Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

Midnight Dreary

by RenoTurk 1 review

Tru is lead to a deeper path of deceit...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-27 - Updated: 2007-04-27 - 1054 words - Complete

0Unrated
That I would be loved even when I numb myself
That I would be good even when I am overwhelmed
That I would be loved even when I was fuming
That I would be good even if I was clingy

That I would be good even if I lost sanity
That I would be good
Whether with or without you


Alanis Morissette

Plane rides, trains and finally the walk to the Alchemists Museum. He didn't really have any interest in it. What he had an interest in was the logic behind arguing with the small group of guardians and trying to kidnap him. He had met others hiding like he had and he understood that each one of them carried fears about being found or exposed.

He stepped in to the museum and looked at an array of information boards and read notices about famous alchemists. Turning lead to gold, it appeared, was not the only thing alchemists were interested in. Some sought longevity of life and others had founded the basis of some modern sciences.

"What I find most interesting is that you took the oldest lead to find out more." Shanemah said peering through a display cabinet housing a selection of anatomical drawings. "Do you like what you see?"

"If I am honest I think not." Tru said as he watched him with steel blue eyes. Shanemah cocked his head, interested in why and Tru explained. "I understand the need to improve life, surgery and medicine. I do not understand the need to expose it." He admitted. "When I was a child the catacombs scared me."

"You were faced with mortality at a young age." Shanemah said appearing next to him. "This place is a morbid curiosity but you should see the Ossuary." The way he said made Tru feel like perhaps he needed him to go there but Tru didn't like the sound of that although he nodded and headed behind him.

They headed out two miles, Shanemah and Tru walked in the crisp air and not a word was spoken. By the time they had walked those two miles however the evening had drawn in and the light was rapidly fading. The stars were clear for all as they moved and he felt the cold familiarity of shadows playing around them.

"This is the best time for you is it not Hellion?" Shanemah said as they arrived.

"Shadows and darkness allow my natural reactions to sharpen." He admitted and looked at the Sedlec's chapel and surrounding graveyard. "This place... it feels like death but peaceful."

"It is a curiosity to those that know of it." He said as they walked through the graveyard.

Even in the dark it looked very white and pure and it felt like he was doing something blasphemous just being there. On the top of the main building black wrought iron skull and cross-bone designs could just be made out amongst the night sky. Tru followed Shanemah in through the wooden doors, down the short few steps and in to the chapel proper.

They moved inside and he had to stop to take in the sights and Tru looked over the entirety of it. He looked up to see decorations made of bones, human bones. He had never seen something like it and he looked to Shanemah who turned on electrical lights. Tru looked up and saw a chandelier made from strings of skulls with large bones hanging down. It looked macabre and eerie as a cherub sat on another pillar of skulls near it playing a golden trumpet.

"This place... why did I need to see it?" He asked his mouth dry.

"Because I told him he would loose his life if he did not." Stated a cold masculine voice from the other side of an archway. "I'm sorry Hellion but I had to get you here somehow."

Tru's hands went to his pockets and withdrew the pistols in lightning speed as he looked around and dived behind a glass display cabinet housing skulls and more descriptions. He had no idea what was going on and it seemed that Shanemah had too much of a divided loyalty. He cursed the lights as they blocked his ability to draw on the shadows.

"I'm sorry Hellion." Shanemah called as he ran towards the doors. "I didn't want to set you up!"

"Shut up and stay out of the way." The voice called again and Tru used the shouting to try and guess where he was. Shooting wildly in here was not an option.

He looked briefly around to see movement towards the door and slid that way too. He needed a shadow or two, if he was shot this exposed it was going to obliterate his body. It started as a strange whirring noise above him and reached a crescendo quickly. The noise appeared to be a strange device with rotary blades with fell from the sky. Tru rolled across the floor with a strangled yell of pain as it clipped his tail.

"I have all the advantages. Surrender." The man yelled and Tru spotted him on the top of some archway steps.

He stood up and looked around, there in a doorway he could see the light was dipped. There was a chance he would be able to use it to his advantage. He ran across the open floor and fired a couple of test shots towards the figure.

The figure slid away from his view and Tru put his back to the shadows welcoming the cool wall. He spotted Shanemah running back in. His loosely-termed ally flipped a light switch turning off the most powerful lights. Tru whispered a prayer of thanks. Now here in this macabre display he could try and take someone out who had the means to control something as powerful as Shanemah.

"I don't like to surrender." He whispered as the shadows wrapped around him. He moved his hat off, dropped his coat to the floor and pocketed the guns again. Now it was the Hellion's turn. His body covered in shadows like smouldering flames he took a step in to the centre of the ossuary. His tail whipped around as it sharpened and his hands grew claws. The steel blue eyes began to glow and Hellion looked for his prey.
Sign up to rate and review this story