Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Time to Live

Not So Shy Neville

by loralee1 1 review

AU Post OotP, No HBP, With Voldemort gone it's time for Harry to Live.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Dobby, Dumbledore, Fred, George, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Kingsley, Luna, Lupin, Molly Weasley, Moody, Neville, Ron - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-01-20 - Updated: 2007-01-21 - 1561 words

5Exciting
Time to Live 21
By Loralee

Disclaimer: Not mine

Not So Shy Neville


"Good morning, Severus, did you sleep well?" asked Harry the next morning as he sat down to breakfast. After a slight nod he went on, "Did you have a chance to check out the potions lab in the basement? Is there anything that needs to be done to make it better?"



"What do you want, Potter?" asked Snape setting down his cup.



Harry sighed and rolled his eyes, "Why do I have to want anything?"



"Everyone wants something. No one does anything out of the goodness of their heart," said Snape with a sneer.



"Fine, I want a cure for Lycanthopy, you can work on that first."



"You spoke for me so I could work on a cure for your pet werewolf?" scorn dripped from his voice. "I suppose I'm to make the Wolfsbane every month as well?"



"I spoke for you because it was the right thing to do," said Harry firmly.



"You sound like Albus."



"No, he does things for the greater good, forgetting that sometimes 'the greater good' is bad for the individual."



"How long do you expect to thwart is wishes? Albus always wins," Snape sounded subdued now.



"He won't this time. If I've learned anything in my life it's that you have to stand up to bullies. If you don't they make you miserable."



"Even when they keep knocking you down?"



"Especially then," said Harry with a grin.



"That explains a lot about you Potter," Snape said with a smirk, "you stupidly don't know when to quit."



Harry looked at him for a long moment, "If I had quit, Voldemort would still be here and I'd be dead."



Snape nodded slowly, "You have a point. I shall wait to see if you can continue to stand against Albus." He picked up his tea. "You wish me to make Wolfsbane?"



Harry cocked his head at Snape. "It's a marketable potion isn't? You had intended to support yourself that way? I would be willing to pay for Remus' potion. How much more can you make to sell? Is the cost prohibitive for general use by werewolves?"



Snape's eyebrow lifted. "I will have to do some research."



Harry nodded. "Just because you are stuck here doesn't mean you can't do what you want. By the way, Dobby has convinced me to take on Winky. She will be taking care of the house from here on in.

Neville Longbottom will be here this afternoon to help me refurbish and plan the layouts for the greenhouses and gardens. If there are specific things you'd like you need to make me a list."



"Longbottom?"



"My friends will be welcome here the same as yours," said Harry firmly.



Snape sneered at the thought of having friends.



"You will only have to put up with us for a short time as I have plans and then school. Back to the potions stuff, if you need anything tell Winky, she will have access to the household money and she can get whatever you need."



"And if I need expensive potions ingredients for my experiments?" asked Snape, a peculiar expression on his face that Harry didn't care for.



"Well, in the muggle world, if someone funds research then they are entitled to a portion of the proceeds from the results. It's the same in the Wizarding world, isn't it?"



Snape's expression turned to a smirk, "We'll make a Slytherin of you yet, Harry." To Snape's dismay Harry only grinned at him.





As he was finishing up Dobby brought him the Daily Prophet.


Harry Potter Tortured at Hogwarts


In shocking testimony today it was revealed that Delores Umbridge Under Secretary to Ex-Minister Fudge tortured Harry Potter The-Boy-Who-Lived to Destroy the Dark Lord and several other students. We here at the Daily Prophet call for an investigation into Albus Dumbledore Headmaster of Hogwarts. We demand to know how such abuse could occur under Dumbledore's nose. There have been rumors for some time, that things are not as they should be at Hogwarts. Delores Umbridge was sentenced to Azkaban.




However it was the picture and caption under the fold that caught Harry's attention. The picture showed Harry hugging first Hermione and then Luna and grinning at Neville.



Harry Potter: Is Love in the Air?

Is Harry Potter one of the most eligible young bachelors off the market? We spotted Potter (16) having lunch with friends: Hermione Granger (16), Luna Lovegood (15), and Neville Longbottom (16). We can only ask ourselves is one, two or all three that Potter is dating? Has love found Potter at last?




"Aw, bloody hell!" swore Harry, making Snape stare at him. Harry threw the paper down and Snape glanced at the picture and smirked.



"Ah, the price of fame."



"The price of my fame was my parents lives, Severus, if you've forgotten. I never wanted to be famous! I wish you'd bloody well shut up about it," shouted Harry as he stormed from the room.





Later that morning Harry had opened the floo to incoming visitors and was waiting for Neville. He was a little embarrassed about the paper and hoped that Neville had not seen it. His hopes were in vain. Neville stepped out of the hearth already blushing.



"You've seen the paper, Harry?" he asked, by way of greeting.



"Yeah, sorry about that." Said Harry.



"Oh, well nothing to be sorry about. I know you can't control the papers but..." he trailed off.



"What is it Neville. You're not upset are you?"



"No it's just Gran. She thinks it's a brilliant idea and said that we'd be a good match and that I'm to try to catch you while I'm here." The last words came out in a rush with Neville looking at his feet.



Harry was horrified and began to stutter something when he realized that Neville was trying desperately not to laugh.



"Oi you prat you scared hell out of me," Harry said with a laugh. "I like girls, thank you very much."



Neville was laughing too, now. "Me too on the girls, but I got you, Harry."



"The twins would be so proud." Harry thumped Neville on the back and they went out to the greenhouse. Neville called for his house elf, Asa, who he said took care of his gardens while he was at school.



"You never said you had elves," said Harry.



"What, you think I'm stupid? After Hermione's spew thing, not a chance," said Neville.



Asa was dressed in a tea towel with a little leather apron and gloves and set to work clearing away the debris. Dobby came to help and Neville unrolled a large parchment and set to drawing a plan.



After a while Harry noticed a horrified look on Neville's face on looked up to see Snape coming toward them. Harry was amused to see him wearing a leather apron just like Neville's elf. Snape's sleeves were rolled up and he showed every indication that he was there to help.



"Harry, Longbottom," Snape greeted them.



"Professor," Neville stuttered out, "what are you doing here?"



"I thought that was fairly obvious, I am living here and as I will be using these plants for my potions, I thought I might come and supervise your bumbling attempts," Snape's mild tone turned to a sneer by the end.



Neville began to turn red as he protested, "I don't need supervision in a greenhouse. I am very good at Herbology, Professor."



"Oh, have I hurt your feelings? You, Longbottom, are a child, a squib with no redeeming qualities. A disappointment to your family, you shouldn't even have a wand unless you are being supervised," he sneered in full rant mode.



Shocked by Snape's verbal attack Harry opened his mouth but did not get any words out before Neville's wand was out and he was cursing Snape.



"Reducto!" shouted Neville. The red curse streaked toward Snape who smirked and raised a shield with a lazy word.



"If you want to hurt me you must do better than that, Longbottom."



Harry was amazed as the curses flew fast and heavy. Snape's shield finally fell and Neville got lucky with a double stunner. As Snape flew back against the wall of the green house Neville collapsed to his knees breathing hard.



"You ok, Nev?" Harry asked. Neville nodded. Harry enervated Snape who sat up and looked at Neville. "You two done?"



Snape nodded and took a deep breath, "Mr. Longbottom, you have my apologies. Madam Sprout has told me of your skill in Herbology and I am well aware of the fact that I have been using your harvests in both classroom potions and my own for several years. You have my complements. I have several request for additions to the greenhouse and gardens."



Neville looked gob smacked and Harry was trying to hide a smile. Trust Snape to make a big deal out of saying sorry.



"Why? Why ..." stuttered Neville.



Snape pulled himself to his feet. "As I was told this morning. One must face a bully or be miserable. I felt that perhaps you would appreciate being able to face me. I am surprised at your skill with a wand. It is - adequate." He smirked once more as he extended his hand to Neville.



Harry watched as Neville eyed Snape closely, then nodded once and accepted his hand up.



Revised 1/18/07




Sign up to rate and review this story