Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Beyond the Veil

Chapter 5

by Corvis 0 reviews

Takes place after OotP, what happens to Sirius when he falls into the veil, and what he has to do to make things right.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Sirius - Published: 2007-01-22 - Updated: 2007-01-22 - 3272 words

-1Boring
Chapter 5

Sirius awoke again with a start. He was shivering. The battle he had just seen still played itself over and over in his head. He pushed the heels of his hands deep into his eyes. During all the years in Azkaban, Sirius thought of Harry. Seeing him again in that state was a shock to his own morale. And now he had just witnessed his death. It was almost too much for Sirius to take. He was furious. Not at Harry, but at the fact that the kid had to deal with Voldemort more times than any of the people he knew. Who could blame the kid for being tired? Sirius knew that Harry was not a weak person, he was just jaded at that point. Sirius knew Harry's thoughts as he threw down his wand and accepted defeat.

"Sirius, he wanted to be here with us. And not that we don't want him, we do, but not like that. Not murdered at the hands of Voldemort." Lily had appeared next to him. They were sitting at the edge of that lake at Hogwarts. She was wearing white robes and emanated an almost blinding light. James stood leaning on a tree not too far behind her.

Sirius gazed into the water. His reflection stared back at him. He was young again. Just as he looked before Lily and James were killed. He stretched his arms and felt the power in them. He was indeed just as he used to be. Lily smiled at him. "Harry has bigger things in his future. We want him to realize them. It would be selfish of us to accept him now. He needs help though. He's lost too much at this point, he doesn't care. You need to help him."

Sirius wanted to yell at them that he said that he would help, but they were already leaving him. Lily and James were walking back to the castle holding hands. James looked back. As if to answer his question, he asked "Then why are you still here?". He then winked and made his way to the castle with Lily.

Very confused he turned back to the lake. What was he supposed to do now? All they seemed to talk was riddles, and he couldn't figure them out. Lily and James were out of sight when he looked back for them. Sirius sighed. He looked into the deep water of the lake. There he was, fresh as rain. His black hair was no longer disheveled and long, it was trimmed and combed. His face was young again, gone were the wrinkles and anxiety lines he acquired in Azkaban. He looked at his arms again. They were muscular and toned, it seemed he had gained back the healthy weight he had lost. He was astonished at who looked back at him, and he wondered if the lake was playing tricks on him. As he ran his hands over his new smooth face, he was convinced.

He wondered what it was he had to do. Harry's death still played over and over in his mind. James and Lily's response to it made him even angrier. He would give anything to see Harry again! He started to feel the anger. It came bubbling back up to the surface, a wave of unleashed fury. He remembered Narcissa's behavior and became even angrier. It was just like her. She was foolish to side with the Dark Lord. But as he thought of her, he also wondered why he had been shown so much of her life. Why was she of any importance? He was confounded. Thinking hard he tried to remember every tiny detail.

Sirius was pulled from his thoughts as he realized things around him had changed again. He was back in Hogwarts. He was at a desk. Minerva McGonagall was at the lectern. She was droning on and on about something, as usual. He was busy doodling on his parchment. He looked over at James who caught his eye. He leaned his head back at let out a small snore. Sirius almost laughed out loud, but choked it back as McGonagall strode silently down the isle. She carried a heavy Transfiguration book in her hands. She threw it down on the desk. It slapped the surface of the table so hard! Every student who wasn't watching what she was doing jumped in the air. James clutched his heart and almost fell out of the desk. McGonagall smiled grimly.

"Mr. Potter, 10 points from Gryffindor. You're very lucky that there was only one snore. Mr. Black, 5 points off for your feeble attempt at being aloof. Now class, where were we? Ah, yes, the assignment due for tomorrow is an essay on five different Animagi and what their transformation represents. Mr. Black, Mr. Potter, I will expect ten different examples and your house may have their points back." She closed he book and dismissed the class. A few Gryffindor students glared at them.

"Well, this is gonna be almost easy. I'll bet we're the only students who have first hand experience." James threw his head back to get his hair out of his eyes. "I'll see you at the pitch tonight." He ran off to catch up to Lily.

Sirius knew he was here to remember that essay. He knew it actually caught his interest. It was the only assignment that Minerva ever assigned him that he didn't mind doing once he started it. He remembered some of the animals that he did. James voice was in his head.

There was the dog, stag, rat, cat, owl, wolf, lion, raven, and some others I don't remember. I copied yours, remember?

Actually he didn't remember James copying, but he smiled. It was a James thing to do. He started remembering what he had written. When a person changed, they had no choice as to the animal they became. It was sort of luck of the draw. And now that he knew more about life it made more sense. The animal that one became carried all of the traits of the person. So it made sense for Sirius to become a dog. He was loyal. He was defensive of his friends. James was a stag because he was proud. He always had the advantage. Peter was a rat because that's what he would turn out to be, Sirius knew that now. And Remus was a wolf for obvious reasons. He wondered what Harry would become. It was a hard feat to accomplish. He had no doubt that Harry could do it.

Sirius found he was now in the Gryffindor common room. A wave of annoyance flowed through him, he was starting not to like the sensation of being whisked from one place to another so abruptly and having no say in it whatsoever. He was on his way to meet James at the pitch when James pushed his way into his head.

It's time to go. You know what you have to do now. Think of Remus. He and you have a lot to discuss. It's time to go back.

As he was perplexed about what was happening, and how he had to go back, Dumbledore stepped into the room, apparently laughing at something the fat lady said to him. He was startled to see Sirius. Then a look of realization came over him.

"Ah, Sirius, just the 'student' I was looking for. I believe we have something to discuss. Would you like a lemon drop?" He held one out to him. Sirius shrugged, it had been a long time since he had a sweet. He took the drop and immediately felt a familiar pull at his navel. A portkey.

He landed awkwardly in the kitchen of Grimmauld place. He grunted as he fell into the table, upsetting the dishes that were in place for breakfast. A very shocked Molly started screaming her head off, those screams setting off his insufferable mother who began a rant about dirty mudbloods and blood traitors.

"Heya Molly, fancy seeing you here." He said dryly as he picked himself up and righted the dishes. He wasn't sure if he was really here yet. As he looked around trying to decipher if what he was seeing was real or another vision, the fireplace sprung to life. An older Albus Dumbledore stepped out. He dusted his robes off and looked at Sirius over the rims of his half moon spectacles.

"Sirius Black, well it seems as I have arrived at the proper time. It was so long ago I wasn't sure that I would get it right. My apologies Molly, I probably should have warned you, but I wasn't quite sure if it would work or not. Well, I believe we have some explaining to do." He looked around at the room, winking at Sirius in the process. Arthur was in the doorway, he had apparently been shaving and half of his face was still covered in cream. His mouth was opening and closing, but no sound was coming out.

"Albus, am I really here?" Sirius looked anxiously at Albus. Molly looked bewildered at the question. She was staring at Sirius with an awed look on her face.

"Sirius, I do believe that you are here, as Molly and Arthur can see you. Now, I also suggest that you eat that portkey, as I would not like to find out what would happen if it was reactivated." He smiled as Sirius popped the lemon drop into his mouth. It was the best lemon drop he had ever eaten. He ignored the fact that it had traveled through how many years and possibly dimensions with him. He stopped his train of thought. What that even possible? How did he get here?!

"Now then, Molly has prepared a wonderful breakfast, let's enjoy a meal together before we get down to business." Molly went about setting plates for their new arrivals. She then called the rest of the house for the meal.

People began to file into the room, still groggy. Fred and George hardly noticed Sirius when Ron's eyes goggled and he exclaimed, "I thought you were dead though!" Molly promptly smacked him in the rear with her wand. Remus quickly rushed to his old friend and pulled him in for a hug. He looked at Sirius up and down and asked the question that everyone was wondering.

"Why Sirius, you look ten years younger! No more than ten!" He clapped his hand on his back, "Is it really you?" He still wasn't sure if he was awake yet.

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "I do believe there are a lot of things that need proper explanations. Let's begin our meal."

Everyone sat in his or her seats. There was a discussion ahead that Sirius knew would last probably long into the night. Dumbledore thanked Molly as she served everyone present. Sirius noticed that his godson was not at the table.

"Where's Harry?" He was impatient to find Harry and assure him that he was all right. Dumbledore explained that Harry was to stay at the Dursley's under Auror protection until he was properly picked up and brought to Grimmauld Place. He explained to anyone who didn't already know why Harry was to stay with his Aunt Petunia for at least two weeks of every year.

"But if Sirius is here, then isn't this a proper home for him?" Hermoine was quick to analyze the situation. She was staying at Grimmauld place for the summer. Dumbledore felt that it was safer for her to stay there rather than to put her family in danger. Voldemort would remember who she was from the Ministry incident. Her parents were back at their home believing that she was on vacation with the Weasley's in Sweden. Her parents were also under Auror protection for the time being.

"Indeed that is a very good observation, Hermoine. But the magic that protects Harry is in his blood, and none of us here share that with him." Dumbledore wished it had, after all that had happened, he felt as though he owed Harry. The boy was quite angry with him at the moment. He knew he couldn't have told Harry about what was possibly to happen, to do so would have upset any events to transpire. Dumbledore shuddered. He had an idea of what was behind the Veil, and he wondered if Harry would have leapt into it, thinking it a way to be back with his mother and father. The prospect was frightening. Dumbledore was amazed that Sirius had presented the fortitude to make it through with his sanity in tact, and that had yet to be tested.

Dumbledore asked Sirius what exactly happened when he fell through the Veil. Sirius gave them all a detailed account of his experiences. Remus gasped when Sirius spoke of his conversations with James and Lily. He dearly missed his old friends and thought that he was alone when Sirius had passed. He couldn't shake the darkness of those days, and he couldn't take his eyes off his friend, not sure if he could believe that he was actually there. Sirius came to the part where his task was explained. Dumbledore lowered his head when Sirius explained his role as the Grim. He looked positively grave when Sirius explained the role of his own blood. He shook his head.

"I never thought that the situation would come to such dire consequences. If these visions of the future are to be trusted, we have a battle ahead of us that we must not lose. This is a grave matter, indeed." Dumbledore looked at Sirius expectantly. Sirius did have an important question for him.

"How is it that only you and Voldemort were able to see me? No one else could. And it was only in certain scenes." Sirius leaned forward on the table. As he was finished with his account, he was starting to want some answers of his own.

Dumbledore started his own explanation as far as he knew. Sirius was in fact dead when he passed the veil. The fact that he could hear Harry after he passed was proof of a higher magic. He went on ask everyone present why they thought that some pure bloodlines didn't fade out.

"I think it's quite obvious!" Fred and George answered at the same time in a smug voice. There was some laughter. It felt good to laugh again, Sirius thought. Molly was not amused and started to send the children out of the room. Dumbledore stopped her.

"I believe that they are old enough to be here. We cannot keep them in the dark anymore. They have the chance to help their friend. They have seen the battle that they face and they know the dangers. I will not push aside help because of the physical age. These are special children. They will be protected at all costs, Molly. They can give us a fresh perspective to look at. They all have traits that will no doubt be useful in our cause." Molly was obviously not swayed. "Molly, I give you my word, on all that I am, that they will not be harmed. I will put my very own life before theirs, as anyone in this room will agree to as well." Molly was sated but still uneasy.

"Now Fred and George, you are correct that there is a certain way that people carry on their bloodlines. But for a pureblood wizard, sometimes it does not work that way. I am currently one hundred and fifty years old. I will get older and older until I have an heir. I need to pass my blood to someone before I can die. It is a way to keep the blood flowing so to speak. And I have no doubt that the time will come."

There was some snickering from the twins, Dumbledore even gave them a smile, "And Sirius here has the same problem. He is the last Black to carry this blood. Narcissa gave hers to Malfoy. So there is a pressing need for Sirius to propagate." There was more snickering at that point. "He is one of very few wizards that possess this trait. Arthur, you possessed it, but you have more than made your contribution. It was a way to ensure that one's bloodline never ran dry. So the firstborn male to any pureblood wizard is his Heir. That is why so many families in the wizarding pureblood families arrange marriages, such as the case with Narcissa and Lucius. Draco is the product of this union, and therefore the blood that he carries rivals anyone's, as he is the progeny of two very ancient bloodlines. If he were to put that power to the test, I dread to think what could happen. As for Narcissa and Voldemort's progeny, we will have to end this before it comes to that." He sat back in his chair and looked around the table. Every one was digesting this new piece of information. Molly looked amazed that her children kept their giggles and imappropriate comments to themselves. They were actually making an effort to be serious.

Dumbledore continued. "The only explanation that I have for my and Voldemort's ability to see you is that there are things fated to be changed about the future you saw. But fate is fair in her ways, and I don't think that I would be given the upper hand by Fortuna. So we were both given a small piece if information. Not much, but enough that we were both aware of your return. As for your youth being restored, it was more than likely due to the time that I gave you the lemon drop. You have the body of an eighteen-year-old man, with the knowledge of someone far older. Something we all wish for. I thought it was odd that James came to my office and gave me that lemon drop for you, but I know now that it was the James you spoke to in the Veil. It explains the fact that it could have whisked you back here as it did. How James was aware that this would be Order headquarters at the time raises many questions about the afterlife that I have no proper answers or speculations for." He was trying up all the loose ends in his head out loud.

He concluded that was as much as he could figure out. He was sure that becoming the Grim was a feat that Sirius could accomplish, but it would be difficult. For the time being, he requested that Sirius meet with both Remus and Minerva to explore this aspect of his Animagus. With that, everyone was dismissed and Sirius was left to rest. He was happy for the excuse to get alone and think about all that had happened.

He made his way to his room. He had Harry on his mind and he couldn't shake the anger and grief that washed over him when he first passed the Veil. He needed to get in touch with him and let him know that he was alright. He pulled open a dresser drawer and pulled out his two-way mirror. He hoped that Harry would have it with him. He looked at the broken shards of glass and realized that Harry must have broken his mirror, thinking the worst.

Sirius sighed, he would just have to make the trip via floo, broom, apparation, anything. And he wasn't going to take no for an answer from anyone.
Sign up to rate and review this story