Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

Calm before the storm

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

Tru and Charlie escape thanks to the aid of Shanemah but at what cost and for how long?

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-12 - Updated: 2007-02-12 - 986 words - Complete

0Unrated
Habitavit
Dormivit
Caelo missus rex
Poena terrae motus
Error humanus

Divinity (FF7 Advent Children)


Fielding all but ran out to the front of the abandoned building as the girls muffled screaming came to her ears. One step forwards, one step to see that Shanemah held the prize. One angrier step as she began to wonder why he of all people had become involved.

The overhead roofing held stagnant pregnant drops of murky condensation that dripped in their own rhythm. The dirty crammed environment starving natural light brought the girl to an abrupt silence.

"You..." Her words slowly fell from her mouth. Exasperation evident in that one word. "They told me you were not involved this time."

Shanemah held Charlie who had stopped struggling. The blond bob and straight face made her look stern as well but Charlie was more intent in looking into her eyes. She was subdued and then she whimpered slowly and fat tears fell down her face.

"Presenting Charlie." He said and let her go. Charlie looked at Shanemah and then to Fielding. Tru had spoken to Shanemah before and so she stayed next to him.

Fielding moved forwards, grabbed the child's hand and began to drag her towards a cell. She had them both she just needed the extraction now. It was time to go back to the US and to get out of drab England.

"Rain." Charlie said quietly. "It's only right if it rains."

Fielding looked at the girl who had turned her attention to the watery drops about to fall from a nearby pipe. The girl looked more interested in that than her current plight. Shanemah leant beside her and smiled.

"What is right when it rains?" He asked her with a soft smooth voice. Charlie looked to him, extended her small hand to hold his tunic.

"You already know." She told him and he moved closer. "Why did you scare me?"

"I did not mean too." He said and moved towards the station. Charlie followed him and Fielding turned her gun to Shanemah. The other agents jumped to action as he moved in. He picked up Charlie and looked at the surroundings. "I thought you would want to see your daddy."

Charlie nodded enthusiastically. She did want to see Tru and as they got to the door Tru heard her. His heart lifted at the sound of the little girl but not at the idea of her being caught. He retrieved his crucifix and the door slowly opened. Charlie gave a squeal of delight and moved towards him from Shanemah's arms.

"What the hell are you doing?" Fielding demanded as Tru gathered the young girl in his arms.

"Undoing your work." Shanemah smiled and then appeared behind Fielding. The blow to her neck stunned her out of action as Tru ran out and towards the first turn off. "Get out I'll find you later!" Shanemah announced as the Agents moved towards him.

Shanemah's body was soon covered in the surrounding man trying to disable him. Tru caught a glimpse of the man in the mass and smiled. He was an expert fighter and Tru was torn because helping him might well be in his nature but Charlie had to come first.

He dived around the corner as bullets from Fielding's gun hit the pipes nearby. She had regained her composure and was heading back after her targets. Tru pulled Charlie closer and leapt onto a pipe above. There was no chance to be quiet in the dead halls but he could put distance between them.

The heavy boots thudded along the pipes as Charlie held on to him. He darted over to the crossroads of the underground and began to search for an over head grate. Charlie tugged his shirt collar and he looked up to where she pointed just as Fielding loaded another clip and turned into the alley.

"Ready?" Tru whispered to the little lady who nodded.

Fielding blindly fired in their direction and when she looked there was no sign of either Tru or Charlie. There was a small puddle of blood on the ground where she had shot. One of them was injured. One of them was now slowed down.

Tru surfaced and still holding on to Charlie looked around. They had arrived in an old street of Whitechapel. It was further away than he thought but he had no concept of distance underground. Charlie was screaming, there was blood from one of them but he couldn't tell which one. He kept hold of her, darted into what looked to be abandoned buildings leaving a trail of blood.

Inside the building he finally took a breath, realised that the pain in his arm meant the shot was his. He breathed a sigh of relief, fell to the ground and set Charlie down before taking in gasping breaths. Charlie looked that blood. It was red, dark red and vibrant. Tru's tail was crushed under one of his boots but he hadn't noticed in his shock. She moved to him and pushed his foot until it was free and then curled in around it.

"Daddy what that?" She asked as the dark cherry liquid ran down his arm. He put his hand to it and pulled it away. The blood was sticky and foul. "You need a plaster." She said helpfully.

"I guess I do baby." He smiled and drew her closer. "Let's get one huh?"

He was fatigued but he carried her because putting her down might mean loosing her again. They wound through the warehouses and into the first church they found. The building was tucked away down a narrow alley and had a small congregation which had not met at the point he stumbled in. The church was cold, the doors creaked open and Tru slid inside with Charlie carefully held in his arms.

He set her down and collapsed down the aisle.
Sign up to rate and review this story