Categories > Books > Meredith Gentry > Snapshots of Obsession

Watching

by Poison 0 reviews

A loyal guard keeps watch (No direct interaction with canon characters)

Category: Meredith Gentry - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama, Fantasy - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2007-01-19 - Updated: 2007-01-19 - 853 words

2Ambiance
You're entertaining another guest tonight. You asked me to stay with you, for you fear this one. He is powerful and manipulative, you said, and could make birds believe they should sing under the waves. What an ally he would be, if only you could persuade him. Yet you still fear, and keep me in the shadows to remind you that the sky is where you live, not the deep blue sea.

You have talked and talked, and grew hungry with all the discussion. A Grey Lady brought refreshments, and your favourite summer treat. I am not surprised to see they are swift to disappear.

"There is but one, sweet berry left. Would you like it, Etianne?"

He's dropped your title. You don't seem to notice. Your thrice-blue eyes are fixed on the red fruit, and your tongue darts out to taste your lips. I'm sure they would taste of those summer berries. You want what he offers. Beware, Princess. He is a serpent. I see it in his eyes. He hungers too, but for a different fruit.

"Yes, I would. Give it to me?"

That was almost a command. You claim you are not use to giving them, but I know you. Orders slip from your lips as easy as breath. They are as subtle, too. Don't you understand yet you are a Queen, no matter your modesty?

"Hummm... I will let you have it..."

Your smile spreads, making you almost too beautiful to look at. Once, I thought that smile was only for me. When did you give it to someone else? Was it ever mine?

"...but you must give me something for it first..."

You frown, like a petulant child. You are older than I, yet you hold on to your youth and innocence long after mine are broken down to shards and dust.

"What can I offer you? Nothing too big, or you'll take advantage. Nothing to small or you'll take offence..." You pause for a moment, pretending to think. I know you have thought of it already. "... A kiss, perhaps? On your cheek. Yes, that'll be enough, won't it?"

Have you forgotten I am here? Your talk has become easier, lighter - you never sound this happy when you are with me.

He smiles. It makes me twitch. My Laird had such a smile. It was full of sweet-tasting poison.

"Yes... for that, I would give you this fruit."

Maybe... maybe this lord can bring something out in you that I can't. Maybe he has something I do not. Is that it, Princess? Do you crave the glow of another sidhe? Or is it just because I'm less than you? A Host-bred mongrel. Could it be you still think of me as a spy of your fathers?

I'm not. I promise.

I'm yours.

Don't kiss him.

Please...

You don't hear me. You smile back, not knowing how to see the deadly shade to his expression. You move close, your dress whispering warnings that I dare not voice. You don't hear them either, and lean down, twisting your head to a side. His eyes, green and blue and gold, narrowed in triumph that you are too close to see.

His hand moves in a swift blur before you touch him, and I am on my feet, too far away to save you if he holds a dagger in his hand - no, not a dagger - your prize. The prize you would surrender your lips for, and he's pressed it between his own, eating it.

You pull back with your too-slow reflexes at his surprising move, and then you realize what he has done. Cheated. He cheated you.

You are angry. And confused. So am I. Why would he do such a thing? I would give you a hundred such fruits for what you would give to him for one. You think he has broken his word, and that he wouldn't be such a worthy ally after all.

But then... then he pulls out another delicate offering. Larger than the one he bargained with, and redder. More appetising.

"...How about this one?" he whispers.

You are still so close to him. Why are you not offended by this? Why are you not moving? Princess, don't... don't...

You move towards him again, tilting your head and... you kiss him. You feed off his mouth, seeking that stolen prize, and he does the same, taking the flavour from your mouth, licking it away with his serpent tongue.

Inside I burn with hate and freeze with grief at once, suddenly hollow but for the pain. You give to this distrustful lord what you would never give to your most loyal guardian. I wish I were dead...

No. I wish he were dead.

I cannot take my eyes from you, even though it hurts. I see your hand, delicate and moon-shaded to his sun-kissed flesh, come up and claim the prize you won by playing into his hands.

Even in my dark despair, my silent suffering, I hope.

I hope that your treasure will tastes like heaven, for that is surely what your kiss would be...
Sign up to rate and review this story