Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

Creeping Mist

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

The inevitable time comes. Shanemah makes a move and Charlie is captured. Tru begins to question his faith. Please R&R - Language warning

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama - Published: 2007-02-09 - Updated: 2007-02-09 - 963 words - Complete

0Unrated
I've grown to see the philosophy of my own mistrust,
We all have our faults, mine come in waves that you turn to rust,
Some of us laugh, some of us cry,
Some of us smoke, some of us lie,
But it's all just the way that we cope with our lives.

Starsailor


A distant roll of the trains under the station was the only thing he heard for some days. Occasionally Fielding would open the door and shove something to eat in to him and water but she had decided to stop speaking with him. Tru had taken to hours of prayer and making sure he started when she arrived. It irritated her and satisfied him.

The trains he figured ran every ten to twenty minutes going by his watch. It became the source of his only entertainment. To try and count down the train and to take his mind from the incessant humming noise generated by whatever technology Iterations had.

The underground tube station was a lonely, harsh and cold place. The cell was dim, lifeless and the noise continued to fill him and his bones. He wondered what the smell was in the room with him and pulled his coat closer around his body. He guessed the smells came from his body. He flipped his tail angrily over the dust on the floor, fat lot of good he was to anyone.

He took out the small crucifix around his neck and watched it dangle in what light he could make out. He wanted to be free of this curse but suicide would send him to hell and so he resolved to wait until his maker called for him anyway.

---------------------------------------------

In the meantime Fielding had sent her subordinates out to watch for the child. Evans and James were fed up of sitting outside the roads where the cars trawled slowly past and anonymous men congregated daily to stare at the Cathedral and enter the house of God.

"What a pile of shite." Agent Evans said with a yawn from the post they had taken on the square at the front of the Cathedral. "I hate all this theological bollocks."

"I hate your language." Agent James stated. "She wants this place watching and we watch."

The rain started and Evans made another curse about the weather. The lads moved towards a cover and then spotted the nun and child heading towards the main entrance. Evans took several pictures and looked at James. Perhaps they had what was needed after days of waiting. James hated the English weather as much as Evans only he never bothered to complain. Unlike Evans he signed up because he wanted too. Evans had signed up to avoid too many questions about his previous criminal activities.

The FBI agents were not really FBI at all either. The FBI had a secret branch and no one spoke of it. They were the supernatural squad and no one liked it. Too much like the X-Files was the general comment only they were more like the opposition to the X-Files. They didn't chase vampires or demons they found the scientific anomalies and found the reasons behind them. It was their work that could find the secret behind the enhancements of DNA. There was no such thing as supernatural or religious gods, no there was only untested science.

"Oh for Gods sake can we go now?" Evans yawned as he pocketed the digital camera.

"Yes and stop blaspheming even if we're working for the scientists I reckon it'd pay not to go around offending what might be up there." He told him.

Shanemah brought the deep coloured green coat about his shoulders, the long hair slowly being drenched in the rain as he closed his eyes. The girl was with the nun but he could not afford to leave her there. He concentrated and his visage changed.

"Excuse me!" A younger Nun ran towards Charlie and the older lady with her. Charlie held on to the older woman and looked up. "I'm sorry Charlie's late for her evening tea with the Father. I said I would fetch her."

"Oh I didn't realise we were late." The nun said looking to the younger lady and failing to recognise her.

"We're not." Charlie said defiantly. "I want to go play." She told the older woman.

"It's too late for that. Charlie learn to play nicely with me instead." Shanemah said the visage dropping. The older woman locked eyes with him and he nodded his head only once before she fainted. "Time to see your Daddy." He said scooping her up in his arms. "You want to help him don't you?"

"Help!" Charlie screamed as she had been told as Shanemah ran out of the gates. He ran in to an alley with people watching as he dove into the shadows. He could have done with Tru then to help them go unnoticed but instead they dropped into a grate and into the sewers. "Get off!"

"I can't do that little lady." He sighed and carried her onwards. "Iterations would shoot me too if I failed to deliver." He kept a tight hold on her and proceeded to the entry point of the abandoned station. "Fielding wants you. I tried to warn you both." He said even though Charlie really didn't understand.

As the darkness enveloped them Tru grasped the crucifix in his hand and squeezed. He was sure he heard a child shouting. He opened his hand, the metal had dug in, blood oozed out. He heard Charlie scream.

"You really couldn't help me after all. I guess I am damned." He said standing up and throwing the trinket to the corner. "But you could have saved her." He whispered to the cold darkness.
Sign up to rate and review this story