Categories > Original > Mystery > Drowning Memories: Gone But Not Forgotten

Chapter Three

by the_oddity 0 reviews

Rachael continues building a friendship.

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-04-15 - Updated: 2007-04-16 - 342 words

0Unrated
David was right where he said he would be. His eyes met hers and he nodded her over to the table. She walked over and sat down across from him. He smiled. "You find your classes?" He asked. Rachael nodded. "Yeah. The school looked much more interesting the first time I saw it, when I didn't actually have to GO to class." David laughed. "I'm just surprised you could function without me at all," He said sarcastically. Rachael laughed, too. It felt good. She hadn't had friends in a long time and she hoped that she and David would become friends.
They talked about music for a while, and then, a dreaded question. David asked her if she wanted to go down to the beach with him. Rachael wanted to go, but the ocean...she just couldn't. "I don't think I could..." She said hesitantly. "Aw, come on Rachael. I really want to get to know you better," David said in a soft voice. Rachael could have sworn she saw him lean in slightly. Rachael backed slowly away. "I can't," She said truthfully, trying to gain her confidence. If he kept this up, she'd have to give in.
"Can I at least get a reason?" David said hopefully. "It's not you, if that's what you're wondering. It's me," Rachael tried not to smile at David's attemted hurt expression. Then it changed to a smile on his face. "You're pulling break-up lines before we even go out," he said. Rachael had to laugh. "No, it's just-" "Don't even worry about it," he said, "Your decision." He was still looking at her hopefully. Rachael sighed. "My parents were killed when I was twelve. They were drowned, and I haven't gone near open water since."
David gaped at her. "Rachael, I am so sorry. I never would have asked if I had known..." "It's ok," Rachael said with more confidence than she felt. "Forgive and forget, right?" David looked down. "No, it's not ok. And I'll make it up to you one day. I promise."
Sign up to rate and review this story