Categories > TV > Power Rangers > Five Kisses Better Left Unshared

Missed Chances

by Dagmar 0 reviews

Another Kiss that shouldn't have happened -- not when it's too late

Category: Power Rangers - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jason - Published: 2007-02-18 - Updated: 2007-02-18 - 1483 words

1Ambiance
Disclaimer: Trust me, they're not mine; if they were, we'd never have had other teams past Zeo ...
Note: This chapter is a long way from the raciness of the first; hope you aren't disappointed. The quote at the end is by John Greenleaf Whittier. Enjoy anyway, and please pass by the feedback box on your way out?



Five Kisses Better Left Unshared
Chapter 2: Missed Chances


The Kiss That Never Was

The French call it /'Le coup de foudre'/; Lightning Strike. Jason had never understood exactly why - not until the day he set foot into the Command Center once more and his first curious look-around brought him face to face with the girl/woman he'd dreamed about unknowingly all his life. Only later he realized that he'd been well and truly hit.

*

Five minutes after they met, she kissed him.

"I feel like I already know you," she said softly, blue eyes glowing. "Tommy and Billy have told me so much about you!"

Jason felt himself actually blushing.

"Um, all good, I hope," he mumbled.

"Oh yes," she laughed, and kissed him again, her rosy lips brushing his other cheek like butterfly wings. "Welcome!"

He knew he lost his heart just a little at the warm greeting, but there were more urgent things to deal with than deepening his acquaintance with the lovely blonde. In the days that followed, as he got to know her, he would have had to be blind not to see how much she cared about his best friend, so Jason stepped back - both figuratively and literally. He wouldn't risk causing her any pain, and he knew how much Tommy needed someone after Kim sent him that letter. Jason didn't think they were all that well suited to each other, but it wasn't his place to interfere. Maybe he'd have his chance later, when they realized that there had to be someone else out there who'd love them the way they deserved to be loved. In the meantime, it helped that soon after he met another blonde who took his mind off the slender dancer ... even if he unobtrusively went out of his way as much as he could to please her.

*

When Prince Gasket abducted Tommy and brainwashed him, Jason was there for her - giving what support he could even when a part of him wanted nothing more than fold his arms around her and take first place in her affections. But he couldn't do that - not to her, and not to Tommy. For now, it was enough that she started to think of him as a friend and confidant in his own right, not just a teammate and the best friend of the boy she was in love with. And of course, once the two started dating it was too late for more.

He was there when she gave up her powers; he waved good-bye at the airport when she left for London and contented himself with being a friend. He went on with his life, keeping in touch and keeping his distance, hoping that one day, maybe, he'd have a chance.

*

College came and went; there were letters, pictures and emails, but reunions were few and far between - and never was there a time that seemed right to speak of his hopes and dreams. One day, Tommy drifted out of the picture and Jason was once again called upon to lend his ear and shoulder to Tommy and her. He did it gladly, content in the knowledge that now his chance might come, that maybe now ... but he was busy building a career, she was touring with a ballet company, and yet another opportunity was lost.

There were other women; he was no saint, and he got lonely at times. Waiting wasn't easy when years and distance conspired to keep him from his dream. So he sought company where he could find it, but never was there the instant connection he'd felt on that long-ago day in a secret building high in the mountains. But his heart stayed untouched, for he still remembered that lightning bolt - after all, it hit him anew every time he received a message from her or when she came all-too-briefly into his arms on the rare occasions they did meet.

*


"You may now kiss the bride."

Jason joined the rest of the wedding guests in applauding as the beautiful woman at the altar lifted her glowing face to her brand-new husband. Briefly, his eyes sought out Tommy to see what his best friend was feeling - was he at all sorry that he'd let her slip from his life? Apparently not; his expression was full of delight as his former girlfriend melted against the man she'd chosen.

"They look good together, don't they?" Tommy murmured, watching the couple descend the altar steps.

"Yeah. Brandon's a good guy," Jason replied quietly as he took his place among his friends, smiling like the rest of them even if his heart wasn't in it. And maybe that was the worst of all - that she had chosen a good - the right man. Someone who made her happy, who filled her life with joy and who could give her everything Jason had ever hoped he could.

But he'd missed that boat a long time ago. As he followed the beaming couple out of the church, he cast his mind back over the years he'd known her. Was anyone beside him even aware that today was the tenth anniversary of the day they'd first met - when she'd given him that first kiss? Probably not. It had only been a quick, friendly peck on the cheek, after all. Some would even say it was meaningless, just an affectionate greeting for someone she'd known through tales and stories and was prepared to like for someone else's sake. It didn't matter that for Jason it had become so much more ... a memory to be cherished forever.

Where did I go wrong? When should I have spoken up, made my move?

Certainly not when she was so obviously in love with his best friend. Under no circumstances when Tommy was missing and they both were sick with worry. Not when she left for Europe ... and when she finally came back, there had always been something else that killed chance after chance.

*

Jason sighed to himself and pasted a smile on his face as Kat gathered her friends around her for her farewells as she prepared to go on her honeymoon. Her husband looked on indulgently as she kissed one after the other, first Kim, Aisha and Tanya, then the men. She shared a joke with Rocky as he bussed her heartily; Adam blushed, but nonetheless collected his kiss with a pleased smile. Tommy hugged her and kissed her hand with a look that spoke volumes, calling to mind what once had been between them without regret or rancor.

At last, Kat stepped up to Jason and gazed deeply into his shadowed eyes.

"Congratulations," he murmured through suddenly stiff lips.

"Thank you," she replied, lifting a slender hand to his face. He captured her wrist and dared to kiss her palm, sensing more than hearing her gasp. His heart lurched painfully.

"Kat ..."

"It's been ten years today, Jason," she interrupted him, whispering so softly that no-one but he could hear. "At the time, I couldn't see ... but there were times, later, when I'd hoped you felt something for me besides friendship ... I was waiting for you, only you never came, and I gave up hope eventually."

Oh God.

"And now you've found Brandon."

"Yes."

"You'll be happy with him - won't you?"

"Yes." The soft, accented voice rang with conviction.

"Then I'm happy for you," he said quietly, accepting defeat. If he'd only known ... but he hadn't, or perhaps hadn't wanted to know, and would have to live with the consequences. Closing his eyes briefly, he forced another smile and bent forward, touching his lips fleetingly to hers. It was but a pale shadow of the kiss he'd dreamed of, the kiss he'd longed to give her since the day they'd met, but it was all he had a right to now. The lightning struck him one last time, burning his dreams to ashes as he felt the lack of response. With a small, almost imperceptible sigh, he released her and stepped back. "Good-bye, Kat."

"Good-bye, Jason."

With that, she left him to go to the man who had taken the place he now knew could have been his if he hadn't missed his chance - not once, but several times.

As Jason watched her walk away and out of his life for good, a quote he'd stumbled upon in one of his college classes came to his mind, and he had to admit it as truth, however bitter: 'Of all the sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been!'

Sign up to rate and review this story