Categories > Games > Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney > Bittersweet Reunion

Chapter 1

by Syrus 1 review

Takes place after the "Rise from the Ashes" case in game one. Edgeworth leaves without warning for three years, breaking contact with everyone. Unexpectedly he returns and finds his world turned ...

Category: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-01-04 - Updated: 2007-01-04 - 1082 words

1Moving
Chapter 1

I never thought I'd find myself back here... Edgeworth thought, feeling a curious mixture of sadness, anxiousness, and nervousness, stepping out of a taxi that brought him back to the place he'd left three years before.

He thought he would be leaving this place forever when he had left then, but yet here he was. He was called back due to missed payments on a loan he had taken out for a house he had bought many years ago. Edgeworth cursed himself for his oversight on anything that would draw him back to this place.

I need to iron this out quickly and get out of here, Edgeworth thought resolutely, I certainly do not want to run into anyone and then be forced to engage in awkward conversation with them.

He knew for certain that any contact with people here would be awkward since he left without warning or saying goodbye. Then his mind flashed to the last person he wanted to think about. Phoenix Wright. Edgeworth closed his eyes and sighed in anguish. Over the three years he was gone, he tried in vain to convince himself that there was never anything there, that he'd never felt anything for Phoenix, and that he hadn't made the biggest mistake in his life leaving before he could find out. He pushed Phoenix out of his mind as the bank came into view.

What ever happened was in the past, Edgeworth thought bitterly, Past events cannot be undone so it is best if one never looks back.

Edgeworth walked into the bank.

*

Phoenix made his way to the burger place across the street from the bank.

Why do Maya's orders always have to be so complicated? Phoenix thought, feeling overwhelmed, And she always gets mad when I get them wrong!

Just as he was about to enter the burger place, he happened to glance at a person exiting the bank. His heart stopped and suddenly burgers were the last things on his mind.

No, it can't be... Phoenix thought as a wave of emotions bowled him over.

But the person was unmistakable. The same dark grey hair, the same eyes, the same face that had haunted him for three years...Though the maroon suit and the cravat were gone, this person, beyond a doubt, was Edgeworth! Phoenix noticed him walking away and suddenly shook himself into action. He could not let Edgeworth get away from him again. He ran quickly across the street, earning a few angry honks from drivers, but he did not even notice.

When Phoenix drew close to him, he yelled, "Edgeworth!"

*

Edgeworth suddenly stopped in his tracks, instantly recognizing the voice. His heart began to beat very fast and it took nearly everything in him not to just bolt. Phoenix was the last person he ever wanted to face about his sudden leave, but it appeared that fate played a cruel joke on him. Edgeworth was even too scared to turn around, not knowing what Phoenix would say to him or how he would react after seeing after so long. All of his confused and convoluted thoughts stopped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He was forced to turn around. Behind him, he found the same Phoenix Wright he had always known, and perhaps the same Phoenix Wright that he had tried to run from. Though he was a few years older, Phoenix had the same look in his eyes Edgeworth had always known him to have, filled with compassion and understanding. Edgeworth almost quailed under this look, feeling rather guilty and unworthy of it, all of his resolve to never look back melting away in this instant.

"Edgeworth..." Phoenix said again, sounding unsure and hesitant this time.

"Wright." Edgeworth replied, feeling as thought his heart had been ripped out.

Phoenix continued looking at Edgeworth as thought he'd seen a ghost, seemingly unable to speak.

"Why?" Phoenix finally asked, this simple word expressing all of the pain and abandonment he felt when Edgeworth seemed to drop off the face of the Earth.

To this question, Edgeworth knew he could not give him a satisfactory answer. Unable to control his emotions as well as he usually did, he felt tears coming to his eyes.

"Wright...I am truly sorry..." Edgeworth said with his voice cracking, some of his tears on the verge of spilling out.

*

This sudden meeting was almost too much for Phoenix, his eyes brimming with tears as well. Seeing Edgeworth so emotionally distraught was enough to prove to him that Edgeworth had at least felt a fraction of the pain he, himself, had felt. Letting only his emotions dictate his actions, he reached around Edgeworth and pulled him into a tight hug. He felt Edgeworth's entire body stiffen in surprise, causing him to almost let go in embarrassment, since he realized this is the closest he'd ever been to Edgeworth physically. But before Phoenix could move, Edgeworth slowly rested his arms around Phoenix's waist. They stayed like that for a few wonderful moments, when Phoenix suddenly realized that they must be getting some stares, hugging like this out on the street. He slowly pulled away from Edgeworth, who, to his surprise, seemed hesitant to let him go. For a split second, Phoenix could see a strange kind of longing in Edgeworth's eyes, but it was quickly replaced by embarrassment.

He's probably self-conscious about how much he lost his composure there...Phoenix thought, smiling inwardly.

"Ahh...Wright...it was good seeing you, but I must be on my way..." Edgeworth said, staring at the ground, the unusual redness in his cheeks standing out on his pale skin.

"No." Phoenix said resolutely, "Please...its been so long since I've seen you...the least you could do is stop by my house for a while..."

Edgeworth took a while to answer, looking like a lot of thought was going into it. All the while, he was studying Phoenix's face, seeming to factor this into making his decision. Phoenix prepared himself for the disappointment he would feel when Edgeworth said no, deciding no one would take so long to say yes.

He's probably trying to think of the best way to say no...Phoenix thought, starting to feel slightly depressed.

Suddenly Edgeworth spoke.

"Alright. I'll come."

It took a moment for Phoenix to realize that Edgeworth had agreed, but when he did, he began to grin almost stupidly.

"Let's go!" Phoenix said, the little smile never leaving his face.

*
Sign up to rate and review this story