Categories > Cartoons > He-Man > Preludes and Beginnings - Book Two: Love

Dinner With the Gentlemen

by thew40 0 reviews

Marlena comes to terms with her fate.

Category: He-Man - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Fantasy, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-01-08 - Updated: 2007-01-08 - 1995 words

0Unrated
Chapter Four
"Dinner with the Gentlemen"

Dear Journal:

It's not been since my days as a high school freshman that I wrote or even tried to keep a diary. And I never would have expected to keep one at this age - but, of course, I never expected to be here on another world, so it's all fair, I suppose. I need to write these things out, to record the many things I've learned here on Eternia out.

There are some things that are consistent with the way things are on Earth. The year is twelve months long, with the same names for those months, and the same names for our days. Our languages are the same. There are even some of the same animals here. And, physically, we're nearly identical. But that's where it all ends.

This is a world that has two very different extremes. The technology here is incredible - far superior to anything I've ever seen. They have guns, but lasers are apparently replacing those. Lasers! I can't even fathom that on Earth! Their computers are faster than anything NASA has development, and their sensor arrays (!) are stronger than any detection tools on Earth. They have incredible flight technology that stands light-years beyond what we humans have, but the Eternians have barely even considered things that we raced for, like Internet and space travel.

And maybe that has to do with the other extreme. Sorcery. Magic. When I talked to Man-At-Arms and Commander Duncan about the wormhole, they kept saying it was like a portal created by wizards and sorceresses. That's going to take some getting used to. They talk often about spells and the like. I can't even wrap my mind around something like that!

And then, there's the Council of Elders. I have to go meet them in two days and I honestly have no idea what to expect. I'm worried - I've never met a wizard before and never would have thought I'd been meeting a whole council of them! What are they going to do to me? How will they judge me? I haven't been this nervous since I started off on this venture back on Earth.

There are other peoples here on Eternia - and by peoples, I don't mean other people with different skin colors (and if you knew how good it feels to know that this world never had to put up with Nazi's or the KKK, then you'd be in paradise). I mean actual different-looking beings. Bird-Men, humanoid animals . . . how in the world am I going to handle this?

Luckily, I've had Randor with me these past three days, helping me out, and showing me around. He's been quite wonderful, even though I know he's busy. If there's anyone I trust here on this strange, new world, it's King Randor.

Which is something I never thought I'd be writing.


Marlena put down her book and stood up from her bed. These guest quarters were lavish and beautiful, something Marlena was surprised to receive considering the still lingering (but somewhat fleeting) distrust between her and the Eternians. She had nothing to hide, but every concern of those here on Eternia was understandable.
There was knock on the door then, and Marlena went to it at once. A young woman who had the task of being Queen Marlena's aide (Susannah was her name) stood behind the door with a smile.
"Good eve, my lady," Susannah greeted. "The King was wondering if you'd care to have evening dinner with him in the Dinning Hall."
Marlena's eyes widened in mild surprise. "Uh . . . sure. What should I wear?"
Susannah looked over Marlena's current attire. "You are fine wearing what you are, my lady."
"Okay. Just give me a minute to retouch my make-up, well you?"
"Of course, my lady."
Marlena emerged a few moments later and both she and Susannah walked down a long set of stairs towards the throne room.
"What are we having tonight?"
"You'll be able to order when you get to the table," replied Susannah.
"Oh."
Susannah glanced at her charge. "Are you nervous, my lady?"
"A little. I'm still a little unsure of everything here."
Susannah nodded understandingly. "It's alright, my lady. Just relax. It's only dinner."
"You're right, Susannah. I don't know why I'm getting so nervous. I suppose I should get used to it." Marlena laughed a little and turned the corner.
And gasped loudly.
A man stood there. He was tall, and covered in a light, gray fur. His arms were long and his face jutted out a bit like a monkey. At his wrists were two huge, red wings. Other than that, all he wore was a pair of blue straps that connected to a red honor belt. Only his chin could be seen - he wore a red helmet with black shades trimmed with blue.
"Ah! You must be the alien guest!" said the man with a brilliant smile. "My name is King Stratos, but I prefer just Stratos. What is your name?"
". . . um . . ."
Stratos laughed loudly. It was a hearty laugh that came right from his gut. "First time seeing an Avion, eh?"
"I . . . yeah."
Stratos laughed again. "Well, feel free to stare, my lady Marlena! That is your name, isn't it?"
Marlena began to snap out of the shock. "Uh, yeah. I mean, yes. Marlena Glenn."
Susannah stepped in. "This way, my lady."
She led the pair down a corridor and Marlena attempted to stop staring at Stratos. "Tell me," Stratos wondered, "I am curious about your name."
"Oh? How's that?"
"Your name is Marlena."
"Yes."
"Then what does the 'Glenn' mean? Is it your father's name?"
Marlena thought it over a bit before answering, hoping to give him the easiest answer possible. "Not quite. It's my families name. My father's name was Larry. Glenn was his last name."
"Ah, I think I understand. It's like a second name? One that signifies your family-group?"
Marlena nodded. "Yes. Exactly."
"Curious. Are there birds on your world?"
"Yes. Many."
Stratos smiled with a bit of wonder. "I would so like to see this planet Earth."
At this point, they reached a set of doors. Randor and Duncan stood there, talking. They stood at attention when Susannah, Stratos and Marlena arrived. Susannah greeted the two, then excused herself.
"Ah, Marlena," Randor greeted warmly. "I see you've met Stratos. I was hoping he didn't give you too much of a shock."
Stratos chuckled. "Oh yes, quite a bit."
"Well, can you blame her?!" questioned Duncan with a hefty laugh. "Look at that mug! He could scare the stripes of a Razor Tiger!"
All three males roared in laughter. Stratos shook his head. "I can only guess at what lady Marlena did when she saw you, young Duncan? It was probably the moment she realized she was facing an alien!"
The three laughed again, and this time, Marlena found herself cracking a bit. An emotional bond grew between the four of them, then, and Marlena enjoyed it.

A few minutes later, Marlena was sipping very warm and very delicious soup that very much reminded her of potato soup, but spicier and with bits of meat in it. Stratos was talking about a new trade route, which was somewhat interesting because it including names for places like The Eye of Zarcan, the Shining Mountains, and the Cliffs of Teeth-Eyes.
"Duncan here is taking a leave of absence tomorrow," Randor said then.
"Oh?" questioned Stratos. "And just where are you headed?"
"Just for a short trip up north," Duncan replied.
Marlena took a minor risk and joined in on the fun. "Are you going to see a lady up north, Duncan?"
Stratos and Randor chuckled a bit, and Marlena noticed a slight but very distinct blush in Duncan's face. It was a lady, Marlena realized. She was a bit glad that the conversation moved away from the joke and onto a subject that Marlena was surprised to come up.
"So," Stratos said, "what can you tell us about Earth, my lady Marlena?"
Randor grunted as Marlena paused before speaking.
"It's a . . . ah . . . complicated world. I don't know where to start. It's different from Eternia. Very different, but in some ways . . . not so much. I don't know, really, how to describe it."
"What region did you come from?" asked Duncan, leaning forward and interlocking his fingers above his empty plate.
"A city called New Berlin, in the state of Ohio. Ohio is part of the country called the United States of America. It's kinda like a kingdom, I guess."
"I see," Randor noted.
"It was not a big city, but it was bigger than some. We lived out on a farm just on the outskirts. At night, my sister and I used to lay out in our backyard and gaze at the stars. She'd always try and tell me what stars were what, but I often ignored her. The stars were these fantastic, wonderful things. They were full of mystery and adventure. And I wanted a part of it."
"And that's when you decided you wanted to become a traveler of the stars?" asked Randor.
"Sort of," Marlena replied and continued. "Mankind had yet to get passed our own moon, let alone any other stars. Until now, that is. No, I'm the first one leave the solar system. Proud of that, too, in my own way. The first one to ever meet someone not from Earth."
She glanced at the three of them briefly as she told them the short version of her career. And while she had the attention of both Stratos and Duncan, it was Randor who seemed the most fascinated with her. In fact, the more she talked and the more he seemed interested, the more she started to wonder if there was a little more than just fascination here.
"So you were a sort of hero on your planet," summed Randor.
"Of sorts, yeah," Marlena returned. "Although, it seems like the entire experiment failed completely."
"And they think you're gone," Duncan said glumly.
Marlena nodded sadly. That thought haunted her in the hours before sleep and when it came to her now, she had to fight a terrible sadness. She did so and swiftly.
"I'm sorry," apologized Duncan, noting the touch of sadness in her eyes. "That was stupid of me."
Marlena mustered a smile. "Don't worry about. It's only the truth."
Stratos cleared his throat. "How much of Eternia have you seen?" he asked.
"Um, not much. Why?"
Stratos glanced at Randor. The King nodded a bit and then Stratos said. "Come with, my lady Marlena."
The others walked with Marlena and Stratos out to a balcony. It was there Stratos picked up a jetpack and put on his backstraps.
"I will show some of Eternia," Stratos told her, and he outstretched his arms.
Marlena realized what was happening, and reluctantly decided she should go for it. She stepped forward and immediately engulfed in Stratos strong embrace. It was a weird thing, but as soon as she heard his wings flap a bit and the jetpack roar to life, her attention was turned elsewhere.
The city of Eternos was displayed to her as she and Stratos circled it. It really was a beautiful city, so unlike anything she had seen before. They left the city that stood on a huge plateau and she saw the rest of the area.
There was the River Eternia, which flowed just west of the city. To the southwest was a small pocket of mountains. To the west were open plains full of fertility and life. To the north were a series of sloping hills. To the east were spots of trees and forests.
Marlena had been flying before, but this was so unlike anything she ever experienced. It was in these moments, as Stratos carried her over the immediate terrain and the city and Palace of Eternos, that she realized that she truly and finally was on Eternia.
Sign up to rate and review this story