Categories > Games > Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney > Bittersweet Reunion

Chapter 3

by Syrus 0 reviews

Miles is asked to make a very difficult decision.

Category: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Published: 2007-01-14 - Updated: 2007-01-14 - 1133 words

1Exciting
Chapter 3

Seconds ticked by as both Phoenix and Edgeworth sat in awkward, gut wrenching silence, figuring out what to say to each other next. Phoenix was blown away by what just happened.

I just don't believe this...Phoenix thought, his head spinning from current events, I can't believe that something that I wanted for so long, something I thought would never happen, just has. Who'd have thought that after thinking that I would never see Miles again that he'd suddenly pop back in my life and finally confirm that what I had been feeling for years hadn't only been one sided. Just when I was about to let go...

Phoenix had been so caught off guard by Edgeworth's sudden advance that he'd forgotten about everything except what he was feeling in that moment. The minute that he heard the Pink Princess theme song on his cell phone, his mind came back to him. Before either one of them had a chance to say anything, suddenly there was a loud knock at the door. Phoenix tore his eyes away from the heart broken Edgeworth and numbly walked to the door, absolutely unable to make sense of his feelings. He opened the door and he found Maya looking at him with her typical angry expression, tapping her foot in annoyance.

"Nick, what happened to my burgers!! I've been waiting for an hour! I even called you to ask what was going on and you didn't even pick up your phone! I'm so hungry, I don't care what you got. Just give me whatever you have." she said.

Phoenix looked at her sheepishly and said, "Uhh...I don't have anything for you."

Maya's mouth dropped open and she said, "What?"

Phoenix looked down, like he was embarrassed and said, "I...forgot."

"Huh? Why?" Maya asked in confusion, not believing that anything could take precedence over food.

"I...ran into someone." Phoenix replied, looking behind him at Edgeworth, who was still sitting on the couch.

This is the first time that Maya realized that someone else was in the apartment.

"Whoa, Mr. Edgeworth? Well, it's been a while!" she said in disbelief, taking a moment to recognize him since he looked very different to her without his usual maroon coat and cravat.

Edgeworth just looked at her with an unidentifiable emotion in his eyes, not answering her. As the awkward silence hung in the room, Maya just looked back to Phoenix, deciding to change the subject since Edgeworth seemed to be in one of his moods.

"Well, it's okay about the burgers. More space for your mom's cooking, right?" she said, smiling.

"My mom...? Oh! I completely forgot! We're going to my parent's tonight, aren't we?"

"Geez, you're just forgetting everything today, aren't you? Well, I still have to finish packing, but I'll be back at six to pick you up. See you later. Bye, Mr. Edgeworth!" Maya said, giving Edgeworth a little wave and Phoenix a little kiss on the cheek before leaving quickly.

"Bye..." Phoenix said softly, watching her leave.

Now, once again, he was left alone with Edgeworth.

*

Finally Edgeworth spoke, although with great difficulty.

"Wright...it was a mistake for me to come here..." he said softly, "I don't know what I was expecting, but I surely got what I deserved."

"No, Miles...don't say that..." Phoenix replied, his voice filled with compassion.

"I should go. I think it would be best for both of us if I didn't stay..." Edgeworth said, his voice cracking again.

"No, please...you can't...Miles...my wedding day is supposed to be one of the most important days in my life, right? And you...you're so important to me, that I want you...no I need you to be there...please." Phoenix said earnestly.

Edgeworth was on the verge of saying no, but something stopped him. As he looked into Phoenix's eyes, he saw they were shining with tears. He could easily see how much Phoenix wanted him there. He realized that he had already abandoned Phoenix once, and he could not do it again, especially not with Phoenix looking at him the way he was and pleading with him so. He knew owed this to Phoenix no matter how painful it would be to him.

It was my fault things turned out this way anyways...if I hadn't left like I did, maybe things would have been a little different. Edgeworth thought bitterly.

Edgeworth was certain that Phoenix didn't understand what he was asking him to do, in essence, watch the only person he ever loved promise to spend his life with someone else.

If only I was brave enough to come to terms with my feelings for Phoenix and the aftermath of SL-9 three years ago, Edgeworth thought in disdain, But what did I do instead? I ran. No, not this time. He needs me, and for once, I will be there.

He saw Phoenix looking at him expectantly and he returned with a look of grim resolution. It was incredibly hard for Edgeworth to get the words out, but he finally managed it.

"Alright. I'll be there." Edgeworth said, reaching up quickly and wiping away a tear that had leaked out of his eye.

He reached in his coat and brought out a pen and what looked like a business card.

Quickly writing on the card, Edgeworth handed it to him and said, "I'm staying at the Gatewater hotel in room 506. You can find me there to give me all the necessary information concerning...your wedding."

His voice sounded cool and impersonal, but it faltered just slightly when he mentioned Phoenix's wedding. Edgeworth quickly stood up from the couch and left the apartment without another word or look at Phoenix. He knew that if he didn't get out of there, he'd lose control of himself completely.

Lost inside himself the whole cab ride to the hotel, he finally broke down in his hotel room. From the minute he had seen Phoenix today, he had been on an emotional roller coaster. Sobbing silently, his mind was still spinning from the current chain of events. First he saw Phoenix for the first time in three years, then he spontaneously confessed his feelings through two stolen kisses, and last he found out it was in vain, all within a few hours. In a few minutes, Edgeworth calmed himself down, realizing that crying over the situation would help nothing, but this did not stop him from kicking himself once again over the way he left three years ago. He also cursed himself for always having to be so self critical.

I can't fail him again. I can't. Edgeworth thought, wiping away whatever tears that remained on his face, I have to be there for him, no matter what.
Sign up to rate and review this story