Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Family and Duty

Chapter 1

by Medic_or_Medic_Lifel 0 reviews

Lifeline's strong sense of duty and his love for his family. Chapter 5 is now up rated M

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Duke, Scarlett, Other - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-09-16 - Updated: 2005-09-17 - 2920 words

0Cliche
Disclaimer: I only borrow the GI Joe characters and the song American Soldier by Toby Keith

Disclaimer: I only borrow the GI Joe characters and the song American Soldier by Toby Keith. I make no cash off this, and it is for fun. Please do not sue.

Assignment 9

By Medic

Rating: PG (I guess)

Hey let me know what you think.

A very special thanks to Storm O and Scarlett Phoenix, without you both, this may have never happened. Your encouragement, and support, meant the world to me. I also have a special thank you to my husband who supported me in this. I love you....

This started out small, and it has now like others got a mind of its own and is now several chapters long.......

Family and Duty


Lifeline sat on a plane heading back to the United States, his tour of duty done for now. Smiling, this was the third plane he had been on in less then twenty-four hours. Lifeline figured he had flown through so many time zones that he had most likely passed himself in one of them. Carla and the children would be waiting for him when they landed at the base that now housed the PITT, which was disguised as a normal military base. He looked around at the planeload of soldiers surrounding him, all were tired, dirty, and jetlagged to say the least; some were wounded, some not, some sleeping, some reading, and others just talking. They talked of home, their mission, their families that they left behind, and some of the comrades that they had lost. Lifeline let his mind wander back to the day he left, all those months ago.....

Six months ago.....


Ed Steen had awoken early that morning, wanting to surprise his lovely wife of five years. It was funny how things had worked out. After the team had disbanded, both had lost track of each other; however, after a few years and with the help of a few mutual friends from the team, they were reacquainted. Both exchanged phone numbers, finding out that the other was halfway across the United States. Since the disbanding of the G I Joe team, Carla Greer had left the service to pursue a private practice, while Ed remained in the Army as a medic.

Lifeline, as they had known him, was always shy and quiet. After finding out she was single still, he decided he would not let a good thing slip away a second time. When she was in the service, he could not be with her even if he wanted because of the military's fraternization regulations, unless he himself had become a medical doctor. When she was in charge of the Joe medical team, Carla had asked him if he wanted to go to medical school, but Ed had always turned it down.

Fate reunited them and they married soon after they began dating. Within a few years, he was a father of two beautiful children, a son and a daughter. They lived at Fort Sam Houston, for a while before the Joe team was reinstated. Ed took them up on the offer to rejoin the team. At the new Joe base, Lifeline worked under a new doctor.

Lifeline was whisking eggs that morning as his two year old, Jacob walked into the kitchen, his teddy bear in hand and trailing behind him. He had just celebrated his birthday. Smiling, Ed bent down and picked up his son, "Good morning, Jacob," he said, kissing their son on the cheek as he picked him up. "You want to help daddy make breakfast?"

Jacob giggled and squirmed as Ed put him in the high chair so he could watch his daddy make breakfast. He heard his daughter come bouncing down the stairs.

Wrapped in her favorite blanket, Lisa walked to the kitchen doorway, rubbing her eyes. Smiling, Lifeline bent down as his daughter came running.

"Daddy!" she said excitedly.

"Good morning," Ed told his daughter. "Shh, Mommy is still sleeping, Lisa," Ed said getting his daughter and putting her in the chair at the table. Ed got her a Mickey Mouse cup with some juice. She started to giggle as she watched her dad start to make breakfast, while he made funny faces at her. Ed laughed as she mimicked him as he finished whisking the eggs. As Ed was getting ready to turn on the stove, the phone rang. He walked over and picked up the portable phone. "Lifeline here." Deep down inside he knew something was not right and figured it was either for him or Carla since both were off for the day.

I'm just trying to be a father

Raise a daughter and a son

Be a lover to their mother

Everything to everyone

Up and at 'em, bright and early

I'm all business in my suit

Yeah, I'm dressed up for success

From my head down to my boots


Lifeline listened, nodding and answering, "Yes, I understand," several times, before slowly hanging up the phone. Looking at his children, and back to the phone, he would have to wake Carla, but not for breakfast. With a heavy heart he said, "No breakfast today gang." He walked over, picked up Lisa, and placed her on the floor. Then Lifeline lifted Jacob out of the high chair. Carrying his son in his arms and his daughter by his hand, they started to go up the stairs. "Let's go see mommy."

As Lifeline walked up the stairs and reached their bedroom, he let the children go. Approaching the doorway, they both ran and climbed into bed with their mom. Carla moaned, still half asleep.

"Mommy!," the children yelled.

Carla rolled over, looking at her children. She saw Ed standing by the door, leaning against the frame. She smiled at her early morning wakeup by the three people she loved the most.

"Ed?" she asked, sensing something wrong. "What is it?"

Ed slowly walked over to the bed and sat down. "Carla, Headquarters just called, I have to leave," he told her, looking down to the floor.

"I thought I heard the phone ring," Carla said quietly as both children hugged her.

"I have to leave in three hours," Ed informed his wife, "I'm sorry. I know I just got back."

"Ed, we both knew this could happen when we married and decided to start our family," Carla sighed. "Though it don't make it any easier," she said softly as she kissed him.

"I know," Ed told her, starting to get up. "I have to change and pack."

"Jacob and Lisa," Carla tried to say holding back the tears in her eyes, "Let's go make breakfast for daddy." Slowly she slid out of bed, both children in tow. She kissed her husband as she walked past him. Ed grabbed his uniforms out of the closet and started to get his bags ready for deployment.

Carla Picked up Jacob, and Lisa in tow, they started to walk down the hall to the stairs. Lisa stopped. "Daddy, what are you doing?" his daughter asked wide-eyed, seeing him pack his uniforms. His daughter slowly walked back down the hall back down to the bedroom, watching from the door. Looking back up at his daughter, Ed's heart broke, but he knew there were others out there like him who were having to leave their families again.

"Daddy has to go away for a bit," Ed said, walking towards his daughter.

"But why?" Lisa asked.

"Because there are some bad people and..." Ed stopped, not really knowing what to say. Carla would explain the rest after he left.

"Oh," Lisa, said trying to comprehend what her father was telling her. She began to cry realizing that her daddy had to go away.

"Shhh," Ed said, holding her. "Lisa, I won't be gone long I promise."

His daughter sniffed, and nodded.

"Now go help your Mom. I am hungry," Lifeline said, tickling her. Lisa giggled and smiled as he placed her back on the floor so she could run back down the stairs.

Lifeline continued to pack, trying to get everything, including his chemical gear, into the bag and the three others lying on their bed. He picked up his backpack and put a few of his favorite things in it. He walked over to the shower, got cleaned up and changed into his uniform.

Picking up each bag, Ed carried them down the stairs and placed them by the front door. He could smell breakfast cooking as he picked up his boots by the back door, put them on, and laced them up.

After finishing breakfast, Ed looked at Carla. "I'll get this, if you want to go clean up," he said, kissing her as he got up from the table. Carla started to walk off, with quick glance back at her husband. His back was towards her as he cleaned the kitchen and loaded the dishwasher; it was something she would hold in her memory.



Ed put a stack of bills out in the mail, as Carla got dressed. Sighing, he thanked his lucky stars that she could work, since the pay of a sergeant did not go far. Ed hated the thought of his wife's having to work, but was glad that she loved her job. And with him gone, that and the children were all she had at times. Although his wife made what should be a comfortable salary, a good portion of her income went to paying her insurance fees and student loans, not counting the small daily disasters that went along with running a household. When they moved from Texas, Carla had to build a new patient base. Then after Jacob was born, Carla needed major surgery due to complications. Shortly after her surgery, Ed had been deployed once again, leaving Carla to take care of the house, children, and recover from her surgery. It was months before she was able to go back to work, and childcare costs added an additional bill on top of the already mounting medical bills. Ed and Carla made the best of their situation. Ed provided the best he could for his family, and Carla knew he loved being a part of the GI Joe team

I don't do it for the money

There's bills that I can't pay

I don't do it for the glory

I just do it anyway

Providing for our future's my responsibility

Yeah I'm real good under pressure

Being all that I can be


Ed finished loading his bags into his Jeep Cherokee. Luckily, there was enough room leftover for the two car seats in the back. Carla came out with the children, and Ed helped strap them in. He then climbed in the car on the passenger side and strapped himself in. Carla started the vehicle, and with a deep breath, put the Jeep in gear. As they left, Carla asked, "How long will you be gone, Ed?"

Squeezing his wife's hand, Ed replied, "Past Christmas this time, Carla. I'll be gone for at least six months." Ed looked out the passenger window and held his wife's hand tight. "I'm sorry. I just couldn't tell you yet. I found out this morning. I was going to wait till we got to the hanger to tell you."

Carla drove on, squeezing his hand, letting go to wipe a tear away. "Okay," she sniffed, trying not to cry, realizing that Christmas was another two months away and that he would be gone way into the new year. The last time he was gone, it was for about four months.

They arrived at the hanger, and Carla parked the Jeep. A group of Joes was standing in the vicinity with their families. A few waved as Ed and Carla drove up. Ed, known to his teammates as Lifeline, got out and opened the back of the Jeep. A few of the others walked over to help him unload his bags and place them on a pallet. Lifeline walked back over to Carla. "I love you Hon. You and the kids be careful. I will call and write every chance I get." Taking his finger and lifting her chin, Lifeline bent down and kissed Carla passionately. As Lifeline kissed his wife, he memorized every feature of her face as he savored their kiss.

He hugged her and the children goodbye one last time. Jacob and Lisa started to cry as he walked away. Ed removed his glasses and wiped away a few tears. His children watched him meet up with the rest of the group as they prepared to board the C 130. Ed looked back one last time before boarding the plane. Carla watched until she could not see the group any longer. She put the children in the Jeep and left. After reaching their home, Carla put the children down for a nap. She went to their room and collapsed on their bed, crying herself to sleep.

TWO MONTHS LATER...............


And I can't call in sick on Mondays

when the weekends been too strong

I just work straight through the holidays

And sometimes all night long

You can bet that I stand ready when the wolf growls at the door

Hey, I'm solid, hey I'm steady, hey, I'm true down to the core


Lifeline stood in the heat of the morning sun, his desert BDUs covered in blood as the dust blew around him. As one of the platoon's medics, he had been working on the wounded all night long. He had gone out with a squad that had sustained heavy casualties. Lifeline was tired and wore out to say the least. It had been a long night, and Christmas was less than three days away. He hoped the small Christmas presents he picked up in a friendly, local village had reached his family back home. He knew Carla would take care of the rest as she had done in the past for their birthdays and other events he missed out on. Pulling a picture from his pocket, he whispered, "Halfway there, gang. I miss and love you so."/ / No matter how much he missed them, Ed knew he had a job to do. And if he didn't his children may have to deal with the worse threat when they grew up, which Ed did not want. Lifeline put the picture back in his pocket next to his heart.

And I will always do my duty no matter what the price

I've counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice

Oh, and I don't want to die for you

but if dyin's asked of me

I'll bear that cross with honor

'cause freedom don't come free

I'm an American soldier, an American

beside my brothers and my sisters I will proudly take a stand

When Liberty's in jeopardy, I will always do what's right

I'm out here on the front line

Sleep in peace tonight

American soldier, I'm an American soldier


Three days later.....


Lifeline knelt down under heavy fire, pulling a wounded soldier out of the way and getting both of them behind shelter. He worked as quickly as he could as bullets bounced off the walls around him. Keeping his head down as he worked, he scurried from soldier to soldier. Suddenly, he felt something warm running down his leg. Looking down, he did not feel any pain. Lifeline put his hand on his thigh. Bringing back his hand, he expected the worst, but was relieved to see only water. The enemy had hit his canteen.

The fighting over for now, and the wounded evacuated. Lifeline went to his tent and sat down on his bunk. He pulled the canteen out of its holder and looked at it, realizing how close he might have come to dying. After placing the canteen on his makeshift shelf, Lifeline lay back and thought of his family. Carla was a strong woman, and if something would happen to him, Ed knew that she would be able to go on. Not just for her sake, but the children's as well. The Cobra troops they had fought this time had pulled back, but, tomorrow was another day. Ed pulled out a pad of paper and started to write a letter.

One Month Later.....


Back home, Carla was reading a letter that Ed had sent her. Both Christmas and New Year's Day had come and gone. Carla smiled as she read it through her tears. He wrote of the people they encountered in the villages and of the people with whom he had worked. Ed told of the losses they had incurred and of how his heart broke for their families. He never mentioned how close he came to dying that one day, nor any of other the other times. He ended the letter by telling her that he hoped the world was a bit safer by him being where he was. He wrote fondly of his love for her and their children, but most importantly that he would be coming home soon. Carla looked the red X's on the calendar, knowing that somewhere Ed was doing the same thing.

Yeah, an American soldier, an American

Beside my brothers and my sisters I will proudly take a stand

When Liberty's in jeopardy I will always do what's right

I'm out here on the front line

So Sleep in peace tonight

American soldier, I'm an American

An American, an American soldier


TBC*.....

To Be Continued*
Sign up to rate and review this story