Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > Words of a Wilted Rose

A Loss for Words

by KiMoNo-ChIcK 1 review

Michiko and Momo have finally decided to stay with Momiji and his father. However, Momiji doesn't want to socialize because he hasn't seen his mother in so long.

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Momiji, Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-04-17 - Updated: 2007-04-18 - 447 words

0Unrated
"...Du siehst wie mutti aus." Momiji awoke in bed to a young blonde girl poking a finger at his forehead and only inches away from his face. "Du siehst wie mutti aus (you look like mother)." Momiji recognized the girl as Momo, his younger sister that had been brought up by his mother.

"Momo-chan!" A voice called from down the hall. The footsteps of high-heeled shoes came clacking to the doorway of Momiji's room. "Momo-chan!" Momiji looked up. It was his mother in the door, looking down at Momo concernedly. Momo pointed at Momiji and repeated, "Wie mutti." Michiko rolled her eyes and kneeled down beside Momo. "Liebchen, das ist nicht dein Zimmer (Love, this is not your room)," she whispered.

Michiko looked at Momiji and stood up, holding Momo's hand. "I'm terribly sorry, Momiji-chan. Momo is learning German and Japanese at the same time, and sometimes it's hard for her to confuse the two." "Ja, alles ist in Ordnung (Yes, it's okay)," Momiji replied, smiling. Michiko looked surprised and asked, "Oh, you speak German, Momiji-chan?" Momiji didn't reply for some time, remembering that it was his mother who was his German half and had taught him his first German vocabulary at the age of two. "Um, yes, I learn it in school!" Michiko smiled, "Well, that's very nice! I had no idea they were offering such broad language classes at secondary schools nowadays."

Momiji heard his mother and father talking in the hallway about the guest room. "I hate to impose on you like this, Kaoru-san, but we have no other place to stay." Momiji recognized Michiko's voice and held his pillow tight to his chest. "No, Michiko, please, it is mine and Momiji's pleasure to be hosting you and Momo-chan." "Arigato, Kaoru-san. Momo-chan, say thank you." "Danke." There was the sound of laughter, most likely that of Kaoru, and then Michiko's voice again. "I'm sorry...lately she only wants to speak German, I can't get her out of the habit. When she's not spouting German words, she's completely silent." "It's alright. Let me show you to your room."

Momiji sat in his room for much of the day, listening to his mother unpacking and constantly telling Momo not to put things in her mouth. He laughed at the joyful noises she made. It was one comment, though, that made Momiji stop. Apparently Momo had placed a cover over her head and temporarily blinded herself, and Michiko giggled. "You are so wonderful. Ich liebe dich (I love you)." Momiji felt a pain in his chest. "Ich liebe dich auch (I love you too)," he whispered, and placed his head upon his knees, trying not to cry.
Sign up to rate and review this story