Categories > Original > Romance > SeaMello

Temple Torches

by sesshyfanchick 0 reviews

Temples!!

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Fantasy, Romance - Published: 2007-03-29 - Updated: 2007-03-30 - 2005 words

0Unrated
Aah, here's the 3rd chappeh :D hope u guys enjoy it, 'cause I certainly enjoyed writing it. Its kinda' different compared to what I usually write, so lets see where this takes meh. Please review!

Chapter 3: Temple Torches

Prickle.

'Feels weird."

Prickle.

'Get off.'

Prickle.

I awoke with a start, my eyes opening wide to find something very close towards my line of vision. It was huge, black and had many long legs that lay attached to its fury body.

"Spider!" I shrieked, sitting up and smacking my face free from the ghastly creature. My breath caught in my throat when I looked about me. Trees, so many trees and flowers, painted in the most vibrant of colors. I was in a jungle.

This time the fear that had always seemed to coil within me dissipated. Perhaps I was used to the changing of my surroundings? I spotted a green vine hanging off from a large tree, its rope like appearance calling forth my hand to pull onto it. I wrapped my fingers around the green vine, heaving my weight upon the fragile support and stood up. The ground made a crumpling noise as I stood, as if I were prancing about in a leafy area.

I looked about me, my brown eyes scanning every inch of my new surroundings. Indeed, I was in a jungle. I brushed myself off from the remaining twigs and leaves that had stuck onto my clothing. I was confused. If I could remember correctly, a little while ago, I was trapped within the confounds of a dark room, a boy with golden hair trying to choke me to the death. And now I wake up to find myself in a jungle! Ghastly!

I sighed, running my hands through my long brown hair. Was I crazy or something? Maybe I really did belong in that insane asylum? My mind began to work rapidly as a picture of the boy relapsed into my brain again. Where was he anyway? I looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of pale skin, charcoal eyes, and golden hair, yet...I saw nothing. Only dense, mossy jungle leaves and the vibrant colors of tropical flowers.

As I stood there, basking in all my glory, I came to a decision. There was no point in just remaining where I was, it would get me nowhere. Although, I had always been told that if you were lost that you should remain where you were. I shook my head from the nagging advice. That was stupid, in my perspective. Why stand still like a log when you could be trying to find your way out of a sticky situation such as the one I was currently in?

I took in a gulp of air, reveling in its humid taste and made my way across the large expanse of the earthen floor. Should I look for the boy first? What if he wasn't even here? A little while ago he was on top of me, but that had been back at the insane asylum, what if he was still stuck over there? I shivered at the thought. I felt guilty knowing that he might still be trapped within those dark cushiony walls, while I was here, free amidst the jungle air like a wild animal. A smile took place instead of my frown. Perhaps I should look for him, no sense in not doing so. Besides, if I look for him now, I could also try to see if I could get out of this place and go home once and for all.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

Green leaves dripped down like water, brushing against my flesh, rendering me with silent chills. Twigs snapped and leaves crunched as I made my way through the dank jungle, my arms stretched out before me just in case there was a dense pack of foliage threatening to block my way. The humid air stuck to my skin, my clothes clinging onto my flesh as if water had just been poured onto me.

After a while of hopeless rummaging through the jungle trees and vines, I began to think that my hopes in finding the boy and civilization again began to diminish. It was useless! My skin itched and blood was faintly oozing out of freshly made cuts due to the harsh thorns and twigs scraping against my flesh. I ran a hand through my hair, plucking out any bit of residue left from the surrounding foliage. I would not want to wake up next morning and find that a family of spiders had made camp inside my mass of rumpled hair.

As I drew near towards a dense barricade of underbrush, I glimpsed the faint color of blue leaking in from the parted treetops. A glimmer of hope and excitement sparked through me, sending my body onto an adrenaline rush frenzy. I cut through the mossy barricade, my eyes wondering in shocked splendor as they landed upon a humongous temple.

It was old, very old, ancient actually. Gnarled vines and tree branches spindled throughout the beige colored walls, entwining into the small chipped off crevices of the temple bricks. In some places, I noticed, there wasn't even any brick to support it, just a big gash across its surface. It was as if someone had grabbed a large portion of the temple and ate it or something. The trees here grew into each other, their long branches and leaves cascading down onto the temple like a waterfall of twinkling stars.

Was I in Mayan territory? I'd always heard stories of ancient Indian's, the Mayans, living in vast temples such as the one I was currently standing in front of. After a few moments of simply marveling at its surreal beauty, I decided that it wouldn't hurt to explore the insides of the temple.

I scuffled my feet along the leafy ground, making sure not to trip on some protruding branch. As I drew closer, I noticed that there wasn't any entrance. How was I supposed to get in? I walked up to the temple, my hands landing upon the harsh brick as my fingers traced along its rocky surface. I encircled the temple, my eyes in search of an opening that could lead me inside. After encircling it about one hundred and eighty degrees, I found a flight of stone steps. I stared up the steps, its path leading up towards a huge, hollow entrance.

"Found it," I said to myself, a small smile gracing my lips.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

I was hunched over my knees by the time I was through ascending the stone stairs. I breathed in and out, trying to steady my heart and grab my bearings. It had been a long climb up to the top, but I had made it. Now, as I stood in front of a huge gaping whole, I couldn't help but feel excited and anxious. Of course, not everyone would feel this way, what with a gigantic, foreboding entrance staring you straight in the face. On top of all that it was pitch dark. I couldn't even see inside! Gathering my last bit of courage, I reminded myself that I needed to find the boy. It was better to be lost when somebody else was lost with you, as I liked to put it.

And with that shred of hope, I stepped within the looming entrance.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

Darkness, pure darkness. It was all that enveloped me; all that clouded my vision to the point that I couldn't even see my own hand. I made my way through the inside of the temple, my shoes padding softly against the moist, stone ground. My arms were stretched out in front of me, flailing about in the open air to protect me from any oncoming danger. Plus, I didn't want to accidentally ram into something. I squinted my eyes, trying to see into the dark distance when a flicker of bright light erupted from afar.

I could see it clearly now, the bright yellow flame of a torchlight glowing vibrantly in the distance. If I could just make my way towards it without any mishaps, then I was sure to be okay throughout the long run.

I made a beeline cut towards the small pit of fire, once again my arms flailing about in the air. It was still very hard to see, but as I drew closer towards the torchlight, my eyes began to adjust to the darkness surrounding me.

The flesh of my palms came in contact with the moist, rocky surface of the temple wall, the glow of the bright torchlight sending off rays of yellow and orange light above me. I stared up at the small flame, its vibrant light glittering about in my eyes. It was pretty, beautiful in a sense that it almost made me want to reach out my hand and touch it.

That's exactly what I did. I was surprised when the flame didn't burn my flesh. A flame that couldn't burn? Interesting. I cupped the palm of my right hand around the glowing ball of fire, the prickly feel of warmth spreading up through my fingertips. It felt wonderful, like a warm tingly sensation only burning in the palm of my hand. I stared amusedly at the ball of light, red, orange and yellow flames bouncing up and down. It was amazing that I could even carry it like this, along with the fact that it didn't hurt at all.

I straightened my posture, regaining my steady walk throughout the temple. Now, with the guidance of the torch-flame within my hand, I could get a faint grasp of my surroundings. I could see that I was in a very long narrow hallway, its long expanse stretching out into the distance. To me, it looked as if it would never end. Taking in a deep breath, I trudged on, the ball of light dancing happily in my hand.

As I made my way down the stony hallway, I took notice of the temple walls. Intricate framework was embroidered within the walls on either side of me, running down the length of the hallway. It looked the same as it did outside. Gnarled vines grew in spirals along its surface, curling up into little balls to rest within a chipped crevice.

Before I knew it, a turn in the hallway sprouted forth. Since this was the only path to take, I took it. About twenty feet away from me, an enormous door stood. It was engraved with golden patterns, bronze and ebony designs creating a wonderful display of artwork along the doorframe. I walked over to the door, extending my hand, which cupped the flame to better look at it.

There were two golden handles, each at my eye level. What was inside? Could the boy possibly have wound up in there? All these thoughts flew across my mind, impending for me to answer them. Of course, curiosity got the best of me and before I knew, my left hand had grasped around one of the golden handles. Why stop here when I had gotten so far?

With much difficulty, I managed to pull the heavy stone door open. Its rocky surface scratched against the ground, the sound of it echoing off the walls of the adjacent hallway. As soon as I looked up, I gasped, the flame dropping from my hands to land on the floor. It didn't flicker out, but merely kept on burning, its flames pooling into a sea of fiery liquid atop the moist floor. There, sitting on a golden throne was the boy, his eyes closed and his limp body resting upon the majestic dais.

All I could do was stare; stare at this sleeping beauty, while the ball of flame, still burning brightly at my feet flickered out.

Yay! End of 3rd chappeh! I can't wait to start writing the next one, I'm kinda' obsessed with the boy...I draw him a lot o.o...anyways..please review!
Sign up to rate and review this story