Categories > TV > Stargate: SG-1 > Fools' Gold

Default Chapter

by SithJesto 0 reviews

They were friends, but more importantly, they were brothers in everything except in blood. However, when the soldier and the scientist clashed again and again, their friendship became unbalanced. O...

Category: Stargate: SG-1 - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-02-23 - Updated: 2007-02-23 - 1395 words

0Unrated
Title: Fools' Gold

Beta: acelly31, LostLenore,

Summary: They were friends, but more importantly, they were brothers in everything except in blood. However, when the soldier and the scientist clashed again and again, their friendship became unbalanced. One went off-world and one to hunt the past, the remaining members of the team went to support each one.

A/N: Fool's Gold can be one of three minerals; the most common mineral mistaken for gold is pyrite, chalcopyrite may also appear gold-like, and weathered biotite mica can mimic flake gold. It could mean also your hunt for something you think is important and in the end you find out it was not as important as you thought.

------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

The iris opened and SG-1 dashed through the gate, arrows flew around them into the Gate room before the iris closed behind them, protecting the team and the personnel in the room. General Hammond looked closely at his premier team's members looking for injuries but there were none. He sighed in relief, he could not count how many times he saw them bleed, suffer or even die before his eyes. He felt so tired sometimes. He was just about to walk down to them when the first noise of shouts reached him, it was Jackson and O'Neill, his two wayward sons. The two younger men were like water and fire, they fought with each other like cats and dogs. He'd heard them fight enough times to know this fight was more serious than the others had been. He could not make out their exact words, but from their tones and emphases, he could clearly hear that Jack was mad for some reason and Daniel just being plain stubborn. It was not a good sign. He never heard O'Neill use that tone with others than NID officers or Goa'uld's.

He hurried his steps. His eyes widened at the scene unfolding before him, Sam and Daniel stood in one corner, Daniel yelling at the top of his lungs while Sam supportively squeezed his arm and tried to calm him down, her blue eyes flashing angrily at O'Neill. While Teal'c stood over O'Neill to keep him back if Jack wanted to jump and hit the archeologist. It was not clear to the General who Teal'c wanted to protect or whose side he was on in this argument, but when the Jaffa eyes met with his, George's breath caught in his throat. He could see both gratitude and pleading; George did not dare think too deeply as to what could cause the big Jaffa to look to him for help. He turned his full attention toward the fighting pair.

"It wasn't needed, I could have talked it out."

"You cannot solve everything by talking."

"Not everything, but this could have been."

"You don't know that."

"You didn't even let me try."

"They didn't want to talk, they fired at us, it was a hostile act."

"Of course, Colonel Skeptic spoke, how is it you always come up with a worst case scenario?"

"I practice."

"That's it, you always do that."

"Do what!"

"Directly disagree with my judgment, the scientific point of view because you are too dense to understand it..."

"Fuck you Jackson. It was my call and when I say jump you ask how high."

"No, you forget I am a scientist, civilian. You can't just order me around; I am not under your pitiful command."

"That's where you are wrong Jackson, you're on a field team, my team. Mine, you understand, you do what I say and when I say it. It does not matter if you agree with my command, or not."

"I never trusted in your military 'shoot first ask questions later' stupidity."

"It's what's kept this team alive so long."

"Says the man who can't understand what a twelve year old could." Daniel winced as he snapped closed his mouth. The room was silent like a grave, everyone was looking at Daniel in disbelief, except Jack whose face was emotionless, his eyes void of any feelings. His hard cold gaze met with Daniel's and he spoke in a calm, low, emotionless voice that carried throughout the silent halls so everyone could clearly hear what he said.

"Then, Jackson, you are free to leave my team. You didn't 'trust my command' anyway," his voice was mocking without his usual warmness. "Moreover you knew that I would make it easier for you," Jack turned toward the General who stood as still and silent as everyone else in the room. "General Hammond I request Doctor Jackson be moved out of SG-1."

"You can't do that," cried not one but two disbelieving voices. Jack's hard gaze moved toward his two scientists and one-time friends.

"Have you a problem Major?" he snapped at Carter. She flinched at his tone, but she wasn't the only one in the room to do so, George did almost the same thing. When he had read Jack O'Neill's file long ago he could not relate what he had read with the man he knew. But now, the O'Neill from the files emerged into reality, the one who was ordered to eliminate a threat and who had done it without hesitation, the one who would do anything. He found his voice for the first time since he'd stepped into the room. He knew the situation had gotten out of control. He was sure that Daniel would soon be sorry if he wasn't already, to have said the things he'd said, but the situation could not be resolved just now, maybe not ever, but hopefully a little time off would calm down them.

"I noted your request Colonel O'Neill. Doctor Jackson I'm taking you out of SG-1 until the time my final decision is made. Until further notice I'm taking SG-1 off of the mission roster." He saw Jack open his mouth to say something but the hard gaze the General gave him made him stop before he said anything.

Jack nodded and left the Embarkation room, with Teal'c at his side, everyone else hurried out of the retreating Colonel's way. General Hammond turned around to walk back his office; he signalled to the remaining personnel to go back to their work as he went up the stairs, leaving behind a slightly stunned Daniel Jackson and Samantha Carter.

-------------

Daniel stood there stunned as the reality of recent events caught up with him. He could not believe he had said things like that to Jack of all people. He ran his fingers through his tousled brown hair, his gaze meeting with Sam's.

"I've done it haven't I?"

"Don't panic just yet Daniel, the Colonel will calm down," she grimaced, "with time." Daniel groaned. He didn't want to have said half of the things out loud. Sure he thought them when Jack pulled one of his stupid military stunts but Daniel always understood the reasons later when he calmed down. But things had just been heaped up on him, and he had just snapped. Daniel felt Sam squeeze his arm as she guided him out of the Gate room.

As the duo walked down the corridors they could hear the whispers and saw the looks that were directed towards them, well at Daniel mostly.

"Maybe after the medical examination it would be better to leave the base for a day or two," Sam whispered to him.

"Yeah."

'His mother's legacy'. It just occurred to Daniel why he was on edge, he needed to go to New York and pick 'his mother's legacy' up from the lawyer. One of his mother's old friends had kept them for him, but she'd died as well before he could have got the diaries. The woman's son had contacted Daniel to tell him he had found something belonging to Claire Jackson, and inquired if he wanted it or not. Daniel was delighted about the opportunity to find out something about his mother, and agreed to go and collect it. But this stupid mission had come up. Daniel wanted to ask Jack to come with him, but after their argument he doubted the older man would listen to him. He sighed and turned to Sam.

"Sam would you, of course you don't have to if you didn't want..."

"Daniel just ask."

"Will you come with me to New York, to retrieve my mother's diaries?"

"Sure Daniel."

"Thanks Sam."
Sign up to rate and review this story