Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Four: Traveling Warriors

by Giroro5X 2 reviews

Hey everybody! This chapter wraps up a couple of loose ends for some of the characters, while progressing the sub-plot for Shui, Bo, Min and the other residents of Bai-Jing in the absence of the ot...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-01-23 - Updated: 2007-01-24 - 5052 words

0Unrated


Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Four: Traveling Warriors


The pirate leapt forward, her blade piercing through the air. Her eyes burned angrily, fueled by the pain of the now visible wound on her torso.

The hunched figure shifted, hand lifting slightly to stop her as Ahnah sobbed loudly, fretting over his safety.

Shui stepped in, his arms lifting gracefully as the sword passed him. His right hand opened, his arm driving a palm strike towards the hand holding the weapon.

Her left hand shot up, swatting the attempt aside with her bracer before turning her upper body towards him with impressive speed. The blade cut once more through the twilight, its speed invoking a quiet howl.

Taken off guard by her reaction time, the firebender ducked to evade the attack, the sword missing by the hair's length. Turning his body he lashed his leg out along the ground, his foot nearing her far ankle in an attempt to take her off her feet.

Teeth clenching, the pirate leapt to dodge the maneuver. Lifting the weapon over her shoulder, she struck down with tremendous force as she fell towards him.

He kicked back, sliding a short distance as the blade left a clean scar upon the ground.

She glared towards him, wincing slightly as pain reminded her of the wound's presence.

Taking a stance Shui met the hostility with a defiant scowl, his feet pressing firmly against the ground as he brought his hands up into another stance. Now understanding the swiftness of her movements, he would not allow himself to be driven back a second time.

Gripping the hilt of her weapon, she readied herself.

The tense stillness of the situation lasted only a moment, the two growling loudly as they launched towards one another.

They met at the very center of the distance that had divided them, the pirate slashing towards him in an astonishing volley of strikes as he met each with equally impressive evasion.

A large cut tore across the teenager's sleeve as he pulled his arm away from one of her attacks. His muscled tightened, his legs kicking hard against the ground as he sprang forward.

Her upper body turned to the left, her glare fixed upon him as she prepared to lash the blade into her opponent horizontally. She froze, eyes going wide as she felt a hand clamp down on her wrist.

Shock filled Shui as he felt the very same.

In a strong, fluid motion the two found themselves facing opposite directions, each squirming as their arms were twisted behind them.

To the back of each was Bo, his hands fixed tightly on their wrists. His eyes remained focused, his hold steady as he gave them the opportunity to calm down.

It was not long before the two had ceased their struggling, yet the hostile tension in their wrists passed only with the twilight. Feeling their grudging calm, the older firebender released each with a gentle push.

Shui composed himself, rubbing his wrist gently before peering back towards his opponent.

The pirate leered back towards him, turning her head away contemptuously as she noticed his observation. Her frame shuddered slightly, her hand instinctively pressing over her wound.

Having soothed the fiery spirits of youth, Bo turned his attention towards the young girl and her father. Approaching them slowly, he kneeled near Ahnah.

The teenage girl turned her attention towards the old man, regarding him with heavy suspicion.

Shui narrowed his eyes, observing her with the very same.

The young Water Tribe girl sniffled, clinging to her father worriedly as he slowly pet her head to reassure her. His hunched figure quivered, startled by the sudden presence of an aged hand before him. Exhausted, his eyes trailed slowly along the arm in search of its owner.

Holding back her tears, the little girl looked up to the old man who had helped her find her father. She hoped quietly that he would be able to help somehow.

Bo's eyes conveyed concern, his mind curious as to the appearance of the man.

Where Ahnah and the pirate who had engaged Shui held the complexion of the Water Tribe this man's skin was fair and light, a tone more appropriate of the Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation. His clothing, though torn and burnt on some edges by the efforts of firebenders, hinted to others his rank.

A tired smile crept over his face, his hand lifting to meet Bo's offer.

"Father," the pirate girl's eyes widened, taking a step forward in disbelief.

"Find the men," the captain requested tiredly as the old firebender hoisted him up, draping his exhausted arm over his shoulder to better carry him. Ahnah clung worriedly to the cloth of his pants, indescribably grateful that Bo was helping her father.

"Father, we know nothing about the..."

"Find the men," he repeated the order with no anger, hoping only that his daughter would comply.

"What if they..." worry filled her eyes as they passed her.

"Onawa," he smiled softly. "They brought your sister to us...They could have taken us out while we're hurt, but they didn't." An expression of pain filled his face, his muscles tightening as he fended off the sensation. "We'll trust...Them," he forced out the final word, the pain weighing his speech doing well to end the discussion then and there.

Her hand rose, her mouth opening slightly to protest. No sound escaped her, her honor for her father enabling her to respect his orders, albeit grudgingly. Narrowing her eyes, she turned her attention back towards Shui.

"You," she growled, her father's command doing little to ease her distrust.

He responded with a simple glower, the sentiment entirely mutual.

"Help me gather them," Onawa grumbled, turning towards the pirates that Bo had defeated.

The teenager glanced in the direction of his master, catching a glimpse of his shoulder as he stepped beyond eye's reach with the captain and child. Understanding the proper course of action, he released an annoyed snort. He glanced towards her suspiciously as he made his way towards her comrades.



"We wish you well then," Liang smiled gently as he bowed towards the group, immeasurably grateful. Not only had they calmed the raging spirit of Gousaru, but Chin-Hwa had shown tremendous kindness in offering him the position of manager for the Golden Monkey Inn.

The majority of the village had gathered to see the travelers off, Liang standing at the head of the party to speak on their behalf, the elder Zian and Bolin standing beside him.

"We will be sure to visit again soon, you have my word," Chin-Hwa smiled before bowing before the citizens of Wei Min.

Li Mei stepped away from the others, blushing slightly as she looked towards Bolin.

The young teenager's body tensed, his frame tightening nervously as she drew closer.

"Take care, Bolin," she started softly, trying not to draw the attention of the others for fear that they might poke fun at her for her interest in the boy later. "Feel free to write me...But, but don't feel like you have to. I mean, it would be nice if you did, but it's okay if you don't. No, that's...I mean, I would like you to, but you shouldn't unless you want to, right? You can right if you want to. No, I know you can write, I don't want it to sound like I think you can't. You can, I'm sure you can. I've...I've never seen you write, but I'm very sure that you can. It's okay if you can't though, there's nothing wrong with that..." her cheeks flushed further, feeling herself becoming lost in her words.

His mind hurried, searching fervently for the proper words to part by.

"...Wr...Write to me...?" she glanced aside, whispering as her face took on a shade of crimson.

"...Y...Yeah," he stammered, his mind cursing his mouth for the complete lack of cooperation.

"Really!?" her eyes lit up. "Th...Thank you!" she bowed quickly, hurrying back towards the group in an attempt to avoid further embarrassment.

"I thank you all for the kindness and hospitality you have shown me. I am in your debt," Wen Lan bowed politely, smiling softly as she looked upon the villagers.

"Lady Wen Lan, you are a member of the Yang estate. It is a privilege and honor to take care of you while you reside within our village," Liang offered kindly, returning a bow of equal depth.

"Perhaps, but I feel such regard is far too formal," she admit. "I hope you will consider me more a friend than a noble."

"Your humility is a testament to your character," the newly appointed manager smiled. "It is our hope that you will return to us soon." Villagers behind him nodded gently in agreement.

"I promise," she bowed her head once more before turning towards the path before them.

Chin-Hwa nodded his head kindly towards his successor, taking her side as they walked the trail.

In the distance stood Gang, his arms folded as he leaned against Boots' side. Agitation filled his face, eyes glaring towards Chin-Hwa.

Strapped to each side of the komodo rhino was a bundle of supplies needed for their journey to Bai-Jing. Tucked between each bundle was a container of the finest sake to be found in Wei Min, of which none were reserved for the old bodyguard.

"Hmph," he grunted.

"What's wrong?" Li Mei's eyebrow rose, confused by his aggravation.

Boots moaned, digging his snout against the ground before laying his head to it.

"You win," the firebender grumbled as the three drew closer. Gripping Boot's reins, he led the mighty beast along the trail.

"Oh?" Chin-Hwa grinned gently, his hand combing through his beard. "You asked Li Mei about our little wager?"

"Wager?" Wen Lan turned her attention towards the old noble with a puzzled look.

"Yes. Gang and I came to form an agreement based upon a conversation we had on our way to the village."

"Is this why you were asking me about animals and sake?" Li Mei's eyes narrowed as she walked beside Wen Lan, the three trailing behind the disgruntled firebender.

"And might I inquire as to what your answer was, Li Mei?" the old noble smiled knowingly towards the girl.

"I told him it was awful for them!" she scolded him from a distance, realizing the nature of the question to be even more foolish than she had conceived.

"Yeah, but what's she know? She treats people, not animals!" Gang barked, looking over his shoulder. The volume of his voice caused Boots to grumble, shaking his head back and forth slightly.

"I know that you can't give alcohol to animals!" the girl yelled back.

"Doesn't matter, I tested it out anyway!" he grunted.

Chin-Hwa blinked, narrowing his eyes as he paid careful mind to the rhino's steps. Altering his pace he caught up to the two, looking to the beast's face for confirmation of his suspicion.

Boots pushed forward, his tongue hanging idly from his mouth as a low groan escaped his throat.

"Is this creature drunk!?" the noble exclaimed.

"Idiot," Li Mei muttered.

Wen Lan could not help but offer an amused smile, sighing as she watched the two old men begin their quarrel.

"Not my fault he's a lightweight," Gang grunted.

"He looks terrible!"

"Nah, you should've seen him this morning. That was terrible," he explained, looking down to inspect his steed's recovery.

"Regardless," Chin-Hwa composed himself, "you have seen the matter through to the end and it has only confirmed my original assertion."

"Yeah yeah, I'll clean up the garden," he groaned, only now regretting the conditions he had subjected the terrain to.

"As we agreed. Such being the case, I feel it is time I let you in on a secret," the old noble smiled pleasantly, placing his hat carefully atop his head.

"Hmm?"

"I knew from the very beginning that I would win this debate," he smirked slyly.

"Pfft, how?" Gang eyed him suspiciously.

"Simply this. What is the fate of the man who drinks more than he is capable of tolerating?"

"Gets drunk. So?"

"And if he drinks too much beyond that?"

"There's a 'too much'?" the old bodyguard blinked.

"The correct answer is that the drink acts as a poison, carrying the potential to kill the one who had so foolishly consumed it," he explained.

"What's that got to do with anything?"

"If that fact rings true, then alcohol is, in fact, bad for humans under particular circumstances. Who is to say that it would act any differently with animals?" he smiled cleverly.

"...You set me up!" Gang exclaimed as the he made sense of the noble's words.

"Yes, but I assumed there would be no other occasion where you would offer to repair the damage rendered upon my garden."

"Hmph," the firebender grunted.

"...Pardon me, lord Chin-Hwa, but the logic in your argument notes the potential of the drink, yes?" Wen Lan asked quietly from just beside him.

"Yes. Sake is not immediately lethal, otherwise it would not be so widely enjoyed. Yet it is capable of acting as a poison," he smiled.

"...Then, my lord, by your logic isn't it the case that Gang is also correct?"

"How so?" he looked towards her, slightly puzzled by her inquiry.

Sharing the sentiment, Gang did the same.

"Li Mei, I recall that when I was very young, I received a scratch while playing. Before bandaging it, your father used a small amount of sake from a container he had brought to my father." She looked towards her young friend to confirm the memory.

"I don't remember that, but it's true that you can use alcohol as a disinfectant," she answered, unsure as to the nature of the question.

"If that is the case, then does sake hold some potential as a disinfectant?" the young noble continued.

"I guess, but sake's not pure alcohol, there's other stuff mixed in. If you really had nothing else to work with, I guess you could use it," she shrugged.

"Then by that logic, sake has the potential for good, does it not?" she looked curiously towards her lord.

His mouth opened to answer, closing as he released her logic to be sound. A sigh escaped his lips.

"So I'm right?!" Gang grinned, understanding his lady's argument entirely.

"Yes," Chin-Hwa muttered.

"Ha ha! I almost ended up fixing the whole garden, too!" the bodyguard laughed, turning to study the containers of sake strapped to his steed.

"Ah, you still have to repair it," Wen Lan noted.

"Eh?!" he looked over his shoulder.

"Lord Chin-Hwa's statement is entirely accurate; sake has the potential to harm. I merely proved that it also possesses at least some potential for good. Neither of you are wrong, but both are right."

"And therefore, we both win," the old noble nodded, still satisfied in the guarantee that his garden would be repaired.

"...I still get the sake, right?" Gang looked towards the noble.

"Yes."

"Works for me!" he grinned again, sorting through the containers.

"My apologies my lord," Wen Lan bowed her head, worrying that she had shamed him with so bold an action.

"My dear, there is no need for such!" he smiled warmly. Her logic had been quick and valid, filling him with a gentle pride in her.

"My thanks, lord Chin-Hwa," she bowed once again, smiling as she remained at his side.

"Yeah, that was great!" Li Mei beamed, looking up towards her friend with admiration.

The young noble smiled, thanking her for the compliment as they laughed.

"Lightweight," Gang scoffed at the rhino. "Hey kid, how do you cure a hangover?"

"I'm not telling you!" Li Mei hollered from the opposite side of the trail.

"Eh? What'd I do!?"

"I told you not to give him that stuff in the first place! Now he'll just have to walk it off and learn out how bad drinking is for him!"

"Look, lady Wen Lan already told you it's fine! It's a dissing second!"

"Disinfectant!" the girl a fourth his age corrected.

"Disinfectant, yeah, that!"

Boots groaned once more, staggering forward.

The group maintained their pace, pressing on through the forest as the noonday sun slipped gently between the leaves.



"Please lady, I didn't mean to! I was just going by what they told me, that's all!"

"Yeah, well what they told you is garbage," Ryoko sneered.

The artist flailed his arms, nearly crying as he stared down towards the ground.

The woman warrior grimaced, her grip on his ankle tight. She remained perched atop the roof, her other arm resting idly upon her knee.

"I don't know I don't know I don't know!" he screeched, wailing as he looked between her and the ground below repeatedly.

Jung stood at the base of the building, waiting for his master to conclude her business.

"Let's go over this again," she sighed. "Now, keep in mind that this is your last chance. Those other times I said it was your last chance? I was just trying to get you to answer me. Now I'm being serious." Turning her hand slightly, she rotated the sniveling man so as to look to his face.

"...B...But you s...said that before..."

"What's that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of me almost dropping you," she rose her voice as she lowered his leg quickly, still maintaining her hold.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, don't drop me!"

"You gonna answer?"

The man sobbed, delivering an indecipherable squeal as he struggled for words.

"Sounds good. Now," she cleared her throat, lifting the piece of paper to his face. "Why'd my bounty drop a little?"

The wanted poster hung inches before him, the amount offered for her greater than any he would ever know.

"Hmm? Oh yeah," she noted, turning the paper upside down so as to give him a proper view.

"I don't know...I don't make the bounties, I just write them down," he cried.

"Fine, fine," she muttered. "It'll go back up when they hear what I did in the Howling Wind pass. You're the artist for these, then?" she stared hard towards him.

"Yes," he squealed with terror.

"Then how come I look so ugly in this?!" she pressed the paper against his face. "Lookit this! I look like an elephant mandrill! And my nose isn't half that big!"

"I just go off of the description they give me!" he pleaded.

"Who described it to you, then?"

"I don't know; some bounty hunter!"

"A bounty hunter!" she exclaimed, her eyes going wide. "That explains it?"

Jung glanced up, the man dangling a story beyond his reach.

"Some hotshot must've given you a bad description of me to throw the others off! Wanted me all to himself. Clever," she grinned, rubbing her chin.

"Please let me go..." he sobbed uncontrollably.

"Hey, you're not done yet. You're gonna redo that poster, got it? And this time, I'm gonna sit right in front of you while you do it so people don't walk around thinkin' I look like this!" she pressed the paper back against his face.

"Anything! Please, just let me go!"

"You're also gonna buy me some sake," she bargained.

"Fine, fine!" he pressed his hands together, desiring nothing more than to get away from the woman.

"Deal, then!" she grinned. "Hey punk, incomin'," she glanced down towards her student, tossing the artist towards him.

The painter cried out in terror, plummeting towards the ground as his arms and legs flailed about in a desperate attempt to defy the same gravity he had spent his entire life obeying. The ground ceased its advance, the Demon of War catching him in his arms.

Jung set the painter down, maintaining a tight grip on his shoulder.

"Alright!" Ryoko landed just beside the warrior, standing before dusting herself off. "That went pretty well, I think!"

Between tears, the artist asked himself what he had ever done to deserve such.

"You're staying?" the Demon asked calmly, turning his attention towards his master.

"Yeah, I'll stick around a bit; get that new wanted poster done, do a little sightseeing, get some sake. The tourist thing. You?"

"I will return to Bai-Jing."

"Right, right. Listen, keep a drink out for me. I'll head over that way when I finish up here," she dug her pinky finger into her ear, fishing out a small ball of wax.

Jung lifted the painter by the shoulder, setting his shambling frame next to his mentor.

"We part here," he noted with a tone of disappointment discernable only by those that had known him for years.

Ryoko was the only one to match such description, smiling gently at him.

"Yeah, but not for long this time. Gotta check in on you, make sure that Wen Lan girl's keepin' you in shape," she smirked.

He nodded gently.

Lifting her hand, she punched him tenderly on the arm.

"Keep that drink out."

Beneath the broken section of his mask she noticed a warm smile, disappearing from sight as he turned his body to the north. Moments later he was gone, disappearing into a distant crowd.

"So. Let's get paintin'," she grinned towards the terrified artist.

He whimpered once again, looking with horror towards the warrior.



"Got the kettle," Min brushed the curtain dividing the kitchen and main room, lifting it to give them a clear view.

"Hmm," Bo smiled, the Pai Sho board positioned between him and the captain.

"Just what I need," he smiled. His injuries had been properly bandaged, this fact alone helping him to feel tremendously better. A few hours sleep had done wonders for his spirit.

"That's the spirit," the old woman grinned, setting cups before each of them. Looking over the Pai Sho board, she began to pour. "Who's winning?"

"Y'never know with this game. Sometimes you've got someone on the ropes, and it's only because they wanted you to," he grinned, resting his finger on one of the pieces. "But if I had to take a guess...I'd say the old man here is beating me senseless." Laughing, he moved the piece forward.

"Yeah, he's alright," she smirked, glancing sidelong towards Bo.

The old firebender nodded his head gratefully towards them with a gentle appreciative smile, his focus upon the game before him.

"Delicious," he stared down into the cup, having just sampled a taste of a tea brewed specifically to revitalize the spirit and help ease the pain born of wounds.

"Just made it a few minutes ago; drink it while it's still hot," she nodded towards the cup.

"This is your place then?" he asked before taking a slow, steady drink.

"Been in the family for generations!" she grinned with pride.

"Rightly so! This is the best tea I've had in all my travels!" The drink may have been improved by the fact that it was the first thing he'd consumed in over a day, yet his words held little exaggeration.

"Of course it is; best in the world!" Min scoffed, the corner of her mouth lifting in a smirk.

Bo smiled, moving another piece.

"So what's your name?" the old woman peered towards him, realizing she knew only that the man was a wounded pirate carried in by Bo. This fact alone had earned him her permission to heal in the tea house.

"Red Blade Haozen," he grinned. "Captain of the Jade Serpent! But most of all, obliged to both of you for your kindness to my crew."

"Don't worry; you'll work off your debt," she studied the board carefully.

"How's that, little lady?" he smirked.

"You'll bring some of my tea on board that ship of yours once it's all patched up, drop it off at ports and let people sample it. Before long, people will flock to Bai-Jing," she grinned, lifting the cup to her lips.

"Ambitious!" he laughed. "I like your style!"

The content expression on Bo's face lasted through the evening, his focus remaining on the board as he soaked in the conversation.

"Ah, Shui!" Sun smiled with relief as she neared the tea house.

The teenager looked up from his spot, pressed beside the entrance.

"My mother is insisting that we offer tea to the others, but," she glanced nervously in the direction of the flower shop owned by Jiao's family. "...They're pirates...I don't really want Qiu going in there...Do you think you could...?" she looked towards him hopefully.

He nodded quietly, his constant arguing with Min helping him to further appreciate and respect Sun. Taking the kettle he made his way towards the shop.

As he neared the door he could make out the shouting and jubilance of the pirates. Stepping in, he witnessed them celebrating their narrow escape from the Fire Nation, their wounds freshly treated and bandaged. A small group surrounded Jiao's mother, making every attempt to charm her with stories of daring adventures on the high seas.

She laughed politely at each one, wondering silently why she allowed Min to talk her into such affairs.

In the far corner of the shop he noticed Jiao smiling, excitedly describing the guardians of Bai-Jing, and the wondrous adventures that had filled the Kun valley.

The little girl, having few opportunities for friends beyond the crew of the Jade Serpent, followed Jiao with incredible fascination, making every effort to befriend the girl, though little was required. The two laughed and played together, exchanging stories of both the valley and the distant seas.

Before long he had finished filling each of their cups, meeting with gratitude from each of the pirates. Having emptied the kettle, he made his way back toward the tea house. He noticed a figure out of the corner of his eye as he stepped out, drawing to a halt with narrow eyes.

Onawa looked up at him, her arms crossed as she leaned beside the entrance to the shop.

"What?" she sneered, having no interest in another stare down.

"Nothing," he turned his attention away from her, choosing to ignore his former opponent.

"Tea?" the pirate peered curiously towards the kettle.

"Empty," he glanced back.

"Hey! Anyone not going to drink their tea?" she turned her attention towards the flower shop interior, studying the room. Following the sound of heavy footsteps a hand extended from the entrance, offering her a full cup.

"Thank you," she smiled, taking it from him carefully.

"Are you their captain?" Shui asked suddenly. In helping to treat the other's wounds, he had noticed them obey her without hesitation. Their submission to her had inspired his curiosity.

"No, a ship only has one captain. My father," she smirked with a gentle pride. "I'm his second in command." She took a sip from the cup, glancing down towards it upon realizing the quality of its taste.

"He's your father?" the answer had only birthed another question, witnessing no common trait between the two.

"Adoptive. He found Ahnah and I abandoned a few years ago." The admiration for the flavor of the tea faded into an expression of distant recollection.

Shui remained silent, knowing better than to press the matter.

"The war," Onawa explained quietly, attempting to answer the question she understood lingered about whenever she mentioned her origins. "Ahnah's too little to remember."

"...So he raised you." The firebender attempted to fill in the blanks, making the effort to not appear callous.

"Like his own," she smiled, her tone carrying a quality of pride and reverance. "He's taught me almost everything I know, and he guards us like we're his own." She felt no shame in explaining her history, her life as a pirate filling her with a beautiful pride.

"...How are your wounds?" Shui searched a different line of conversation to combat the sudden quiet.

"Hmm? Fine," she glanced down towards her side, the bandage wrapped tight. "Just need to not push it for awhile."

"Good," he noted, glancing aside with the hope that some topic would come to him.

"...Look," she glanced aside, her body tensing as she muttered something incoherently.

"What?" his eyebrow rose up, having not caught a word of what she said.

"I said," she turned her attention back towards him with an annoyed expression, "I'm sorry I attacked you. I thought you were going after Ahnah."

"...It's fine," he glanced behind him at the two girls playing.

"Alright, good. That's settled then." Closing her eyes, she took another sip from the cup. Haozen had taught her the importance of an apology, the greatest weapon against any grudge or disdain. Yet she could not help but feel awkward delivering such on the rare occasion that one was required.

"Goodnight," he added, having nothing further he could possible contribute to the conversation.

"Goodnight," she answered with a gentle smile, relieved to have cleared the air of any unnecessary suspicion or animosity. A full day in the village had allowed her to ease her distrust of them, recognizing their efforts to help them, rather than harm.

"Onawa!" Ahnah called excitedly, hurrying out of the tea house.

"Ahnah!" her older sister answered happily, the girl always improving her spirits no matter how far they had fallen. She kneeled towards her sister, always remaining on the same level of eye contact when they spoke.

"Jiao says there's a Demon in the valley!" she hopped up and down happily at such a fantastic tale, her new friend trailing behind her. She had always loved stories of this sort, Haozen telling them to her every night as she drifted to sleep aboard the ship.

"The Demon of War, I've heard!" Onawa smiled. Her father had mentioned him years ago when they arrived in a nearby port after seeing his wanted poster.

"Did you know he's a good demon, and he helps people?" the little girl beamed, having never heard this particular part of the story.

"Oh is he?"

"He is! Jiao, tell her!" Ahnah turned to her friend.

The three sat there beneath the stars, Onawa laughing and following the tale with fascination as the little girls took turns telling parts of it.

Shui glanced back, the spectacle shedding what remaining layers of suspicion he had held onto. With a gentle smile, he made his way back to the tea house.
Sign up to rate and review this story