Categories > Original > Historical > Jade of the Wind

Gathering the Present

by ice 0 reviews

A shadow watches the jaded bird.

Category: Historical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2005-10-23 - Updated: 2005-10-23 - 550 words

0Unrated
He sat on the top of the roofs of the Imperial Garden, just sitting there and watching like a hawk at its prey. His eyes could not leave the beauty in front of him.
"Qian..." he murmured, "such a beautiful name."
It have been five years now, Qian was 10 then and he was just 12. He was just a mere assassin then, sends to kill her brother, but met her instead. Fear...he saw fear in those brown orbs that day. And how can he resist those soft rose lips of her. He promised to be her death. And the war is approaching fast; it won't be long before he fulfills his promise to her.
Huan smirked. The Qing Dynasty will fall! Digging his blade into his flesh, he marked and renewed his promise.
"We'll meet again little princess," he whispered to the winds. "We are intertwined by black thread, and I am destined to be your death!"
With that, Huan slipped into the dark of the night, unaware of the shadow that lurks after his wake.
"So, that is the little bird which captures Huan's eyes. How amusing," sneered the shadow, whose red eyes glowed angrily as the bird disappeared into the sanctuary of its cage.
"How utterly amusing indeed..."

Standing Guard
He had always watched her. He had always protected her. Perhaps it was her kindness, or perhaps it was her clumsiness, nevertheless, he serve under her alone. He was hired shortly after the attempted assassination; a complete uproar. Many were skeptical of him. Only 12 at age, what good is a child? Yet, it was she, her generous, and her kindness to him when many were not. So perhaps it was her trust that won his heart.
Ren stood by his post as he watch the Prince exited her room.
"Guard Qian for us," Prince Jing ordered with a smirk, which seems to inform him of another escape attempt by the Princess.
Ren nodded back good naturally and replied, "Does your highness expect her grace to stop her childish attempts by next winter?"
Jing chuckled. "Not likely."
Ren bowed and tilted the hilt of his sword in acknowledgement. "I understand, my prince."
Jing smiled, and nodded off his leave.
Princess Qian, Ren mused, " the pride and joy of the Dynasty, with her golden brown hair fluttering in the breeze, with her divine voice singing toward the faeries of the mountains, with her...she was a work of perfection, and Ren am honored to serve her...to protect her, to....
"Brother Ren!" a voice interrupted Ren's thoughts. "Brother Ren! Have you heard the news?"
"What news that you speak of Brother Suo?" Ren questioned earnestly.
"The news of Princess Qian's marriage," replied the captain guard. "The Prince is hoping for an alliance between the old Hong kingdom, thus presenting Princess Qian as bride."
Ren drew a sharp breath in. "Is that wise?" he argued. "The Manchus had conquered China but only to tie with the Hongs?"
"It seems so," Suo nodded gravely. "It is not by choice, the Red Dragon rebels are quiet experienced in battle. To win, we need greater force."
"But to sacrifice the princess?" Ren hissed.
An awkward silence fell upon them, and Suo shifted in unease.
Finally, Ren sighed," I suppose I should inform her highness."
Sign up to rate and review this story