Categories > Original > Fantasy > Child of the Crossroads

Part 2

by MysteriesInTheAttic 0 reviews

In which there is an angsty phantom and a space cadet

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Fantasy - Published: 2007-02-25 - Updated: 2007-02-25 - 1754 words

0Unrated
"What? You're kidding you have to be." Kyle responded aghast that Jacob couldn't see into Clara's mind. Jacob may have been an ass, but he was the strongest mind reader the warlock community had seen since Merlin.
"I wish I was, but I tried breaking her mind last period and all I met was a solid blockade. The girl's mind is impenetrable. She didn't even throw them up after she felt an invasion they were there from the get-go. She even took aspirin while I was trying to probe and nothing changed."
"That isn't possible!"
Kyle said looking at Jacob with a disbelieving look on his face.
"It is and it is true too boot!"
"We have to tell the rest."
"I know."




Clara was sitting at the pottery wheel during 2nd listening to Trish try and explain to Nicky why Blaine was a far superior male to Kyle. Nicky wouldn't have any of it; she thought Blaine was just a scary, funny-looking punk kid.
"What the heck Nicky, Kyle is just some wannabe bad ass , and you want to rag on the punks?" Trish said astounded.
"Kyle is amazing and hot. That whole dangerous side of him is such a huge turn on." Nicky snapped back.
Clara just listened and used her hands to sculpt a vase as the wheel spun. She frankly thought Drake was better than both Blaine and Kyle. Trish with her gothic style would of course choose Blaine the tall, black-haired, leather-jacket wearing, guitarist, "punk". Nicky the Abercrombie girl went for the slightly brooding, pretty boy with the chestnut hair, Kyle. They would never agree, so this argument was never ending.
"Trish, Nicky, shut up already!" Clara said finally sick of hearing her two best friends argue over boys. Plus they were sat on either side of her and they could only talk across her and it was really starting to bug her.
"What's your malfunction?" Trish asked as Clara finished her vase and prepared to move the delicate piece to the shelves of pieces waiting to be fired in the kiln. Clara took the piece to the shelves before answering Trish.
"You two will never agree so what's the point of arguing?" she stated calmly. The two just looked at her angrily. Clara just washed her hands and gathered her books. The bell rang and they all exited the room. Clara wouldn't have to see her friends again until after school since they didn't have any classes besides advanced pottery together. They weren't even on the same lunch.
"Clara wait up!" a voice called from behind her tuning she saw it was none other than the loathsome Jacob.
"What do you want?" Clara growled walking towards her next class, Algebra 2.
"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I have been a real ass to you and I want to make it up to you." Jacob said giving her his best puppy dog look. All the while trying to break into her mind or get his drawing abilities to work on her.
"What ever Jacob. I don't know what you have heard, but I am not some easy bimbo like you are used to, so take a hike." Clara sneered quickening her pace to escape him.
Jacob was left standing in the crowded halls thoroughly confused. Her mind was just as solid of a fortress up close as it was from a distance, and what's more his magically enhanced Pull hadn't effected her. If anything it had added to her hostility. What was up with this chick? And more importantly what in heaven and hell was she?



Clara walked into the lunch room nervously. She knew Jacob had this lunch and she wasn't too keen on seeing him after that run in earlier. Getting her food in a hurry, she sat down at her normal table near the window that faced the woods. No one would sit with her, they never did. Any one she even moderately tolerated had one of the other two lunches, so she sat by herself and read during lunch. She spotted Jacob halfway across the cafeteria, staring straight at her. His pale blue eyes were very unnerving, enough so that she had to look away, but not before she saw Drake take the seat next to him.



Drake sat down next to Jacob noticing that he was staring at someone across the room. He turned following Jacob's line of sight, it lead to Clara. Seeing her made Drake's heart jump.
"Why are you staring at Clara?" Drake asked munching on his disgusting school food.
"Because..." Jacob looked around then made some runes and mumbled a word or two so they wouldn't be heard , "I can't read her mind and she is immune to my Draw."
"What?" Drake barked dropping his plastic fork.
"You heard me. I cannot read her mind or attract her to me magically." Jacob said again.
"Mind call Chris we need him to try and aura read her." Drake commanded, his tone saying he was taking this very seriously.
"You know that won't help. Chris says the school is full of some brilliant violet energy, and has been for the past year or so. Only really strong auras can be seen above it." Jacob said with a what-the-hell-are-you-thinking look on his face.
"I know but if she can block you she should have enough of an aura to read over the purple shit." Drake said sharply.
"Okay." Jacob wouldn't argue that. He called the phantom boy from where he was skulking eating his own lunch.
"Good thing Chris has this lunch, too." Jacob commented only to be met with Drake's harsh stare and silence.
"What do you want?" Chris asked pissed they had interrupted his brooding with their summons.
"Well ghostie we need you to try and read Clara over there's aura." Jacob stated simply.
"It won't work. I don't see her as having a strong enough aura to see over this purple stuff, what ever it is, which by the way I still don't know what it is." Chris told them looking rather bored.
"Try it anyways!" Drake ordered leaving no question that if Chris didn't at least try he would be ripped apart but a pissed of werewolf.
"Okay I will. Sheesh what's so special about this one anyways." Chris grumbled focusing on Clara. He shifted his sight to aura vision. What Chris saw made his jaw drop. Clara Smithton's aura didn't show above the violet energy. It was the violet energy. Waves of the stuff were pulsing off or her and right next to her skin it glowed so dark it was almost black. She herself was shining with a light that the likes of which Chris had never seen.
"Okay what does that look mean?" Drake asked worriedly as Chris stared with an utterly flabbergasted look at Clara.
"Can you distinguish her aura from the purple energy?" Jacob asked sensibly.
"No." Chris answered truthfully.
"Then what the hell are you gawking over?" Drake snapped.
"I said I couldn't distinguish is, and that is true. I can see it though." Chris answered in his roundabout way.
"Okay I don't have the time for riddles." Drake seethed at the infuriating Phantom that wouldn't give them a straight answer.
"Okay fine you want to know why I can't tell her aura and the purple energy apart. It's because they are one in the same." Chris stated annoyed.
"Excuse me?" Jacob said like Chris had just told him Santa Claus was real.
"No? That isn't even possible. No one can have an aura that strong, and anyways aura energy doesn't linger in those quantities. She would have to be putting out enough energy to fuel New York City for a year. The girl would be a power generator." Drake said laughing at how absurd that idea was. Clara being the source of the purple energy. Yeah and the big bad wolf was his second cousin.
"Fine, don't believe me!" Chris snapped and stalked off to enjoy his misery on his own.
"He wasn't serious?" Jacob questioned, "Was he?"



By the end of 7th period, Clara had a pounding headache. They had been doing mock trials in Law Studies, her last period of the day, and she was the prosecuting attorney. Today had been the end of their second trial and she had managed to get the mock defendant put away for 20 years for murder. But reality beckoned with a sledge hammer of a headache.
Clara made her way out to the parking lot where Trish was waiting to give her a ride home. On her way out, she saw Kyle sitting on one of the picnic tables. The odd thing was his eyes were tracking her; her every move. He was taking careful note of her for some reason today, and it was unnerving. Too many boys were acting weird, and she was starting to worry they knew something she didn't.
"Hey space cadet, what's on your mind?" Trish asked as I approached her little, red mustang. You wouldn't know it from the way she looked, but Trish lived the high life. Her parents were loaded and they loved her dearly.
"Nothing just guys acting weird today." Clara responded shaking her head and throwing her thing in the passenger seat floor board.
"Oh like Kyle Jensing?" Trish said waggling her eye brows.
"Okay tell me I'm crazy. Was he watching me as I walked out here?" Clara demanded in a hushed whisper.
"Yeah and he is still watching you...oh my god and now Jacob has joined him. What the hell when did you become their favorite pastime?" Trish asked her friend of seven years.
"Apparently today. Jacob caught me after second and said he was sorry for being an ass and he wanted to make it up to me. I told him to leave me the hell alone." Clara informed Trish slamming her door.
"You don't say things like that to people like him Clara-girl!" Trish said getting behind the wheel and clipping her seat belt in place.
"People like him?"
"Powerful people that can make your high school life miserable!" Trish all but yelled closing her door and cranking the car up.
"What he isn't Merlin he can't cast a spell on me that will turn me into a toad. He can't do much of anything."
"That's where you are wrong. He is dangerous, just be careful."
"I will." Clara said in an exasperated voice as they peeled out.
Sign up to rate and review this story