Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Wishes

Questions for No One

by Nickelina 0 reviews

The loss of a loved one often hits you harder than you ever thought it would

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Flint, Other - Published: 2005-10-20 - Updated: 2005-10-20 - 1254 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Characters in this work (GI Joe/ Cobra) are the property of Marvel Comics, Hasbro
and Devil's Due Publishing, Inc., and are being used without permission. No profit is gained from this site or the use of these characters. Thank you to Storm O and SP for their time and Medic for the talk

Dedicated to Nicole Chartre,. Your beautiful smile will live in our hearts forever...I miss you, my friend.



Wishes
By Nickelina


2. Questions for No One

After the service, some of Dashiell's family and friends had gathered at his home in Washington, D.C. He had bought the house with Alison shortly after they had been married; but since GI Joe had been reinstated, neither one had spent much time there. It was late, and most of the guests had gone home. Dash decided to go to bed right after Lonzo and his wife had left. Dash had asked Caleb to stay; he was worried about him. Although Caleb was a strong person in his own right, Dash didn't know how Caleb was going to move on without the constant presence of his sister. He thought it would be best if he stayed near everyone else. There were some people in Joe who never knew Alison had a brother, but those who knew her well heard her talk about him often.
Marvin had stayed. He wouldn't hear anything Dash said about wanting to be left alone. Brothers-in-Joe would never leave each other alone after a tragedy, and tonight would be no different. He wanted to be close by when reality finally hit Dash. The two of them had been through hell and back together, and he planned to stay right by his friend's side.
Edwin was also staying at the house. His way of helping Dash out was by simply being there. He still had the thought at the back of his head that if he could have done more, if he would have worked harder to save Alison's life, they would not be in this situation right now. He needed Dash to know that he did every thing he could.
Marvin finished cleaning up in the kitchen. He asked if Edwin or Caleb needed anything and then went to check on Dash. It had been a while since anyone had heard anything from him. He knocked softly on the door. When he received no answer, he opened it slowly. The lights were on, and Dash was sitting on the edge of the bed. His jacket was carelessly thrown on a chair, and his beret and tie were on the floor. Marvin picked up the coat and walked over to the closet to hang it up.
"Don't." Dash told him.
"Man, you have to keep this nice for tomorrow. After that I don't care what you do with it," Marvin told him.
"I don't want the closet open. I don't want to see her clothes. I don't want to smell her perfume. I just want to be left alone."
Marvin laid the jacket over the back of the chair. "You know I'm not gonna do that. You're hurting, and I'm staying to help you."
"I didn't ask you to." Dash snapped at him.
"You didn't have to." Marvin picked up Dash's beret and tie and put them on the chair with his jacket. "You look like shit, Dash. Why don't you try to get some sleep?"
Dash looked in Marvin's direction. "Why don't you get out?" He was getting more and more agitated. "I just want to be left alone."
"Ok, man." Marvin walked to one side of the bed and turned down the blankets. "I'll be downstairs if you need anything."
"Marvin, get out of my bedroom. I don't need anything."
Marvin walked towards the door. "Just remember, you're like a brother to me. You don't have to do this alone."
"Out!" Dash yelled. He was at his breaking point. He knew Marvin meant well, everyone did, but how many times would he have to hear, "I'm here for you" or "let it all out". He didn't want a shoulder to cry on. He didn't want a helping hand. All he wanted was his wife, and no amount of wishing was going to bring her back. Dash lay back on the bed and kicked off his shoes. He couldn't process what was going on. Everything seemed totally out of control. There were so many times when things got out of hand, and he could make everything right. Just like the times when he was about to spin out of control and all he would have to do was simply look at Alison, or hear her voice, and she would have the power to calm him. Where was she now? How could she help calm him now? Tears were coming to his eyes. He didn't bother trying to wipe them away. They rolled down the side of his face and into his ears. Dash tore at the buttons of his shirt. He didn't care if it ripped; he needed to take the shirt off. Once it was opened, he sat up and took it off, then threw it onto the floor. He lay back down on the bed. Why was this happening to him? Of all people, why was it Alison? He tried to think of all the things in his life that he had done that was so bad that he was now being punished. Nothing would come to mind.
"Why? Why did you leave me?" He called out. He waited for Alison to answer back. He would take anything she would say, good or bad, as long as he could hear her voice one more time. When she didn't answer, he called out to whoever else was up there listening.
"Why did you take her from me? She was the only good thing I ever had! She was my life! Damn it all! Why won't you answer me?"
Dashiell turned on his side. "Why couldn't you have taken me instead?" He said through his tears. "Why couldn't it have been me?" He pulled his legs up under him and curled himself in to a ball. He didn't know what was happening. It was as if he was feeling every emotion all at once. He wanted to scream; he wanted to break something. His exhaustion kept him from getting up off the bed. He started to think about all the plans they had made. Everything they had ever talked about. There were so many questions she had asked him, and he had said that he would tell her later. He wished he would have told her then; it would have been one more moment with her. He thought about all the times he wanted to walk behind her, wrap his arms around her, and squeeze her tight. The times he wanted to steal a kiss from her when no one was looking, and he never did. He kept thinking over and over again about the time when she asked him when they would have their lives back. He told her that their country needed them more, and their time was going to come. At this moment, he desperately wanted to take that back.
"I'd do anything just to have her back. Why can't you just give her back to me?"
Dash wiped away his tears, but it did no good. He reached behind, pulled the blankets over him, and for the first time in his life, cried himself to sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story