Categories > Cartoons > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Purple Rain

chapter one

by ajshellcat 0 reviews

April gets a job as a roaming reporter and leaves NYC and the TMNT behind for four years...what happens when she returns? Don/April pairing

Category: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Romance - Published: 2007-04-15 - Updated: 2007-04-15 - 1150 words

1Moving
Author's note: this is an answer to a challenge that I came across on stealthy stories. This is my first April and Don pairing so we'll see it how it goes!


April O-Neil sat across from her boss in his office all the while staring at him in pure amazement. Had he really just said what she thought he did?

When she'd arrived in his office, she was sure it was for another lecture about her usual technique of prodding a little more than he was comfortable with when she hunted down a story. But hey, she and the public wanted all the facts, not just the bare essentials.

But much to her surprise, that hadn't been the case. She'd been offered a job as a roaming reporter. That meant that she could be sent anywhere in the world at any time depending on how proverbially 'juicy' a story was and get to cover it.

As if reading her thoughts, he kept speaking. "I know you seem shocked, but I have actually been paying attention to how good you are at your job."

April smiled at that.

"So, that's why I trust you to take this job and really make something out of it."

He handed her a folder. "This is your first story. Good luck with it and make us proud back here at home." He said this with one of his few and far between genuine smiles.

"I promise you, I will!" with barely contained excitement, April shook her boss's hand left the office.

Clutching the file, April walked briskly down the hall of the newsroom and out of the building.

First and foremost, she had to tell her best friends the good news. As she walked to the customary manhole she always climbed under she read the file her boss had given her.

When she read just where she was going first, she nearly squealed out loud with joy. April was going to Paris.


The atmosphere wasn't so happy in the lair at the moment. It was filled with tension and barely restrained fear.

Michelangelo had full-blown influenza or in shorter form, the flu...and it was bad...really bad.

And now, the boys feared the worst though they never outright said it.

They all sat in the living room, not saying a word. Each of them had a grim look on their face.

This was the scene that met April when she entered the lair.

"Hey guys, I have..." She frowned upon seeing them. "What's wrong?"

It was Leo who answered her. "Mikey's sick...really sick." From the way he said it, April knew this wasn't your typical cold or stomach ache...this was worse.

"It's influenza." Donny said quietly, looking down at his toes.

As if accentuating his statement, a loud, dry cough was heard.

"Oh, I'm so sorry..." She said and hugged the purple-masked turtle. Donny clung to her for a long moment before letting go. In turn, she hugged the rest of them who were grateful for the support from their human friend.

"Can I see him?" the reporter asked tentatively.

Donny shook his head, albeit reluctantly. "No, he just got to sleep...he was up for a good couple of days with his...symptoms." That translated into much trips to the bathroom for Mikey and emptying his stomach's contents.

"This is scarin' the crap out of us, April." Raph said while fidgeting with the tails of his bandana.

That comment caught April off guard. Usually in a hairy situation, Raph would never voice his fear. He would simply sit there, silent and angry. Or, he would storm into his room not wanting to interact with anyone.

But here he was...sitting with his brothers, looking just as fearful as they were.

That meant only one thing...this was really bad.

And here you are, leaving them...when they need you most... Her conscience scolded.

Guilt assaulted April but she stifled it. There was no way she could have known this ahead of time...

"Well, I have some good news..." April began lamely. She knew it wouldn't make up for Mikey being sick, but perhaps it could temporarily alleviate their pain. "I got a job as a roaming reporter today..."

The turtles each managed small smiles. "That's great, April." Donny said, sounding sincere despite the situation.

"What's a roaming reporter?" Raph asked.

"That means I get to travel around the world to cover stories instead of just here in New York. The first place I go to is Paris, France."

The turtles all exchanged glances, showing they were impressed.

"When do you leave?" Donny asked.

"Not sure..." April dug out her tickets and read the date for her flight out loud.

Now they all looked alarmed. "That's tomorrow, April." Leonardo said, looking distraught.

April bit her lip, re-read the date and realized the turtle was right.

"Yeah, I guess it is..."

Raph now looked angry. "So, you're gonna abandon us while our bro is sick and we need yer support eh?"

April frowned at him, guilt riding her hard. "I didn't know...not until I looked just now..."

Raphael ignored her and just stormed off, muttering something about her being a traitor before slamming his bedroom door.

"Please don't go, April..." Leo pleaded, "We need you..."

Donny nodded in agreement with his brother. "Yeah, April...we do..." I do...

"Who would be able to get the medicine that Mikey needs? It's not like we can go to a drugstore..." Donny added, trying to reason with the reporter.

"I'm sorry, Donny..." And she truly was. April saw the heartache in the turtle's eyes and for a moment she was sorely tempted to give in and stay. Donny had a way of tugging at her heart in a way that nobody else could.

Of course, we know that's because you have feelings for him, April... her conscience reminded her.

And you know damn well he feels something for you too...

That was one thing unspoken truth between the two. Neither of them acknowledged it or admitted it since they both knew it wouldn't work out. Humans and turtles simply didn't mix when it came to romance...Friendship could work, but nothing more...

Donny just stood there, feeling a mixture of anger and sadness as he stared at April.

At least she's not leaving for good, Donny...she'll be back...

That thought alone helped Don keep his heart intact. "Have fun in France, April."

April gave the turtle a small smile. "Thanks, Don." She gave Don heartfelt hug which he returned.

"Don't worry...it's only for a couple of weeks...then I'll be back." She promised.

April stayed a while longer, just comforting her friends before she finally had to go.

"See you guys, later..." she called out as she left the lair.

Little did any of them know...but later was a long time coming...
Sign up to rate and review this story