Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Here Is Your Verse

Forget December

by killxsmile 7 reviews

The holidays bring out the best in people...unless your name is Emi Ikuhara.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2007-01-13 - Updated: 2007-01-14 - 1194 words - Complete

3Original
Author's Note: I finally got over my writer's block and came up with a new story. Other than the pairings, I'm not completely sure where I'm going with this, so feel free to make suggestions.

*EDIT: To prevent confusion, this is not a sequel to 'Sophomore Slump.' Same character, new story. I love Emi, don't you?

In other news, I passed range today, meaning that I'm one step closer to getting my driver's license! ;)

Chapter One: Forget December

This month only will be so lonely and not so holy anymore.
-Something Corporate

Emi's POV

"It's the most wonderful time of the year
There's kids jingle belling
and everyone telling you 'be of good cheer'
It's the most wonderful time of the year"


"Most wonderful time of the year. Yeah right," I quietly said, walking out of Marshall Fields.

Let's just say winter isn't my favorite season. Don't get me wrong, though. There are a lot of aspects of the holidays that I love: spending time with my family, getting a break from school, cheesy Christmas carols, shopping for presents, baking pies, ice skating with friends, and of course the weather. Call me crazy, but I love Chicago's insanely cold winters. Seeing my breath float away never ceases to amaze me...

Still, winter + me = disaster.

Shifting my thoughts back to my feet and where they were taking me, I noticed that I had made it all the way to the train station. I set my bags down and pulled out my wallet. Luckily, I had just enough money to get home. I quickly went to the ticket counter and told the attendant my destination, also handing over the money. "Happy holidays," she said, giving me a ticket. "Yeah, you too," I responded, trying to sound as cheerful as possible.

As my train approached, I picked up my bags and made sure that my ticket was in my pocket. (I have a habit of misplacing things.) Train doors slid open and I took a seat, setting my numerous holiday finds next to me. Realizing that it would be a while until I got home, I took out my iPod. After putting on my Christmas playlist, I shifted my attention to the window next to me. Building after building. Tree after tree. The scenery was monotonous, but that didn't stop me from staring. Snow had a way of making everything look magical. Slums became suburbs after being blanketed in white.

Soon fresh snowflakes drifted into sight. Just as a smile tugged at my lips, Andrew McMahon's voice rang through my ears. "Forget December. It won't be better than I remember it before. And this month only will be so lonely and not so holy anymore." I furrowed my eyebrows and let out a sigh. It was official. My iPod hated me. I quickly pressed the skip button, hoping for a happier tune. Settling for OkGo's rendition of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,' I sank into my seat and wished that I was somewhere else.

"Hey!"
"Holy sh-" I turned around and saw Liv and Jasper. Joined at the hip, as usual. "You scared the crap out of me!"
"Chill out, Emi. You looked like you were contemplating the meaning of life just now."
I guess I was a little deep in thought.
"Jasper and I were wondering if you wanted to watch a movie with us tomorrow night."
"I don't know..." I said, trying to come up with an excuse. Watching them make out at a theater didn't sound so appealing. Scratch that. It didn't sound appealing at all.
"Aww, come on," Liv said, giving me her best puppy dog face. Luckily, I'd already built up a tolerance for it.
"I don't wanna be a third wheel."

Which brings me back to my dislike of the winter. As I said earlier, I like the cold... in one sense of the word anyways. This serves as a problem because the holidays seem to bring on both aspects of it. ¿Tú comprendes? ¿No? Take Liv and Jasper, for example. They've been together since the second grade, giving them a grand total of 10 years of coupledom. Adorable. Cute. Sickeningly sweet. They might as well be married. December only seems to magnify how perfect they are for each other. This, in turn, reminds me of how alone I am.

"Did you hear me?" Liv asked, waving a hand in front of my face.
"Huh?"
"She said that you won't be a third wheel. My cousin is-"
"Nuh-uh. Blind date? Not happening," I said, cutting Jasper off.
"Be reasonable, Emi. We're just trying to cheer you up. You seem so...mopey lately."
"Yeah, Em. Give it a shot."

For a split second, I had a lapse in judgment. Before I knew what I was saying, the word "okay" slipped from my lips. Instantly regretting it, I covered my mouth, but Jasper was already on the phone.

"You won't regret it," Liv said, sensing my uncertainty. "His cousin's cute."
"Hey, I heard that," Jasper said, still talking on the phone.
"He's cute, but you're cuter." Liv kissed his cheek.
"Mhmm...Yeah...7:00...Don't worry about it, she's pretty...Yeah...Bye." With that, Jasper closed his phone and put his arm around his girlfriend. "It's official. Tomorrow at 7."
"Great," I said, half-enthused. Liv smirked and leaned on Jasper's shoulder. Not wanting to take in anymore of their coupled cuteness, I turned around and continued my staring contest with the window.

*
"Emi, get up." Someone was shaking my shoulder. "This is our stop," Jasper said.
"Oh, thanks." Other than being one of my best friends, Jasper was also my neighbor.
"Call me when you get home," he said, after kissing Liv.
"Mhmm. Love you."
"Love you too."
"Bye, Liv."
"Bye, Emi." She gave me a warm hug and gave Jasper one last kiss.

Jasper and I stepped off the train and headed home. We walked in comfortable silence for the first block or so.
"Em, I know that you don't really want to go tomorrow-"
"What gave you that idea?" I said. It came out sharper than I intended. He sighed. "Sorry, Jasp."
"If not for me, please do this for yourself," he said, sincerity dripping from every word. "You may think that you hide it well...but I know that you get lonely sometimes."
I opened my mouth to interject, but anything I said would have been utter bullshit. After thinking for a few seconds, I said the first words that came to mind: "The holidays suck."
"Aww, come on. The snow, the presents, Jesus. What's not to love?" He asked.
"Well, there's long lines at the mall, Chia Pets, tube socks, and happy couples that make me want to gag myself with a spoon."
"See, that's why I'm setting you up," he said, triumphantly.
"What makes you think he'll like me? Or better yet, that I'll like him?"
"He's in a band."

Great. The last thing I needed was a floppy-haired 'I-play-guitar-I'm-so-cool,' boyfriend. What the hell did I get myself into?

"This is what you're going on? I'll like him because he's in a band?!"
"Just trust me on this, Emi."

*
Reviews = love.
Sign up to rate and review this story