Categories > Original > Historical > Jade of the Wind

Ribbons of Red

by ice 0 reviews

Qian's sacafice...

Category: Historical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor - Published: 2005-10-23 - Updated: 2005-10-23 - 961 words

0Unrated
Anger a feeling that could not be estimated in length of my current position. Anger; an understatement, I was furious! How could he, how dare he? To marry me off as if a property!
"Please, princess, calm down," Ren smoothed me, but was only to be answered with a vengeful pillow of mine.
"Calm?" I shrieked. "How can I? How can he!"
Fire, blazing flame, I feel like I was engulfed by fire like a phoenix rising from ashes.
I do not understand. How could my brother make such decision without the consultation or my approval?
I refuse. I utterly and completely refuse.
"Princess," Ren wiped a stray tear from my cheek. "I understand your anger and distress. However, for the nation," he smiled gently, "please consider."
I slowly turn to face him.
"For the nation," I echoed.
"For the nation," he said.
Losing composure, a wrenched sob escaped my throat, and with a jerk of my aching heart, I collapsed into his arms.
"For the nation," I muttered over and over again against his chest. "For the nation."
For the nation, I will marry. For the nation, I will become. For the nation, I am broken.
The news of my marriage spread like a wild fire. Before the first nightingale could bring me the tunes of the spring, already the courts had heard and are talking in whispers. I do not know how much more time do I have before the full agreement is completed with the Hongs, but I pray it would be forever.
I stood at the entry of the chambers of my brother with Suo and Ren. He had call for me earlier.
"Qian," my brother beckoned me.
I went to him.
"Tomorrow," he said, "you shall leave for the Hongs."
I felt my life ending.
"So soon?" I croaked out.
"Yes," he replied. "Ren and Suo, along with maids and guards will accompany you on the journey."
"I see,"
"Go pack now," he kissed me softly, "and may the spirits of our ancestors guide you."
I bowed and walked away. "If it is the spirits that who guides me, it would guide me away from the path which that of your choice for me, brother," I thought sadly.
I retrieved to my room and stared blankly at my chamber. This is the last time I will ever be here...here in which my life began and develops. Looking out toward the night sky, I wonder if the stars and moon are the same it is here than the moon and stars at the Hong household.

The Journey
We started the journey at the dusk of dawn...it is noon now. I wasn't happy, but wasn't unhappy either. Perhaps it was the wide horizon, or it was the swirls of colors, or it was the endless green that washed away my sea of sadness.
"Do you like the birds, princess?" one of my maids giggled as a rain of colorful feathers swooned past us.
I grinned and tossed some crumbs out to the winged beauties.
"You should eat, princess, not feed the birds," Ren scowled.
I didn't like his scowl and looked at Suo for help. Suo smirked mischievously with a glint sparkling in his light green eyes and nodded toward me.
Walking casually to my side, Suo scoped down and grab a handful of the rice. With a grin still firmly in place, he tossed them suddenly at Ren.
Clearly unprepared, Ren didn't have the time to defend himself. He blinked surprisingly as the sticky rice landed upon him, covering his face and armor. He looked like a giant rice ball.
There was a moment of silence before a battle cry erupted from Ren.
"SUO!!!" he shouted, "I WILL KILL YOU!"
Suo took off as Ren ran after him in hot pursuit.
I laughed madly at the enjoyable and unexpected event. This journey is not half dreadful.
We continued on with our travel after Ren had successfully hunted down Suo. When the both returned, Suo was covered in mud with a smug Ren looming ahead of him.
"You should chain your guard, princess. He is quiet violent!" Suo pouted.
Ren clouted Suo over the head angrily.

Fallen Night
When the news of the princess engagement reached his ears, he wanted nothing more than to attack the kingdom and claim Qian as his own. But as a leader of the Red Dragon, he must be patient.
"Qian..." he growled. He will make her his!
"Well, well, it looks like Huan of the Red Dragon has fallen for the bird of the jade," a voice crackled loudly in the shadows. "How charming," sarcasm oozed thickly down the word "charming."
Huan glared at the source of sound and snarled, "What do you want, sister?"
"What do you believe I want, brother?" the shadow answered smartly.
Losing patient, and with a burst of anger, Huan's hand shot out to grab the intruder.
"What do you want!" Huan's eyes glared into a pair of calm dark eyes.
"Want?" the calm figure drawled out, "I want the bird."
"The bird is mine," came the possessive declaration.
"Not while I still draw breath!" growled the vicious girl.
Without another word, Huan's sister stormed out of his chamber.
Huan stared after her and groaned in frustration. He ran a hand down his chocolate brown hair, lost in thoughts. "So she still blames him for his betrayal," he sighed. "But did Suo really betray us, or is he just choosing a path that he truly believes in? After all, is he not one of us?"
Shaking his head, Huan cleared his mind of questions. "This is not such the time to think of such trivial matter. If the alliance is made, we must act fast."
Sign up to rate and review this story