Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Celestial Zone

Flight, Fight, Flight (or Something Like that)

by Wen 1 review

Harry needs to live his life. Harry needs something over the Dark Lord. Harry needs a reason to live. Know what? He gets it. Crossed with The Celestial Zone, H/Hr. Rated for violence (quite a bit),...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover - Characters: Dumbledore, Fudge, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Ron, Voldemort - Warnings: [!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2005-09-19 - Updated: 2005-09-19 - 4540 words

0TrainWreck

Harry Potter and the Celestial Zone
Chapter 7
5th July 2005


In the second week of term, McGonagall called Ginny, Ron and Harry to her office, "we need a new quidditch captain, and players. As I'm sure you realize, Angelina, Alicia, and Katie finished last year, and the two that played beater last season aren't very good." She paused here and watched Harry and Ginny wait impassively, while Ron blinked the information in.

"While I am willing to have passable players in the team, I wish for better players to ... compete. The quidditch captaincy is between the three of you, and I want trials within a fortnight." She dismissed them with Ron taking captaincy of the team and Ginny as advisor.

---

"What's up with you Harry? Were you even awake?" Ron had actually noticed he didn't say anything; he was impressed, "no Ron, I heard everything she said, and everything she did not. I have other things to do; things that are more important than quidditch. You and Ginny will be fine, I'll play Seeker, and we'll win the cup again."

Ginny frowned at his casual tone, but decided it was actually time to change the subject before Ron put both his feet in his mouth and choked, "So do you have any ideas for positions?" Ron started off down a list he'd seemingly memorized, while Harry waited before voicing his opinion, "I believe there are a set of twins in second year who have a stronger connection than usual and so possible replacements for Fred and George.

"Alternatively the 3rd years have some close friendships which could also be put to use for long term beaters. For short term, there's a 7th year with good co-ordination and excellent hitting skills. That leaves 2 Chaser positions to fill. For short term, we can use 5th years and above; I personally want to see how good Hermione actually is, since we've never actually seen her fly before.

Ron laughed madly at that idea but Harry shut him up with a quick silencing charm, "from there, we have several 2nd and 3rd years with good aim or good throw. I believe there is one in 2nd year with both, while the first years have potential; so next year you cede the Captaincy to Ginny so she can recruit those 1st years that'll be 2nd years then.

"More importantly, McGonagall seems to have grown quite attached to the cup, with good reason too. As your best seeker, I suggest you make a proposal to McGonagall for multiple squads. The first is the main playing squad, where we are and we train at all training sessions. The second 7 are the reserves; they train with us most of the time, to give all of us plenty of experience, at the same time readying them for actual games. The last 7 are 1st through 3rd years that show potential; these are the "future" squad that we hope will replace us eventually, and so will practice with us as well, most of the time."

Ginny winced, "so explain again why you didn't take the captaincy? You seem to have analyzed Mac G better than both of us put together. And on your idea, where exactly are we going to get the brooms for them all? It's not like their parents are going to afford them firebolts or anything you know?"

Harry frowned, "no comment on your first point. I received a letter from Gringotts earlier today, detailing various tasks I have to complete soon. I will speak with the headmaster later to get some time off to visit the goblins. Depending on how things go at the try-outs, I may get us the brooms then. Alternatively we could have them delivered through Fred and George within the month."

---

Hermione put her book down gently, reminding herself through her frustrations that books were precious things not meant to be treated harshly, "Harry, exactly how can you study like that? It's a Friday night and we've been at it almost 5 hours! Even I am getting sick of it." Harry looked up from his arithmacy equations and chuckled, "magic is a wonderful thing isn't it?"

He laughed at her confused expression and put away his work, "I'm working on a particularly large project of mine that I meant to complete earlier this summer but couldn't find the time. I guess I got caught up in the lycanthrope curse formulae." He almost laughed at her goggling expression, "alright, I'll take a break; need some sleep any way."

Hermione picked up her books and had just turned to the window on her way to her dorm, when Harry pulled her into a hug, "I've never seen you fly before, you know? How about showing me, say, tomorrow morning while everyone's asleep perhaps?" Hermione closed her eyes, leaning into his comfort, "caught me eh? Alright, tomorrow morning 7AM." She hugged him goodnight and walked up to her dorm.

---

Harry was down before time with his firebolt. Noticing Hermione's absence, he summoned his other project, and went back to working on his multi-stopper spell, as he called it. He'd decided early on to ask Professor Flitwick if he ever needed help with it, and his arrival only cemented that in Harry's mind.

Fortunately, Harry had gotten most of it together. The only problem was working the rope bindings in: if he wanted just that, or with one other element, it was fine. But put any more in and it just took everything down. Harry sighed; perhaps it actually was time to ask flitwick. Just then, Hermione bounded down the stairs quietly and sat down across from him.

Harry grinned, why hadn't he thought of it before? He pushed the parchment towards Hermione, "Hey, I can't get the Incarcerous in with the rest. I'm trying to put a 5-bind spell together, bind, gag, petrify, stun, and multi-vision. Could you give me a hand? "Hermione blinked, she'd mentally prepared to fly, not to work! Where was Harry getting off working like this??

Harry noticed the slight frown that had flashed across Hermione's face and realized what he'd done wrong, "Sorry, we're supposed to be flying right? We can work on this later and maybe ask Professor Flitwick. You can use the firebolt, I can fly without aid." He quickly banished his parchment and quills to his trunk and ushered Hermione out the portrait hole.

---

"Wow! I still can't get over what you've been holding out on Hermy, how could you not tell us you could fly like that?" Hermione laughed at Harry as they walked back to the castle from the pitch. She'd been brilliant; her difficulty was getting up in the air. Once there, she was an absolute natural; diving, looping, spirals, she wasn't as good as he was, but she was still better than most players Harry had seen.

"Well, I've explained the quidditch thing already. I really don't want to play such a sport; I'm more likely to end up in hospital at deaths door." Harry grinned at her, "I don't think so; tell you what, Ron's going to form another 2 squads, though only 2 of the 3 will be allowed to play. If you take, say, Chaser or Seeker positions on either squad, you can keep the Firebolt." Hermione was shocked, "But Harry! It was from Sirius! He'd want you to use it; not me. "

Harry grinned at her, "I'm sure he'd have been proud I got my best friend the bookworm to play quidditch, even if it cost me the firebolt." Hermione sighed, she just couldn't say no to him; she shuddered, realizing that whatever he wanted, anything at all, that she could, she'd have given it to him; right then when he pulled her close.

_

"NO WA...!!" Harry instinctively silenced him again, and made tried to get Ron to lower his voice, "yes, I got her out for a fly this morning, and she is good. No doubts about it. I think either chaser or seeker; she will get shot at more at keeper or beater. Against her better judgment of course, or so she'd tell you, but she should be on the 2nd team. Just a formality, I can assure you, but she'll be at the try-outs."

Ginny chose that moment to sidle in, catching the last bits of the conversation, and joined in hushed tones, "Who? Is she that good?" Harry grinned at her, "oh yes, she definitely is." Ginny blinked but didn't respond because Neville chose that moment to plonk himself down in front of the sausages.

---

"Alright Harry, I'm surprised you actually got this far, though perhaps I shouldn't be with your recent study habits." Hermione grinned at him, "the incarcerous wasn't meant to go with anything to start with, although the bind-and-gag spell is an exception. I would recommend a separate binding spell, perhaps a cloth bind? We should still ask Professor Flitwick though, he'll know better."

Harry nodded and turned to the front, waiting for the small professor to walk in. They were in the advanced Charms classroom, waiting for everyone else. Quite a few people had gotten into the class, though rumor was that few felt it worth taking again. Soon, Professor Flitwick came in, true to form, half an hour early. Harry quickly stood and approached the diminutive Charms Master about his question.

_

"Ok Harry, you just need an incantation that fits the spell. If it doesn't fit the equation won't work out properly, like if it was Arrestus Momentus, it would possibly take more concentration to pull off because focusing on the effects will be so much harder compared to the actual Arresto Momentum." Hermione was helping Harry complete his binding spell.

Professor Flitwick had suggested using something else, since there were so many others available. Harry had chosen a hand/arm binder that held the victims appendages together behind him. The last modification had been to bind the appendages before the freezing spell came into full effect. "Right, the incantation therefore is 'Arrestazz', and the counter will be 'Kvada Adavra', poetic justice you think?" Harry thought it was funny, but Hermione changed it, "'Crustio' I think. Perhaps a healing sort of spell for your counter."

Harry smiled at her; she really did come up with the brightest ideas. He put in the incantations and reviewed the calculations; he wanted the spell to be perfect on paper at least before he tried it out, that would be disastrous. Fortunately they were, and Neville walked into the common room right at that moment, "Hey Nev! Come over a bit?" Neville blinked, he'd been hoping to get in a snog or two with Ginny, but obliged Harry anyway.

"We're trying out a new spell I've been on for a while and were wondering if you'd do us the honor of being the first test subject?" Neville paled, "Erm, no offence Harry, but you're new to the subject and I've heard of terrible things that can go wrong in those spells." Hermione laughed behind Harry, "It's alright Neville, I've looked over the spell already and Professor Flitwick too. Worst case, I think, is that you'll need an awakening draft."

Neville winced again, but agreed. Casting a cushioning charm behind Neville, Harry prepared, focusing himself for the spell, "Arrestazz!" A soft red light beam hit Neville square in the chest, and he fell backwards, protected by the cushioning charm. Out of nowhere, he was suddenly bound, gagged, frozen, and unconscious. Harry checked him over before removing the 4 obvious bindings individually, so as not to disturb the multi-vision hex.

Hermione flicked her wand and Neville opened his eyes, "Wow, what was that? I mean, I don't feel anything!" He paused, reorienting himself, "Why are there 8 of you Harry? And why are there 4 staircases?" Harry laughed and cast the overall diffuser, "Finite Incantatem. That Neville, is the last part of it. I had you bound and gagged by bits of metal, no less, the stunned and frozen. The multi-vision is a safeguard, which will impede the escapees' progress, even if he or she discovers which vision spell was used."

The entire common room, which had been watching the demonstration, applauded. Harry gestured for quiet and spoke, "I haven't completed the spell yet, and hope to add a silencing charm and or sensory elimination hex. I also do not want any news of this spread anywhere else, including portraits. It can be something of a secret weapon if you're in a duel." He smiled and everyone whooped and cheered.

---

Silence reigned over the entire great hall. It was unprecedented, apart from the tournaments. Dumbledore had announced a dueling competition, including the staff. A moment, two, and suddenly the whole hall burst into action. The Slytherians converged on Professor Snape to put their names in, Hufflepuffs gave their names to a 7th year prefect, Charmaine; Ravenclaw looked at Cho, waiting for her reaction, then joined her in frenzied entry.

Only Gryffindor remained calm through out, apart from some first years. Gradually, pieces of parchment of names, years and houses (Gryffindor) filtered their way down to Harry. He himself entered, if for nothing else than just for the slight chance that he could take Draco down several more pegs. He waited till he caught McGonagall's eye before indicating he'd submit the names after breakfast.

People left for their classes, all the while having to listen to Malfoy brag about how he was going to whip the competition all the way. Harry laughed to himself and flicked a finger, causing Draco to trip over his own feet before walking away, "Can't win if you trip Malfoy."

---

"Remus! How are you? Not at breakfast? Are you entering the competition?" Remus Lupin smiled at the young man. Harry had indeed matured; becoming the confidence he exuded so little before, "Yes Harry, I'm competing too. I felt like having a lie in and so had Dobby bring me some breakfast, thanks to which I'm actually feeling much better than before."

Harry smiled and took his seat waiting for the class to start. Malfoy strutted in, taking a seat near the back, still bragging to everyone who would listen. Remus closed the doors, "Class, who can tell me about Lethifolds and, more specifically, what can kill them?" Hermione's hand immediately shot up with many others and Remus called her, "Professor, Lethifolds cannot be killed. They are driven away by the Patronus charm, similar to Dementors, which has led to speculation about the two being related."

Remus smiled at her, "Wrong I'm afraid. It is true that they are affected by the Patronus charm, and have been speculated to be related closely to the Dementor. However, unlike the Dementor, a Lethifold was killed earlier this year. It was killed by a shredding curse developed quite recenty in China. It has been adapted for us, but it basically shredded the creature, which promptly evaporated. Now, who can tell me the incantation for the spell?"

This time, only Harry raised his hand, "The curse used was actually an crude combination of bone shattering, shredding, and exploding curses; favoring brute strength over finesse. The curse has now been refined into a combination of that involves freezing more than burning, although the makers are keeping close mouthed about it. The fact that the designers are against Fudge kind of explains why it hasn't been put in the prophet."

The class was very quiet after that till Malfoy yelled out, "So now scar head's sucking up the teacher to gain more screen time? If you keep showing the mudblood up you won't get any you know?" Harry turned round, "well Malfoy, as a start to hopefully not our last duel ever, KADIS!" a flash of light erupted, and suddenly Malfoy was sitting there with a stunned look on his face, and a hand on his crotch, "How could you???" the entire class burst out in laughter; Malfoy's voice was several octaves too high!

"Just a sample Malfoy, just a sample." Harry grinned and sat again, "I know you have to take points, professor, but I find it hard to believe that people think Malfoy got anything right there." Remus sighed, "10 points, please try to restrain yourself next time." He waved his wand and a space cleared in the front of the classroom, revealing a large cupboard.

Remus brought the class's attention back to himself, "We're going to be studying weapons defense this year as well, possibly next year depending on how things go. Now, I'm going to call you to the front where you'll choose your weapon of choice. Abbot, Hannah!"

That went smoothly enough, with Malfoy grabbing a battle axe and swinging it around experimentally. Of course, it was entirely coincidence that he destroyed several desks on his way back. "Potter, Harry." Remus looked expectantly at him; Harry stood and walked to the front of the class, "I already have a sword professor, care to test?" Harry swept his arm sideways and summoned his spirit sword.

Remus stared for a few moments before taking a long sword out of the cupboard, "lets see what you can do then Harry." Remus lunged at Harry, but the target was already moving, "Celestial Solar Dragon Formula: Celestial Dragon Strike!" it was one of the most basic strikes that he'd learnt back when learning with Xing Yun. While the Celestial Dragon Thunder Flame brought in several hundred hits, the Strike used only a fraction of it, perfect for a beginner learning to execute multiple attacks using internal energy in one stroke.

Remus turned just in time, but the long sword was cut to pieces, he himself sustaining several smaller cuts, "very good, I can tell you're familiar with sword work, even with magic in it. I myself didn't get anywhere with it till a year out of Hogwarts; care to co-teach? I'm somewhat rusty with the sword myself." Harry smiled, "we can talk about that after class perhaps?" Hermione chose a gnarled staff, Ron chose a long sword like Remus's, and Neville took a pair of daggers.

---

The class went unusually well after that; Malfoy was somewhat subdued after being shown up and made no further intimidation moves. Harry watched Neville carefully; if there was anyone he thought had potential for the Celestial Arts, it was Neville. Since the revelation of the prophecy, Harry wondered exactly how much power Neville really had over the others. Of course that his own was still barely a trickle didn't amount to much.

Hermione's was pretty predictable; the staff was always associated with the learned types with a certain amount of power, and Harry believed that her ability with the books actually stemmed from her magical reserves more than anything else. Of course, she also seemed to have some basic skill with the staff, evidenced in the way she wielded it, not terribly graceful or swift, but the foundation was solid.

Ron was a bit of an enigma. Harry new his frame would allow him to put considerable physical power into any single strike, but he seemed unable to use the sword properly; his strokes were fine, for a beginner, but there was something about it that just didn't connect with him. Sighing, he decided he'd have to check further later, perhaps Ron had potential for the Celestial Arts as well.

He dueled with some others in the class, careful not to use his inner energies, and especially not the celestial formulae. It was an odd numbered class, so that was easy enough to pull off, and after his display earlier, he felt he didn't need to prove any more. Draco was a cartoon in his own right though, and that made watching all the better as he watched the Malfoy heir struggle with the axe's weight and length.

---

Harry walked into Dumbledore's office that weekend, but the headmaster wasn't there. Instead, Fawks flew over with a note in his claws; something urgent had come up and Dombledore wanted to deal with it as soon as possible. Harry sighed and gripped Fawks's tail feathers tightly in his hand and the phoenix flashed.

Harry went through the briefest sensation of incredible speed, not unlike his Celestial Teleportation, and he was in the lobby of the goblin bank. Drawing his letter from his trunk with a flick of his wrist, Harry approached a counter, Fawks on his shoulder. The goblin studied him with an air of clear disinterest, "Yes Mr. Potter? What can Ginggots do for you today?"

Harry raised an eyebrow at the goblin's choice of words, and his eyes flashe briefly, causing the goblin's breath to hitch, "this letter, I believe, should explain it. Please do not take longer than is needed? I wish to conclude several errands quickly." The teller read the letter quickly and nodded in respect, "We will begin shortly, please follow me." With that, the goblin led Harry to a posh looking door, snapping his fingers along the way before seating Harry in the waiting room.

There was just one other in the room, and Harry did not recognize him, "My apologies, sir, may I inquire as to who you are?" the man looked at Harry with interest, and Harry hid his scar quickly with a small glamour charm, "I go by the name Abbot. And you are?" Harry never got the chance to answer, "Mr. Potter sir, we are ready. If you would walk this way, we will execute the wills." The goblin turned his body round and strutted off. Harry blinked, wondering what exactly what was going on, "Well Mr. Abbot, as you heard, I'm Harry Potter. Nice meeting you." And he strutted off in almost an exact replica of the goblin before him, leaving a stunned Darius Abbot in the waiting room.

---

"I am Lord Garith, Mr Potter, manager for Gringgots London. I'm sure you are wondering just why it is me doing the ritual instead of a more ordinary goblin. Just so you know what you are in for, we operate in terms of respect according to gold. And the amount of gold alone you stand to inherit is definitely worth my while." The goblin lord was definitely that, Garith stood twice as tall as the goblin tellers and looked to have twice the power too; Harry's aura sensors also told him Garith had something hidden, not a secret or anything like that, just something.

Harry inclined his head contemplatively, "I see. Perhaps we could go through this with all honesty, Lord Garith? We'd hate for any embaressment on either of our parts, would we not?" Harry dropped 3 drops of his blood into an invisible thimble he'd just conjured. Garith seemed to be lost in thought, and then pulled up his right sleeve. Harry though he was going to be looking at the Dark Mark, but that was on the left, and this was on the Goblin's elbow, "the goblin royalty mark. We are firmly against Voldemort, though we're more on our own than anything else. Understandable, seeing that we can finance ourselves."

Harry nodded; anyone against Voldemort was good enough for him. Loyalty to Dumbledore may have been a mark against them, but it wasn't too bad. He extended his blood, dropping it slowly onto a piece of enchanted parchment, he watched as the blood marks formed words, describing the statistics of the line's he would be inheriting from, "there seem to be several houses here, sir. Could there be a mistake? I was only aware of the Potter and Black lines that I'd be inheriting from."

Garith sighed, "Wars are bad Harry; they destroy so many lives, families, entire lines even. Most of these lines her are small, not worth the amount the Black line is, for example, but some are actually worth a good bit. For example, the Quinstin line over there? Through it you get roughly 40% of the then Lava, now Fire, broom making firm. There is more of course, but that should be the most interesting."

Harry grinned to himself, it was a good thing the quidditch trials had gone so well...

Flash back start...
"Harry she's a MENACE! She nearly brained me on the shot!" Harry laughed at Ron's expression. Hermione had taken a shot at the goals and Ron had instinctively moved to block. At almost the last moment, he'd swerved to avoid the head bound shot, which took off several red hairs any way.

The end result was Hermione on the 2nd string Chaser position, joined by Kerry from the 4th years, and Gerald, a 3rd year. Colin and Denis Creevy made beater on the first team, while Kirke and Slopper moved to 2nd string beater. Ron stayed as 1st string keeper, while Ginny moved to Chaser/Seeker with he himself Seeker/Chaser. Katrina and her brother Kenneth made 1st string Chasers, rounding out the 1st string, while the 2nd string was rounded out by Peache Wood at keeper, and Charles at Seeker.

The 1st years showed a lot of promise, but it was agreed they were still too young to tell. For that reason, Harry settled for brooms sufficient for 2 teams, with some unused at some time. When the players left the team, or Hogwarts, the brooms would stay in Gryffindor house for future teams.
Flashback End...

Harry was brought out of his reviere by another goblin pushing a stack of parchment at him, "Mr. Potter, in order to finalize your inheriting of these assets, you need to sign these papers. In particular, Fire requests a visit as soon as possible. It may also interest you, but you now own several mines all over the world, and this one in Africa requests a visit from you within the year." Harry finished signing the papers and raised an eyebrow, "All these visits you keep telling me about; wouldn't it be better if you gave me actual addresses?"

The goblin shut up pretty quick and gave him a short list of the various establishments requesting his presence. He gave them a once over and memorized the Fire address before requesting a portkey to them after he had a look at his vaults.

_

The ride down passed swiftly, and soon Harry was standing in the Potter vault, number 52, gaping at the enormous piles of gold, silver, and bronze. Shaking himself out of his stupor, he moved further to the back of the vault, putting the family ring into his pocket. He moved back out, noting the various books and artifact that seemed to call to him.

They next moved to the Black vault, where as he watched, several mounds of gold disappeared. Upon questioning the goblin, he ordered all transactions out of any Black vault be halted indefinitely. He moved to the back and took the family ring there as well, clinically observing the portraits and such that lined the walls along the way.

After saying his goodbyes, Harry stepped outside the bank, teleportation ready. The Firebolt makers were about to get a big bit of business if they played their cards right.

===

A/N: Now I'm sure you're thinking I've done the unthinkable and made Harry a god of sorts, influencing everything around him at a whim. I'm not, you'll see later that he's just more powerful than most.
Sign up to rate and review this story