Categories > Games > Skies of Arcadia > Raiders of the Lost Heart

Chapter 13

by ImonZ 0 reviews

...

Category: Skies of Arcadia - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Aika, Fina, Vyse - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-04-21 - Updated: 2007-04-21 - 2694 words

0Unrated
Chapter 13

"Death is on my mind."

The Delphinus sailed on a steady south-south-east course straight towards Horteka. The Black Pirates' ships had been lost from sight, so the three Blue Rogues decided to get information about pirate activity in the area. They had just passed by the old hideout, old since the king had moved back to the village. A cold wind blew in through the hole in the right section of the front-window. Vyse had offered to take Aika's place as she was directly exposed of the blustering wind. She had denied to his offer, quite bad-temperedly actually. But Vyse understood that Aika was quite upset, and not to mention very worried for Esteban. They all were.

It had been so horrible to see Fina being taken away, while they couldn't do anything about it. Very few people would board a Black Pirate ship and face its whole crew. Esteban had done all that with no thoughts about it. Vyse could never imagine, for instance, Lawrence to do something like that. Well, at least not without being paid for it. Esteban was not hired, that was the difference. When a battle started, mercenaries took care of their own skin and those who were in their contract. Now they had it proved, double-checked and spilled out that Aika had been right about him all the time. Of course, no one had doubted her words last night when they sat in the tavern. But to see it for real was just...

What mattered now was to, with all means, save him. He had risked his life for Fina. Vyse swore on his honour as a Blue Rogue to get back Esteban.

xXx

I awoke slowly from my unconscious state. The pain in the back of my head reminded me of what had made me faint in the first place. From my lying position, I looked around and found that I was in a small windowless room. Probably a cabin since I felt the distinctive rocking of a ship. There was no furniture and there was no mattress on the small bunk I lay on. When I tried to sit up, I felt something was wrong with my arms. I looked down and saw that my wrists were handcuffed.

Not a good sign.

"You're awake, you bastard," I heard someone say.

I raised my gaze and saw a man standing on the other side of the room. But since the cabin was so small, he would only have to take two or three steps to get close. He was dressed in a long red coat and he wore a black hat with a purple feather in it. The scars in his face told that this was a man who never turned down a fight. The most conspicuous thing about him was his eyes. I had seen that sort of eyes before but thankfully never myself being exposed to that sort of person. His smile was twisted. Not physically, but mentally. This person was the very symbol of rule by terror.

"Welcome back to the world of the living," he said with a dissimulated smooth voice. "Although, what's for living, it's all up to you."

I knew far better than to argue with him. I was totally left to his whims, all alone. No one would raise a finger for my sake. The situation was far from envious. I stepped up from the bed.

"Where am I?" I asked, straight on.

He answered with a quick, unexpected, hard and most painful slap straight across my face. The hit made me stagger.

"You are at a place where I and no one else asks the questions!" he screamed. His voice carried a slight touch of hysteria, then he returned to his usual. "I'll let you know that you're aboard my flagship, the /Bruto/. And if you haven't lost your entire mind already, you were previously aboard the /Delphinus/. I am sure that you were in Vyse's crew."

He pronounced "Vyse" as a swear word. It didn't take a genius to realise that this man was a Black Pirate. Their relationship to the Blue Rogues in general and Vyse in particular was all too well known. The day had really started quite bad, if it was morning.

"I'm not a Blue Rogue," I answered.

"That doesn't excuse anything. But I can have some use of you anyway. First of all, tell me what type of business you had with. And if you leave out one slight detail, I'll have your hand cut off."

I had no doubt that he would be up to his promise. This was it.

"I had found a map leading to a treasure in Ixa'taka," I started. "I met Vyse in Nasrad and..."

"Spare me the details!" he cut of. "Just tell what you were doing in Ixa'taka!"

There was no point in denying it, I was scared. I actually feared for my life. I had no intention to show it outwardly, it would encourage the madman in his slapping-fare.

"We found an old Black Pirate base. There we salvaged the remaining treasure and started to sail back. Then we ran into you."

"An old pirate base," he repeated thoughtful. It was all just a part of his sick act. "Strange that I haven't heard of it, then."

"It lay beneath the sky," I replied, shortly.

"And when you got this treasure from this questionable base, you were going back," He pointed hard in my chest with a well-cut pointing-finger. "I'm very curious to find out where this base is. You'll tell me."

I wished I had the map with me. Last time I saw it, it was aboard the /Delphinus/. I thought quickly and then stated:

"In the north-west of Ixa'taka, next to an ancient city named..."

Then he quickly clenched his fist and smacked me right on my chin. As I was in the middle of talking, my teeth clanked together with great force. My cheeks' insides came in between. I turned by head aside and coughed. In my mouth, I could feel the metallic taste of my own blood.

"Not the treasure-base, idiot!" the captain screamed. "Tell me where Vyse's base is, if you want to survive!"

So there was a way to get out of this! Vyse had always been a pain in the arse for all Black Pirates, the one who killed him and his friends would certainly be rewarded, infamous and feared. I thanked myself that I had wore my compass. East of Valua, that would be easy, and I would be free.

"I don't know," I heard myself say.

The captain glared at me with eyes that were out for my blood. I figured that I had put a foot wrong.

"What. Did. You. Say?" he said, spitting out the words individually.

"I don't know where Vyse has his base. He and his crewmembers steered and navigated themselves to prevent me knowing the location."

The captain stared at me as if I was completely mad. I found I had to agree with him. What the hell had I just said!? Now I had to save my own skin, I couldn't care for anyone else. I never did, and it would be totally out of the question to start doing that now!

"You are wrong," he said, smiling devilishly. "One of my men deserted during the fight. His last words were that four people had been on the bridge. You know more than you want to tell, and I don't like that."

I had expected at least a punch in my face, but all he did was to push me down on the bunk, then he walked off to the door. He opened it, then turned around to face me.

"I feel that you aren't willing to tell it by free will. I'll have some friends to beat out the information from you. Think of that until they arrive."

He stepped out, then closed and locked the door. Leaving me to my own little misery, and to curse my stupidity. Wasn't it enough that I had rescued Fina from the Black Pirates? I had done more than I was obligated to, and I had no plights to them whatsoever. Wasn't I a mercenary? Wasn't my life more precious than some Air Pirate's? Why should I help them? So why hadn't I told him the location? I heard some steps outside of the door. I knew all too well what was coming. That man was a psychopath, his methods belonged in the blackest of all nightmares. And now I would get the full taste of it...

xXx

Finally, the city of Horteka had been reached. The Delphinus lay docked just outside of the all too small harbour. Vyse, Aika and Fina dismounted the lifeboat which they had traveled in from /Delphinus/, moored it and stepped up to the harbour. Already as they had sailed in, a huge group of people had assembled. They wore the typical red facemasks and were dressed in the common green cover clothes. One of the men was Vyse's ex-lookout: Tika'tika.

"Welcome, warriors of Quetya," he greeted. "And before you say anything, I have observed several Black Pirate ships all around Horteka.

Concerning his eyesight, "all around Horteka" probably meant halfway around the whole of Ixa'taka.

"That's what we wanted to know," said Vyse. "We had a run-in with some of them up north."

"You aren't the only one," said Tika'tika. "Even we have met them."

"You have?" said Fina. "When?"

"Exactly one week ago," the perceptive man answered in a bitter tone. "Unfortunately, it occurred at the same time our fleet was getting armored and equipped. We were hit pretty hard."

Armoured and what ?

"Wait a second," said Vyse. "Did you just say equipped?"

Tika'tika nodded.

"A large group of Black Pirates have occupied the Moonstone Mountain. We were getting ready to fight their fleet, but they struck first."

That explained a lot. Ixa'taka hadn't really been known for being a nation of ships, much less one of warships. To go from practically zero to a whole battle fleet would seem a little suspect perhaps, but in this case, an exception would be preferred and welcomed.

"Well, then we at least know where they are," said Vyse. "We would like to have a word with your king. Can you take us to him?"

Tika'tika led the way in to the village. It was a great sight as always. Streets and wooden-huts built in total harmony with the nature. The sounds of waterfalls could be heard and occasionally singing birds. It would look peaceful, if not for the reason they had got here. Aika had always had a special place in her heart for Ixa'taka, but now she seemed more resolute. Not so surprisingly.

They were taken a route consisting of ladders, poles and slides. Finally, they stood outside of a two-story hut. Not much separated it from the other houses. Inside, on a throne, sat the king of Ixa'taka. He looked every bit familiar as he had done before, although Isapa didn't stand at his side. Might be just as well. Any dirty suggestions would make Aika go berserk right now. The king didn't seem so surprised, since news traveled quickly in Horteka. But he seemed amused to see them.

"So, I see that the winds of fate once again have blown you three to Ixa'taka," the king started.

"Well, it's more like the Black Pirates' malevolence," said Vyse.

The group started to tell how they had met Esteban in Nasrad yesterday. How he had acquired the map, the trip to Ixa'taka, then finished with the encounter just some hours ago. Mainly, Vyse and Fina talked, Aika was unusually quiet.

"So they abducted him," the king said, after the story was over. "Then they surely have him at the Moonstone Mountain."

"And that's why need help," said Vyse. "Tika'tika said they have about a whole fleet. And even if we got some more crew for the /Delphinus/, it would be dire to attack them on our own."

"That's why we have to go as soon as possible!" Aika said, a little tense.

Vyse nodded, then said:

"We are willing to fight at your side to help you get rid of them, but first we need to save our friend. How long will it take until your fleet is ready again?"

"Ever since the assault, we have worked to restore the ships. We have all necessary crew. In two days, we'll be ready to engage battle and retake our holy ground."

"Two /days/!?" Aika exclaimed. "He could be killed a dozen times even before you get to leave harbour! Vyse, we have to leave now!"

This was a painful decision to take, and Vyse was not happy about it.

"I know, Aika," Vyse said, his face was a mixture of frustration and worry. "But as the situation is now, we don't have any choice!"

Aika stared at him as if he was out of his mind. Her eyes were a equal share of anger and anxiety.

"Vyse! What are you thinking, really! They took him from our ship, it's very likely that they'll believe he's a Blue Rogue! Don't you realize what that could mean!"

"I know, I know! But what use is it if we don't have a fair chance?"

Before Aika got to say anything, Fina said:

"When the pirates had me out on the deck, they said I would be their hostage. Only now it's Esteban."

"So then it would be pointless to make the only weapon against us... worth much less," Vyse said, then realized he sounded too harsh. "It's their way of thinking. And also, what would they do to Esteban if we assaulted them? We could blast the whole mountain to bits, but they would still get to him before us. And they probably expect us to save him. Last time we went in there, the Valuans didn't have a clue. His only chance is that the Black Pirates believe that we'll negotiate."

Aika's gaze shifted between her two friends. Slowly, she calmed down, but she was still vexed.

"OK, we'll do it that way then," she sighed. "But I feel so worried for him."

Vyse laid a hand on her shoulder.

"I promise you, we'll do anything to get him out of there. And we will succeed."

xXx

How long had this been going on? I had stopped taking notice of time, as I had stopped counting my cuts and bruises. My shirt was ripped to pieces from the whipping, now it hung in damp rags, mixed with my blood. There wasn't a single part of my body that didn't ache. All thanks to the whips, daggers and iron bars.

I hadn't got any time to rest, nothing to eat or drink. All I got was the torture and the question of where Vyse had his base. The beating came in periods. Occasionally, I would get a few minutes on my own to "think over my situation". But I wasn't alone. There was always one pirate there whose job was to make sure I didn't fall asleep. Every time I closed my bloodshot eyes, I would get a taste of his hard knuckles straight in my face. And every time, I promised myself to tell them the location. But when they came back, all I could offer was a blank stare and the repetitive "I don't know". I had given Vyse and his friends enough time already. Why did I keep this up? Right now, he and his gang were probably back at Crescent Isle, joyous over their treasure which now had been doubled, with no thoughts on the lousy nuisance of a mercenary who got left in Ixa'taka. Little did they know that the Black Pirates would ambush them at their base, kill them and hold up their heads as trophies.

Now I could hear the door rattling. I promised myself, no matter what, not to show any signs of pain, anguish or despair. Would I perish here?

A fitting end for this life... Then the door opened...
Sign up to rate and review this story