Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius

Goodnight

by cassandra 2 reviews

Delilah thinks about her parents. It's a one-shot/songfic with the song Lullaby by the Dixie Chicks.

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-04-15 - Updated: 2007-04-15 - 2412 words - Complete

2Moving
Delilah and Julius laid on Delilah's bed studying different knot tying techniques. Well Delilah was studying, Julius was just laying back listening to the radio.

"Shut that off. I'm trying to study."

"Well music helps me study."

"Maybe I would believe that if you were looking at a book or something." Delilah sat up on her bed.

"I'm picturing the knots in my mind." Julius closed his eyes and traced a granny knot in the air with his index finger, well at least that's what Delilah thought it was.

"I'm shutting it off." Delilah went to shut the radio off.

"No." Julius sat up and was about to try and stop her, but she wasn't turning it off. Her finger hovered over the power button, but didn't push it. Julius looked at his partners face. She was just staring at the stereo as if she was in deep thought. "Are you okay, De?"

Her voice was barely over a whisper, "I know this song."

The music was soft and it had a slow tempo and the voice was just like the music, soft and slow.

"They didn't have you where I come from
Never knew the best was yet to come
Life began when I saw your face
And I hear your laugh like a serenade.
"


FLASHBACK

"Delilah! Come here sweetie." The little, five year old, brown haired girl dove under the king size bed in her parents bedroom. It was past her bedtime and her mother was looking for her. "Delilah, its way past your bedtime. Your father let you stay up long enough. Come out. I'll sing the song for you."

Delilah grabbed one of her father's dirty shirts, that were under the bed, to try and hid herself more, as she saw her mothers feet walk into the bedroom.

"How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough, is forever enough
How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up.
"

Delilah took a deep breath in and exhaled through her nose. She knew she was defeated. Her mother was singing that stupid song. Delilah didn't really think the song was stupid actually it was her favorite song and she always made her mother sing it when she went to bed. Well whenever her mother was home, which wasn't all that often, but one thing she didn't like about the song was that it had some sort of power over her. She always gave in when her mother would sing it.

She slowly crawled out from under the bed. "There you are." Delilah stood up and saw her mother. "Do you want me to carry you to your room?"

"No. I'm a big girl. I can walk."

Her voice had a slight bit of anger in it and her mother could tell. "It's already past your bedtime, dear. If I were here you would have been in bed awhile ago. You're lucky your father let you stay up this late."

"I Love daddy." They had reached her bedroom.

"Of course you do. He loads you up on pop and junk food. Then expects me to put you to bed." Delilah smiled as she jumped onto her bed. "Do you want me to sing to you?"

Before Delilah could say anything, she heard the doorbell ring. In a flash she jumped up and looked out of her bedroom window, to see a small dark green car. "Mommy why is Andrew here? Are you leaving?"

"Yes, me and your father are going to work." Delilah sat back down on her bed, wearing a frown. "Don't worry we'll be back before you wake up. We're only going for a little while."

Her frown turned to a small smile but only for a second, then it turned back to a frown. "Are you guys going to be tired in the morning?"

"Yeah a little, but we'll still be here."

Delilah asked in a whisper like voice, "What about the zoo?"

"Oh yeah, your father promised you didn't he." Delilah slowly nodded her head. "Well we can go another day."

Delilah laid down in her bed and pulled the covers over her head as she whispered, "You guys always break your promises."

Her mother rested her hand on the blanket where her daughters shoulder was, "I'm sorry, but we're very important and busy people. When you're older you'll understand what we do." She didn't get any response. "We'll take you to the zoo tomorrow."

"Don't say it if you don't mean it."

"I mean it. We'll take you in the afternoon. Okay?"

"Okay." Delilah poked her head out from under the covers as her mom got up to leave. "Wait where are you going?"

"Downstairs."

"Are you going to sing?"

"Oh Yeah. I almost forgot." Her mom sat back down on the edge of her bed.

"As you wander through this troubled world
In search of all things beautiful
You can close your eyes when you're miles away
And hear my voice like a serenade.
"

"Come on we have to leave!" Delilah's father yelled up to her mother.

"Sorry Delilah, but I have to go." She gave her daughter a quick kiss on the cheek and went down stairs. Delilah pushed the cover off of herself and went to the top of the stairs to watch her parents leave. Her mother pulled on her coat as she said to her babysitter, "Thanks for coming this late, Andrew."

The tall black haired boy smiled as he said, "No problem. I like looking after Delilah. Hell I probably see her more then you guys do. I'm kidding." As if he was talking to himself he said, "Actually I think I do see her more than you guys."

Delilah's dad was already out the door. "I know we're always busy. Sorry about that." Her mother walked out her the house and as she closed the door Andrew said something. She wasn't sure what it was, but she thought he had said, You shouldn't be sorry to me, you should be sorry to your daughter.

Delilah ran to her bedroom and opened her window so she could hear her parents.

"Andrew's right." It was her mother.

"About what?"

"He's looks after Delilah more then we do."

"Oh that. Well we are busy people, we save the world. We protect millions of people."

"But still. She's our little girl she should be the most important thing in the world to us."

"She is."

Her mother's voice was quieter so Delilah had to listen well. "I want to quit."

There was a pause then her father spoke. "Are you sure?" She didn't hear her mother say anything so she figured she had nodded or something. "Okay then. We'll tell Al and Scarlett that this will be our last mission. Then we can spend all the time in the world with our little girl."

Delilah closed her window and sat back down on her bed. She had the hugest smile on her face. She knew that once she woke up in the morning her mom and dad would be home and they would never have to leave her again.

Delilah thought about going into her parents room and grabbing the CD that had the song her mom sang to her, but she realized that she was already pretty tired and wouldn't need the lullaby. Plus her mother sang the song different from the people who originally sang it. Her mom sung it slower and her voice was softer.

She rested her head on her pillow and in a few minutes she was fast asleep, with her dreams full of happy thoughts.

How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough, is forever enough
How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up



"Get up!" Delilah's eyes shot open as she was being violently shaken. "Come on we have to leave! Al grab some of her things."

Delilah heard a loud crash from the corner of her room. She couldn't see what had happened, but she guessed that someone had fallen down. From the spot where the crash came, a voice spoke, "Like what?"

The person who was holding said, "Just grab some cloths from her dresser."

Delilah finally spoke. "Mom?" Her room was dark so she couldn't see who was holding her. I light shone through her window as a car outside drove by. The light was only there for a brief moment, but in that moment Delilah saw who was holding her and it was not her mother. "Get away from me!" Delilah kicked the dark woman in the stomach and screamed at the top of her lungs. Finally a hand covered her mouth. She tried to bite the hand, but it was covering her mouth too tight and she couldn't even open her mouth. So Delilah flung her arms and legs around trying to get the stranger off of her. That didn't work either. The woman has strong and pinned her down easily.

Finally after their little wrestling match was over, the woman rested her head near Delilah's ear and began speaking, "Delilah. I'm your mother's friend. She ask me to come get you. Now I'm going to take my hand off of your mouth, but you got to promises me not to scream. Okay?"

She nodded her head at the promise. The woman slowly toke her hand away. This would be the first and the last time Delilah ever broke a promise to this woman. Soon as her hand was away from her mouth. Delilah inhaled and let out an even louder scream than before. At first the woman couldn't decide whether to cover her own ears or to cover Delilah's mouth. Finally she covered Delilah's mouth.

After a while the woman spoke to her again. "Your mother wouldn't like you breaking promises. Now you're going to come with us. You can come peacefully, but if you act how you were just acting I may have to do something hat I don't want to do. It may sound like a threat, but it's not, I'm just telling you. Now I'm going to take my hand away again."

She took her hand away and this time Delilah didn't scream. She just asked, "Are you going to take me to my mom and dad?"

"Come on, Scarlett we have to go." The voice still came from the corner of her room, but now she could tell it was a man.

"Okay Al." The woman or Scarlett said to the dark corner of Delilah's room. Then she turned back to Delilah. "Come with us and I'll explain on the way. Okay?"

"Okay?" Scarlett held Delilah's hand as all three of them walked downstairs and out the door to their car. The man, Al put a suitcase into the trunk of the car and then jumped into the driver's seat. Scarlett opened the back seat door for Delilah to get into, then she got in the back with her.

Delilah looked out the back window as the car drove away from her beloved home. Soon they turned a corner and the house was out of sight, forever.

Delilah and her family lived in a small town so shortly after they left her house, they were in the country, with tall pine trees on both sides of the road.

Delilah stared out at the nights sky as she asked Scarlett, "Are you going to take me to my mom and dad?"

"Not now, but you'll see them soon." She waited for Delilah to say something, but when she didn't, Scarlett continued. "I'm not sure if they even told you, but your parents are spies." They never did tell her what their job was, but Delilah didn't tell Scarlett. "Anyway before they left to go on the mission they told us it was their last mission. We said okay and they left. Even thing was going fine then they called us and told us to go get you immediately and to bring you to the academy." There were a lot of questions that Delilah wanted to ask, like what the academy was, but instead she just let Scarlett tell her story. "They didn't exactly say why. All they said was that something had gone wrong and they would contact us when everything was okay. Oh and your mother said she was sorry for breaking her promise and that they would take you as soon as they get back. I don't know what she means by it, but I assume you do."

Delilah did understand what her mother had told her friend. She was sorry for breaking her promise about taking her to the zoo and they would go as soon as they contacted Al and Scarlett.

How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough, is forever enough
How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up


However they never did contact them.

END FLASHBACK

Delilah remembered all those times she would wait by the phone for them to call and all the times she would ask Scarlett if they had called and she remembered how every time she asked, Scarlett eyes would look a little wet as she said, no and went on with her day. She remembered how she would go cry in her room and how Julius had always been by her side no matter what. That blonde kid always made her smile. She remembered the first day she realized just how much she liked Julius. It was on the ten year anniversary of the last time she saw her parents. Julius had stuck with her the whole day and tried to comfort her, but on that day not even Julius could make all the pain, that those two people had caused her, to go away, but he still tried.

Delilah thought about all those wasted nights spent crying over two people she barely ever saw. Two people who always broke their promises. Two people who always left her with their 15 year old neighbor. Two people who didn't even take her to her first day of kindergarten. Two people that didn't even know that the other kids pick on her. Two people she could no longer call her parents.
Sign up to rate and review this story