Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Beyond all Things

New Life, New Beginning

by hopper12594 0 reviews

Coz it breaks my heart to see you crying. I want to see you happy. Because I simply care for you.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Sakura, Sasuke - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-12 - Updated: 2007-04-12 - 2125 words

0Unrated
SEPTEMBER 19

It's been three days since that fateful night, September 16. Sakura is still confined in the hospital due to frequent anxiety and depression attacks.

Investigations continue but still, there is no trace of both the murderer and Hirohito. The autopsy results went out the other day and it was indicted that bombs were planted inside the three bodies. They exploded after five minutes through a detonator attached to the bomb and so that explains the chopped bodies and the scattered blood. Even the knife used in opening the bodies is nowhere to be found.

The Haruno Massacre has been the headline of all the newspapers circulating in the country. Many speculations aroused due to the unusual deaths and the bizarre loss of Hirohito. It has been aired in the television's prime channels, being the object of gossips for days now. Many people mourned for the loss of such a faithful bodyguard to the prominent Uchihas. Many pity the young orphan Haruno Sakura who at her young age had already lost her family to a political war, they speculate.

The Haruno Massacre will surely lose it limelight after a few days, never to be remembered again.

Sakura, being a minor, was placed under the care of Ms. Hiroshi Mariko, a family friend of the Harunos. Legal action is taking place to grant Ms. Mariko full custody of Sakura. They will have to live in another town, away from the Haruno's house, at least.

Sakura is still being updated with the recent leads in the investigation. She was already visited by her classmates and relatives. But the most awaited is the visitation of the Uchihas.

And it happened on the afternoon of the 3rd day of her confinement in the hospital.









"Sakura! They're here!"

"Who's here?"

"The Uchihas! Followed closely by media men!'

"Mediamen??"

Sakura gazed out from the window, the sun glaring, to confirm the news and she saw the Uchihas with 6 bodyguards accompanying them. And behind them, tailing closely, are reporters.

"Puh-leeze." Tenten sighed exasperatedly. "This is a hospital for goodness' sake! Do they really need reporters behind them sticking up at their asses just to show that yes, they really visited the famous orphan Haruno Sakura? What are they up to?"

"Easy, Tenten." Hinata remarked even though she feels the same way.

Sakura looked away from her friends. She sighed heavily. She touched the willowing curtain in front of her not sure if everything will turn back to normal again.

Sakura was shaken out from her thoughts by the sudden entrance of the Uchihas. It's a strange scene. There are so many people inside this room yet it is so small.

So small...

Not wanting to be part of the limelight, Tenten, Hinata and Ino went out leaving last glances of apology to Sakura. She tried to hold them back but they disappeared amongst the throng of people inside.

Seven or so reporters and cameramen are there firing their questions and capturing scenes out of their cameras. Mrs. Uchiha flung herself unsteadily at Sakura who was in turn surprised at the sudden show of closeness of the famous woman. Mrs. Uchiha shrieked and shed tears at Sakura's shoulders. But Sakura knows that these tears are fake. At normal circumstances, Sakura might have now raged but this is a different one. She's too weak to protest.

Sakura tilted her head, obviously not wanting to take part in this nonsense, sought the prodigy. She found him leaning steadily at a corner. Her face lit up for the comfort of a familiar place. Sasuke looked up and they locked gazes. Any girl stared at this long by the Uchiha might have melted but this only urged Sakura to not break the stare.

Seconds after, Sasuke's gaze softened and it depicted an apologetic look at them. Sakura smiled bitterly.

He's not that bad, after all.

"Hey forehead-girl!"

Her face screams chastity; it's even impossible to believe that she's disturbed at this moment.

"Hey, hey. I didn't come here to launch a World War III."

Maybe Uchiha isn't so bad after all. I became so selfish these days. I only thought about myself and branded him as arrogant.
"Quit staring. I know I'm handsome."
The first time we met, I knew there is something in her. Even though we continued to fight these days, there is something in her that calms me, that makes me happy.
"You're cute."
After all since the first time we met, I had a secret crush on him. We should be friends. I shouldn't have ignored him when he's showing signs of ceasefire.

"In fact, you look good when you're blushing."

Am I falling in love with her? It's too sudden, if I am. But I knew I have something for her even before we met.

"So I think I should make you blush every time so you'll look good."

Uchiha Sasuke...

"Hey, Ms. Sakura! Look here!"

Sakura instantly looked at the source of the noise.

Pop!

Blinding glare of the camera.

"Easy, dear. You might choke. I saw you're very sound asleep so I decided not to wake you up."

In its lens
"Bye, honey! Take care!"
You are reflected.
"Sakura! How many times do I need to call you?!? Come down!"
Then tomorrow, they will see your face

"This is my youngest daughter, Haruno Sakura."

Again in the crumpled paper of the daily news

"Sakura, act like a girl!"

And your face plastered on their screens.
"Sir...please...I beg of you. Not me, my family how about them...I..."
A camera captures
"No. I want my children to grow up normally."
Life.
"She's having a seizure Mom!"
Memories.
I was born in a poor family.
Moments.
We struggled to survive. My dad worked as a bodyguard.
Reflects, focuses on one object.
I was always teased because of my eccentricity.
How does it feel, my blossom
I was tortured in the past. We often get many death threats for Papa is the bodyguard of the prominent Uchihas.
To be the center of all the attention?
I was emotionally disturbed once. I often got anxiety and depression attacks.
To be under the scorching glare of the people?
But we were financially helped by the Uchihas.
To be under the light?
And since then, my life changed for the better leaving all the memories and the shattered hopes of my tortured childhood behind.
When your soul is completely in the darkness?
"Never give up! When there's life, there's hope!"
If a camera can capture life
"Who is bullying you? Come on tell me and I'll kick his ass."
Can it also bring back life?
I'm still hoping, hoping beyond hope, that all the stars would grant me my wish, my one and only wish. I'd give anything to the world just to see my family alive. Once more.
No! Don't focus on me!

Why dear?

Camera only captures life.

It is not righteous to capture something

Dead.

My soul

Is dead.

Lifeless.

Like my family.

I don't want to see the light.

It mocks me.

"Oh God! Ms. Sakura??!!!"

"Call the doctor!!"










"Hey, you're okay?"
"Oh, yeah. Sure."
"You fainted a while ago."
"And?"
"So....you're okay now?"

Silence.

"I told you I'm okay!! How many times were you born??"

Silence.

"Idiot. I was born only once. What do you think I am, some sort of an alien?"
Popping veins.
"Grrr....You're so dead Uchiha!"

Smirk.

"And why are you smirking, chicken-hair?" Enraged.

No answer.

"Answer me, bastard!!!!!"
"Hey, who's bastard, girl?"
"Obviously, it's you. Hello?!? Am I cross-eyed?"
Silence.
"I'm glad that you returned to normal now."
Sakura froze in her killer-move tracks. He's right. He's right. Consciousness and reality began to sink in. "You're right." She answered calmly. " I have been unusually quiet these days. Hey, you can't blame me, I'm an orphan now and---" Sakura felt awkward to continue. It still hurts. She looked away in embarrassment.
Sasuke noticed the sudden tension in the atmosphere. He understood. "It's okay." He assured. "I'm just saying that I thought that you will recover fast, in front of other people at least. I'm not used to your, like you know, sudden quietness. I'm used to seeing you smile. Happy." He ended it with a shrug.

"You're actually happy about that?"
"Yeah, Uchiha. Give me a reason why not?"
"Yeah." Sakura said shrugging. It never occurred to her that Sasuke can be a friend. She only thought of him as someone arrogant, annoyingly-perfect, rich, spoiled brat. After all, they have only been acquaintances for just few days. But they instantly created a spark. Yes, a spark. How does she know? She felt it. After all, since the start, she has feelings for the prodigy.
"Hey?" Sasuke inquired.
"Hm?" Sakura looked up.
"You're okay? I don't mean physically but emotionally and maybe mentally."
Grrr. What does he mean by that? That I am mentally retarded?? Sakura pouted and she crossed her arms. "Well," she wants to sound professional. "The usual, sorrow, grief and melancholy." She shrugged.
Silence.
"They are just synonyms, baka."
"Don't call me that, baka."
"Me? A baka? How dare you call me that?!?"
Sakura sounded so insulted, she can't stop herself from being angry and shouting at Sasuke. "Okay. For your piece of mind, Uchiha, I'll tell you the truth." Sakura felt so enraged especially when she saw that Sasuke smirked. "I feel so disturbed, so shattered! At just an instant, I am an orphan, I'M ALL ALONE! Do you understand that Uchiha? Or your pea-sized brain can't contain the information. It hurts. It so hurts."
Tears.
"I've never even had the chance to say goodbye! I'm so regretful! And you know this feeling of vengeance, of revenge! I feel so, so war-freak, I want to shred to pieces that damn killer! But I realize I can't because I'm weak! I'm weak!! I despise th-this irritable weakness! That I don't even had the strength to recover! I DON'T WANT TO CRY! But I just can't help myself..."
Tears.
Silence.
Tears.
It's so hard to see your angel crying there, so pathetic, breaking down. And what hurts the most is that you can't comfort her. Because words itself seem so hopeless to say.
So hopeless to say.
Coz it breaks my heart to see you crying. I want to see you happy. Because I simply care for you.
"Oh, man! This is your entire fault. If I see you again, I swear, I'll--"
"What? Blush madly again at me?"
"It's okay to cry."
"What?"
"It's okay to cry." Sasuke repeated. "my brother..."
Damn it.
"My brother once told me that it's okay to let out some tears especially when you think you have cried enough in your heart."
You think you have cried enough in your heart.
"And," he continued. "Don't take revenge."
Sakura smiled. "Why? You're concerned at me?"
"Who said? You're just freaking me out."
Sakura laughed.
"Why are you laughing??"
Laugh.
"Let's be friends, Sasuke."
Coz it breaks my heart to see you crying.
Silence.
I want to see you happy.
"Okay."
Because I simply care for you.
"I am Uchiha Sasuke. Nice meeting you, Haruno Sakura."





SEPTEMBER 22
It is the start of the autumn.
"The Lord is your shepherd. He won't let you be alone in the darkness..."
Sorrow and grief fills the air of the morning of September 22. It is the funeral ceremony of the Harunos. All are wearing black; their eyes depict sadness and pity. This is the end. The last respects.
Sakura is not crying. Beside her are her adopted parent and her friends. She knows that she'll not be alone. Ever.
With heavy feet and a battered heart, she approached the three coffins. She took one last look at the calm, serene faces of her family. This is the last time she would see those faces again. She traced the silhouette of her father's face in the mirror. She would not cry. For the sake of her family. This is the last time.
Sakura withdrew away. She stood there momentarily as she watches her family being buried. All the memories and moments began to flood in.
"Cherry blossoms...."
"Sakura, they're beautiful, aren't they?"
"Yes, mother."
"Do you know that you're named after them?"
"I am?"
"Yes, my dear. Thus the name Sakura."
"But don't cherry blossoms signify death?"
"Death?"
"Yes. Because cherry blossoms fall to the ground during autumn. Doesn't it signify death?"
"Yes, somehow dear. But in the hope of death springs a new life, a new beginning."
"A new life, a new beginning?"
"Yes dear. Cherry blossoms signify hope that amidst the darkness, there is the light."
"I love my name..."
"Don't ever lose hope, Sakura."
"Never."
Silence.
Silence.
Tears.
"Goodbye, my cherry blossoms..."
Sign up to rate and review this story