Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter And The Corrections Of Past Mistakes

Reflections Of Times Gone By

by torres_arkel 9 reviews

AU. Harry Potter won the war. But the price was the world itself. Alone, nothing stops him from attempting to correct the mistakes of the past. Time Travel. SuperHarry. HHrFD.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Fleur, Harry, Hermione, James, Lily, Lupin, Sirius - Warnings: [!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2007-01-26 - Updated: 2007-08-12 - 4281 words

5Exciting
A/N: I don't own Harry Potter

Harry Potter And The Correction Of Past Mistakes

Part One - Gone Back In Time


Chapter 1 - Reflections Of Times Gone By


Ruins Of Hogwarts Castle

July 31st, 2015

8:14 p.m.


I'm 35. Should I really do this? Should I really start all over again? There are many things I'd have to do in order to have someone I can rely on again. Everyone I loved died in this stupid war. For 17 years I've been wandering the world, learning everything that I could. For 17 long years I've been alone.

The lonely figure sat overlooking what was once a beautiful castle, for now only ruins stood there. Its many towers on the ground, the entrance to the Great Hall only a pile of rubble on the floor. The Forest on the grounds burnt. The lake was only a depression on the ground; only puddles of water, and even these little places were poisonous. The very magic that once permeated the air there was non-existent.

Hogwarts is dead. The Last Battle of Hogwarts, as the books call it, destroyed everything around, he thought, a single tear rolling down his cheeks. My friends died that day; my lover died that day. In a depressing way, Voldemort really caused is own downfall. But then again, there was no way that anyone would know that my anger at that moment, the moment the Avada Kedavra connected with her body, draining those beautiful cinnamon eyes of their life, would awaken my true power.

I became the most powerful wizard of the century, and at that moment, when the Death Eaters conquered the last of my allies, I was alone. My rage at seeing my fiancée die, the last link to my parents being murdered with a silver hand through his chest, and the man I considered my brother fall with a cut on his throat made me lose control of my magic.


Flashback

Hogwarts

October 31st, 1998

7:23 p.m.


There were bodies everywhere. The once green grounds were covered in red. Blood streaked the grass and stones that once were in the towers high above the ground on the floor next to the castle. The castle itself was in flames, the building that stood for a thousand years destroyed.

Emerald eyes gazed through the battle, seeing those that were fighting on his side falling one by one. He was on his knees, blood covering the left side of his face, too tired to get up, too tired to even shout or cry when Ronald Weasley was hit by a cutting curse on the neck. Draco Malfoy laughed as his enemy fell to the floor already dead by the damage done to his neck, only to stop and fall to the ground seconds later, his head landing some 4 feet away from his body, thanks to his girlfriend of two years, Luna Lovegood. Her face streaked by tears, she didn't see the green curse coming her way, courtesy of Lucius Malfoy, a repayment for the life of his son.

He averted his eyes, but that didn't help him, because his eyes landed on the forms of those that he knew since he entered the wizarding world: Rubeus Hagrid, Minerva McGonagall, Filius Flitwick and the others teachers of Hogwarts, along with many students and many that had already graduated: Neville Longbottom, Parvati and Padma Patil, Lavender Brown, Susan Bones, Cho Chang, Katie Bell, George, Fred, Bill, Charlie, Ginny, Molly, Arthur Weasley... there were too many dead.

He then began to see those that had caused so many problems, the Death Eaters: Crabbe, Goyle, Macnair, Percy Weasley, Rudolphus Lestrange... the Light side had lost so many more people that he wanted to cry, but he couldn't, not until this was over.

He looked around once more, using this little pause from his duel against the Dark Lord. There, on his left side, he saw his last link to his parents and Sirius dueling Peter Pettigrew. The werewolf was faster, stronger and had better skills, but, ultimately, his weak point was silver and Peter had a hand made entirely of silver. He saw Peter finally manage to get close enough and strike. The silver hand went through the werewolf's chest, piercing the heart. Remus Lupin was one more deceased on the already too big list of those fighting for the Light.

"So Potter, I see you finally began to get better." said Voldemort, finally getting to his feet after being hit with a lightning to his chest.

Harry Potter finally turned back his head to look straight at Voldemort. His enemy was panting, but he was on his feet, while Harry was still on the floor.

"Well, Tom... You know how I like to play with you. We've been on this stupid fight even before I was born, and I have the power to kill you."

"Yes, the prophecy..." the Dark Lord cackled at the startled face of the Boy-Who Lived. "I've known the prophecy since the summer after our little encounter on the Ministry. My little spy on the Order of the Phoenix simply crushed whatever barriers there was on your mind preventing the use of the link between us. Since you were the only one that could defeat me I saw no need in trying to kill you, after all, I only had to avoid you to stay alive. Do you even know what is the 'power the Dark Lord knows not'?"

Harry was shocked. Voldemort knew it was up to him to end this war, that only he could kill him. Even more shocking was that the Dark Lord knew it for three years! The summer after the Ministry fiasco... I was mourning Sirius, and Dumbledore was keeping me isolated. I felt so weak those months... I was alone; my chance of a family was gone, discovering that the future of the world was at my shoulders... Yes, combining that with what Snivellus did to my mind probably allowed Tom free entrance o my mind, I probably wouldn't even notice... But why didn't he do anything in these three years? Oh well... In a way, it's better that he didn't come for me in my sixth year; I was only starting my training with Albus and the love potions that were given to me were locking my magic. But the 'power'... no, I don't have a clue what that is, or even if it exists.

"Before you even think of Love, let me stop it, because you want to kill me how? Kiss me to death?" the dark Lord sneered. "Such a useless emotion."

"That's disgusting. If I had to do that I would just kill myself." Harry said, making a face. "Do you even know what Love is Tom? You don't, so you don't know the strength of this feeling." Harry said, thinking of all the times his fiancée helped him through all the bad times, all the times that he wanted to just give up and search Voldemort for the final confrontation without destroying all the Horcruxes before... she was his strength, she was the one that kept him going.

"Why would I want to know it? It just gives the person one big weak point."

Before Harry could reply to that, he saw some movement behind Voldemort. It was Nagini, Voldemort's last Horcrux. The Diary, Marvolo Gaunt's Ring, Slytherin's Locket, Hufflepuff's Cup, Ravenclaw's Tiara, Nagini and Voldemort: seven pieces.

I have to kill her! thought Harry, but that wasn't needed because his fiancée was already moving to kill the massive snake. With a supercharged cutting curse Nagini was split in half and a green smoke lifted from the carcass to dissipate in the air. Voldemort never noticed a thing. After killing Nagini, she sent him a kiss and went to fight Antonin Dolohov; she had a personal revenge to settle against him, for the wound he inflicted upon her and the murder of her parents.

Harry grinned and turned back to Voldemort with a victorious gleam in his eyes.

"But love is also our strength, it helps us when we're on the ground, its force gives you strength when you're weak. Love is not useless; it may not be the 'power' I need to defeat you, but it will definitely help me completing my task."

"Oh please Potter... shut up about all that bullshit. You're alone Potter. All of your friends are dead. My army killed every single person on your side. Just give up. I'll even be merciful and kill you with a simple killing curse, not even torturing you for everything you made me pass all those years ago and the destruction of five of my Horcruxes."

"But that's where you're wrong Tom. I didn't destroy five of your Horcruxes... I've destroyed all of them! The one I love just killed your precious snake! If I kill you now you won't come back anymore!"

Voldemort's eyes widened at that and he turned around to see his snake split in half. A strangled cry made him avert his gaze from his familiar and see Dolohov fall with a small blade embedded on his throat. He looked to see who had killed his Death Eater and saw that Potter indeed had another ally on his side. The girl that had stood in his way to greatness almost as much as the Boy-Who-Lived had. With a roar of fury he lifted his wand and pointed it at the girl, his mouth already pronouncing the curse that ended all life.

"/AVADA KEDAVRA/!" shouted the Dark Lord.

Harry saw the curse leaving the Dark Lord's wand and felt his heart stopping. He had lost his wand a long time ago and the sword of his ancestor lay embedded on the earth a few feet from him. He knew there was no way he could stop the curse. He could only pray that she could manage to dodge it.

"HERMIONE!"

But it was too late; she was too close to Voldemort. With one last smile for Harry, she fell; the last one on Harry's side lay dead a few feet from him.

No... please don't leave me... I need you, love... I need you Hermione... were the only thoughts that crossed his mind at that moment. He didn't see the Dark Lord laughing his victory, didn't see the Death Eaters cheering the victory of their Lord... he only saw her body, he only saw that last smile on her face, he only saw the life leaving her body.

It was at that moment that he felt his heart breaking... he saw his life with the Dursleys, years of a life that knew no love, not even a friendship to help him through those dark times. Then his years at Hogwarts; the people that went to classes with him; those that shared a common room with him; those that taught him and learned with him; those that played Quidditch with him; faces upon faces passed drifted his mind, faces of people he knew were now dead in the fields next to the smoking castle, a place that became home to him. Then he saw Hermione's face, the girl that, like him, had a tough childhood; the times that she helped him; berated him for his mistakes; her concern for him; the times she suffered because he was a prat and turned his back on her; the suffering she went through because a girl she saw as a sister toyed with her emotions, making her believe she was in love with her other best friend, all because the girl had a crush on a image that she had of Harry, the image of her knight in shining armor; the battles they faced together and the challenges they overcome together; the happiness on her face the day they finally got together, the love in her eyes when he asked her to marry him... the love they felt for each other.

It was because of that feeling that he felt his magic increase to the point he knew he would be able to defeat his enemy, whatever his enemy used, because he felt that he had to avenge his loved ones, and get revenge for the life of pain and suffering he led until the point Hermione made his life better. Get revenge because the Dark Lord Voldemort destroyed his life totally, because when he used the killing curse on Hermione, he was also killing Harry's only hope to a life full of love and happiness.

Voldemort looked to the Boy-Who-Lived when he felt the magic in the place they were fighting begin to gather in one single place: Harry's body. What the hell is happening? He already lost this battle, so what's he doing? The moment Harry stood, head hung low and his eyes closed, Voldemort frowned and took a step back, not sure what was happening with the Boy-Who-Lived, but when Harry's eyes opened, was the moment Voldemort realized he had committed a mistake and would be paying with his life for it.

"You destroyed my life Thomas Marvolo Riddle; it's now the time for me to completely destroy yours!" the voice that left Harry's mouth was nothing like the one he used before. It was one of a powerful man that would get whatever he wanted, that had the confidence to issue a death threat a go along with it, whatever foe he faced, be it the most powerful Dark Lord of the century or a weak man that just followed orders and killed whatever person he was ordered to.

It was a voice that a voice that made Voldemort and all his Death Eaters realize that they would be paying for every crime they had committed.

Voldemort began to retreat, but nothing would stop Harry from fulfilling the prophecy now. So Harry attacked, and no Death Eater would be left alive when he stopped.

End Flashback

Harry didn't remember much from the battle itself; he only remembered that during the whole battle he was absorbing magic and expanding his own power, be it spells cast by the Death Eaters, even Unforgivables, to the very magic that permeated the air around Hogwarts.

That was how he became the most powerful wizard of the world. He managed to simply absorb the magic around him. And in a place like Hogwarts with an army trying to kill you there is a lot of magic in the air to absorb.

It's a good thing that after the battle I managed to stop absorbing the magic around me... Hogwarts was destroyed completely to the level that not even I can even lift the stones from the ground. Huh... the castle really was alive, when I absorbed its magic I... huh... killed the castle. That's a depressing thought, not even the castle survived my little rampage.

I passed judgment on Voldemort... sometimes I think that was the most stupid thing I ever did... other times I think that was a blessing since that was the act that made me travel the world to learn new types of magic. On my travels I learned to travel through time at will... many times I wanted to go to various times of my life... third year to catch Pettigrew... fourth year to save Cedric... Fifth year to save Sirius... Sixth year to save Dumbledore... to the battle to stop the deaths of everyone I knew... I even thought to go back in time and get my younger self from the Dursleys... but all those situations left me with one drawback: I wouldn't enjoy the changes I made.

The little time-travel I made with Hermione back in our third year made me realize that. There were two 'Harrys' there. I would make life better for my younger self but I would still be alone.

For 17 years I traveled learning new things. For 5 I've been looking to the answer to my problem. How would I manage to go back and enjoy the results of all my efforts?

Now that I have the answer, I can look back and say that the Judgment of Voldemort was the best thing I did that day...


Flashback

Hogwarts

October 31st, 1998

8:39 p.m.


Voldemort looked around and couldn't believe what he was seeing. In less than one hour his whole army was almost destroyed. What started a huge success was fast becoming a huge failure. His enemy was almost destroyed, every person except one was on the floor, dead, and the one that was still alive was on his knees with no weapon and no energy whatsoever to fight back. Now that single person was walking around killing every one of his Death Eaters with no hesitation. And what was worse, he walking around the battlefield, not even bothering to dodge or defend himself against all the curses thrown his way! And he was killing his servants without using magic!

Paralyzed, the Dark Lord could do nothing against his enemy except watch as his last Death Eater fell to the blade Potter was carrying, the thrice damned Sword of Gryffindor. Then Potter began to walk in his direction like he was simply walking in the park. Only when Potter stopped a few feet in front of him that he started acting. He started casting every curse he knew on the Boy-Who-Lived using all the magic he had in his body. He was so close to winning, he couldn't be defeated now!

"AVADA KEDAVRA! CRUCIO! SECTUMSEMPRA! SOULIUM DEVASTUS!FIERNUS MANTEL! MORS CRUENTUS! AETERNUS CONDOLEO!" the Dark Lord sent curse after curse towards Harry, who didn't even flinch.

Harry stood there, head cocked to one side, just watching Voldemort sending his spells after him. He wanted to laugh. The Dark Lord still hadn't figured out that he was absorbing the spells or he wouldn't be using such strong magic at him.

"I'm absorbing the magic you're throwing at me, Tom."

Voldemort stopped casting when Harry spoke. When he finally understood what Harry said, he knew it was the end. There was nothing more he could do against Harry, and he knew it. The Blade of Slytherin was broken on the first fight between the two, so he couldn't duel with Harry with blades.

Harry looked one last time at his nemesis and decided that the duel, the war should end at that moment. He had suffered too much on that day and he wanted to rest a little.

"It's time to die Thomas. Don't worry; I'll make you suffer for every crime you ever committed. You will have the honor of receiving the only spell I'm going to cast on this battle. It'll make all your magic and knowledge be transferred to me, while obliterating the small fraction of a soul you have. It's not going to hurt, it will only make the Cruciatus Curse seem like you're receiving a massage. I really hope you enjoy your last seconds. Aetherius Arbitrium!"

Voldemort could only look as the golden ball of light approached him. He was dead, he knew it; there was no point in fighting. When the spell connected, he wished he had done something, the pain was unbearable. He never noticed a ball of black light leaving his body; he never noticed Harry waving his wand, making the black ball turn purple, purifying the magic; he never noticed the ball of magic entering Harry's body. The only thing he noticed was that the pain was getting stronger and stronger.

After absorbing his enemy's magic, Harry watched as the pain increased and Voldemort began to scream. After seconds screaming, his throat didn't manage to make the sounds anymore. The Dark Lord began making gurgling noises as his throat torn apart and began bleeding.

After 15 minutes under the judgment spell, with no magic in his body and his mind totally blank, Thomas Marvolo Riddle aka Voldemort was dead.

End Flashback

Harry stood and went to the cemetery on the front of the Entrance Hall. What was once a pristine school with many children running around was now only debris and a cemetery to honor those that died on the Last Battle. Hundreds of tombs filled the grounds.

He stopped in front of one that was possibly one of the most beautiful in there. It was an angel made of white marble with the wings outstretched. The angel was on his knees, with his head bent a little forward, eyes closed with a lonely tear running from the right eye stopping a little away from the mouth. His hands were together in front of him, giving an impression that the angel was praying.

Below the statue's knees, a golden plaque with sapphires making the inscription:

Hermione Jane Granger

19/09/1979 - 31/10/1998

My love

My strength to overcome the Darkness


Falling to his knees and placing a hand over the name, he began to speak:

"It's been 17 years, my love. Long years in which I've seek the information that would possibly bring us together again." He stopped to wipe tears that were flowing doing his cheeks. "I'll go back in time Mione... we'll be together again, I promise. I'm sorry for taking all this time to come here, but I was taking care of everything that was happening and all the studying I had to do to be able to bring us together took all of my time away, so that was why I didn't come here last year, love. I guess I'll tell you what I've been doing these last two years..."

And he talked, explaining all the procedures he had to take care before going back. His research on the Greek spell that would allow two souls to be combined into one; the trip to Gringotts to empty all his vaults: Potter, Black, Gryffindor (his ancestor), Slytherin (he was the magical heir since the last heir of Slytherin was dead and he had absorbed Voldemort's magical core) and the part that was his of the Dumbledore Family vault (as per instructions on Albus' will). All the books were put on a special trunk that the Weasley twins had made when Hermione requested a trunk that enabled all the books on the Hogwarts' Library; the twins ended up making a trunk that was really gigantic inside. All the books of Hogwarts were there since a week before the Last Battle and now all the books stored on the vaults were in there as well.

All his properties were sold to the bank and all the Galleons, Sickles and Knuts were put in a special trunk made by the Goblins for cases that the Family decided to empty their vaults. The rings of the Heads of Family were given to him: a gold one with markings in the format of a Lion of the Potter Family; a silver one with a Grim of the Black Family; a ring made of pure diamond encrusted with rubies forming a Griffin; and one of pure diamond with emeralds forming a Basilisk.

With the trunks shrunk and all the rings under a Fidelius charm to hide the fact that he was the Head of four Families, he made his way towards the Ruins of Hogwarts, intent on saying Goodbye before going to the past to correct all mistakes that happened in his world.

"And now here I am, about to make something you always told me that it shouldn't be done, because the consequences would be too great to even consider. But with the world practically destroyed, I won't be doing that much damage anyway."

That was certain; Voldemort's influence went far over the world. There were Death Eaters and destruction on every continent, war was fought over the entire world. Muggles were fighting an invisible war to them; many Heads of State being controlled by the Imperious gave orders to their country's army to launch nuclear weapon on countries that were fighting Voldemort. The Second War of Voldemort became the Third World War.

"Most of Europe is destroyed, Asia was wiped out entirely, the other continents are on the same state, and nothing will ever be like before. Those are the reasons why I don't feel bad to alter to time lines. If the world can have a little more peace I'll do whatever it takes me to do."

He looked at the castle and more tears feel on the ground.

"I want to have children with you, and I want them to go running the halls of this castle without having to worry about the war... So I'll see you soon my love, and I'll make my past, our new future brighter for everyone. Goodbye, Mione... Goodbye, love..."

After that he stood, wiped his face clean of tears and Apparated to a island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. He knew that place would be empty of life, so the destruction he would cause letting his magic loose wouldn't kill anyone.

On the island, he closed his eyes and began to concentrate. After a few seconds the ground began to tremble. The trees caught fire and then turned to dust. His hands curled into fists and he let his magic go free. Suddenly there was a light so intense it made the night turn into day.

When the light disappeared, there was nothing on the island. For a moment, nothing was heard; the wind stopped, the water froze; and then an explosion so big the planet itself shook. When the flames disappeared, nothing could be seen except the ocean for miles and miles.

A/N: My first history, I'll try to update quickly but I don't guarantee anything. Flames are welcomed, after all they can only make my writing better.
Sign up to rate and review this story