Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Keepsake

Chapter VII

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Generations prior to Souzen's War, a teenage girl finds herself on her first assignment as the Avatar.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-02-02 - Updated: 2007-02-03 - 896 words

0Unrated
Keepsake

Chapter VII



Kyoshi stared over the side, looking up toward the stars. She thought of Si Shen, and that which he had said to her.

"...Have always been friends." The thick voice passed through her memories once more.

She was the Avatar, the one who would ensure the balance between the mortal and spirit world. In every life she had lived magnificent adventures, encountering fantastic spirits and wonderful people.

In each of these lives, she had gained treacherous enemies, villains who were driven by greed and power, noble lords and goodhearted warriors.

And surely, she had accumulated friends.

Even since she had set out to learn the other bending disciplines, she had made some. Though her mentors, she regarded both Sifu Cheng and Sifu Goba as such.

She glanced toward Tashi, his frame still laden with disappointment as he guided Pema through the night.

This airbender, who told her wonderful stories of the South Pole and his travels, who thirsted for adventure, had regarded her kindly without fear of her role as Avatar. Surely he was a friend as well.

And sure enough, there would be many friends to come.

Smiling softly, she rose quietly before stepping toward him. Setting herself down beside him, she looked out toward the horizon.

"...You alright?" he asked quietly.

Nodding, she offered a smile. "Do you think you'll travel again soon?"

"Yeah. I'll spend a couple days at the temple, but after that I'll probably take off again."

"Sifu Goba once said that he suspects you'll never tire of wandering."

"Probably not," he grinned.

"When I've finished training...I suspect I'll travel often. Do you think we'll meet again?"

"Yeah, probably," he nodded. "I'd like that, at least."

"...Me too," she nodded.

"I mean, I'll probably have to track you down if I ever get a spirit mad at me for something," the airbender shrugged.

Kyoshi laughed, smiling as she pet Pema gently.

"...I enjoyed those stories from the South Pole. Do you know any more?"

"Tons," Tashi grinned. With that he entered into another tale, pointing to the stars they concerned.

The cool night air washed over them as the air bison moved gently forward, the moon high in the distance.

Days later Kyoshi stood beside Goba, her body moving lightly as she practied each of the motions he had demonstrated earlier.

"Excellent, excellent! Do you feel the difference now that your body is adjusting to the style?" Goba smiled, his hands moving with a remarkable fluidity.

"Yes," she smiled, her body moving with a more graceful manner than the other bending disciplines had called for.

"Very good! Now...Ah, Tashi!" he smiled toward his old pupil, nodding toward Kyoshi to permit her to take a break from their session.

"Goba, Kyoshi! Wanted to see you both before Pema and I headed out." He smiled, his eyes still full of wanderlust.

"Leaving so soon?" his mentor laughed.

"Yeah; want to head back out to the Earth Kingom. I'll make sure that Si Shen's shrine's been taken care of while I'm there," he nodded to Kyoshi.

"Thank you Tashi," she smiled. "I hope that we meet again soon."

"Me too," he returned the smile. "But 'til then, I made you this!" He offered a small pouch, handing it to her with a quick bow of the head.

"What is it...?"

"Eh, you'll see when you open it." He shrugged, smirking slightly. "Until next time," he nodded slowly to her.

"Until next time," she nodded in return.

"I wish you well, Tashi." The parting inspired a look of sadness in the old monk's eyes. He gently laid a hand upon his old student's shoulder. "Please be sure to eat, and to rest well when you can afford it."

"I will, old man." The airbender smiled softly, bowing deeply. "Kyoshi, good luck in your training."

"Thank you," she bowed her head.

"Until next time," Goba smiled.

"Next time," Tashi grinned, turning toward Pema.

The Avatar and the old monk watched as he leapt onto the beast, snapping at the reins before tearing through the sky.

"What is it he handed to you?" he glanced toward the pouch.

Kyoshi looked curiously towards the cloth, untying the strings binding it. It spread over her palm, revealing the contents.

A crudely sewn cloth doll rest in the palm of her hand, resembling the shape of an airbender. Upon further inspection she realized it to be a small version of Tashi. Beneath it was a scrap of parchment, a note written upon it.

"Kyoshi: Sorry I'm bad at sewing, never tried it before. It's not as good as the other one, but I hope it'll keep you company until we meet again. Take care and good luck in your training. Tashi."

She smiled softly at the doll, tucking it under the cloth of her belt to keep it safe until she could secure a better place for it.

"He is a good friend," Goba smiled with gentle pride, nodding slowly.

"Yes," Kyoshi smiled, looking up to the sky. "He is."

The two returned to their lesson happily, Avatar Kyoshi following each of his movement with careful focus as she prepared for the fantastic tasks that lie before her. Behind them lay the blue horizon, their forms moving with a gentle precision against it.

The wind brushed gently against her skin, her hair twitching the breeze.
Sign up to rate and review this story