Categories > TV > Power Rangers > Five Kisses Better Left Unshared

One For The Road

by Dagmar 0 reviews

How does kissing a good friend work out?

Category: Power Rangers - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jason - Published: 2007-02-28 - Updated: 2007-03-01 - 2121 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I wish I owned them, but I don't. If I did, we'd get much less rubber monsters and much more character development. deep sigh
Note I: Hey, Evenstar120 has decided to play, too! Welcome to the sandbox!
Note II: So here's the penultimate chapter in this challenge. (Gotta keep up with Panache!) For a while, I wasn't sure how to tackle this, then inspiration hit and the chapter more or less fell into place. Oh, and I was waffling quite a bit over several titles until I chose this one; internet cookies to everyone who can identify the reference! Enjoy, and please pass by the feedback box on your way out?



Five Kisses Better Left Unshared
Chapter 4: One For The Road



The Kiss That Should Have Worked, But Didn't

There she was, kissing another guy.

Across the crowded room Jason watched his girlfriend melt into the embrace, her whole body speaking of a passion and surrender she'd never given to him. Virtually in public, too - not really a blatant display, but still there for everyone to see who cared to look. Who knew that Trini, of all people, would choose to be so open about her feelings at a student social?

He supposed he should feel anger, or resentment at least, but he didn't; if anything, he was happy for her that she'd finally found someone she felt comfortable enough with not to care what anyone thought. With him, kisses had always been shared privately - on walks, in the darkness of a movie theater, late at night in front of his or her dorm room. Never where anyone could see. Not that he'd minded; he wasn't one to make his feelings public at the best of times, and while he'd always envied the easiness a little with which Tommy and Kim showed affection to each other, he knew it wasn't for him.

Or maybe I just haven't found the girl yet with whom it would feel right.

Well, Trini wasn't her. It didn't come as a big surprise - they'd sort of drifted into their relationship once they came to the Youth Conference at Geneva. They'd been friends for years, were comfortable with each other, knew about their little quirks and foibles ... once their familiar surroundings were gone, it had seemed natural that they grew closer, beyond friendship. Only, they hadn't, not really; there had always been an unspoken agreement between them that if either well and truly fell in love, they'd part with no regrets or recriminations.

Now that it had happened, though, Jason realized that they had been slightly optimistic. He did regret losing Trini as his companion and confidante; with someone else in the picture now they would inevitably be drifting apart. How could he not regret that?

He glanced once more at Trini and the young man holding her close. Her almond eyes shone even at a distance, and the soft smile around her lips transfixed her face into an expression of dreamy wonder. Jason searched her companion's countenance; he was gratified to see that he seemed equally enraptured by the lithe Asian's beauty.

Shen Vandermeer. I should've known. Well, at least she chose a good guy.

They had met the young man in one of the seminars; he was of Chinese-Dutch descent and not a delegate, but a junior assistant to one of the professors. A few years older than Jason and Trini, he embodied the meaning of his given name, which was 'deep thinker'. Perfectly suited to Trini. Jason smiled, shook his head and left before they realized he was watching them.

*

Jason was standing outside, in the walled garden overlooking Lake Geneva, when he became aware of a familiar presence. Slowly he turned towards the door leading into the room where the social was taking place. There, framed by the light coming from the inside, stood Trini. Even at a distance, Jason could read in her eyes that she knew he'd seen her.

He set down the soda bottle he'd been sipping from and gave her a slight smile. She returned it hesitantly as she glided towards him.

"I'm sorry," Trini murmured.

"Don't be," Jason said.

"But I am. I never meant to hurt you."

"You haven't." Strangely enough, Jason reflected, he even meant it. He wasn't hurt that she'd turned to someone else. A little sad and melancholy, yes, as it left him alone - Zack had found his own new circle of friends - but it was more because of the realization that he hadn't been able to let go of the past as easily as his friends had. Trini had been a big part of that past ever since he'd met her in second grade, ten years ago.

"At least you shouldn't have had to find out like this that ..." she faltered.

"That you've found somebody you like better than me?" he completed for her. Despite his best intentions, he found a small measure of satisfaction in the fact that she glanced momentarily away, a guilty blush staining her cheeks.

"Well ... yeah," Trini admitted in a small voice. Regaining her composure after a few seconds, she laid a slender hand on his arm and looked at him beseechingly. "Please, Jason - I need you to understand that it wasn't /you/; you're a wonderful person, and I care a lot about you. It's just ..."

"It's just that you fell in love with Shen, not with me, huh?"

"Yes," she whispered, hanging her head. Chuckling softly, he lifted her chin.

"Hey, don't sweat it," he soothed. "I understand."

"You do?"

"Uh huh. And for what it's worth, I think you picked a good guy."

"Thank you," Trini said earnestly.

"You're welcome."

The two stared at each other for a few seconds, then Trini sighed and closed the small distance between them. Sliding her arms around Jason's waist, she rested her head on his shoulder in a gesture familiar since they'd started High School, had gotten past the 'girls/boys have cooties' stage together and decided that they could be friends regardless of gender. She felt instantly comforted when Jason easily returned the gesture and enfolded her in a hug. Feeling safe, she ran through a short meditation exercise to calm her nerves, then asked the question that had preyed on her mind ever since she'd realized where her feelings truly lay. "We've been friends for so long, have been through so much together, I really, really like you ... by all rights, you should be the perfect partner for me. Only, you're not. And I have no idea why," she mused. "Why do you think it didn't work for us?"

Jason rubbed his cheek against her sleek black hair, enjoying the smooth texture. "I dunno. Maybe we know each other too well."

"Hmm, could be."

He chuckled softly. "Well, whatever it is, I'm glad I had this time with you, even if it didn't work out."

"Me, too," Trini said. "Jason ... I think I'd never have realized what I feel for Shen is so much more if I hadn't dated you. It was wonderful, it was fun, but ... I think in a way it was too safe." She frowned. "I'm not making much sense."

Jason kissed her temple. "Yes, you are. We're both not exactly adrenaline junkies like some other people I could name -"

"-and whose name either starts with Z and ends with -ack, or with T and ends in -ommy, right?" Trini interrupted him, giggling slightly.

Jason gave her a wry look. "Something like that. Anyway, what I was going to say ... we did have our share of excitement, lots of it, and I don't think that any one of us is ever going to be content with just 'fun', or 'safe'. And that includes Billy."

She mulled it over. "You may be right," she said at last. "Even Shen ... at first glance, he isn't very exciting, but considering that I haven't known him as long as I've known you, that he's older, from another country, that my parents have never met him and I got to know him away from high school or even home ... yeah, it's an adventure, alright."

"Then enjoy it as much as you can," Jason said firmly, giving her shoulders a light squeeze.

"I believe I will," Trini replied, her smile regaining its usual brilliance. "Thanks again, Jase."

"You're welcome. As long as I don't lose you as a friend," he murmured. "Can you promise me that much, at least?"

"Of course. You're too much a part of me; I'd never want to lose that."

"Good. Same here."

"I know."

The two looked at each other for several moments, then Jason smiled and drew Trini against him. "One for the road?" he asked softly. Trini smiled back and nodded. He lowered his head then and kissed her, gently and without passion. Her smooth lips met his willingly, but all he could sense and feel was affection and trust - what he'd always felt when they'd kissed.

Even just watching Trini kiss Shen had shown him that it was no longer enough. Not for her ... and not for him. He would just have to keep searching for the girl or woman who could give him the same kind of passion those two seemed to have found. Whether that was here in Geneva, back home in Angel Grove or somewhere else entirely, Jason couldn't say. He just knew that as of tomorrow, he'd start looking.

*

When they parted, Jason looked up and saw Shen stand in the doorway, a wary expression in his eyes. Slowly, the older man approached them. Jason kept his arm around Trini and waited until he was within earshot.

"You know that if you hurt her, I'll have to hurt /you/," he said conversationally.

Trini gasped and gave him a reproachful look. "Jason! Remember we're Peace Conference delegates!"

Both men ignored her. Jason's face was calm, but implacable, his dark eyes full of warning. Shen's expression never wavered, either.

"Understood," he said quietly. "I'll do my best."

"That's good enough," Jason nodded and took a step away. "Good luck, you two."

Trini was fuming inwardly. Really, did they have to be so macho? Both of them?!? And talk over her head as if she wasn't there? She could damn well take care of herself - she needed neither a keeper nor anyone's permission about what to do with her life! But that discussion was best left to another time, she decided at last. If she said something now, she might create exactly the kind of scene she'd hoped to avoid when Jason found out she'd left him for another. So ...

"Thanks," was all she said, and went to her new boyfriend. He slipped an arm around her waist in a faintly possessive gesture that was surprisingly gratifying. Maybe ... maybe I won't give Jason grief for his big brother routine, after all, she thought. Well ... not much, anyway.

As she walked away, she turned one last time to look at Jason. He was staring out over the lake again, like he'd done when she'd gone after him to explain. His broad frame was silhouetted against the night sky, but where he'd seemed slightly lost before, he appeared strong and self-sufficient now even though he was more alone than before.

He'll be okay. All of a sudden, Trini was certain of that ... and left.

Lost in his thoughts, Jason didn't even notice. He could still feel Trini's lips against his, but the memory was fading fast. He was honestly happy for Trini; she would always be an important part of his past, but she wasn't for him. Trini was right; things /should'v/e worked between them; they'd tried, but despite their best efforts it hadn't.

It's over. Done with. Finis.

Deep down, relief cautiously lifted its head, but Jason wasn't quite ready to acknowledge it; that would have to wait for some other time. Right now, he was more concerned with the immediate future - his future. Which, he was coming to realize, might not lie here in Geneva and at the Youth Peace Summit at all.

Maybe I ought to go home. Lay the ghosts of my past to rest so that I can start fresh. Maybe once I've done that ... one day I'll find someone whose kiss won't be safe, who'll complete me the way Shen completes Trini.

Suddenly, Jason knew exactly what had gone wrong, at least for him - and it had certainly affected his relationship with Trini. Lately, his life had mostly been talk, talk; strange, considering that he'd always been more a man of action.

And the action was back in Angel Grove. Home.

Jason drew a deep breath and determinedly squared his shoulders. That's where he would go.

Sign up to rate and review this story