Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Down the road, not across the street

Why don't you show me that little bit of spine you've been saving for his mattress.

by grandtheftautumn 5 reviews

Day after the party. Phone calls. People on your doorstep. Choices made. Title is quite fitting. ENJOY! R&R

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover, Drama, Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-03-26 - Updated: 2007-03-26 - 2429 words

1Original
Not TOO much happens here. Started off as a filler, now it's a long ass chapter. Haha, please bare with me & ENJOY!

Btw no song to set the mood for this one, HOWEVER my suggested song of the day is "Here we go again - Paramore." I just love this song. Download it, find it on PureVolume or Myspace. WHATEVER IT TAKES! Haha kidding.




Chapter 6: Why don't you show me that little bit of spine you've been saving for his mattress

Ryan had gotten little sleep. He tossing and turning all night. His temptation to drown out his sorrows with a bottle of Vodka was outweighed by the reminder of his alcoholic dad.

After Amara left, it hurt less having not to see her with Pete, but it didn't stop him from missing her all the same. It was midnight and the party was still going. Ryan's heart was no longer in it. He decided he had had enough for the night and went to leave. Brendon, still concerned about his friend, joined him. Jon and Spencer also decided to follow. They ended up at Brendon's house, his being the closest. Jon and Brendon crashed as soon as their heads hit the pillow. Spence stayed up with Ryan and talked about that night's events. More specifically, they talked about their introduction and all the people they met. Ryan became short in his replies and distracted by his thoughts of Amara.

"Anything or anyone you wanna talk about buddy?" Spencer asked him.

"Not tonight, sorry Spence. Thanks anyway mate," Ryan smiled. Eventually Spencer nodded off and Ryan lay wide awake in the dark left with his thoughts.

He closed his eyes, exhaustion finally taking over he fell asleep. The next moment, his woke up to the sound of his phone ringing in the distance. He tried to ignore it, but it kept persisting. Brendon yelled, "Would someone answer the damn phone I'm trying to get some beauty sleep here." Primadonna, he thought. He got up to go answer it.

Caller ID flashed 'AJ' he hesitated to answer it, but Brendon continued to mutter profanities from under his pillow.

"Hey Ry. Where are you? I called your home but no one answered," said the concerned voice.

"Hi Amara. Me and the boys crashed at Brendon's after the party."

"Oh okay. That's cool, as long as you're all safe."

Ryan still felt awkward and hurt talking to Amara, and it reflected in his tone. "We'll anyway. I'm still kinda buggered. Can I call you back later?"

"Yea sure thing Ry. No worries. Talk to you later."

"Bye," he replied as he hung up the phone.

On the other side of town, Amara laid across her lounge reading The Picture of Dorian Gray. She tried to let the words distract her but it was no use. Argh!! I can't concentrate. I got too much in my head.

I leant over to the coffee table and reached for my journal. I flipped it open to a fresh new page, unmarked by my usual teen angst.

I poured my thoughts out and an hour later I was staring at a caricature wondering how to title it. When I put pen to paper, it's like the image or thought I have in my head transfers over. All the pain I feel inside and confusion that hurts my head just falls onto my canvas, and it starts to hurt less, my mind starts to clear.

The image in front was a girl, it was me. I stood next to Ryan and we we're looking into a mirror. However, the reflection revealed someone different. It revealed Pete.

She knew it was her subconscious talking to her. She realised she was developing feelings towards a certain bassist.

The doorbell rang. Bringing Amara out of her thoughts.

There stood Pete on the doorstep. She froze, with her heart racing at the same time. "Hi," he said bashfully.

"Hi," she said breathlessly. "What are you doing her?"

"You left this behind last night..." she looked down at her mask that he held in his hand.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you left like you were about to into a pumpkin or something." He smiled at her.

She relaxed a little. At least he's not angry or upset at me for last night.

Amara was glad he brought it back to her. It really was a beautiful mask. "Thank you" she smiled. "Would you like to come in?"

"Sure. I'd like that."

Pete sat down where she had been moments ago.

"Okay. I didn't just come here to give you your mask." She looked at him waiting for him to elaborate. "Can we talk... about last night?"

Amara hesitated at first because she felt embarrassed.

Pete noticed and said, "It's okay. You don't have to explain yourself. Just answer me one question. So how long have you loved Ryan for?"

"I what? I don't love Ryan. What are you on about?"

"Amara, come on. I'm Pete Wentz. Despite the fact I can be preoccupied with myself, I'm not blind."

"For too long if you ask me." I exhaled

"And let me guess, he still doesn't know."

I nodded sadly. "Amara, why haven't you told him?

"Cause he doesn't like me in that way."

"Are you sure?"

"I just know okay," I said more firmly.

"Okay. Well Amara, I meant what I said last night. I want to get to know you. And I want you to get to know the real me. If you need to sort out anything with Ryan first I'm cool with that. I just wanted to let you know, I like you... a lot."

I love Ryan so much. She thought. But he's not the one here right now, telling me those words I've longed to hear for so long. Pete is. Maybe it's time.

"There's nothing going on with Ryan. It hasn't yet and I doubt it ever will." I looked into his charming brown eyes. "I want to get to know you too Pete. But part of me is scared, I've rushed into so many crappy, meaningless relationships."

"You and me both. It's okay, we don't have to be a couple or anything yet. We'll take it real slow. How does that sound."

"Sounds good." I leaned on his chest, and he rested his head on mine and wrapped his arms around me.

For the rest of the afternoon, they hung out at Amara's house and got to know each other.

"Okay, wanna try something tested by man for centuries, lame but still effective." I laughed, "sure. What?" "20 questions?" Pete suggested.

[just to make this tennis match easier to read. Pete is in bold.]

"Full name."


"Amara James. You?"

"Peter Lewis Kingston Wentz III."

I giggled. "Okay, favourite season?"

"Hunting. Nah just kidding, winter. Yours?"

"Summer."

"Favourite colour?"

"Don't really have one. Purple maybe? Yours?"

"Black"

"Figures," I laughed. "But scientifically it's not a colour. Not to burst your bubble or anything." I grinned at him.

"Ah well. Moving on your turn."

"Any fears?"

"Hard one. I'd have to think about it. But I know I don't fear death."

"I don't consider myself afraid of death either. I'm probably more scared of how I'll die not that I'll die. I just don't want to die in a freak accident or something like Final Destination."

"I got a good one. Favourite band of all time? Don't think! First one that comes into your head."

"Fall Out Boy!" I laughed. "What's yours?" "Panic! At the Disco!" We both cracked up.

"Favourite TV show?" Prisonbreak. "I love that show! Wentworth Miller is so SEX! I have heapsssss of favourite shows but I love One Tree Hill."

"Funny you should say One Tree Hill. We just did a guest stop on that show. Episode should be coming up soon."

"OH WOW! That's so awesome."

"Yea was pretty cool. Oh, what is your favourite movie?"

"The Nightmare before Christmas."

"No way. Me too! Do you have it here?"

"Chyea, of course I do! What kinda question is that? You wanna watch it?"

"HA! That better had been rhetorical. Am I Pete Wentz?"

"Okay then Pete Wentz. Want anything to eat or drink while we watch?"

"Ummmm. Whatever you got."

"Coke and popcorn it is."

Amara headed towards the kitchen. Pete noticed her journal on the floor. He picked it up and looked inside. He saw some wonderful sketches and various quotes scribbled among the pages.

I returned with a load of food to find him reading a book. I realized it was not Oscar Wilde. Oh no, my recent sketch. "Oh gosh. You weren't meant supposed to see any of that."

"Sorry. I can see why you and Ryan get along so well. They're really nice artworks from what I saw, you really have talent Amara."

"Thanks. I'll show you all my work another time. Maybe."

I sat next to him and started the movie. We watched in a comfortable silence enjoying the work of Tim Burton.

Near the end of the movie, during the scene where Santa brings the snow, Pete broke the silence, "Have you ever been in love?"

"Once. And many times where I thought I was but then woke up and realized I wasn't."

"Yea me too."

"Anymore questions, Mr. Wentz? The best bit is coming up."

"Just one. What do you think of me?"

"Do you mean my initial thought or what do I think of you now?"

"Both."

I looked him in the eye and said, "Initially I thought you're a huge jerk, only interested in getting action." I looked back to the screen. "And now? He asked.

Still looking at the screen, I replied. "I still think you're an ass, wanting some action." I finally looked at him and smirked. He was looking intently at me, and smiling. He knew I was teasing. He knew my perception of him had changed. "What about me? What do you think of me...?"

"I think you're smart and talented... feisty and beautiful" I looked up into his eyes. Those same ones I saw last night... filled with honesty and warmth. I bit my bottom lip as he moved closer to me. His hand cupped my face. We leaned in closer, not breaking each other's gaze. My heart raced. A shiver ran through my body as I closed my eyes. His soft lips brushed against mine like it had last night. He lingered just long enough as the tension between us increased. Then his lips crashed down onto mine. It felt so exhilarating, but at the same time I felt so calm and safe. Our first kiss felt so sweet. We pulled apart, with smiles on our faces.


The next day.

I was sitting at the campus Starbucks during my break, thinking about my kiss with Pete. I craved to taste his lips again. Then my phone rang. "Hey you!"

"Hi gorgeous, what you up to?" I heard Pete's voice through the phone.

Smiling I answered, "Oh nothing, just on my break."

"Oh good so you're free."

The room suddenly went black, as someone had covered my eyes with their hands. "Mind if I join you?" said Pete, however his voice seemed much closer.

The person removed their hands and there I found Pete smiling at me from over my shoulder. He leaned in to kiss me on the cheek and sat down across from me.

"I was just in the neighbourhood. Thought I'd surprise you.

Well you did. I never told you what uni I went to. Or that I went to uni at all.

"Ryan told me. Technically you and I never finished our twenty questions."

I chuckled, "still want to keep going huh?" He nodded definitely in reply.

"Okay. You can ask. I'm out of ideas," I said.

"What's your major?"

"Promotions and advertising."

"Full-time?"

"Yea, I recently left my job. So this is all I do now." He raised an eyebrow at 'left'

"I had differing views with my boss about the graphic designs" I elaborated.

"Guess you're pretty serious about this stuff then aye?"

"You could say that, but no not really. I'm serious about my artwork, and music. I had an interest in advertising coming out of high school. I thought this course would give me the best of both worlds and take my style of art further than a bachelor in fine arts. Lately though, I've had doubts if it's the right path or not. Or if promotions is what I really want to do" I confessed to Pete. The words that I had hesitated to confess to Ryan just spilled out of my mouth like word vomit.

"I know exactly how you feel." His words gave me such comfort, and brought a smile to my face. He held my hand and any confused feelings left my mind. "I know you'll figure something out, Amara."

I spent the rest of my break with him and then headed to my last lecture for the day. Pete was going to stay in Las Vegas for the next four weeks, while Panic! recorded their album. After that they would leave to tour with Fall Out Boy.

Later in the week, Ryan dropped out of uni, and with their busy schedule, Amara saw the boys less and less. However, Pete was only needed in the studio for a couple hours a day. The rest of his time was spent with Amara. On the weekend, Amara went out with the FOB boys to a club. Ryan, Brendon, Jon and Spencer were still stuck at the studio. For the next two weeks, they would have lunch together or sit down for coffee during her break. Amara spent her nights at home catching up on uni work. However, she started to grow tired of it again and would wonder what the point was. She'd call Pete, since the other boys were all busy. Some nights they spent talking hours on the phone, others they would sneak out and take midnight strolls. Despite the fact they were taking it slow, both Amara and Pete were falling hard and fast.




*
First ending that wasnt much of a cliff hanger. hehe. Now, I realise I've been focused heavily on Pete Wentz. Can you blame me? Haha. Well anyway I apologise. My initial intention was Panic! and still is. It's just developed predominantly Fall Out Boy FOR THE TIME BEING!.. so don't worry. More Panic action coming up I promise!

Hope you enjoyed this long one. MOTIVATE ME REVIEW PLEASEEEE. =]
Sign up to rate and review this story