Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Wishes

Letters Home

by Nickelina 0 reviews

The loss of a loved one often hits you harder than you ever thought it would

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Flint, Scarlett, Other - Published: 2005-10-20 - Updated: 2005-10-20 - 1945 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Characters in this work (GI Joe/ Cobra) are the property of Marvel Comics, Hasbro
and Devil's Due Publishing, Inc., and are being used without permission. No profit is gained from this site or the use of these characters.

ScarlettPhoenix , StormO, and Medic thank you, as always.


Wishes
By Nickelina

5. Letters Home

June 24

Caleb,
I'm writing to you from the field, well a transport plane actually. I have a few moments of downtime right now. We are here doing one of those things I can't tell you, or I'd have to kill you. But, you haven't made me that mad in a while. It's so funny; the people around me are always thinking I have top secret notes in this book. If they only knew that I was writing my brother...
Earlier this week, I called you and got one of your friends instead. He told me about you and Sarah and how she was moving out. Oh Hon, I'm so sorry. I thought she was the one for you. I'm really sorry she broke your heart, and if it makes you feel better, I can say I hate her for it. I keep telling you to let me screen these girls for you, but you never let me! By the way, drinking beer and eating cold pizza is not how you get over a breakup. There will be another one for you. A better one. I'm telling you, Caleb, just when you least expect it, Bam! The love of your life is going to come walking right in. This is the voice of experience talking to you.
I have not asked you about work lately. Did you ever get the account from that company in France? If not, you should consider moving to the D.C. area. I could hook you up with an advertising company there and you can live in my house while we are stationed out here. You should think about branching out on your own. You have the smarts and know-how and god knows you have the money to do it. Go for it big Bro!
Remember I told you about Michelle? That cute little girl who fixed your computer over the phone? Well, I invited her over while Dash was out of town. I thought it would be good for her to have a girl's night out of sorts. Well, we were watching movies and talking all this girl stuff. (I don't think she has a lot of people to talk to about girly stuff). Don't even say it, Caleb! I'm not that much of a tomboy, and I do give good advice. Anyway, I get called back to post, and I left her alone in my apartment. I knew everything would be okay, really. I was only gone for three hours, and I called her on my way back into town. I hear this beeping on the other line. Meanwhile, she's keeps telling me the noise is nothing and everything is just fine. I got home and my apartment was full of smoke! I asked her what had happened, and she said something about a "stove malfunction". The girl almost burned down my house! I love her to death, but I don't think I'm going to let her cook anymore. You have to meet her. I'm sure the two of you would get along great.
My good friend, Albert and his wife had their second baby this week. It's a girl. I told him that the best name in the world is Alison. He did not listen. They named her Emma. Emma is a pretty name don't you think? I really miss working with him; he used to make everything so fun. Alpine and Bazooka, my two nights in shining armor. I miss a lot of people, especially Wally. I wonder what he is up to. Find out for me okay? Wallace Weems is his name. Just in case I can't. I know you hate when I tell you that, but you never know what could happen out here. Tell him to take some leave time and come to Arizona to see me.
Dash told me that he called you the other night, but he didn't say too much after that. Did you have a fight? Or are you two planning something? It's not like him to not tell me everything you talked about. He's been so stressed out these past few days. I know what the reasons are, but there is nothing I can do to help him. And it bothers me. I'm supposed to make things better for him, be that support for him and I just can't right now. I don't know. I know when he's about to snap; he takes his beret off and kind of rubs his forehead. It's cute. Marvin and I try to count to see how often he does it in one day. We counted 25 once. I thought he was going to rub the skin right off his face. (That sounded kind of gross, sorry)
Anyway, back to Dash and being stressed out. There are so many times I just want to hold him and tell him everything is going to be okay. I know we shouldn't, but I tend to forget all those military rules sometimes. Sometimes I just don't care. I need to kiss my husband. I want to walk to the mess and hold his hand. I want to walk anywhere and hold his hand. A simple touch can make every thing better. We seem to have that effect on each other. Being married to him is the best thing that has ever happened to me. He absolutely completes me, and I don't know what I would ever do if I lost him. I have come close, and it has been some of the scariest moments of my life.
I can see him now. He's talking to some of the guys. They're all going over details. Every so often he looks my way and smiles. He knows I'm writing about him. He looks kind of sexy right now in those hot, olive drab pants and that black shirt, which I'm sure could be one size bigger than it is. His beret is sitting perfect on his head, and he has all this equipment strapped to him. Oooh.
I'm sure that is just how you wanted to hear me describe him. Now the next time you see Dash, that is what you are going to think of. I'm laughing out loud just picturing the look on your face.
My baby is now sitting next to me. He is resting his head on my shoulder and reading this. He says "Hello". Ahhh, contentment. Find someone to love so you know what I am talking about! His eyes are now closed, and I think he is attempting to take a nap, which is what I should do too because we have a few more hours until we reach our destination.
Caleb, do you still have that list of names and numbers I gave you? Please add Albert for me. The number is scribbled on a post-it attached to the back of this book. And remember if you ever need help, for anything, do not hesitate to call my friends.
I'm going to let you go for now, I'm not sure if I'll be able to write until we are back. You know the drill. In the event...tell Dash I love him, always have, always will.
Love you, Caleb, wait for me...

Your beautiful, smart, and loving baby sister,
Alison




Dash closed the notebook and picked up his cup of coffee. He had spent the last couple of days packing up the rest of his and Alison's things. He had turned the house over to Caleb as Alison had wanted. Dash was happy for Caleb, who had found a nice job in D.C. He was starting over again as well. Today was the day Dash would return to work. It was what he needed. He was going to fight for the freedom of his country, fight all the fights that Alison could not.
He still had a couple of her notebooks to go through; he was taking his time reading them. As much as they were helping him get over her death, every so often, it would bring everything back as fresh as the day it happened. All in due time is what he would tell himself.
Dash waited for his ride. He was going to be picked up from the house by a driver who would take him to Andrews Air Force Base, where he would get a transport to the Pitt in Arizona. He heard the doorbell ring and promptly answer it. He saw the driver standing on the porch and asked him to step inside while he retrieved his things.
He picked up the notebook that he had been reading and the others that Caleb had left and placed them in a box. He took his favorite picture of Alison off the table along with a few others and placed them in the box as well. He handed the box to the driver then grabbed his duffel from the floor in the living room. He turned to the staircase and yelled to Caleb.
"Caleb, I'm leaving!"
"Wait, Dash. I'll be right down."
Caleb walked down the stairs. He was trying to tie his tie without falling.
"I don't know what to say."
"Don't say anything, then." Dash told him.
"Thank you, for everything." Caleb hugged Dash.
"No, thank you. I wouldn't have been able to get through this without you."
"Watch your six, man." Caleb let go of Dash. "Is that what they say?"
"Yeah, I will. I'm sure Al is watching my six too."
"I know she is. Take care, Dash."
"You too, I'll talk to you soon." Dash walked out of the house without looking back.
*

Shana was the first person that Dash ran into at the Pitt. Everyone else seemed to stay out of his way. She was in the meeting room, setting up for a briefing. He stood in the doorway and watched her place folders in front of all the chairs, and then she went to the projector to make sure that everything was set.
"Do you need any help?" He asked her.
She turned around and smiled when she saw him. "Welcome back! Duke said you would be in today." Shana walked up to him and gave him a hug. "How are you doing?"
"I'm doing fine." Dash replied. "Should we make bets of how many times I'm going to be asked that today?"
"I'm sure a lot. We're all just concerned. We love you, and we missed you." Shana walked back to the table and grabbed two empty pitchers. "Now go and get us some water so we can get this show on the road."
Dash smiled at her. "Yes, Ma'am."

As the briefing went on, Dash looked around him. Michelle sat on one side of him, while Marvin was on the other. Edwin and Shana were sitting across from him. Hector and Lonzo were at the end of the table and Conrad was leading. He felt a sense of home and stability here in the company of these people. He had found a brother in Caleb. He knew that this was where he needed to be and that no matter what, Alison would be watching over him. Dash looked down at his left hand and the wedding ring that he still wore, and he could hear her whispering to him.
"I'll wait for you Dash, I love you."

Sign up to rate and review this story