Categories > Games > Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney > Bittersweet Reunion

Chapter 2

by Syrus 0 reviews

Miles decides to go with Phoenix to Phoenix's apartment.

Category: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Published: 2007-01-11 - Updated: 2007-01-11 - 924 words

1Ambiance
Chapter 2

The walk to Phoenix's apartment was mostly silent. Phoenix seemed too nervous to talk much, while Edgeworth, though he would never admit it, felt rather taken by Phoenix's silly smile.

I can't believe this guy still doesn't have a license or a car... Edgeworth thought sarcastically, trying to draw his thoughts away from his situation with Phoenix, How does he get by at all?

Finally they got to Phoenix's apartment building. Phoenix led Edgeworth to a small apartment on the fourth floor of the building. Edgeworth realized now that although he had known Phoenix for a number of years, he never knew where he lived. As they stepped inside, Edgeworth found himself in a very lived in apartment, things casually left around, very much unlike his own home. Even Edgeworth hardly felt at home in his own house, everything so neat, it looked like a catalog house rather than a place a real person lived. Phoenix interrupted Edgeworth's thoughts when he suddenly spoke.

"Uhh...take a seat." Phoenix said, motioning to a tiny couch in his living room.

Edgeworth sat down and Phoenix took a seat next to him. Since the couch was so small, their knees were almost touching when they faced each other on the couch. In spite of himself, Edgeworth found his heart beating rather fast again.

"So...how have you been? It has been a while..." Phoenix asked.

"I moved to France, started a law office there, and now it's a successful firm." Edgeworth replied, sounding very bored.

"Wow, that's something." Phoenix said in awe, fully realizing Edgeworth's talents as a lawyer.

"What about you, Wright?" Edgeworth asked, raising an eyebrow in question, "How have you been spending your time? Do you still turn things around for the defense at the last minute like you always did before?"

Phoenix gave Edgeworth an amused little smile and said, "Yeah, that's the way things usually go. I'm still defending people that make my job very difficult."

"You'll never change, Wright." Edgeworth replied, also amused.

"Neither will you. You already becoming a successful prosecutor in France...they all had better watch out, the Demon Prosecutor being over there now and all..." Phoenix said in a teasing tone of voice.

"Whatever..." Edgeworth replied in a bored tone, but in actuality he was flattered by Phoenix's praise.

Although Edgeworth would never say it out loud, he respected Phoenix very much, and was actually quite impressed with him and his accomplishments. Edgeworth didn't know how Phoenix could honestly believe so much in all his clients when the evidence almost always suggested otherwise.

Well, I'm one to think that...I was in the same place before, and I definitely didn't commit the crime. Edgeworth thought wistfully.

Another thing that Edgeworth would never admit to was how much he enjoyed working with Phoenix in court. He found it a total rush when they played off each other in court to unearth the truth and bring the person they knew was guilty to justice together, though he was always careful to hide that fact.

"Hey, Edgeworth...I really missed you..." Phoenix said, but he quickly added on to the sentence when he began to blush, "...well, you know...in...court..."

Edgeworth gave him a sad, but knowing smile.

"I also missed you...in court..." Edgeworth replied coolly, masking his true feelings.

Edgeworth suddenly realized that they had unconsciously drawn closer on the already small couch, and he noted that their knees were just brushing against each other. This realization made a faint tint of color appear on his cheeks, joining his already quickly beating heart. He looked at Phoenix and noticed that Phoenix seemed to be studying him very closely, making him feel very awkward, but he held Phoenix's gaze. Phoenix seemed like he was trying to make a decision. Edgeworth let his insecurities and his feelings for Phoenix scare him away three years ago, but as he looked into Phoenix's eyes, he knew that this mistake could not be repeated now.

Edgeworth let his new found bravery drive him, letting his emotions escape the tight control he usually exercised on them. Almost too quickly for Phoenix to realize what was happening, Edgeworth had grabbed his head and kissed him forcefully. Edgeworth did not let Phoenix go until they had to come up for air, feeling extremely light headed at this intense expression of three years of denied emotion. As he tried to catch his breath, he looked at Phoenix, seeing his eyes were burning with emotion. His lips still tingling from the last kiss, Edgeworth quickly leaned in again. Their lips barely brushed together when a phone ringing startled them both.

Phoenix abruptly pulled back, his eyes wide in shock, his expression strangely comical in comparison to the childish jingle that issued from the cell phone. Edgeworth wondered what exactly was going on here, with Phoenix's sudden change in demeanor brought by the phone ringing. When the phone finally stopped ringing, Phoenix looked at Edgeworth in hesitation.

"Miles..." Phoenix said with great difficulty, his voice reverberating with sorrow, "I...can't...do this. I'm...engaged..."

Edgeworth could say nothing, feeling absolutely shocked. He risked everything and took a chance on his feelings, something that he would never usually do, just to find out that he was too late. Edgeworth struggled to keep his wits about him as his heart broke into a million pieces.

"I see..." Edgeworth replied, his voice cracking slightly, unable to regain his usual cool demeanor, "To...whom?"

"Ummm...Maya...Maya Fey." Phoenix whispered back.

*
Sign up to rate and review this story