Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Time to Live

The Oracle at Delphi

by loralee1 1 review

AU Post OotP, No HBP, With Voldemort gone it's time for Harry to Live.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Dobby, Dumbledore, Fred, George, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Kingsley, Luna, Lupin, Molly Weasley, Moody, Neville, Ron - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-01-20 - Updated: 2007-01-21 - 1691 words

5Exciting
Time to Live 25
By Loralee

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter



The Oracle at Delphi



Harry and his friends led by Burke spent the day exploring the Acropolis and Parthenon. In the late afternoon Burke led the way though the Monastiraki, the flea market to allow them to shop. They had a late dinner and toppled into bed exhausted that night.



The next day, the day before the World Cup, they again made their way through the Monastiraki. This time toward the Wizarding Agora located just before the entrance to the Ancient Agora. They spent the morning poking around in the Wizarding shops picking up trinkets for friends and family. In the afternoon after a lunch in a street café, they took a portkey to see the Oracle at Delphi.



Harry had been surprised that Hermione had wanted to visit there.



"I thought you didn't believe in divination?" said Harry as they waited for the portkey to Delphi in the travel office.



"Honestly Harry, the Oracle at Delphi is a very historical place. Besides everyone knows that the Oracle gave her 'prophecies' because of the poisonous gases that caused hallucinations," said Hermione.



"Oh, don't let the Priestess' hear you say that you'll get us kicked out Hermione," said Susan.



"What priestess'?" asked Hermione.



"You mean there is something you don't know?" scoffed Ron.



Susan huffed and punched Ron in the arm, "You don't have to be rude. Hermione there is still a temple to Apollo and an Oracle in residence. We are taking the Wizard tour so we'll get to see the temple and meeting rooms and everything. We'll get to meet an acolyte and see the prophecy room too," said Susan, excitement in her voice.



"But, Divination is such a woolly subject and prophecy is so-- " protested Hermione flinging her hands around.



"The one about Harry was true," stated Luna.



Hermione now had a frustrated look on her face, "Yes but, " she broke off at the look on Harry's face.



"Let's just agree," said Harry, "that no touches any prophesies no matter what the label, ok?"



Everyone nodded and Remus came back with a rope portkey.



They visited the ruins first and then the muggle museum, from there they went through the divider into the magical section. They saw the temple and were allow to light some incense, wandered through the public rooms and saw the audience chamber were questions could be asked of the Oracle on certain days. Harry hesitated at the doors to the Prophecy chamber; he wasn't sure he wanted to see rows of prophecies again. The rest of the group were asking questions of an acolyte, as they weren't allowed in the Chamber unaccompanied.



"Hello," said a voice from behind Harry, starling him some.



He turned and found an older woman standing behind him, she was dressed like the acolyte had been in what Harry had learned was a chiton, a traditional Greek dress. She smiled at him and he couldn't help but smile back.



"You do not wish to view the prophecies with your friends?" she asked.



"Not really, I don't think I like prophecy much," said Harry, wrinkling up his nose.



She laughed, "Sometimes I don't care for them either. They can be confusing and are, historically, self-fullfilling. They can drive men to foolish acts."



Harry shook his head, "I don't understand."



"Come, sit with me while you wait for your friends," she led him over to one of the benches that lined the hall. "You are familiar with prophecy?"



"Unfortunately, yes. I've heard two that came true," he said with a grimace.



She cocked her head sideways and studied him through narrowed eyes. "Yes, I see, you are touched by prophecy. You are a catalyst for change."



Harry stiffened and flinched back. "You're a seer? Please don't tell me anything," he begged.



She shook her head, "I cannot 'see' your future for there are to many paths, and you are a catalyst for change. Your decisions, choices, actions and reactions shape the lives of others, and theirs of still others, as ripples in water."



Harry paled and whispered, "I don't want that kind of power, what should I do?"



She leaned forward and placed a hand on his arm. "There is nothing you can do about it. It is the way it is. You must live your life the best that you know how, make the decisions you feel are right, if you discover you've made a mistake admit it, try to correct it. It is the way all men should live. Your life impacts on others, even retreat from your friends would change them. Do you understand?"



"I...yes I think so, but I just want to be normal, just Harry."



She laughed then, "Ah, but you are just Harry and this," she made a sweeping gesture, "is normal for you. Do not worry over prophecy, be yourself, let others make fools of themselves. Prophecy is but another tool to use, not to be used by."



"So I don't have to worry that I'm a, what did you call it, catalyst for change? Will I know when I've done it?" asked Harry.



"Perhaps, it is part of who you are, of who you have always been. Perhaps you will notice it more now that you are aware, perhaps not." She gave him a sly look as several women rushed past them and into the Prophecy Chamber. "I do thank you for bring me a new sister, perhaps even She-Who-Will-Follow-Me." She leaned toward him and kissed his forehead. Then rose and entered the Prophecy Chamber just as Harry's friends were being ejected. Susan stared wide-eyed as the woman passed her.



"What's going on?" asked a stunned Harry who wasn't sure that he really wanted to know.



"Luna's a seer, she just went funny in there and said a prophecy. The acolyte got all excited and other people rushed in and then they threw us out to talk to Luna," said Neville. "I hope she's alright."



"Well she's always seen thing differently that everyone else that why she got called names," said Ginny.



"Did you see, that was Pythia, that passed us?" whispered Susan.



"The Oracle, really?" said Hermione.



Harry rolled his eyes, of course, he thought, who else who I be sitting here talking to. Why me?



"So why are they making such a big deal about Luna?" asked Ron.



"Where's Remus?" asked Harry now noticing that Lupin wasn't with the group.



"Still in there," said Neville, pointing at the now closed door.



"Ron, they are making a big deal because real Sight is important. One of the most prestigious schools for Divination is right here in Delphi. If her gift in strong enough she could even become an acolyte here," said Susan.



It was a short time later that Remus and Luna joined them and they could leave.



"You ok, Luna?" asked Harry in the van on the way back to the villa.



"Yes, Harry, thank you for asking."



"So what happens now?"



"Oh, well Daddy will be coming tomorrow and then the next day, we will go back to the temple to discuss my options. They want me to come to school there but I want to go back to Hogwarts. I think I'll stay here, at the temple, when you leave for the week before school but I'll be on the train September first."



Harry nodded, and then grinned, "So do you remember your prophecy?"



She shook her head, "No but I'm sure that Hermione wrote it down."



Hermione one seat up and listening in, blushed, "I did, I was going to ask later if I could show it to Harry since he didn't hear it. I think it could be important," said Hermione, turning in her seat.



"Yes, Harry can hear it."



On the field of battle, light and dark clash

A blow most foul downs lights champion,

Lights hope fades as dark takes its toll

Winged victory in his grasp

Dark takes the day



Harry blinked at the paper and read it again, Luna looking over his shoulder.



"Well it's pretty vague. What do you think Luna?" asked Harry.



She shrugged and said, "I don't think it's that important." Then she turned, staring out of the window at the passing cars.



Both Ron and Neville were now hanging over the back of Harry's seat.



"Not important! It is too bloody well important. Harry some dark bastards going to kill you," Ron shouted in Harry's ear.



"Voldemort's gone though, why would there be a battle now?" asked Neville in Harry's other ear.



Harry started to shake his head.



"But Harry, Ron's right, this could mean that there is going to be a new dark lord and he'll want to kill you to assure his place. We have to keep training. We can have the DA this year again!" exclaimed Hermione.



"Besides it will help with OWL's and NEWT's." said Ginny with a smirk from beside Harry. Susan was looking back from her place next to Hermione, nodding. Harry realized that he was surrounded and that they had done this to him on purpose.



"Guys... guys, look, I don't see why you think this might be about me." He held up a hand. "I don't think we need to worry about it right now. Let's just leave it at forewarned is forearmed ok, and keep it between ourselves just in case?"



He heard muttering behind him as Ron and Neville discussed Luna's prophecy. Susan and Hermione's heads were together as well. Luna stared out of the window and Ginny leaned on him with her eyes closed for the rest of the trip. When they got out of the van at the villa he held Remus back.



"Remus, do not tell anyone about that damn prophecy, please." begged Harry.



"Don't worry I won't. The Pythia said no one but the temple researchers will have access unless it proven that it has come to pass."



"Good!"



The prophecy was soon forgotten when they discovered that Victor Krum and several of his teammates from the Vultures had arrived while they were out.





Revised 1/18/07


Sign up to rate and review this story