Categories > Original > Fantasy > Child of the Crossroads

Part 1

by MysteriesInTheAttic 0 reviews

A girl, the truth, and a whole host of creatures that go beyond the normal. Angels and demons that predate religion, some testy vampires, and a warlock or two for good measure. Combine and stir wel...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-21 - Updated: 2007-02-21 - 2330 words

0Unrated
Beep......Beep........Beep.......whack! Clara smacked the alarm clock to shut it up.
"I don't want to get up" she grumbled to herself dreading another day in the hell they called high school. The first quarter was coming to a close and 9-week's tests were starting today, which really didn't bother Clara to much, mostly because she was good at school it all made sense to her. She astounded teachers with how adeptly she picked up new skills and how quickly she mastered them. She just hated school in general.
"Clara are you up yet? You're going to miss the bus!" Mrs. Smithton called from the foot of the stairs.
"Yeah, I'll be down in a second!" she called back jumping out of bed and running to her closet. She grabbed a long sleeved dark green T-shirt and a pair of faded jeans and threw them on. She sprinted down the hallway to the bathroom to find the door shut and locked.
"Lila, you bitch get out!" she screamed pounding on the door.
"Don't talk to your sister that way young lady!" Her dad yelled from the bottom of the stairs.
"Errrrr!" Clara groaned pounding on the door till it opened.
"What? I was getting ready for school!" Lila her younger sister said casually as she brushed by. Clara had no problem with her getting ready for school but her school started an hour after hers and she was only in 6th grade.
Clara grabbed her hair brush and started viciously brushing her dark golden locks into some sort of order. She despised her hair and her green eyes, why couldn't she be like her sister and have chestnut hair and blue eyes. She was a lanky 5'6" and hated every inch of her body. From her big feet to her funny nose that just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of her face she despised the way she looked and at 16 and in the tenth grade nothing seemed to be getting better.
"Clara get down here now your cat is hungry!" her mother shouted from downstairs.
Clara ran down the stairs making sure to snag a pair of socks out of her room on the way down. She raced into the laundry room and threw some food in Shadow's, her cat's, bowl. Then kicked her feet into her clogs and flew out the door grabbing her messenger bag on the way.
She barley made it to the bus stop on time jumping on the bus a second before the driver up and left her. Clara grabbed a seat near the back and plopped down to rest the 10 minutes it would take to get to school on the bus.
"Hey Clara did you study for the science test" Jane asked her from across the aisle.
"Yes" she answered.
"Then can you quiz me?" Jane asked politely.
"No!" she retorted. She would rather stab out her eye balls with a rusty butter knife then talk to Jane. Jane was a 6'1" blonde idiot who thought she was the smartest girl on the planet.
"Why?" she whined.
"Because I don't wanna!" she said back in a mocking whine.
Jane huffily turned the other way which suited Clara just fine. She really wasn't in the mood to deal with that annoying bimbo. She would much rather glance over her notes but alas they had arrived in the devil's domain, high school
"Clara over her!" Nicky one of her best friend called from the end of the bus ramp as she stepped off the bus right behind Jane.
"Hey Nicky!" she said walking over to where her friend was.
"Did you here? Kyle asked Barbara to the Fall Ball!" Nicky said as if she was shocked. Kyle had liked Barbara for a month now, but Nicky who was in love with him refused to believe it.
"No I hadn't heard that." Clara said blandly, then spotted Trish her other best friend and waved her over.
"Hey Trish" Clara said as the three of them turned and walked toward the doors into school.
"Hey Clara! Nicky!" Trish said with a smile on her face as they walked into the school and into the courtyard.
"Did you hear Trish? Kyle......." Clara tuned them out because she knew Nicky would have at least a good 5 minute rant to go along with this. She instead turned her attention toward Drake who was over by his friends.
Drake was 5'10" with Sandusky blonde hair, that he wore kind of long, and the most amazing amber eyes. He was a senior and 18 so naturally he had a different social circle. That didn't stop Clara from using him as eye candy. He didn't hold her attention long though! She found herself looking at Shane, a 6'2" dark blonde hottie with a sexy body. Hmm, she thought to herself, I wonder who he is dating today. It was well known no girl held Shane's attention for long.
But of course those weren't the only cute guys on Clara's radar there was also Jacob, Kyle, James, Chris ...... the list went on and on.
"So you can see why I'm totally upset cant you Trish?" Nicky said apparently through with her rant.
"No actually! You could have made a move on him but you didn't so it's your fault!" Trish retorted
"She's got a point Nicky." Clara put in just before the bell for homeroom rang.
"See you in 2nd period!" Clara called over her shoulder to Nicky and Trish as she walked off to her locker.




Drake moved quickly through the crowd in the halls before homeroom not really thinking about where he was going. Damn why are there so many people at this high school, he thought to himself.
That's easy the school board was a bunch of cheap skates and didn't want to pay for a new school. Well, why the hell should he deal with this he should be above the squabble of mortals. Hell he was! He wasn't like them why should he be among them in this penitentiary of a school.
" Because alas we are doomed!" Jacob answered his unasked question.
"Okay that may be but stay the hell out of my head you creepy little warlock!" Drake snapped back angry that Jacob being a warlock could read his every thought.
"Oh is the wittle wolfy shy?" Jacob cooed in a voice you would use on a baby not a werewolf in a bad mood.
"I am not shy!" Drake retorted with venom "I just don't like people in my head! Okay with you?"
Drake spun the combination on his locker they had just reached. He started loading and unloading various books and binders. He sensed her before he saw her! Clara Smithton was walking quickly down the hall to her locker not three down from his. Damn that girl was fine!
"Oh look what the cat dragged in!" Jacob quipped at Clara as she passed.
"Shut up Jacob, I'm not in the mood for your stupid banter" Clara sneered at Jacob's remark.
"Well doesn't someone have there panties in a twist today?" Jacob chimed back with a sugary voice that would have had any other girl melting.
"Don't ever think you have any effect on my panties ass hole!" She snapped back slamming her locker and walking away.
"Oh she is too fine for her own good and too much of a bitch!" Jacob said with a funny expression turning back to Drake.
"She wouldn't be such a bitch if you were a little nicer!" Drake said with barley concealed anger toward Jacob for saying those things to Clara.
"No she is just a heartless hell bitch plain and simple! But I still wouldn't kick her outta bed!" Jacob smiled at his own words.
"You just hate that she is immune to all your sugary charm that all the other girls melt over!" Drake fumed as he slammed his locker and began to walk away but bumped into Kyle with his new girl hanging off his arm. What was her name Bard, Beth, Bell, Barbara?
"Hey Barbara, I'll see you later I have to talk to Drake." He said dismissing his new hanger-on with a few words.
"Ok I'll see you later then!" She said with a pout as she walked off.
"Oh how cute the bat boy has a new pet!" Jacob laughed over his own sarcasm.
"Nah I'm already bored!" Kyle said looking as if he was hungry and all the little humans around him were just snacks.
"Hey vampy boy fangs to yourself!" Drake warned him sternly.
"I'm not stupid I know the rules!" Kyle snipped back.
"Yeah just make sure you follow 'em too!" Drake said with an imposing edge on his voice as the bell rung saying they had better get their asses to homeroom.



Clara's head started throbbing during 1st period. It felt like someone was trying their best to drill straight through her head. She took an aspirin she wasn't supposed to have at school and waited for the pain to subside. The teacher droned on about something to do with the constitutional amendments again. The pain seemed to lessen in intensity but continued to stay with her throughout the entire period ending abruptly as the bell rang.




Jacob was in a foul mood by the end of his 1st period. He had tried without success to breach Clara Smithton's mind for the last fifty minutes. The girl had the most intense mind guards he had ever seen, and living in a community with many other nonhuman creatures he had seen a good deal of mind wards and blockades. None of them even compared to Clara's! This was the first time he had ever tried to get into her head, and he had only done so because of how protective Drake had been about her earlier that morning. Drake, Blaine ,Derek , Peter , Charlie , and Kyle all possessed the power to hide things from him, but they had to work at it. He could tell Clara was completely unfocussed on her guards by the way he saw her acting through other people near hers' minds. She had actually taken aspirin while he was trying to break into her mind, and everyone knew that was the last thing you wanted to do, because it weakened your mind. It hadn't weakened hers a bit.
Clara had sat their looking bored and doodling the whole class period, turning to look at the lecturing teacher only ever so often, he assumed, to make sure he was still only spouting text book stuff she could just as easily read. He was going to have to consult the others about this. The supernaturals in the school had formed a kind of support group, due to the fact they were forced to impose some rules, so they wouldn't get caught . He would have to bring Clara's uncanny mind barriers up, because they were supposed to report any human activity that could pose a threat to their secrecy; if he couldn't read Clara's mind she could hide dangerous secrets and they couldn't have that.
After a quick stop at his locker, Jacob headed to his 2nd period. Kyle was in the same class so he would ask him about it. He took his seat near the back of the classroom and waited for Kyle. Per normal Kyle walked in late, but the teacher didn't notice because he used a glamour on her.
"You shouldn't do that in front of so many people." Jacob hissed at Kyle as he took the seat next to him casting a quick Directed Voice spell to make sure no one but Kyle heard him.
"I know, but it's all just too easy." Kyle whispered back, which caused a girl to glance at them.
Jacob made some runes in the air casting a two-way Mind Speak spell so no spoken words at all had to pass between them.
"And don't be so loud that Chelsie girl just looked over here." Jacob thought glaring at Kyle.
"I'm sorry I just don't really care about all this sniveling mortals. I mean if I wanted I could kill all of the people in this classroom in what? Half a second? If it took that long. You know that, and that's without using anything but my speed and strength. The gods be damned they would be dead in the blink of an eye if I used my Viper's Breath on them." Kyle thought back with a sneer on his face.
As much as Jacob hated to admit it, Kyle knew what he was talking about humans were easy to kill.
"I know, but then Blaine and Derek would be pissed and you would have to move, again."
"So, warlock I have the rest of eternity to look forward to what do you? A few hundred years? Don't you ever forget that I am already 213 years old. I have seniority in these situations."
Kyle vented via his thoughts.
" Yes but if you get exposed it puts the rest of us at risk. Plus vampires do have the Feldorian clan to police them. Don't forget that the twins belong to that clan and they could destroy you in a second."
"You are pushing it warlock! Is there anything you wanted to tell me besides yell at me and try to pose threats against me?"
"Yeah, Clara Smithton. What do you know about her?"
Jacob asked finally getting to the point.
"Not much. She's sexy as hell. I've tried to take her to bed a few times but it didn't work in the least. She has a strong will for a human. Why do you ask? You interested in her?"
"Not in the way you are thinking. But as for the human thing...I am beginning to doubt that she is."
"Why? She is a little off but not enough for her to be something else."
"I can't read her mind."
Jacob stated simply.
Sign up to rate and review this story