Categories > Games > Skies of Arcadia > Raiders of the Lost Heart

Chapter 14

by ImonZ 0 reviews

...

Category: Skies of Arcadia - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Aika, Fina, Vyse - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-05-04 - Updated: 2007-05-04 - 4423 words

0Unrated
Chapter 14

Jailbreak


While the Ixa'takans waited in anticipation, Aika and her friends waited with restlessness. Vyse mostly sat with the king and his advisers to discuss the assault. Fina and Aika attended the meetings as well, but as soon the sessions were over; Aika would join the warriors at the training grounds. She hated waiting; it was easy for her to grow restless. Aika was not in a good mood, but she would of course keep herself together. She couldn't afford to break down, she had to be strong, for Esteban...

xXx

"I hope you realize this is your own doing."

He said as the cat o' nine tails lashed down on my back.

"You only have to tell me what you know, and it will stop. But you won't. It's your own fault."

He had a point. But at this rate, would he think "East of Valua" was enough? Probably not. Now it was too late. It was quite a miracle that I could keep myself together, even if I started to drift away. Within me, I had a sense of obstinacy that had been planted in me from my early years. If I thought something was right, it was. I hated this Black Pirate with all I had left, he would not get to know the location! Ever since that day so many years ago, my whole life had felt like an epilogue. No need to struggle anymore. It might as well end here.

At least for a good reason...

xXx

The night before the battle, a real surprise arrived at Horteka. However, this time it was a positive one. Coming from the north was the /Claudia/. Ever since the last time Vyse and Fina had seen Gilder, he had been on the run from Clara. Now he had been looking forward to a pleasant time in Horteka. But just a few words from Vyse had made him change his mind. Relaxing yes, but if a band of Black Pirates were residing nearby, no one would get any rest. Gilder had, along with his crew, whole-heartily accepted to take part in the battle, but not as their captain had thought it to be, Vyse had other plans...

xXx

And so, at dawn, two days after Vyse and his friends had arrived at Horteka, the Ixa'takan fleet was finally fully prepared. The ships were small, but very manoeuvrable. Their strength lay in their numbers, which was two to one against the Black Pirates' much larger ships, and a strategy that involved hit and run and short tactical retreats, rather than stay and get blasted. All in all, it was an impressive and great sight as the ships took off from the eastern harbour and set sail at straight south. They would travel to the border and assault Moonstone Mountain from its south side, hoping to draw the Black Pirates' fleet away. The fighting would then gradually be moved away. Meanwhile, the Delphinus would, under Gilder's command, travel to the Northeast side, seemingly having no affairs with the Ixa'takan fleet, but still keeping its distance from the base. In the chaos that followed, Vyse and his friends would move into the mountain, free Esteban and then get the hell out, going back to their ship. After that was done, the Delphinus would join the battle, and together with the Ixa'takan fleet put an end to the Black Pirates' menace. It was vital to make it seem like Vyse had no business with the Ixa'takans. Else, Esteban would be arcwhale bait.

"It's time for us to go," Vyse said, as they stood in the harbour.

Aika and Fina nodded and stepped onboard the small Ixa'takan sailboat. It was just big enough for the three of them. It relied both on its sails and a small engine, powered by moonstones. The ship was coloured green, to meld in with the forests. Vyse untied the ropes that moored the boat to the landing stage. It was a windy day, the sails were quickly filled and soon they were on their way. The course was set straight west from Horteka. Their destination was a small island just north of the Moonstone Mountain. In the southeast, the Ixa'takan fleet could vaguely be seen, sailing towards the South Ocean.

"Almost there," said Vyse. "Lower the altitude."

The little ship dropped in height and soon lay just above the trees. The sails were reefed, to make sure the boat stayed in place. From this island, it was just a short southbound jump over the sea to the Moonstone Mountain. In the distance, five or six huge Man-O-Wars could be seen around the mountain. The sails were black, a horned skull was painted each. On each side of the decks, six or maybe seven cannons lay in rows. They looked well armoured enough. Fina took out her binoculars and turned her gaze to the east, where the Delphinus was approaching. Onboard that ship was Tika'tika. As soon as he saw that the two fleets clashed, he would give a signal and then Vyse and his friends would make their decisive move. It wouldn't be enough to just see them take off. They wanted the Moonstone Mountain to be cleared out as much as possible.

"I think they're coming," Aika said, watching the mountain.

Sure they were. Now they could hear the sound of cannon fire, like a distant thunderstorm. The Black Pirates were caught by total surprise. After some disarray, the fleet made a clumsy turn-around and fired. The ships in the Ixa'takian fleet were small, but they had one edge: five ships with long-distance cannons. On ships as small as those they wouldn't do much damage, but still enough to not be ignored. But, ultimately, they would definitely need help from the /Delphinus/.

"Tika'tika is giving the signal," Fina said, putting down her binoculars.

The Black Pirate fleet started to move out of sight, joined by a few other ships that probably had been positioned around the south side. This would be a though battle for Ixa'taka. The Blue Rogues would have to hurry.

"Okay, this is it," Vyse said, the Moonstone Mountain lay unwatched. "Full speed ahead!"

"Shall we put up the sails?" Fina asked, as the boat moved forward.

"We don't need to," Vyse answered. "And there's a chance that they might spot us."

As soon as he had said that, the boat quickly dropped in height, but only so far until the fall was broken. Even if all Black Pirates were out, it didn't hurt to be careful. Even if you had broken out of Valua's Grand Fortress twice you weren't immortal, so being cautious wouldn't hurt. Especially if Esteban's life depended on whether they got spotted or not.

The sight of the Moonstone Mountain grew as they got closer.

"So what shall we do?" said Fina. "Dock at the mountain's foot like last time or sail to the top?"

If Esteban was in the old cells, it would be preferable to dock at the top than run up through the whole mountain, possibly risking going around in circles. But up there, they would be sitting ducks.

"At the bottom," said Vyse. "If the lifts are still there, it should be a breeze."

How many times had they got into situations like this? Breaking into a Black Pirate base was a pleasure with clear limitations. But it was their job. And their duty, for what Esteban had done for them. There were risks, but they would make it through. Vyse had all trust in Aika and Fina.

xXx

Except the fact that I had been moved from the ship to some sort of cell, everything was just the same. My senses started to fade away more and more. But I did notice that the torture became less intense. Probably they were worried that I would pass the border too quickly, taking my secret with me. But it wasn't less tormenting because of that. Especially since the captain was present.

"Who do you think you're protecting?" he said. "Those Blue Rogues who let you be captured?"

And? As if I didn't knew that already! I had learned the hard way that the world consisted mostly of people who didn't have a care in all Arcadia for their fellow humans. Why should I care? But I knew they hadn't "let" me be taken.

"At least you can answer!"

Even if I had wanted to, I couldn't. In answer to my silence, he pulled out a long knife. Its blade boasted several tooth. It almost looked like a saw. Meaning, it didn't look good. For me.

"Hold him still," he said to his subordinate.

I was not in any condition to put up a fight. They had noticed that, so I didn't have to wear my bindles. I had resigned both in my body and in what could be called my soul. While I was stuck in the grip, the captain brought out a small jar filled with some grey-yellow liquid. He smeared the knife's blade with the jar's content. The liquid dripped on the floor. This didn't seem promising.

Slowly, he brought the blade against my forehead, just above my eyebrows. I felt the touch of cold and sharp steel. He had a smile of anticipation on his face.

With a sudden thrust, he drew the blade across my forehead. I could feel my skin burst, and then a red inferno of pain bubbled up inside me. Twice, and then for a third time, he cut very slowly to make sure that the pain was unbearable, and it was. When that was done, he splashed my face with the remaining liquid. It found its way inside my open wounds, cuts and eyes. By now, I couldn't hold back my anguish and screamed out in pain. By reflex, my hands wanted to reach out for my forehead, but my arms were locked in a hard grip. The smarting pain burnt like fire.

"Well, well. You have some voice left after all," said the captain, making no attempt to hide his psychotic happiness. "This hydrochloric acid gives it a bit of an extra touch, don't you think?"

Slowly, the worst pain started to fade away. How could anyone do something like this to someone else? I had seen victims of evil, but never been one myself. Only that time for so many years ago. It had scarred me within.

"I don't know if you are much for... affairs of the heart," said the captain. It made no sense, but then he lowered the knife, pointing its blade straight at the left part of my chest. The cold blade touched my bare skin.

Had I longed for this to end? I didn't want to finish my days as a pawn for this abomination. But the key words were "finish my days"...

"This is the last time I ask," said the captain. "Tell me the location of Vyse's base, and you will be set free, otherwise, we'll see how well you can sustain life with no heart."

Being heartless? He sure would know how it felt. I saw him pull his arm back, preparing for the thrust, his eyes glimmered with evil. Then, all of a sudden, my resignation gave way for fear.

"Wait." I could hardly recognise my voice. It was so raspy and dry.

"Did you just say something?" he said, and brought his acid-dripping knife against my chest, without piercing it. "Or did I hear wrong?"

Just a small touch would be needed to stab my heart. I gathered my remaining strength. These were the most important words of my life.

"They're... at..."

Come on!

"... at the..."

Say it!

"... the east of..."

I had to stop and take several breaths. For once, the captain kept his trap shut. If I was willing to talk, nothing would interfere. Unfortunately, his henchman didn't quite agree with that.

"Tell him, you Blue Scum!" he growled.

When I didn't reply, he simply pushed me with all his might straight into the wall. I had no strength to stop myself as I slammed into the very hard wall. I almost thought my skull had cracked. I immediately fell sprawled down on the floor, feeling too exhausted to get up. My face was pressed against the floor, and I didn't bother to open my eyes.

"You idiot!!" screamed the captain. "I almost had him, and you ruined it all for me!"

"Uuuh, sorry capn'," was the sheepish answer. "Is he dead?"

"Not likely. How he put up with all this for such a long time is quite a feat." He paused. "Let him sleep for a bit. Now that the natives' fleet is upon us, I have better things to attend to. But you'll remain at the base. I don't need you to mess up anything else."

"Alright, but what if he doesn't speak? What'll I do then?"

"Isn't that obvious, you twit? Head's off, of course! You can throw the remains of him into the sky."

I heard the door slam, and then I was alone. Of course I hadn't fainted, although it had been pretty close. It was all quiet around. Slowly, I kneeled. I blinked to make all the white spots in front of my eyes go away, and then I could vaguely spot my bunk. Slowly, I crept closer to it, then I stretched out my soar arms and heaved myself up. If I only had a few hours left in life, I did not want to spend these moments sleeping. But I had a choice. Like I always had. But what would it be?

I could feel my life and conscious drift away. To just relax felt too tempting. I let my eyes close, and just sink down in a blissful state of nothing, trying to reconcile with my fate.

...I'm sorry...

xXx

Cautiously, but not too slowly, the three Blue Rogues sneaked up along the path the led inside Moonstone Mountain. Far, far away, the sounds of cannons could be heard. Vyse kept his gaze forward, upwards, always ready for an eventual Black Pirate. From behind, he could hear the sound of Aika and Fina's footsteps against the ground. No one said anything, unless it was necessary. Especially not Aika. Ever since Esteban had been captured, she seemed so resolute. All that mattered was to free Esteban. Nothing wrong with that, not at all. Vyse would also do anything to rescue Esteban.

Now the group had reached the point where they only had a few meters left to the fence. This was the first place they could be ambushed at. Vyse turned around to face his friends.

"I'll go first," he said quietly.

"You don't need to," said Fina.

Vyse was just about to object when Cupil popped up. The little creature floated up against the wall, then he carefully rose. When his eyes were over the edge, he chimed.

"All clear," Fina translated. "Let's go."

The Blue Rogues quickly went up the last part of the path, whilst keeping an eye out to the left in between the fence. It was the same sight as always, it hadn't changed at all. Probably, the Black Pirates had just moved in. They might as well have burglars right now. Vyse took the lead and walked into the S-formed tunnel that led into the mountain. He kept his cutlasses out, ready to strike if anyone approached them. Nothing did happen, however, and soon they stood in the huge entrance room. It was quiet as the grave.

"The way to the lift is to the right," Aika said and started to walk.

Vyse quickly grabbed her shoulder to stop her.

"Wait! Remember last time?" he said and pointed down at the floor.

There it was indeed, the big button they had stepped on during their last visit over six months ago, the button that had warned De Loco of their presence. It had even got expanded, so there was no reason to believe that it had stopped working. The main-rule in sneaking was to not announce your presence to each and everyone who could hear wailing sirens and such.

"I don't think we can jump over it," said Vyse. "And Cupil couldn't carry us over, huh?"

Already as he said that, Aika had heaved herself up to the rail that ran along the edge. Quickly she climbed past the button and soon she stood on the other side.

"Come on," she said, impatiently.

Vyse and Fina climbed across, while Cupil floated over. At their front, they could see an open door that had led to the mines. Wherever it led now was totally uninteresting, and they had no intention of finding out. Instead they walked into the door to the right. Where the tunnel turned to left, a torch could be seen, giving off spare light. Just around the corner lay a new door. This one would lead to the room where De Loco nearly had had them crushed under the spike-filled roof.

Just as Vyse was about to open the door, they heard the sound of awful singing and, most important of all: footsteps! It came from behind the door. Ten to one it wasn't a welcome party for Blue Rogues. Vyse and his friends quickly turned around and walked out of the tunnel, back to the hall. They couldn't be sure of how many there were. If they had to fight, it would have to be done quickly and quietly.

"Stand at the sides," Vyse whispered. "We'll take them by surprise."

"I'd rather take them now," Aika muttered while holding her boomerang, ready to fight at any moment.

Back in the hall, they took posts just at the side of the door, Vyse and Fina stood at the right side while Aika took the left, waiting for whatever was to come. Hopefully it wouldn't be that many. Soon they heard the distinctive sounds of footsteps. They were very close. All out of sudden, Aika decisively jumped out in front of the door and with a quick "Hah!", she threw of her boomerang. They could hear a quick gasp and then a cry of pain as Aika's weapon hit its target.

"He's down and out," Aika stated. "Let's go."

Vyse and Fina peeked into the tunnel. They could see a man in the same sort of uniform as the Black Pirates who had assaulted the Delphinus two days ago. Down, yes. Out, definitely. From the bruise in his head, it looked like he was dead, but a closer inspection showed he was still breathing. The group quickly carried him out and put him behind the door. Fina still had a rope from their treasure hunting, so they used it to tie the Black Pirate up. Together with the muzzle, it was a perfect little wrapped up package they had made. They placed him behind the door.

"I would be worried if it was all too easy," Vyse said, trying to ease the mood. "So this is how they welcome Blue Rogues."

"If they've done anything to Esteban" started Aika, "I'll give them a welcome." Her tone showed it probably wouldn't be a merry one.

With the enemy out of the way, the Rogues made a second attempt to progress forward. The door that led to De Loco's old death trap was still open. Just as they were about to enter, Vyse stopped.

"What are you waiting for?" Aika said to Vyse in an annoyed voice. "Move it."

"I was just thinking," Vyse started. "What if this thing is still working?"

Even if the Black Pirates didn't have any plans to let in Blue Rogues, it would be a shame to let such a wonderful trap be of waste. Vyse and the rest moved back a bit, making sure no one could spot them from the controls.

"They'd probably try to take us all," said Fina. "Maybe if we run one at a time, at least one of us might pass."

"What do you mean with 'at least'!" Aika asked.

"I meant that one of us could stay behind," Fina explained. "If everybody goes at the same time, they will activate the trap."

"It depends on how many of us they think there are," said Aika. "Vyse, what do you think we should do?"

Split up, they'd be vulnerable. But, it wouldn't be much good if they all turned to minced Rogue meat. But with the battle going on outside, maybe the Black Pirates were distracted enough to not keep an eye on the trap. That was the whole point actually.

"Fina, do you think you can send in Cupil to see if anyone is up there?" Vyse said, finally. "If it's empty, we'll just rush."

Cupil glided up next to Fina. The silvite quietly told him what to do, and that he had to be careful. Careful as in sneaky, that is. Slowly, Cupil flew in to the big room, and then suddenly changed colour. Now he would meld in perfectly with the wall. The little creature took it to the left. Now he had disappeared out of the Blue Rogues' perceptive field.

"If the trap is working, I should go," said Vyse. If he could keep Aika and Fina away from the chance of getting squashed, he would.

"No," Aika said straight out. "I can't sit still while Estie is locked up. I'll go."

Aika seemed, if not cold, then at least more adamant than usual. But right then, Cupil returned. He chirped wildly.

"No one is there," Fina translated.

With that said, the Blue Rogues quickly ran across the room. The bloodstains that still remained on the floor gave witness of all the innocent prisoners who had tried to escape for so long ago. Hopefully, Esteban would be luckier.

xXx

In the distance, I can hear the sounds of cannons. It doesn't matter to me. Soon, I'll pass the border, leaving this world forever. Is there an afterlife? If so, what would it matter to me? If there is a paradise, then it will be a positive change, but I doubt that. If there is a hell, well, I know that no matter how cruel life is, it can always get worse. If nothing but an endless sleep is awaiting me, then why worry? At least, no one will miss me. I have done my best, but the world had clearly shown that I was misplaced and unwanted. But is it my fault?

The door suddenly bursts open. I slowly turn my head in the sound's direction. It's an unexpected but somewhat logical sight.

"Esteban!" she cries and rushes towards me.

After some thinking, I remember that it's Aika. I met her a long time ago, before this inferno started. Behind her stands this girl named Fina. So they have made their way in, fought with the Black Pirates and learnt that... I have given away their secret. Killed by a friend sounds nice, but it isn't. I know this is a world of betrayal, injustice and darkness, but I had expected... a bit more from them. Even now, Aika tries to choke me, although the grip isn't nearly hard enough, and her arms don't lie around my throat, more around me.

"What have they done to you?"

Nothing she can't finish. Strange, she sounds like she really cares. Almost as if she is on the verge of tears. Fina doesn't look much happier either.

"We've got to get you out of here," says Aika. "Can you walk?"

Why walk? If I am going to die anyway, can't I at least sit down?

"We'll have to help him up. Fina, give me a hand!"

All of a sudden, I feel my body being brought up from the bunk. The quick momentum makes me even dizzier. I can stand on my own, but it feels I will hit the floor if I try to walk.

"We're taking you out of here," I can hear Aika say. "We're leaving."

"Trust us, it's over," says Fina. "They won't have you."

There's something in her voice which makes me realise that it's all over. Not my life, but this ordeal. But can it be true? Am I just dreaming? Maybe the Black Pirate had missed his duty, and I had been given a chance to sleep. Soon, I'll be back to where I was. I prepare myself for the beating that will come. But nothing happens. My vision doesn't fade away, I don't find myself lying on the bunk. I'm still standing, and now I am led out of the cell I thought I would perish in. What is dream and what is reality?

"We got him!" says Aika.

Another familiar person appears. I recognise him as Vyse. He has his both cutlasses in his hands, but for some reason, I don't think he's after me. He seems relieved to see me, but in the next instant, his face turns into shock.

"What the...What did they do to you?"

My gaze is turned down, chin hitting chest. I am too exhausted to speak. I can see several bruises on my body, most of them still have fresh blood. It's a gruesome sight, but I don't react. Maybe I'm totally broken inside. Who knows what else has happened to me? I'll be most lucky if I can make it out of here alive. Vaguely, I can hear Aika and Fina saying something to Vyse. I don't hear what it is, I don't even care. The next moment, Aika and Fina drag me away, my legs move automatically. I can feel a slope in the road. It makes me almost fall down, but I have to keep myself together. All that matters right now is to make it through.

"If I ever find the one who did this" starts Aika, "I'll make sure he'll live to regret it."

"We can worry about that later," Vyse says, taking the front. "He's probably out there somewhere, waiting for the Delphinus."
I don't remember the rest of the way. It's all a big blur. My eyesight is fading. But after a long walk, I can feel blustering winds against my bare skin. The coldness finally brings me out of the shock. I can think clearly, but I have trouble to speak. There is something I have to tell them. The pirate is soon going out, I must warn them before I...

The eternal darkness clasps me at last
Sign up to rate and review this story