Categories > Original > Fantasy > Never-ending War

Enter Red Lightning

by Nessrox444 1 review

This is the story of Dan, The Red Lightning. A war started a few years prior and Dan soon discovers that the causes may not be what they appeared to be. Dan must now uncover a conspiricy about the ...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-20 - Updated: 2007-02-21 - 1478 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I created all these characters, the plot, the setting, the story, everything about this story short of the English language was created by me. Never use this story/idea and
claim it as your own. Enjoy!

I'm going to keep writing these stories regardless but I would appreciate feedback on if you like the story and how I can improve it. Please send me feedback.
__________________________________________________________________

Enter Red Lightning

__________________________________________________________________


My name is Dan Edgarn, but my code name is The Red Lightning, or simply Red Lightning. I'm 17 years old. The man sitting next to me is my friend Ryan, though he refuses to tell anyone his last name. His codename is Gunslinger. The man sitting across from me is part of the team but I know so little about him, I don't even know his name. His codename is Sword Dancer. Let me explain, all three of us are in the military of Altair. Right now the other two nations, Gan and the Shell kingdom, are at war. Altair has been lucky to stay out of the war. The nations have been waging war for over 2 years. I guess that may not be important right now, well it is for us. See, there are three branches groups of ground military: the elite which include sword dancer, the magic which include gunslinger and myself, and the common infantry which is everything else. During times of peace the military are the police during times of peace, when they get something they can't handle they call in the magi and elites to pick up their slack. See, during times of war both sides usually try things to make the other side look guilty. The shells for example are the only non-human race in the world, as such they'll try their best to make Gan look evil, through sabotage, killings, etc. and then throw the blame on the Gans. Anyway, right now the three of us are on a train on our way to central Altair to meet up with Boon Ysladxvia, Codename: Sound Master. Apparently there have been a slew of killings that the police can't pin down, so like I said, we're called out when the police can't figure this kind of crap out on their own. I also have another objective of my own, get a mana leaf herb for my sister and one has been spotted near the town we're going to.

"Why are we so silent?" Ryan asked.

"I hadn't noticed." Dan replied.

"We're slowing down." Sword Dancer said.

The train pulled into the station, stopping just as Sword Dancer predicted.

"How do you know this stuff?" Ryan asked

Sword Dancer didn't respond, he just got up from his seat and exited the train.

"What's his problem?" Ryan asked Dan. Neither of them responded they both got up and exited the train. The three of them looked around the station until Sword Dancer spotted a man in a military uniform. The three went up to the man and introduced themselves.

"Oh so you're the three sent to assist me? I wouldn't have guessed from your uniforms." It was, of course, a joke. Dan is wearing black boots, black pants, and a generic blue long-sleeved shirt. Ryan is wearing black shoes, black pants, a black short sleeve shirt, and a white long coat that went down a little past his knees. Sword Dancer is wearing black, brown and red plate armor and an eye patch over his right eye. Boon on the other hand was wearing the standard military uniform, a blue and green uniform with his ranks and merits on the right shoulder.

"Anyway let's go to the latest crime scene it's only a few blocks away." Boon told them. They began walking, none of them saying a word to each other. Dan observed how the buildings were arranged; every house on the street is the same until there was a road. Then the next one was changed to a new design and color. Suddenly Boon stopped, and so did the rest of them. The area was sealed off by signs and some of the military were there.

"You can leave now, we'll handle it from here." Boon told the officers.

"All yours." One of the officers said as they left.

"Well here it is, the body has a large blast hole in the chest, almost completely through to the other side, and multiple stab wounds in the chest and head." Boon explained "There's also the signature water covering the body thing that has been known as the calling card of this bastard." Boon said in disgust.

"Spread out and look for evidence that could lead us to whoever it is." Sword Dancer said. They spread around looking for any evidence, they found nothing. "I figured it out; this is the work of a magi, and a low level one at that. The blast to the chest is done with highly concentrated water, like a cannon ball made of steel detonated at close range, which also explains the water surrounding the body." Sword Dancer told them.

"How do you know all this crap?" Ryan asked. He briefly saw Sword Dancer put his eye patch back on.

"I'm just that good." Sword Dancer said, without a hint of bragging in his voice. "I think new should split up and search, find a way to lure out this bastard out and take him down. Sound Master, who are his common victims?" Sword Dancer asked.

"He primarily attacks people alone, at night, though the locations are completely random." Boon told them.

"Right then, it's rather cloudy out, plus it's almost night time. We'll be staying at the military base in town I assume, so let's split up and make our way there. Maybe we'll get lucky and catch him. Remember his specialty is a highly pressurized close range water attacks and catching you off guard so be careful." Sword Dancer said walking off.

"Guess this is goodbye for now, see you guys in half an hour." Boon said walking off.

"I'm going to find out how Sword Dancer does it if it's the last thing I do. I'll see ya soon Dan." Ryan said walking off in a different direction.

"That only leaves me with one direction..." Dan sighed. He walked through a back alley and emerged a block away. He crossed through another alley before he started to suspect that he was being followed. He turned around, the alley was dark. Just like a stereotypical alley Dan thought, dark and trashy. He could tell someone was there so he focused his energy in his hands and fired a flare down the alley to see. He saw a figure dart behind some cover and then attempt to flee.

"Oh no you don't!" he yelled following the figure. He chased after the figure, he could see it was wearing black, tattered robes. He closed in on it and almost had his left arm taken off. A highly pressurized water ball hit his arm, but, all that fell off was a wrist blade he had pre-attached. "Now I'm pissed!" he yelled, closing the distance between them and extending a wrist blade on his right hand. The tip of the blade was inches from the figure's neck. "I want answers, take off that damn cloak." He demanded. The figure complied by dropping the robe to reveal a man with black hair, tan skin and red eyes. The figure jumped back and threw knives at Dan. Dan jumped behind cover to avoid the oncoming knives. "I don't have time for this." He said to himself. He rolled out into the open, and the man threw more knives at him. Dan held his hands out and suddenly red lightning shot out at each of the blades, turning them into ash in midair. "Are you going to come quietly now?!?" Dan demanded to know. The man was in shock, he knew he was beaten but instead of giving up he pulled out a final knife, and cut his throat. His body fell over limp, bleeding uncontrollably. "Oh shit... this isn't going to go over well." Dan raced to one of the public phones on the street and called up HQ.

"We'll be right there." Was all Sword dancer said on the matter.

You think this is crap a 17 year old like me shouldn't have to deal with right? Well... I think so too, but I have my reasons....

__________________________________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed the story :-D. I plan on writing more too. Be sure to read my other works too: Ancient Grudge: War of the Empire, and Age of Psychics.

Special thanks to: NOONE HAH I came up with this on my own (of course all authors have influences but I don't think listing them would be worthwhile, plus they didn't directly help me with the story).
Sign up to rate and review this story