Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

Shadows

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

Fielding and Tru come face to face on her terms. Please R&R

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-02-02 - Updated: 2007-02-02 - 1455 words - Complete

0Unrated
You're keeping in step... in the light
got your chin held high and you feel just fine
´cause you do... what you're told
but inside your heart it is black, it is hollow and it's cold

NIN - The hand that feeds


"He didn't listen." Charlie said quietly as the Father helped her to get ready for her day at nursery. Tru had left a list and some of the women were eager to help out. She took her bag and her coat was put on. "You know that don't you?"

Charlie sounded very adult for her age and the father wondered what was really going on. Charlie very rarely spoke either unless it was of Tru. She lifted her arms up for a hug and then ran to meet the lady who had offered to take her to school.

"I really want sweets today." Charlie told her. "I like lolli's."

"Well not too many. You don't want to ruin your teeth."

"I can grow more!" She giggled and skipped out towards the car.

In the meantime the group had moved Tru into a cell and had checked the area over for ways to escape. He heard mention of a strange device or few and then a strange resounding buzzing noise about the cell. It sounded like some electric set up and then he felt the ground around him reverberating before Fielding stepped back in to the room with him and began to pick the solid gel from his body.

"You're quite an attractive man Hellion." She complimented as she pulled the gel from his arms and ran them over the well developed muscles. "Let's try this again and before you get excited, the noise is a machine that will inhibit you from moving through the walls."

"You're quite the charmer." He said sarcastically back to her. "You used to dealing with things like me?"

"Quite." She removed his hat and looked into his eyes. He was uncomfortable with that, she could see. "Where is she?"

"If I agree to the tests will you leave her alone?"

"Why are you protecting her?"

"She's my child now. I protect her as my own." He said simply. He stated it because it was now true. Who else would look after Charlie? He didn't think her mother would have wanted her in care.

"You could be a free man otherwise." She ran her hand over the white collar. "Free to do what you wished."

"Are you going to let her go if you get me tested?" He snapped at her. She watched the anger ripple through steel blue eyes. Watched the hatred burning in his soul.

"Perhaps." She said running her hand over his collar once more. "Testing is not the aim entirely though I shall admit." She pulled her phone out of her pocket. "And really Hellion, you are in no place to bargain. We will find that little girl."

"She's not going to be of use to Iteration whatever-you-are." He said impatiently and then he flexed his muscles. He wasn't able to get free with the agents about and she knew it. It irked him. He looked around the cell and then closed his eyes, listening to the sounds outside of her.

She slapped him around the face. He looked up and his eyes flashed with anger at her. The red stinging mark on his face because he wasn't paying sole attention to her. Well he was going to she decided. She was not his interest anyway. He looked at her and stepped closer in to her personal space. Invasion.

His hand caught hers and he pushed her to the wall. Fielding's heart began to race and she heard her people moving. Would he kill her? The child, he wouldn't risk the child surely? She watched him with sparkling eyes of interest. The dance was about to begin.

"The girl remains out of this." He snarled at her.

"She's not even yours." She said coolly to him. She slipped her hand to her pocket and pulled out a syringe. She jabbed it in his arm, the needle snapped. She looked up at him suddenly more afraid. The sedative was not going to put him down.

"Armour." He muttered lifting her up by her shirt. "Once you attack my body defends itself. Tricks only work once." He told her and threw her at the wall. "The Vatican fund me because provided I am kept under a degree of control I am not dangerous. No one wants to find out what I am capable of. Me least of all." He span to face her as she tried to pick herself up. Around him the shadows began to form around him again. He looked at the cell and the walls reverberating.

"You don't even know what you are!" She screamed and took the steps towards him. "You are not safe! That girl... you could have done something to her as well. She has to be tested."

"She's five years old. She is a child who needs to go to play with her friends, graze her knees and do what children do." He told her keeping his distance. He couldn't trust his anger. He couldn't trust himself and he knew it. The woman sparked complete anger in him just being in the same room as her.

"You could have infected her." She stammered finally. "She was a recipient on the database. One of her parents had a DNA stutter. She can catch abilities from your kind."

"What exactly is my kind Ms Fielding?" He asked her and wondering how they had that information when as far as he was concerned Charlie was just an unfortunate orphan.

"Haven't you wondered why people seem to follow you, trouble in all its guises finds its way to you? The child... the deaths of those people." She took a breath. "All of it, you and your kind are watched from birth."

"What is my..." He started but she stopped him and knocked on the door.

"That's what we want to know. You're the first one we've caught that wasn't already dead. We'll find that girl too." She stepped out and shut the door shouting her last words. "Eventually we will."

Tru finally calmed down once she was gone. He was so angry about her and the fact he'd walked in to the station. He held out his hands, watched the shadows crawling around him. Their cloying embrace reminding him of the reason he had left The Vatican. He had hated walking the catacombs alone. He had hated the sense of being abnormal. He had wanted to know the truth once. He had buried that thought many years ago.

Now he wanted the child to be well and for him to protect her. He had not done that well there either. He closed his eyes and thought of his first day out of The Vatican and the city. He had gone to a small bar, it was a family business. He had no concept of the word family and its meanings. He had settled at the bar, drank a whisky, his first ever. He had asked to buy the car outside. To be taught to drive it. A young lady had liked him, he had smiled warmly. Her father threatened him with a shotgun.

He'd left Italy and headed to London and he hid in the first church he found. It had taken only two days for the priest to find him. The priest there had some sense that he needed to experience the world. He gave him the keys to a car from the old stores and had taught him to drive. Tru sighed, five years ago and he was in the sun with the priest, learning to fix the old thing up. It had just been sat there for so long and he had smiled at the father eager to be learning.

The single shot had killed him. Stained the car, stained Tru's face as it spattered over him. Tru had been so afraid of his own inability to save him and then another priest had ushered him in to the Cathedral. Hid him away. He would be accused, he was not normal.

Tru slid to the rooms' floor and leant his head on the wall as he remembered his past.

"Pace Voua, morti nostri." He whispered in the dark and thought of that priest. He'd given him a sense that he could be human. He had not shunned him to the recesses of a dungeon. He smiled as the thought of him. He would free himself and Charlie. She'd enjoy Disneyland. That was normal. "Pace Voua." He muttered again and closed his eyes.
Sign up to rate and review this story