Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

High Winds

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

Tru embarks on the first leg of a very long journey. Thank you to all who are reading. Really I appreciate you dropping by!

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-04-15 - Updated: 2007-04-16 - 1090 words - Complete

0Unrated
I'd chime in with a "Haven't you people ever heard of closing a goddamn door?!"
No, it's much better to face these kinds of things with a sense of poise and rationality.

Panic at the Disco


It had been a matter of slipping unnoticed in to the train. He'd found that the easiest part after the car had been abandoned. Getting to the station had been a long walk and hitching a ride had proved to be an annoyance as the guy talked most of the way there. His hand idly thumbed over his mobile. He needed to charge that. He needed to get a break at some point and he had to avoid anyone searching that case.

The ride left him stiff and unhappy as he stepped off the train and headed to the next airport. This was always the fun part, the long winded part of his journey. He never carried much with him as he didn't need to. He made the call to the security desk and arranged a meeting with the manager.

"You said you needed me." The Frenchman said wandering down. Tru appreciated that he spoke in English to him. His French was certainly rusty and probably so bad it was insulting. "What can I do for you?"

"Might we talk somewhere else?" Tru asked him and finally the manager sighed and left him to his office. He put the case on the table before sitting down and explaining the situation and the options. "Make the call and they will pay you for the inconvenience I am sure."

"This is a little... strange Mr... Hellion." He stumbled.

"It's just Hellion." He said as gently as he could. He was aware of the guy trying to size him up or maybe just try to spot something obviously freakish. "Here is the number. I need to be on a plane. Please."

The manager looked at him like maybe this was some kind of camera prank but he picked up the phone. He seemed unhappy at being put on the spot but at this point Tru cared very little. He watched the manager's curiosity peak when he got through to the number. He listened to the automated instructions and then took down a couple of references. These were then passed to Tru. Tru nodded and quickly worked out the code which he punched in via the phone.

"Hellion?" The voice could be heard clearly even though he was not the one holding the receiver.

"No I am calling because he wishes to fly and I would like confirmation about a few things." The manager stated.

"Ask nothing, what account details can we use. We will pay everything and more if you skip security. He is a very important person." The manager looked over. Was this a mob set-up. "The Vatican will refund any expenses. He is a priest with special immunities."

Two hours later Tru was sat at the waiting room and watching planes moving around. If he was honest he hated flights. He hated the gut-wrenching feeling as the plane took off and hated the lack of control he had over the situation. He shuddered as he thought about crashing. Okay so it was not irrational as most people had a fear of falling to their doom surely?

Prague was his destination and then a car or train over to Kutna Hora. He sighed as he watched families in the distance attempting to keep children calm or occupied. He missed Charlie already. He resisted the urge to call Thomas and meet up with her. He had a job to do. He had to get rid of Fielding and Iterations. He headed through the terminal to the plane and settled in the chair with his airport store brought book.

The plane trip was short, the take off unnerving but at least once they were in the air he relaxed a little. He tried to concentrate on the reasons he was doing such a journey. It was curiously easier to put a brave face on his fears with Charlie around and he looked out of the window briefly. The sun was enveloped now and then by white fluffy clouds. He was still stuck on Charlie's words about the rain when he realised that there was a face near him.

He turned in his seat to see a teenager who had deposited himself on the seat nearby. Tru looked over and went to open his book. The teenager watched him. Tru pulled his collar up a little more and tried to concentrate on reading and not the stranger that was staring openly at him.

"Okay can I help you?" Tru said finally as he realised they were still staring.

"No... Just wondered what you did to skip security." The kid said playing with the lead to an MP3 player.

"I'm a priest. I have special permissions." He said and opened the book. There was something to be said about a decent horror.

"I don't know many priests that read gore." He pointed out as Tru picked up the book.

"You don't know a lot about priests then." He answered hoping the kid would just leave him the hell alone!

"I know you ain't got a collar on and you are carrying something in that case. Look man I'm just concerned. You read a lot about bombs on planes and shit." He said honestly.

"I do not have a bomb." Tru said bluntly. "Nor do I need to wear a collar twenty-four-seven. In fact there was nothing written in the commandments - thou must forsake all reading pleasures and wear a black shirt with white collar or be condemned. You think they'll smite me down for having an hour's pleasure on a plane?"

"Like the hell I would know." The kid laughed. He seemed content to talk and Tru closed this book and let him discuss his run-in's with religion. As the plane got ready to descend the teenager stood up to go back to his seat. "Well I guess if there were more priests like you I'd go to church."

Tru smiled at that. If only they knew. Blood stained hands, lonely soul and about to try a suicide mission. No the world did not need more priests like Tru. It needed more like his old Father. They needed 'content with the world' priests and Tru was anything but that. He shoved the book in his pocket and belted in. The world needed a little normality, Tru would never provide that.
Sign up to rate and review this story