Categories > TV > Stargate: SG-1 > Fools' Gold

Chapter 2

by SithJesto 0 reviews

They were friends, but more importantly, they were brothers in everything except in blood. However, when the soldier and the scientist clashed again and again, their friendship became unbalanced. O...

Category: Stargate: SG-1 - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-02-23 - Updated: 2007-02-23 - 1351 words

0Unrated
Beta: acelly31

--------------------

Chapter 2

Jack dashed through the corridors of the base, his eyes flashing with unleashed emotions, hurt, rage, and confusion. He knew he needed to check in with the infirmary but he just did not want to risk running into Jackson, he feared he would hit the younger man. Jack knew he needed to calm down so he headed towards the gym. Maybe a good 10 minutes boxing would calm him down and he would not feel that overwhelming urge to go after Daniel and beat him up.

As he went he did not notice as airmen and other personnel rushed to get out his way, nor did he notice Teal'c following him like a shadow. When he stepped into the gym he threw down his bag and jacket and stepped up to the nearest booth-bag and hit it as hard as he could.

With every hit one of their arguments resurfaced, one of the insults Daniel threw at him washed through his mind, cut into his soul. His bitter memories resurfaced and the past demons bared their ugly heads. Every pain caused by Daniel that he had buried deep inside escaped their prison. He could see, hear and feel them vividly. Each causal comment, offhand word, felt like an insult toward what and who he was.

He almost could hear Sam's and Daniel's voices as they discussed just a few feet away from him how dumb, suicidal and power hungry most of the special ops guys were. He remembered every time they talked over his head, when they rolled their eyes at him and his comments. They must have shared a laugh at him. He felt his energy drain along with his anger. He hit the bag one last time with full force, and he felt as the world came back to him, his knuckles hurt, he panted heavily, and felt like his soul bled. So he was just fine.

His bag was grabbed by Teal'c who raised an eyebrow at Jack, like a parent scolding a wayward child. The Jaffa's deep baritone echoed through the silent room. "I think the bag gave up O'Neill." Jack just stood for a moment, then cracked a smile at the Jaffa's attempted joke and his heart felt a bit lighter.

"Yeah T, you're right."

"Indeed O'Neill." Jack smirked at Teal'c good naturedly, while he let himself be escorted out of the gym by his friend. His mind was in a bit of daze as he tried to bury his anguish and past hurts, and he hesitated only when T lead him toward the infirmary. He felt a lot calmer than before, but his emotions were raw and he was not sure he wouldn't lose his control if another confrontation with Daniel occurred. Teal'c must have felt his hesitation.

"Daniel Jackson and Major Carter left the base a good ten minuets ago."

"Oh. What's the time?"

"It's almost eleven, you spent almost an hour in the gym." Jack looked bewildered. He had not noticed he'd spent so much time in the gym.

"Really, did not even notice," mumbled Jack mostly to himself but T heard him as well and nodded knowingly.

As he walked down the corridors he felt eyes on him. When he looked up to see who was looking, the personnel hurriedly turned their gazes away from him. He sighed. He had no illusions, by now the whole base knew about what happened in the Embarkation room.

His insecurities kicked in full force. He'd worked so hard to gain his people's support and trust, just to lose it now. It would be dreadful. He knew he was nothing special, one of the hundred or thousands of Air Force Colonels, and only a commutable member of his team. Sure he did his work, but he was just Jack, a simple man, nothing special. His mood darkened again, he knew who they would side with. It was not a very hard choice. On the one hand, there was him, a nothing, ordinary bad-tempered, hard-ass Colonel and on the other, Daniel Jackson, a brilliant archaeologist and linguist extraordinaire. Some choice.

Before he could fully submerge into depression, they turned into the infirmary where Doctor Janet Fraser waited for him with a displeased look on her face. Life just was not fair.

-------------------- Next Day in New York -------------------------

Daniel stood outside the lawyer's office with Sam at his side. His feelings were in conflict. He wanted to search out Jack and ask for his forgiveness, but he also had these possible new discoveries about his past that were just too appealing to leave, He feared that if he did not go after this maybe it would be lost for him forever. It was everything he'd dreamt of for so long, to know his parents better and he just could not risk it. He knew, well more likely hoped, his relationship with Jack would be okay and he believed it would be good for the older man if he was left alone to calm down. For a couple of days at the very least!

Sam squeezed his arm reassuringly as they stepped inside the office. An old grey haired man sat behind a desk, his grey eyes looked up and met Daniel's when he and Sam stepped inside.

"Good morning, how can I help you?"

"I am Doctor Daniel Jackson, Mr Edwin informed me about my mother's, Claire Jackson's diaries. He said I could find them here."

"Ah yes, Doctor Jackson, it would be my pleasure to give them to you, but first if you wouldn't mind confirming your identity?"

"Of course." Daniel pulled his driver's licence out of his wallet, and the older man studied it intently.

"It look's all right. Please come with me." The old man walked up to the wall and moved a portrait, behind it was a safe and inside the safe was an old, grey suitcase. Daniel gulped as he could see on it the silver initials of his mother's name. The old lawyer held out the suitcase toward him. "Here young man, everything is inside the suitcase."

"Thank you, sir." His fingers grabbed the handle and he let himself be guided by Sam out of the office toward their waiting car.

"Are you okay Daniel?" asked Sam.

"Yes, I just ... It's just overwhelming to know it was once my mother's, she held it, and her diaries with her thoughts, and memories are in this very suitcase." He grinned at her, and wished Jack was here with him. His smile became a bit sad at the thought, but Sam did not notice.

"Come on Daniel, let's go back to the hotel and look in her diaries," she suggested with a beaming smile.

"Yes, let's go back." Daniel looked out the window and watched the running city outside, and daydreamed about what he would find in the diaries. Without noticing he caressed the suitcase in his lap.

--------------- Meanwhile at the SGC ------------

The klaxons sounded all around the SGC. Jack stood up from his desk where he'd slept the last few hours, and ran out of his office toward the control room. He saw several personnel take up positions but he did not stop until he arrived at the briefing room. He saw Teal'c closing in on his position and stopped to wait for him. Together they stepped into the control room.

"What's happened General?"

"When SG-5 didn't check in on time, we sent thought the MALP. It was destroyed almost instantly, but a few pictures came through. We're waiting for them."

"Sir, the received pictures are clearing up," called out one of the Sergeants. Jack stepped closer to the monitor to see better, with the General and Teal'c at his side. On the screen they could see clearly the members of SG-5 and Bra'tac being held captive.

"Permission to launch a rescue attempt...."

"Permission granted Colonel. Take SG-2 and SG-3 with you."

"Yes sir." With that Jack was out of the door, to get his gear. He could hear as the General called the other teams to the Gate room through the com-system.
Sign up to rate and review this story