Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > Surreal

6. Sign

by panda_1418 3 reviews

Look for them; notice them

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Published: 2007-03-08 - Updated: 2007-03-09 - 1218 words

1Exciting
Chapter Six - Sign

Finally. Today was the day Julius had been waiting for for what seemed like forever: the end of the week; Friday. He woke up that morning, feeling the best he had in a long time. Even if it was raining violently outside, and the trees were bent so far back they looked just about ready to snap. No matter how horrible the weather was, nothing could spoil this Friday for Julius.

Julius got up extra-early today, so he could enjoy as much of the game as possible. He walked down the hall, whistling cheerily, not bothering about the weird looks he got. How could someone possibly be so happy on such a shitty day? Easy - today was the day Roger's "babysitting" was officially over.

Almost as soon as he had taken the first bite of his cereal, Scarlett's voice came over the intercom. "Delilah and Julius, please report to the Big Man's office."

Normally, this would have ticked the hell out of him, but today was different. It meant he and Delilah would finally get some alone time, and it was his chance to make her forget about Roger Davies.

As Julius walked into Al's office, the first thing he noticed was Delilah sitting there, looking rather peeved (/Probably ruined a moment with/ Roger/,/ Julius thought bitterly). Then, he saw Al - or at least the top of his head from behind a massive pile of paper sitting on his desk.

"Oh, hey, kiddo," Al greeted him.

"What's with you trying to recreate Mount Everest out of paper?" Julius asked. Delilah grinned and chuckled.

Al gave an exasperated sigh. "I should have known better than to trust Emmet and Ursula. They were supposed to save the Archbishop of Canterbury from an assassination attempt, but ended up arresting him. And now I'm stuck with the paperwork. Do you know how much the GIB charges to modify the minds of an entire country?"

He gave the spies a glare as they burst into laughter. "Anyway, dudes, here's the problem: Dr Dismay's, like, trying to poison the water supply of England. You'll have to head to London and catch him at the water treatment plant."

As they left the office, Delilah whispered in his ear, "If it was Ursula and Emmet, they'd probably help Dr Dismay pour it into the water."

Good, she still has her sense of humour.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

After Scarlett had handed out their gadgets - retractable, small grapple hook, pipe and dart covered in a serum that, upon entering the bloodstream, induced symptoms that could remind you of being drunk, candy-sized bombs, and various other materials - Delilah and Julius were sitting on a plane heading for jolly old England.

Julius glanced at his partner, and noticed she looked distressed. She kept tugging on her clothes, twirling her hair, drumming her fingers, anything to keep her hands busy. That's odd ... he thought, but turned to look out the window.

Suddenly, the pilot's voice filled the silence in the cabin. "Agents, we're now almost directly above the water treatment facility. Prepare to jump."

"Come on, De," Julius murmured as he grabbed her wrist and pulled her upright.

They both put on their parachutes, and the back hatch of the place opened. They waited for the green light, and then, "COWABUNGA!!!"

Julius could never truly get over the thrill of skydiving. Having the wind come rushing in your face, the dizzying height you fell from, and yelling your head off was impossible to find boring. At the right height, they pulled their shoots and drifted to the ground.

Once inside the plant, they had their chance to look around. Directly in front of them was a rushing vortex of water, running at an incredible speed to the treatment part through a half pipe that had to be 20 feet in diameter. On the other side of the tank was the good doctor, ranting about his plan to his silent partner.

"That's right, Nurse, once I drop this sweet solution into the water, BOOM baby! We're made! All the most horrid waterborne diseases and bacteria will be released into London! Cholera, typhoid, polio, hepatitis A, SRSV, just to name a few. And when the weak and sickly want the antidote, who are they going to come begging to? Me, baby! And I'll be happy to give it to them ... for a price!"

Delilah caught Julius' eyes and rolled hers. He snickered, but too loud. Dr Dismay glanced their way.

"Ahh, Peachy and Keen, what a pleasant surprise." He stood up and took the cap off a small vile he held in his hand. "One step closer, and this goes in the water. Then there's nothing you can do to stop it. Not even spies can fight bacteria."

As he prepared to pour the green solution into the water, Delilah took a few big steps back. "No worries, I'll get him!"

She began to sprint as fast as she could towards the gap with flowing water underneath it, overcome by some illusion that she could jump the distance. Julius freaked out, and, at the last second, cannoned into his partner, knocking her to the floor. He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her upright.

"Delilah!" he screamed. "What the fuck are you on?! That's, like, a twenty-foot gap! How the hell did you think you could jump it?! Did it not occur to you that's maybe just a little dangerous?"

She looked at him like he was mentally challenged. "It's not that far of a jump, Jules. God, don't be such a spaz."

But he wasn't listening. Dismay was just about ready to dump the poison into the water. Grabbing the retractable "snatcher" (as he named it on the plane) Julius fired it in the direction of the doctor. It grasped the vile and yanked it from his grasp.

"Dammit!" Dr Dismay cursed, as he began to run.

Julius dug out the pipe and darts, and quickly shot one in Dr Dismay's direction. It hit him square in the neck. In a matter of seconds, he was running around in circles, pulling of his clothes, howling, "The stripper's here! The stripper's here! Keep the ladies offa me, I need some ROOM!"

Raising one eyebrow, Julius sighed. "Scarlett, I think you went a little overboard on that one."

Behind him, Delilah was fishing through her bag for something. She pulled out a package, but dropped it. As she gasped, Julius turned around, remembering her insane attempt a few seconds ago.

"And YOU! We are going to have a serious talk when we get home. That was freaking crazy, Delilah. I don't know what your problem is, but get it fixed before our next mission."

She nodded meekly, and watched him as he walked away. When she was sure he was far enough from her, she slowly opened her hand and let the small baggie fall to the palm of her other. She popped two candy-like tablets out of the bag and quickly stuck them in her mouth. How had she ever lived without E?

"Sure, it has some side-effects," Delilah muttered to herself. "I could have sworn that jump was only a foot or so ... But nothing like that will ever happen again. That was just a freak accident."

=================================================================

Synonyms for /Sign/: condition, symptoms, disorder, problem
Sign up to rate and review this story