly proud young lord." He grinned significantly at the couple across the table. "That sort of thing. "

"I can hardly wait," Sakura replied. Kakashi watched her with an amused smile as she stuffed the book into the diaper bag that had been stashed under the table.

"You are going to let me read that, aren't you?" Kakashi asked her.

"Eventually," Sakura replied coyly.

The evening progressed, and the party was enjoyed by everyone, even when Ino nearly died of embarrassment when her father and his friends all did the Electric Slide.

But nothing quite topped Gai doing the Chicken Dance. That was one for the books. It was at that point that Kakashi turned to Sakura and whispered in her ear. "What do you say?"

Sakura promptly gathered up Aiko. "Give me about forty-five minutes," she whispered back. She managed to slip away unnoticed, not wanting to spend a lot of time saying good night to people who were probably going to be too drunk to remember whether she had said good night to them.

Forty-two minutes later, Kakashi left the party, grinning to himself. He sincerely hoped the village wasn't going to be invaded anytime in the next twelve hours, not with Konoha's best and brightest heading for the sorts of hangovers that were likely to occur.

He let himself into the house quietly. He set his keys on the table by the door and looked around the room, letting the reality sink in. He had never really thought of his apartment as a home. It was a place where he slept and where he kept his stuff, and he had grown to detest it after having been confined to it for months. This place was home. It was where his family was. It was where he was going to make love to his wife and where he was going to raise his child. It was something he never thought he would ever have.

He went through the house to the bedroom and stood in the middle of the room for a while, running his eye over everything in it. Their combined collection of pictures sat on a bookshelf near the bed, just above his collection of orange novels. On a table on the other side of the room was the box that held the white kimono, which would be carefully preserved and sealed as soon as they got around to it. Kakashi smiled, recalling how Sakura had looked in it.

He unbuttoned his shirt and tossed it over a chair. He peeled off his mask and forehead protector, then sat on the bed to pull off his shoes. He could hear Sakura moving around in the bathroom on the other side of the wall. He closed his eyes for a moment and pictured her in the various stages their relationship had gone through. From the little twelve-year-old who had giggled her way through her introduction to him, to the powerful and confident young chunin and medic-nin she had worked so hard to become, to the sometimes shy, sometimes sultry woman who became his lover and, most astonishing of all, the reason for his existence.

A quiet movement made him open his eyes. Sakura stood in the bedroom doorway, wearing a sweetly shy smile that managed to be incredibly seductive. She had on a pale pink camisole and panty outfit, the designer of which had clearly been a genius. The sheer fabric clung to every curve and rise of her body and had strategically placed lace that left just enough to the imagination without completely blocking the scenery.

Kakashi was a man whose sharply honed shinobi instincts rarely let him be taken by surprise. But the vision he beheld in the doorway made an unguarded gasp escape through his lips and caused him to open both his eyes. This was too pleasurable a sight to limit to one. He gazed at her silently for several moments, and the open look of desire in his expression made her blush.

He stood up and walked over to her. He realized that he was reliving a dream he had had countless times in the past many months, and he hoped and prayed that he would not wake up.

Sakura moved towards him. She felt oddly hesitant and nervous, even though they had already made love before. This was much different somehow. This wasn't the sudden illicit passion stolen in secret. This was the Big One. Everything else seemed slightly magnified. The muscles of Kakashi's arms and chest seemed-well-more muscular, and his abdomen above the waistband of his pants seem slightly more ripped. If it were possible, he seemed even more handsome. It's all mine! flashed through her mind. She felt a sudden urge to just sit on the floor and giggle. A little laugh did escape from her lips and she put her hand to her mouth, feeling slightly embarrassed.

Kakashi smiled back at her. He placed his hands against her cheeks, then ran them softly down her throat, her shoulders, and her arms, drinking in the intoxicating sight of her in the soft light of the bedroom. His smile grew a little wider, and he suddenly wrapped his arms tightly around her waist, lifting her off her feet and spinning around with her, laughing out loud with joy.

"Finally!" he cried triumphantly. "Finally!"

"Shhh!" Sakura warned him, laughing at the same time. "Please, don't wake up Aiko!"

He backed up against the edge of the bed and tipped over onto it. They landed with a bounce and a slightly ominous crack of wood from somewhere inside the bedframe. They lay there laughing helplessly for a few moments. Kakashi took Sakura's face between his hands and kissed her repeatedly.

"I love you!" he whispered fiercely in between kisses. "I love you! I love you!"

"Kakashi," she whispered back to him, running her hands through his silver hair, her voice startling to tremble slightly. She brushed her lips lightly against his. "Sensei..."

Kakashi drew in a slow, delighted hiss of breath and closed his eyes, holding her close to him and lying still for a moment, feeling the weight and warmth of her body on him and the soft pressure of her breasts through the tantalizingly sheer fabric of her camisole against his chest. "Oh, you sweet woman!" he breathed.

She placed a line of kisses down his forehead and the ridge of his nose, then pressed her mouth against his. "Do you want the light off?" she asked.

"No." His lips parted against hers in a smile. "I want to see everything."


--------------------------------------------------

Epilogue:

Sorry, Obito. It's been a few days. I still feel like I have a lot of lost time to make up for. I know I'm repeating myself, but I think you'd be a little surprised at how things have turned out. Sure, I still work plenty of missions. I train harder than I ever have. I have so much more motivation now. I have so much I want to protect.

"Daddy, my soos are getting wet."

Kakashi glanced over his shoulder from where he stood before the memorial stone. Three-year-old Aiko stood in the dewy grass nearby, looking at him with her big, dark eyes and her brows knit in a troubled expression. She was quite a talker, and was not slowed down by still having trouble with a few consonant combinations. She'd outgrow that. She lifted up one foot. "See?"

"It's okay, baby," Kakashi replied, smiling. "They'll dry out later."

"Okay," Aiko said easily and went back to exploring the area.

She thinks I'm always right. Kakashi turned back to the memorial stone, still smiling. You really would have liked her. Sakura, too. She's so incredible, but you've heard me say that enough times. Kakashi gave a quiet sigh. I really wish you could have met them. Aside from the way I once was, that's always going to be my greatest regret.

Aiko suddenly straightened up from having been bent over, examining something in the grass. She triumphantly held up a foot-and-a-half-long twig. "Daddy, I foun' a 'tick!"

Kakashi was about to reply, when Aiko gave a delighted shriek. "Dere's a bug on my 'tick! Can I keep da bug, Daddy?"

"I don't think so."

"A-w-w!" Aiko moaned. "How come?"

Kakashi silently bowed his head and pressed his palms together before the stone for a few moments, then walked over to his daughter. She held up the twig, proudly displaying the ladybug that balanced on the end. "See? I wan' to keep him."

"I don't think the bug would like that very much," Kakashi reasoned with her.

"How come? I would be nice."

"I know you would, baby. But the bug's home is somewhere out here." Kakashi squatted down onto his heels. "Wouldn't you be sad if a big bug came and took you away from your home?"

Aiko's eyes widened. Apparently, that hadn't occurred to her. "I would be 'cared!" she agreed emphatically.

"So let's leave the bug here, okay?"

"Okay." Aiko waved the stick slightly. The ladybug's shell opened and it spread its wings and flew away. "Bye, bug!" Aiko called after it, waving her hand. Turning back to Kakashi, she asked, "Can I keep my 'tick?"

Kakashi nodded. He liked it when these little dramas managed to work themselves out to everyone's satisfaction. "Sure. So, are you ready to go home and have breakfast?"

"Yeah!" Aiko replied lustily. She ran around behind Kakashi and climbed onto his back. He held his hands open at his sides for her to slip her feet into, and she wrapped her arms around to the front of his vest. Grimacing slightly at the feel of her cold, wet shoes against his hands, he stood up and headed back to the village.

"Daddy, how come you wear dat mas'?" Aiko asked after Kakashi had walked for a while.

Kakashi had always expected this question. He generally did not wear his mask at home when only the three of them were there, and he knew at some point it would come up. He thought it might have come sooner, so he was prepared. Smiling, he said, "Because I'm so handsome, if I didn't wear it, I'd have to beat all the girls off with a stick."

"Like dis?" Aiko helpfully waved her twig in front of Kakashi's face.

Kakashi laughed out loud. "No, baby," he told her. "I would need a much bigger stick."

THE END
Sign up to rate and review this story