Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts > With You

Morning

by UbiquitousOranges 0 reviews

In which breakfast is eaten.

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Axel, Roxas - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-01-08 - Updated: 2007-01-09 - 1057 words

0Unrated
Writing Nobodies is harder than I expected.
FYI, the song Demyx is singing is "My Sitar," by Dr. Bombay.
Disclaimer: Story's mine, characters aren't.
Lol ellipses.
-------------------------------
chapter o3. morning
-------------------------------
Admittedly, waking up was a little awkward.
"Hey," said Roxas.
"Hey," said Axel.
"Did we...?"
"No. At least, if you're asking what I think..."
"Yeah."
"Oh. Okay."
"..."
"..."
"So... you want the shower first?"

*

The castle was perfectly silent.
"I think we're up before everyone else," Axel said. "You know what that means?"
"What?"
"Dibs on the microwave!"
And so, in under ten minutes, Axel and Roxas were sitting companionably at one end of a long, white table in a long, white room, eating Ham & Cheese Hot Pockets. Funny thing about the Organization - missions to every known world, and you could bring back whatever you wanted, no questions asked. Roxas had a checkered wristband and a skateboard that he never used. Axel had ten gallons of custom-mixed red latex paint and Hot Pockets.
They had finished eating, and Roxas was trying to fall asleep leaned against Axel's shoulder, by the time the next Organization member appeared.
"Hey, Xig," Axel said. Xigbar was the only one of the original six - Xemnas, Xaldin, Vexen, Lexaeus, Zexion, and Xigbar himself - that Axel really got along with.
Xigbar nodded in acknowledgement, and stalked into the kitchen to get his coffee.
When he came back, he was more like his usual, easygoing self.
"Hey, guys," he said, sitting down to Axel's left with a mug of black coffee and a bagel.
Next was Larxene. Apparently, she had teleported into the kitchen; she came out with an enormous omelet and sat down near the far end of the table without saying a word.
"Good morning to you too, Larxene," Axel said under his breath. Xigbar chuckled.
Luxord came downstairs. "Odds on who's up next," he said.
"No takers," said Axel. "You've probably got wires dropped on all their alarm clocks."
Luxord's smile was somehow unsettling - he seemed to have too many teeth. "My, my, my," he said, shaking his head as he entered the kitchen. "So untrusting." He returned with a muffin and a glass of orange juice, and sat down to the left of Xigbar.
The next Nobody could be heard before he was seen.
"I like my sitar, I like my sitar, I play the sitar, sitar, wherever I go, whoah-oh-oh..."
Axel closed his eyes and shook, trying not to laugh out loud. Roxas even smiled.
The voice stopped singing and composed itself. A moment later, Demyx walked decorously through the dining room. His fingers were still tapping out a beat, seemingly without his knowledge.
"Hey," Axel said.
"Why hello, Axel." Demyx proceeded to the kitchen, coming out with half a pizza wrapped in aluminum foil. "And hello to you too, Roxas," he said, sitting down next to him and attempting to leer evilly.
"Stop trying, Demyx. You're not very good at it." Axel put his arm around Roxas. "For one thing, he's taken. For another, you're not any older than him, so the 'creepy pedo' rules don't apply. Plus, you looked kind of stupid. Have I taught you nothing?" He shook his head in mock dismay.
"Oh well," Demyx said, unwrapping his pizza. Axel leaned over Roxas and took a slice.
"Eurgh," he said, and put it back.
"What?" Demyx and Roxas asked together.
"Mushrooms and anchovies," he said, shuddering.
Demyx shrugged, and took a huge bite.
Axel tapped on Roxas' shoulder. Reluctantly, he sat up. Axel went into the kitchen.
"So, Roxas, how's it goin'?"
"Alright, I guess."
"So, I heard from Zexion, who heard from Vexen, who heard from Saïx, that Xemnas has a mission for us."
"Today?"
"Yeah. Heard that most of us are going to Hollow Bastion."
"Really? I've never been there before-"
Pain shot through Roxas' skull, accompanied by an image -
The lift stop, a complex web of light-strands traced in the air... A library full of books... Shadows swarming down a sweeping staircase...
"-At least not that I remember," he amended.
"It's kind of grim, at least the part that I was in," Demyx said. "All grey stone. I dunno. You might like it."
Roxas nodded absently, thinking.
Axel returned with a plateful of waffles and mashed potatoes.
"Um-" Roxas said, eyeing the plate warily.
"Don't worry, I'll eat them separate," Axel said.
"Good." Roxas had been permanently scarred when Axel constructed and consumed a cheese-pickle-onion-chicken-potato sandwich, washed down with a bowl of ice cream and ketchup.
"You're seriously going to eat all that?" Demyx asked wonderingly, staring at the six-waffle stack. "And you had a problem with anchovies?"
"Yep," Axel said around his first bite. He swallowed.
Vexen came down the stairs and went for the coffee.
"Never fear," Axel said, winking at Roxas. "I'll keep my slim girlish figure." Roxas rolled his eyes.
Vexen sat down across from Roxas, nodding by way of greeting.
Zexion was down next. He sniffed at the air. "Saïx is in the kitchen, he informed them, and sat down across from Demyx.
Sure enough, Saïx emerged a few minutes later, carrying a plateful of extremely rare steak. He sat at the far end of the table, next to Luxord.
Most of the Organization members avoided teleporting inside as much as possible; an unfocused mind could land you halfway through a wall. Xemnas, Saïx, and Larxene, however, didn't seem to care. Either that, or they were showing off.
Xaldin came in, got toast and eggs, and sat down next to Vexen.
Zexion made a face. "Marluxia," he said. "I asked him not to use that... vile stuff in the castle."
Before long, Marluxia came in. A delicate floral scent accompanied him. He took his seat across from Saïx. Larxene leaned over to tell him something, and his strangely hollow laughter floated down the table.
Axel smirked. "Not in a bad mood today, are we, Zexion?"
Zexion glared up at Axel.
Roxas resisted the urge to elbow Axel in the ribs. He couldn't seem to resist baiting Zexion whenever the opportunity presented itself.
Lexaeus came through the door, got his coffee, and took a seat between Larxene and Xaldin.
Finally, with perfect timing, Xemnas appeared, stepping through a "corridor to darkness" and into his place at the head of the table.
"Well then... Shall we begin?"
Sign up to rate and review this story