Categories > Anime/Manga > Love Mode > The Ways Love Grows

A Reason for Holding On

by Jexia 0 reviews

Takamiya in Limbo.

Category: Love Mode - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Takamiya, Other - Published: 2005-09-16 - Updated: 2005-09-17 - 1441 words

0Unrated

Izumi shifted his weight first, and as if it had been agreed on ahead of time, they released from the hug at the same time.

Takamiya was still concerned for the youth's comfort, so he asked, "Are you hungry, Izumi?"

The boy shook his head no and replied, "Just tired."

"Then let me show you the guest room," said Takamiya as he led the way and stepped aside to let Izumi enter.

"Good-night" he said, as the youth stumbled to the bed and crawled under the covers.

Takamiya turned out the light, walked up the hall to his own room with a feeling of contentment, and the slightest blur of tears filming his eyes at the thought that Izumi was staying under his roof.

It was certainly happiness of a sort.

He should go to sleep, but the thought that Izumi was right up the hall from him was too exciting. Takamiya was wide-awake partly because of the boy's unexpected visit, but also from his afternoon nap.

He realized that he should go to bed. He had things to accomplish the next day after all. He needed to call the movers to get his belongings out of storage, and let his editor know there would be a slight delay on the next chapter because---

Suddenly the memory of the long kiss he'd shared with Izumi seared him.

As if he could concentrate on details with Izumi asleep in bed just a few meters away. It was a struggle for Takamiya to rein in his libido. He was powerfully tempted to tiptoe down the hall just to look in on the face of his beloved again.

He's so cute, thought Takamiya. It's driving me crazy. I love him so much. I hope someday, he comes to love me as much as I love him.

He shook his head at his hopelessly romantic thoughts.

I sound like an idiot. He hates homos. I ought to be realistic, but...I think he likes me.

God, I'm doing it again. Blowing things out of proportion. After all, he did punch me.

But he didn't hit me all that hard, not really. And then he let me hold him. I really think he likes me. He stayed there for the longest time with my arms around him. He's so cute.

Takamiya's mind raced on, exploring any and all scenarios, but finally he was so exhausted by the uncertainty of gauging Izumi's possible reactions the following day, that he peeled off his clothes finally, slid into bed and fell asleep more promptly than he imagined possible.

He dreamed of the beach again. The sun peeped out from time to time from behind the clouds. He was watching gentle waves wash the shore, when he heard the trudge of footsteps in the sand. He looked up and saw Izumi with the ruined kite in his hands.

The boy looked sad as he stopped beside Takamiya and offered the man the broken toy.

"I don't know how to fix it myself," Izumi said.

Takamiya accepted the kite carefully.

"It's not so bad. The biggest problem is the string," he said as his hands moved patiently to unravel the knots. "The sticks can be mended with glue. It will be good as new. You'll see. Good as new."

Takamiya was still winding the string, when the alarm went off at seven and shredded his dream.

Takamiya's first waking thought, was a happy one. "Izumi is here!"

His second thought was that the boy must be hungry, so Takamiya phoned room service and placed a breakfast order.

He showered, shaved and had just finished dressing when the doorbell signaled the waiter's arrival. When Takamiya opened the door, the server pushed a cart filled with covered trays in to the foyer.

"Where did you want it, sir?" he asked Takamiya.

"On the terrace, please," said Takamiya. A few moments later, the room service clerk left.

Takamiya poured a mug of tea for himself, and then walked up the hall, to see about waking Izumi. The man hovered at the door with his heart and stomach flip-flopping. He was a little hesitant to knock when he heard the sound of a yawn.

Izumi's waking up, thought Takamiya.

A groan followed the yawn. Then Takamiya heard a sudden abrupt rustle of sheets, a sharp indrawn breath and Izumi's words of delighted surprise.

"Ha-ha! I'm healthy again. Thank goodness! Morning wood! "

Takamiya chuckled at the phrase.

"Good morning, Izumi," he said as he nudged the half-open door to peer in the room. "It's just like I said, right?"

The youth gave Takamiya an embarrassed look and swung his legs over the side of the bed.

"But it's a pity you didn't return to health last night," Takamiya said with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

Takamiya was completely unprepared for the pillow Izumi launched in retaliation. It bowled him over and knocked the mug of tea from his hand.

"Jeez! Can you get it through your head? I'm not a homo!" the boy exclaimed with nervous vehemence.

Takamiya pulled himself off the floor with a sigh, grabbed a towel from the top of the dresser and started mopping up the spill.

"It was just a joke," said Takamiya. "I came to let you know that room service just brought breakfast. I thought you'd be hungry," he said, as he picked up the cup and towel, then turned and exited the room.

"Breakfast?" repeated Izumi as he followed Takamiya. "I'm sorry. I'll be there in a minute. I just have to use the....uh," the boy mumbled as he vanished into the bathroom.

As the man walked to the kitchenette to drop off the mug and tea-stained towel, he tried to weigh the importance of the punch to the jaw Izumi had dealt him last night, and now this morning, the pillow to the head. The translator began to wonder if he was up to the task of winning the youth over. He went back into the living room, and opened the French doors to the terrace feeling a little downcast. Izumi followed him out just a moment later.

"Have a seat," Takamiya said with a gesture towards a cushioned wicker chair. The meal looked inviting spreading out on the glass-topped rattan table. After a brief moment of thanksgiving, Izumi picked up a scone and took a bite while Takamiya poured a cup of tea. The need for another cup reminded the man of the mug he just spilled and he couldn't resist the impulse to confront Izumi about his behavior.

"You didn't have to throw the pillow at me, you know. I was just making a little joke. I don't know why you're so mad at me now, when you were so cute last night--"

Izumi hastened to interrupt. "Last night was last night. That wasn't the normal me. Today is another day and I'm back to normal again. Got it? Normal! So just forget about last night. Put it out of your mind."

"Yes, yes, I got it, okay," Takamiya said with a crestfallen sigh. "So from where things stand, you still haven't forgiven me for what happened that other night." He propped his elbow on the table, rested his chin on his hand, glanced at Izumi's implacable expression and then down at the tabletop. He felt quite melancholy and it didn't help one bit when Izumi declared in a matter-of-fact conversational tone, "I hate homos."

Takamiya sipped his tea thinking, "This is it, the handwriting on the wall. The kiss-off. It's all over. Shot down for good."

He sank into reverie only to pull out of it when Izumi started to speak again, "...but in your particular case, Takamiya-san, it's okay."

Takamiya repeated the words in his mind until they registered. Did he say it's okay in my case? He did, he said it's okay!

"Izumi?" The man could scarcely believe his ears and his eyes widened in surprise. Did the boy really mean it?

"It's because you're really nice," Izumi went on. "I don't have a choice, so I'll forgive you..."

Takamiya's smile lit up his face like sunshine.

"But even so," Izumi continued like a lawyer laying out arguments, "don't try to force me or urge me..."

Takamiya bridged the gap between them with a quick, sweet, spontaneous kiss on the cheek.

"I love you," he said happily.

"Gah!" I'm warning you. Come close and I'll tear you apart!" the boy growled while Takamiya beamed, eyes shining at the prospect.

Nothing else mattered to him now. Not kicks. Not blows or sharp words. He had Izumi's forgiveness now. He had hope.
Sign up to rate and review this story