Categories > Original > Drama > Dare To Dream

Hollywood is not all it seems

by Bricougalle_Bug 0 reviews

So they've got away, but now what?

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2007-03-20 - Updated: 2007-03-20 - 1068 words

0Unrated
Chapter 12

The pearly white hoofs of the unicorns crunched onto the almost plastic like grass of a foreign land, as they came to a halt. The unicorns neighed in joy and the teenager's heads lifted in awww at the sight of the colossal Hollywood placard that gleamed in the far distance. Just like you see on TV.
The unicorns trotted over and stopped in front of a busy motorway. The children gazed in amazement at the sight of all the shiny multi-coloured cars which plundered smoothly by. Miraculously not a soul noticed them standing, gleaming in the suns shadows. The air had a new smell to it, warm and honey like. The sun beat down heavily onto them and they looked up to see the big star gleaming back at them. The sky was clear blue, and it looked like a blank sheet of new sugar paper.
In the distance they could see the dry heat waves flying off the skyscrapers and shiny glass buildings in the distance, the roofs almost touched the fluffy clouds they had just flown in. Jess cried out.
"Well, we're here!"
They dismounted their winged steeds and patted their silky necks. Summer gently tried to lead Bricougalle further but he stood firmly still and neighed, she looked back.
"Aren't you coming?" She asked softly, but Bricougalle just stood and stared back at her with the most beautiful eyes, but he looked sad. He almost seemed to be saying,
"Sorry I've taken you this far. I can't come any further." And the other unicorns did the same. So they all kissed their flying beauties goodbye and slowly turned to walk towards their new home. Only to turn around a few seconds later to find that all five unicorns had flown away, back into the sky.

They strolled curiously towards the town taking in the details of freedom! The cars poured poisonous smoke heavily down the road, the palm trees swayed calmly in the city air. The people stared as the strangely dressed children emerged into the town.
The sweet smell of ice cream filled their noses, reminding them how long it had been since their last meal. Their steps grew heavy as they came to a cake stall filled with brightly coloured sponge cakes and creamy brown caramel fudge.
Their mouths dripped as they drooled in hunger, staring at the food.
"I'm soooo hungry," Laurance grumbled, he slurped up hid drool before it landed on the pavement.
"James, have you got any spare cash?" Asked Summer.
"No sorry," James answered casually, trying not to show his ache for cake.
"What!" Mel yelled fiercely,
"So we're stuck here with no money!"
"Ermmm," everyone moaned, as they scraped every hair and piece of fluff out their pockets in desperation.
"We can't live with no fucking money!" Jess yelled, followed by Summer.
"So what do we do then?" She asked.
"Get a job," James sighed, he launched his feet towards the city centre.
They soon stopped in yet another tramp ridden street, behind the big, shiny rich cover; most of the people actually living here were homeless, scrounging the streets for jobs, or looking to get famous. At the back of one of the dark, slimy alleyways there was a pile of old cardboard boxes.
"Accommodation," James insisted. Everyone's minds flipped over and their dreams of happiness and riches smashed piece by piece on their faces.
"What?!" They echoed one by one at each other.
"This is not funny," Mel snarled.
"What happened to job?" The two other girls agreed.
"Can't you think of anything else?...Abandoned buildings, perverted tramp infested streets, not exactly home sweet home!"
James wandered a bit further down the street; the pavements were used as local skips. Old tattered bits of sofa and broken washing machines lay around aimlessly. He started to sift through some heaps of rat infested rubbish.
"Yuk, what are you doing James?" said Jess. James glared at Jess, the big silver rings in his fingers flashed like his eyes.
"Well if you have a better idea..." he replied, Jess shut up. After a bit he finally emerged with two objects clutched in his fist.
"Look at these," he said proudly. The first was an ancient child's toy keyboard, with about twenty notes, some of them all clogged up with mud and slime and who knows what else. And in the other hand was what could have been a long time ago, a first class banjo. Two of the strings had broken, but it wasn't that bad, some of the varnish had cracked but there were some pretty faded roses painted onto the side.
"Let's start a band!" said James,
"Laurance and me have always wanted to," he admitted.
"We could busk for money." Jess snorted in disgust.
"What with those two pieces of shit," she gestured at the keyboard and banjo. James sighed again,
"Well improvise; it can be a junk band. I'm sure you can all find some objects which make sounds, it's not exactly hard."
And so a junk band it was. They walked around the back streets, searching through piles and piles of useless garbage and broken objects. Well, the three girls did, Laurance didn't want to chip his carefully applied nail varnish. In the end, Melissa chose the keyboard, Laurance took the banjo. Jess made a set of drums with different saucepans and plastic bins, which she waked with gusto using two wooden sticks. James chose the wind chimes and milk bottles, and Summer, who couldn't find anything to her taste decided to be the lead singer. At first they hardly got anything, but after their first night on the streets, freezing to death and starving, they decided they could go on no longer without money. They tried playing on the flashier, business looking side of the town. And the next afternoon when they had almost given up for the day, a young cool, fashion designer looking man came up and handed them a poster. It read...
Band auditions; record deal assured. Bands need talent, style and attitude. Auditions from Sunday to Wednesday in the Blue Waves hotel, west side of Hollywood.
"Yes! Let's go for it!" Cried Summer.
"We passed the Blue Waves building on the way here," said Melissa,
"I know where it is."
"Well...There is no harm in trying for it is there," said Jess.
"After all...You never know."
Sign up to rate and review this story