Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Heir of Blood

Incompetent Professors and Vertiserum

by ShadeDancer 0 reviews

Chapter 4

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Blaise Zabini, Harry - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2005-10-17 - Updated: 2005-10-18 - 4522 words

3Ambiance
Disclaimer: not mine, don't own it, yadda yadda ya.

The next morning Harry and Blaise easily fell into the morning routine they had held at Hogwarts last year, Professor Snape joining them to work with them for a bit on dueling; he was considering holding lessons for other Slytherin students on the art of dueling after seeing how well it was working with Harry and Blaise. Those lessons would be held in the evening after classes though; the morning ritual was fast becoming sacred to the three who held to it. The routine was followed by quick showers before Harry and Blaise headed to breakfast together and settled in to eat their meal in peace before the hall became too crowded and noisy. Unfortunately their good moods were about to take a dive as Professor Snape handed out their class schedules. Immediately Harry let his head bang against the table, they had Defense first up.

"Someone up there hates us" Blaise groaned "sticking us with that bloody git first period. At least we have potions before lunch and herbology after. Charms, transfiguration, and history of magic are tomorrow, along with midnight astronomy."

A commotion over at the Gryffindor table interrupted any response Harry was going to give as a roar of sound filled the huge hall, shaking dust from the ceiling.

"-STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE-"

Mrs. Weasley's yells were a hundred times louder than usual, making the plates and spoons rattle on the table as they echoed deafeningly off the stone walls. Many of the Slytherins started to snicker at Ron who was slumping down as if he wished to disappear completely under the table.

"-LETTER FROM DUMLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS. I EXPECTED SOMETHING LIKE THIS FROM FRED AND GEORGE, BUT YOU! YOU COULD HAVE DIED-"

Harry saw that the twins looked extremely affronted at the mention they received in the howler.

"-ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED-YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME."

A ringing silence fell before the red envelope of the howler burst into flames and singed itself to ash. Gradually people started to look away from the spectacle that had just finished playing out and turned back to the conversations they had abandoned when the shouts had filled the hall.

Harry turned to Blaise "you're father doesn't know how to make one of those, does he?"

Blaise merely shrugged and both of them finished off their breakfast before joining the quay of students leaving the hall to make their way to their first lesson of the day. On their way to the Defense corridor they passed by Ron who was being cornered by a beaming Lockhart who seemed to be trying to instruct the youngest male Weasley on the best way to attract fame without seeming too obvious about it. Harry shook his head sadly as they rounded the corner only to be accosted by a Gryffindor, a first year from the looks of it.

"All right, Harry? I'm-I'm Colin Creevey" he said breathlessly, taking a step forward and clutching a camera tightly "I'm in Gryffindor, but I've heard so much about you. D'you think-would it be all right if-can I have a picture? Would you sign it?"

"I don't do photos" Harry told the first year firmly, but was interrupted before he could say anymore.

"What's all this, what's all this" Lockhart had obviously finished his assault on Ron and had overheard Colin "Who's giving out signed photos?"

His eyes landed on Harry "Harry Potter, I should have known. Come on then Mr. Creevey. A double portrait, can't do better than that, and we'll both sign it for you."

Lockhart tried to put a companionable arm around Harry's shoulder but Harry expertly dodged and fingered his wand menacingly.

"I'm warning you, you perverted child molester" Harry's voice was dangerous and low as he spoke so only Lockhart could hear "try and touch me again and I won't be responsible for the consequences."

Harry and Blaise swept haughtily past the paling Defense teacher and reluctantly entered the classroom in which they were going to be subjected to his teaching methods. Choosing seats at the very back of the classroom Harry and Blaise ignored the books they had in their satchel written by Lockhart and instead settled down to read through a book on offensive curses Snape had recommended to them. Slowly the rest of the class came in, the girls chattering excitedly, and Harry noticed that Draco and his cronies also choose seats in the back near him and Blaise; they weren't vying for close up seats like most of the rest of the class was.

Within moments Lockhart was sweeping grandly into the room, looking for all the world like an turkey trying to dress up as a peacock, clearing his throat to artfully gain everyone's attention. As silence fell he reached forward and picked up someone's copy of /Travels with Trolls/, holding it up to show off his own winking portrait on the front.

"Me" he said, pointing at it and winking as well "Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five-time winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award-but I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!"

Harry and Blaise gave identically derisive snorts as a few of their other classmates smiled weakly. Before they knew it the class was being treated to a little quiz to see how well they had read Lockhart's books. It was one quiz Harry knew he was going to fail, he had wanted to burn Lockhart's books but had been stopped so that they didn't have to waste money on buying another set of the worthless texts so that they would have them for class. Harry looked down at his paper and read:

1. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favorite color?
2. What is Gilderoy Lockhart's secret ambition?
3. What, in your opinion, is Gilderoy Lockhart's greatest achievement to date?

On and on it went, over three sides of paper, right down to:

54. When is Gilderoy Lockhart's birthday, and what would his ideal gift be?

Grinning maliciously Harry began to fill in answers, if he was going to fail this ridiculous excuse for a quiz he was going to get some kicks out of it.

Half an hour later, Lockhart collected the papers and rifled through them in front of the class, reading out the answers and tsking at them for not remembering that his favorite color was Lilac and that he clearly said so in /Year of the Yeti/. Praise went out to Pansy Parkinson for getting most of the answers correct, causing the girl to squeal in delight; Harry merely sat back and waited for his paper to be read out.

"Ah" Lockhart smiled "Harry Potter's paper. He writes: Gilderoy Lockhart's favorite color is slime-"

Lockhart flushed and stopped reading before shuffling to a new paper.

"What's the matter professor" Harry asked innocently "what about the rest of my answers. I would like to see how correct I was."

"I-well" Lockhart started "what you wrote-"

"Can't you read my writing" Harry smirked "I can tell you what it says, I remember my answers perfectly. Your favorite color is slime green as it reminds you of the swamp hole you grew up in. Your secret ambition is to get laid by someone other than your mother; your greatest achievement to date is not having spawned any offspring; and I believe your birthday is irrelevant, though you wouldn't say no to receiving a muggle vibrator if anyone cared enough to give you a gift."

Lockhart flushed as most of the class started snickering and a few that had knowledge of the muggle world and knew what a vibrator was nearly fell out of their seats laughing.

"I believe you need to reread my books, Harry" Lockhart huffed, trying to regain control of the class "so-to business."

With exaggerated movements Lockhart leaned down behind his desk and lifted a covered cage up onto the polished wooden surface.

"Now-be warned! It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind! You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. All I ask is that you remain calm."

Harry and Blaise exchanged incredulous looks and wondered what the incompetent buffoon was going to subject them to now.

"I must ask you not to scream" Lockhart said in an exaggeratedly low voice "it might provoke them."

Lockhart whipped off the cover of the cage and exclaimed "Yes. Freshly caught /Cornish pixies/."

Draco couldn't control himself and let out a sneering bark of laughter "we're supposed to be afraid of /pixies/?"

"Don't be to sure they aren't dangerous" Lockhart warned, waving a finger annoyingly at Draco "devilish tricky blighters they can be!"

The pixies were electric blue and about eight inches high, with pointed faces and voices so shrill it was like listening to a lot of budgies arguing. The moment the cover had been removed, they had started jabbering and rocketing around, rattling the bars and making bizarre faces at the people nearest them.

"Right then" Lockhart said as he began to open the cage "let's see how you fare with them."

It was pandemonium. The pixies shot in every direction, hurtling objects and people alike; a few even shot straight through the windows towards freedom, showering those nearest the windows with glass. The rest proceeded to wreck the classroom, thankfully shredding the books Lockhart had written in the process; they resisted Lockhart's useless spell of Peskipiksi Pesternomi easily and Lockhart's wand went sailing out the window courtesy of one of the pixies. Suddenly the bell rang and a mad rush was made towards the exit, Lockhart catching Harry and Blaise before they could leave.

"Well, I'll ask you two to just nip the rest of them back into their cage" he said, making a beeline for the door.

Incensed Harry drew one of his daggers and prepared to throw, only for Blaise to catch his arm, knocking his aim askew.

"You can't kill the pixies" she berated him "it wouldn't be right."

"Who said I was going to kill the pixies" Harry grumbled "I was aiming for that bastard Lockhart."

"Oh" Blaise bit her lip "what do we do now?"

"I guess take care of the pixies" Harry shrugged "I don't really feel like caging them though."

Deciding not to put the pixies back into the cage was an easy choice, but they couldn't leave them there to harass the next students that came into the room. Deciding to let the Pixies free Harry let out a shrill whistle, if this didn't work then they would just have to hex the little buggers. The pixies turned their attention to Harry and Blaise, suddenly realizing that there were still two humans in the room.

The pixies started to go into a dive bomb towards Harry and Blaise but pulled up short, chattering in their high pitched voices when Harry pointed his wand to a window and called out a shattering spell. The Pixies hovered there for a moment before deciding to streak past Harry and Blaise to the window that had just been opened before them; one pixie stopping long enough to kiss both Harry and Blaise on the nose before flying out.

"Well" said Harry "that went well. Wonder what Lockhart's going to do for a lesson without his pixies now?"

Linking arms Harry and Blaise headed for potions, not wanting to be late and earning Snape's disapproving eye; they may get along, but Merlin help them if they were late for class.



Unfortunately for Harry and Blaise they weren't though with seeing Lockhart that day. They had just finished lunch and were heading out to the greenhouses for class when they came upon Lockhart trying to tell Professor Sprout the best way to doctor the Whomping Willow, it appeared that Ron had crashed into it while flying his father's car to school. Poor motherly Professor Sprout looked extremely disgruntled.

"Greenhouse three today, chaps" she called out, striding away from Lockhart as the class murmured in interest.

Greenhouse three housed far more interesting and dangerous plants than they had ever worked with before and they were eager to see what they would be working with this class. Professor Sprout took a large key from her belt and unlocked the door to greenhouse three, allowing a whiff of damp earth and fertilizer that mingled with the heavy perfume of the flowers inside to waft out and greet them.

As he passed Professor Sprout who was holding open the door and scowling at Lockhart Harry whispered "you should have let him doctor the Whomping Willow, it would have been fun to see him getting hit about."

Blaise added her support as well and it appeared to lighten Sprout's mood somewhat as the teacher took her place at the head of the class saying "we'll be repotting Mandrakes today. Now, who can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?"

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative" said a Ravenclaw, Terry Boot "it is used to return people who have been transfigured or cursed to their original state."

"Excellent. Ten points to Ravenclaw" said Professor Sprout "The Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. It is also, however, dangerous. Who can tell me why?"

With a grin Blaise's hand shot up, after all, anything dangerous was worth reading about "the cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Precisely. Take ten points for Slytherin" said Professor Sprout "now, the Mandrakes we have here are still very young, but their cries are still strong enough to knock you out for several hours so make sure your earmuffs are tightly on."

After watching a demonstration on how to unearth and replant the Mandrakes, which instead of roots appeared to be an extremely ugly baby with leaves growing out of its head, they split up into groups of four to begin their work. Harry and Blaise were joined by Theo and the Ravenclaw, Terry Boot. Together the group worked together to get their station set up, twisting around the teething Venemous Tentacula, and talking companionably before they had to put their earmuffs back on. When Professor Sprout had repotted the Mandrake it had looked extremely easy, but those little shits knew how to bite and everyone was tired and sweaty by the end of class; it had taken Harry and Blaise a lot of willpower to not rough theirs up slightly to make handling them a bit easier.

~~ ~~ ~*~

Finally the weekend rolled around and with it came Quidditch tryouts, something Harry and Blaise were eagerly looking forward to. Unlike the other house that only had tryouts when they had a position to fill the Slytherin team had tryouts for every position each year, seeking to have the best players on the team. The only position that was usually safe was whatever position the team captain held, but even that could be overthrown if the rest of the team wished it. Speaking of the Slytherin Quidditch team captain-

"All right" Marcus Flint barked out "if you're trying out for Seeker, forget it; everyone else get your asses down to the pitch for tryouts."

Harry and Blaise shouldered their brooms and trooped down to the pitch, only to realize that it was in use by the Gryffindor team. The captain of the Gryffindor team swooped down to the ground, landing hard in his anger, the rest of his team following to stand protectively behind him.

"Flint" the Gryffindor captain yelled "this is our practice time! We got up specially! You can clear off now!"

Marcus wasn't in the least intimidated "plenty of room for us all, Wood."

"But I booked the field" said Wood, positively spitting with rage "I booked it!"

Flint smirked "but I've got a specially signed not here from Professor Snape. 'I, Professor S. Snape, give the Slytherin team permission to practice today on the Quidditch field owing to the need to train their new Seeker and hold tryouts.'"

"You've got a new Seeker" asked Wood, distracted "where?"

Draco Malfoy moved his way to the fore, a huge smirk over his face as he proudly sported his team robes.

"Aren't you Lucius Malfoy's son" asked Fred, remembering him vaguely from outside of Flourish and Blotts that summer.

"Funny you should mention Draco's father" said Flint smugly "let me show you the generous gift he's made to the Slytherin team."

All seven of the current team members held out their broomsticks for inspection. Seven highly polished, brand-new handles and seven sets of fine gold lettering spelling the words Nimbus Two Thousand and One gleamed under the Gryffindors' noses in the early morning sunlight. Flint continued to gloat while Harry, Blaise, Fred, and George exchanged looks. Draco had bought his way on the team, it was something that disgusted even Harry and Blaise and they didn't have all that many morals themselves. True, Harry and Blaise knew well the value of money in getting what they wanted, but to buy your way onto a team didn't give you the skills to play and therefore was pointless in their eyes.

Harry snapped back to attention just as Flint remarked "oh, look, a field invasion."

Ron had been sitting in the stand watching the Gryffindor team practice before he had to report for his detention, he had a month's worth, and had decided to head over and see what was happening. Everything went downhill from there as Ron spluttered about Malfoy buying his way onto the team while Malfoy retorted back by insulting the Weasley's and their lack of money; he knew that it would set Ron off, and it did.

"I'm sure if you're so desperate for money" Malfoy was saying "that your sister could help you out. I'm sure there are quite a few men who would like her to spre-"

"You'll pay for that one, Malfoy" Ron hollered, pulling his wand as Flint had to stop Fred and George from jumping Draco.

A loud bang echoed around the stadium and a jet of green light shot out of the wrong end of Ron's wand, according to the twins he had broken it when he had crashed his father's enchanted car into the Whomping Willow, hitting him in the stomach and sending him reeling backwards onto the grass. As everyone stared at Ron, the hotheaded redhead stood and swayed for a moment before belching up slugs. The Slytherin team burst into peels of laughter, Harry and Blaise barely holding their back; they couldn't help it, it was funny. Fred and George seemed to think so too, but helped Ron off the field and toward the hospital wing; it appeared that they would ridicule him later, right now Ron needed their help. With a glare at the Slytherins' the Gryffindor team abandoned the field as well, they were down two players and they couldn't argue with a note from a professor.

"Alright" Flint said smugly "everyone get your asses in the air and do laps."

Flint had them fly laps before breaking them down into teams so that those wishing to try out for the team were facing the current team members in a match. One other person, a fourth year, was trying out for a Beater position besides Harry and Blaise. Flint then had everyone who was trying out for a position face off against the others vying for the spot until there were only enough people left trying out to make up a team; this new team would fly against the current team to compete for a first string position, everyone else would become a part of the reserve team. Blaise and Harry easily defeated the fourth year trying out for the Beater position through teamwork and took their positions to wait for Flint to start the scrimmage game.

The scrimmage was brutal, the current Slytherin team was determined to hold onto their positions while those opposing them were just as determined to make them lose those coveted spots; they only unworried people were Marcus Flint and Draco Malfoy. Flint was the captain and wasn't about to give up his position and no one was going to go against Draco after his father had made such a generous donation to the team. In the end though, Harry and Blaise again won out and became the new Beaters for the Slytherin team. Derrick and Bole would have had a better chance of defending their first string positions if they hadn't been trying to prove themselves better than each other in order to keep their spots, they did have more brute strength than Harry and Blaise after all.

When tryouts were finished and a new Slytherin team assembled they were driven to practice by the zealous Flint who didn't seem to care that most of the players were about ready to fall off their brooms. If people thought a Gryffindor versus Slytherin match was rough, they should see what happens when Slytherins take on other Slytherins; Madam Pomfrey was going to be quite busy for a while. Harry and Blaise were just as worn out as the next person, but they managed to pace themselves enough to survive practice without injury. Finally Flint called them all to the ground to welcome them as the new Slytherin team and basically warn them that if they valued their life they had better practice hard and win. Shaking their head at Flint's fanaticism Harry and Blaise headed back to the castle to hit the showers while discussing the fact that Blaise was the only female on the Slytherin team, there hadn't been a female on the Slytherin team in years. Flint had almost denied Blaise a spot at tryouts, but she had been determined and had proved that she could hold her own against the guys.

~~ ~~ ~*~

Manuel looked determinedly at Trevor and gave a firm nod to show that he was ready to go through with their plans, everything was finally ready and as the children were already away at school there was no worry about them getting involved.

"We'll use the meeting room" Manuel decided "so that nothing seems out of the ordinary. Break them down into rank and then call them in alphabetically. Begin with the Daggers and the Shadows, and then the Wolves and the Guards. We'll save the house staff for last. No one has been given leave for the next three days so everyone should be here. We'll question them on the wizarding world and their loyalties to the clan, obliviating anyone who doesn't know what we are talking about."

Trevor nodded "and for those that have been obliviated, they'll think they've been called in to give their opinion on different security upgrades we might invest in."

The first three of the Daggers, the assassins of the Darkov clan, were quickly questioned and they turned up clean. They knew nothing of the wizarding world and their loyalty had not really been in question in the first place. The fourth one they questioned on the other hand wasn't going to be allowed the easy way out. His loyalty was true, that was a favor in his point at least.

"Does your loyalty lie with the Darkov clan" Manuel questioned, staring at the drugged Dagger in front of him.

"Yes" Vasile answered surely even while under the influence of vertiserum.

"Do you know of the wizarding world that exists amongst the muggle world?" Trevor phrased the question carefully so that he didn't get any answer from any fans of the fantasy genre.

"Yes" Vasile again answered positively, causing Manuel and Trevor to exchange glances.

"Are you a wizard, a squib, or do you know of the wizarding world through a friend or family member" Trevor asked, trying to cover all the bases he could think of.

"I am a wizard" Vasile told them.

"Where did you train your magic?"

"I graduated from Durmstrang."

"Did you follow Voldemort of sympathize with his cause" Trevor asked, now on his guard.

"No" Vasile stated "though I am pure of blood I did not follow Voldemort and despised his cause. My family disinherited me for this."

"One last question" Trevor said thankfully "do you have any affiliation or loyalties to Albus Dumbledore or any of the Ministries of Magic?"

Vasile answered negatively and Trevor administered antidote to the Vertiserum, waiting while the Dagger shook off the after effects of the potion before they discussed what had just happened.

"That was unexpected" Vasile finally commented after staring at Manuel and Trevor for a few minutes "may I ask why now? I have served the Darkov clan for years and only now to my knowledge are these questions being asked."

Manuel nodded "I am not a wizard, but I have known for years about the wizarding world. Ever since I adopted my son I've known he would one day be going to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Last year he got his letter as did Trevor's daughter and I discovered my friend's secret. If Trevor could be a wizard without my knowledge then it stood to reason that others amongst the clan could be and we needed to know."

Vasile nodded his acceptance before bending his head and presenting his wand handle first to Manuel "I swear my magic and my life to the Clan of Darkov. By my wand I will serve and protect those of the Clan."

Manuel had not been expecting such a declaration, but knew what he was to do from Trevor. His friend had done something similar after the children had left for school the year before.

"I accept your oath Vasile and may your wand serve both you and the Clan faithfully" Manuel replied, taking the wand and turning it around in Vasile's hand.

With a smile Vasile stowed his wand away and Manuel dismissed him, they would talk more later when they discovered if anyone else amongst the clan held magical affiliations.

"Two Daggers left and then the Wolves" Manuel sighed, already weary of the questioning "then we'll do half of the Guards. We'll finish up with the rest of the Guards and the household staff tomorrow. That gives us the third day to talk with those we need and call in any more meetings we need to have before turning everyone loose. We'll also have to owl the children and tell them what we found."

Trevor nodded and went to summon the next off the Daggers. Questioning under vertiserum sure was tedious when large numbers were involved.
Sign up to rate and review this story