Categories > Cartoons > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > The Other

The Other

by karailegon 1 review

A female turtle has lost her family and everything she has ever charished. She is alone in New York. She is attacked an injured. Then she meets the turtle bro's and Leatherhead.

Category: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-04-22 - Updated: 2007-04-22 - 4005 words

0Unrated
The Other



It started as a drizzle, then after a incredibly loud crash of thunder, it became a full fledged storm. The rain came down, bucket after bucket, on the city of New York. The wind threatened to carry off anything that wasn't attached to the ground. People, gangsters and citizens alike, stayed indoors. Very few humans braved the wraith of mother nature. A small squad of rather miserable foot ninja were part of the few. Their training and experience had prepared them for conditions like this, yet it did little to ease their misery of running around in one of New Yorks worst ever storms. The turtles and their rat master were in their lair training, or rather the turtles were training and the master was teaching, as it should be:

"And for the cool- down..."

"But Master Splinter my shows on!"

" There will be no complaining, and now..."

"But it's a special!"

"Michelangelo..."


But this is not about New York's weather, or directly about the people and the gangsters. The chapters is not about the foot ninja's misery about being in a storm, although they themselves appear later on in the story. It is of course about the turtles, but they also don't appear until later on, even though they were just mentioned above.
No, this chapter is about the solitary figure standing on a roof top, a fair distance from the lair, but a little closer then she should be to the miserable foot ninjas



She stood there motionless. Her arms, which were covered in burns, she hugged herself as the rain came down relentlessly on her, she had white cloths wrapped around both her forearms and her legs from knee to ankle, or what was left of a white cloths. She wore on her head a white mask that covered the entire top of her head, now soaked and torn. Across her back was the sword she had been training to use since she was a child.

The wind blew against her wet body, making her almost as cold on the outside as she was on the inside. One would think it would be enough to make her go home, to go back to the family that raised her. The problem was that she no longer had a family to go back to. She was alone. She welcomed the storm, it reflected her own feelings.

She stared absent-mindlessly at the rain that was causing New York such discomfort. Her brain seemed to have shut down, everything was so confusing. She couldn't remember the nights events. Actually the entire day was a blur. She wished Asia was here to comfort her. At the thought of her eldest sister she cried, her warm tears mixing with the icy rain . She missed her family terribly, she couldn't remember what happened to them. It was unbearable. After a few minutes she tried to stop. Crying wouldn't help anyone. But she still felt like crying all the same. If Asia was here, she wouldn't waste her time crying. She would know what to do.

She felt so lost. With no place to go, they had only been in New York for a month, so they did not have any human friends. It was to painful to go back to the place she called home. She began to retreat to the corners of her mind, trying to escape the pain, but it was everywhere, it was her world. No matter where she went, it was there. Wasn't there any place she could go that she could feel safe? Wasn't there anyone who she could tell how lost she felt? No, she answered her own questions, there wasn't anyplace and there wasn't anyone.

As fate would have it, the unhappy foot ninjas were heading in her direction. If she had been standing on another section of the roof they would have missed her completely. But she was right in their path, completely lost in her own thoughts. Korea said it happened too often.

She didn't hear them, it was impossible to hear anything in the storm. But she sensed them, and it was enough to make her turn.

Ninjas

Fifteen menacing figures faced her with their sword drawn. She stared at them in shock with her brilliant blue eyes, and they stared at her in contempt with their dark ones. The lead ninja rushed forward and attacked viciously, she drew her own sword and countered the attack, sending him flying. At that, they all attacked. She did well at first, considering that she was injured before they had started. But one of them slashed her across her leg, and that injury was followed by several more. She had to leave, it was either that or have her head separated from her shoulders.

She turned and ran across the rooftops. I need to get down to the sewers she thought panicking slightly. But how can she? She was surrounded and, worst of all, injured? The only weapon that would be useful here would have to be the unexpected. She rushed forward and leap-frogged over the ninja standing in front of her. The ninja didn't expect it, so it gave her a slight advantage. An advantage that did not last long, soon the ninja were chasing her. She jumped over the side and fell some of the way before reaching out to grab the railing of the fire escape before hitting the ground.

She dropped from there to the ground, wincing because now her arms not only had burns, but several cuts as well. Her legs weren't exactly in the best condition, and standing out in the rain for such a long time didn't benefit her health either. The rain, if possible, came down even harder, making it difficult to find a manhole cover. Fear was the only emotion that made sense to her. Her fingers brushed over the rough surface of a manhole cover. She as quickly as she could removed it and climbed down, all her wounds reminding her that they were there. When she touched the ground, she heard the sounds of the ninja coming down after her. Heart pounding, she turned and ran blindly down one of three tunnels, she didn't care which one she took just as long as it took her away from them.

She ran. Where and how long was completely unknown to her. The exhausted ninja stopped and leaned heavily against a pillar, she listened carefully for any sounds that might indicated that the ninjas were still on her tail. There wasn't a sound, she couldn't sense anything either, which means she lost them. And while she was at it she lost herself. She looked at her surroundings, they were not at all familiar. A sudden weariness came over her, she sank to the floor, shivering uncontrollably, both out of fear and the chilling temperature. She was exhausted both physically and mentally, her wounds were on fire and her head felt like it was about to explode. Pain, fear, and loss were her universe.

She took a few minutes to rest before getting back up, she had to keep moving, the ninjas might find her if she didn't. As she stood up, she suddenly felt dizzy, her world swayed and blurred. She put her green three fingered hand against the wall for support, and continued on. The tunnels stretched on and on. Taunting her, telling her that her only path is the one she could not see clearly. It sounded crazy, Jasmine would tease her about it non-stop she knew that she was having thoughts like this. But she didn't know.

She didn't get far before she began to hear strange sounds. She stopped the third time she heard it. It sounded like clicking in her option. She swallowed nervously and edged along the wall and looked carefully around her. Nothing. All her senses were tingling, which meant that she was in serious trouble. She felt dread, she was so badly injured that it was astonishing that she was able to make her great escape and, at this point, walk at all. She was not up for another fight. She continued to look around with her blue eyes, but still she saw nothing. Her heart rate had increased somewhat. She began to tremble visibly, her senses were going crazy. Which meant that the danger was even closer. She flattened herself against the wall and waited. She couldn't help but be ashamed of herself. Her fear was obvious and she wasn't doing anything about it. Roxie wouldn't have showed her fear. If Roxie stood here in her position, then she would want to find the danger, instead of waiting for the danger to find her. She felt like she would cry again. All of this was just too much. Her family, the ninja's, and now this. It was just too much.

She heard the clicking noise again, this time it was accompanied by a scuttling sound. At this she realized something, and slowly raised her eyes to the area above her. And screamed at the top of her lungs.

A spider.

And this was not your usual creepy-crawly. No, this spider was black, hairy, probably eight feet tall, several feet long, and had mandibles the length of her arm. Creatures like these only appeared in her nightmares. Considering what her day had been like though, it was oddly appropriate.

Realizing that it had lost the element of surprise, it let go of the wall and leapt at it's pray. Ninjitsu training alone had kept her from getting crushed by the massive spider. She dived out of the way, biting back a yelp as she rolled over her injures. She dodged one of the spiders legs as it lashed out. It tried to hit her again. And again. I let out a horrible wail in frustration and tried a fourth, this time one of the many legs had managed to hit her hard enough to send her flying at the wall. After meeting the stone wall and the stone floor, she felt her conscious began to fade. She fought against the blackness eating away the corners of her vision. It was a difficult struggle. She heard the scuttling sounds approach her, it's mandibles making hungry clicking sounds, and she lay helpless on the ground with not enough strength to sneeze. She closed her eyes, it would all be over soon.

An angry roar echoed throughout the chamber. Followed by a heavy thud as the unknown creature threw itself against her attacker. She heard a another thud as the spider returned the attack. As the fight continued, she raised her head and tried to catch a look at her rescuer. Assuming, of course, that it had come to rescue her. Even though she lay on the ground, she felt extremely dizzy, and all she could see was a green blur. The green blur leapt forward and, even though it did not make direct contact, the black blur gave one last squeal of pain and then fell silent. The spider's conqueror walked over to her. She closed her eyes and waited. It stopped and seemed to realize what she was. Then she felt herself lifted up by two large and very strong arms. She didn't struggle, or resist in any way. Her senses were quiet. And besides, it was surprisingly comforting.

"It is alright," came a soothing voice, "you are safe now." She was carried down one tunnel and then another. She wondered where he was taking her. She opened her eyes again, but couldn't pick up anything more then a green head, everything was so blurry. "Wh-where are you taking me?" she asked, her words slurring slightly. "Someplace where you can heal," came a reply. She sighed and closed her eyes. Whoever he was he had a good heart. He was also someone she could trust. It had been such a long time since she had been cradled like this, it felt nice. She felt safer now then she had in the last couple hours, she was somewhat at peace.

"I trust you," she said before giving herself up to the darkness.

Leatherhead

Leatherhead had decided to go visit the turtles, and was heading in the direction of the new lair. The lair was a far away from his home, and with the sewers so treacherous because of the increase of mutant population, most of them dangerous He did not make this journey as often as he did before.

He knew he was among the dangerous mutants. Leatherhead thought about it whenever he was by himself, which was quite often. It haunted his dreams almost every night. His friends have tried to help him live with his anger. They found him a home, for which he was grateful, but it still did not change the fact that part of him was, and always will be,
a monster. A part of him that cannot be easily controlled. A part of him worthy of neither love nor pity.

A piercing scream cut through his thoughts. Alarmed he raised his head towards where he thought it came from, his guess was confirmed when he heard a nightmarish wailing. He turned and sprinted down the sewer tunnel toward it. He arrived in a large chamber, quickly spotted the creature responsible for the horrible screeching. Standing in front of it was a small shadowy figure. Leatherhead watched as the large insect lashed out one of it's many legs and made contact with the small figure that had been trying to avoid it. The figure hit the wall and then lay on the ground motionless. The spider advanced, keen on devouring it's pray.

Almost without thinking, he rushed forward with a roar and tackled the spider to the ground. The spider kicked him off and tried to tear him open with it's mandibles. He dodged it and hit it in the head with his tail. They traded blow after blow, until Leatherhead grabbed one of it's legs and bit deeply. His razor sharp teeth easily parted the spider from his limb. It let out a howl of agony and made a weak attempt to return the treacherous attack, which Leatherhead only had to duck to avoid. He knew at this point that the point of the spiders leg was extremely sharp and was capable of slicing deep gashes in stone. He lurched forward and swung the severed limb at it's owner, cutting it cleanly in half. It let out a long and loud dying screech before falling silent.

Leatherhead let go of the leg and walked over to the person he had saved. Once he got close enough to pick out details, he noticed something he really should have taken into account before. His shock grew as he moved closer to the strange creature on the ground. At last he stood over the body and stared down at it, or rather her, in disbelief.

The being he had saved was in fact a turtle! It was impossible not to see that; Her skin was green, it was hard to tell what shade, she was so covered in grim. She had a shell and three fingers on each hand and two toes on each foot. One of the differences between her and the others would have to be that her shell was brown instead of the pale green. The other would have to be her obvious feminine form. She wore what was left of a white mask on her head, and her forearms and shins were wrapped in clothes of the same color, also turn and burnt. And to make things even stranger she had a sword strapped across her back, where she learned to use it he would have to find out later. Leatherhead also saw that she was badly injured, she was covered with cuts and burns, she needed immediate medical attention.

He bent over and lifted her up as gently as possible. He needed to take her to safety, as quickly as he could. "It is alright," he said, though unsure weather she could hear him or not, "You are safe now."

He walked swiftly along, trying his best not to jostle her to much. Luckily they weren't far from his friends home. Only a few minutes along.

As he turned down another tunnel, he wondered about what kind of change this little creature in his arms would bring. That would depend on what reaction Donatello and his brothers would have.

He looked down at the girl in his arms, he noticed something else different about her, she had eyelashes, from what he could see they were long and elegant. He wondered if she was still conscious, his question was answered when she slowly opened her eyes. Revealing the most beautiful blue eyes he had ever seen. He was expecting them to be brown, like the other turtles, She probably couldn't see him properly because her amazing eyes weren't focusing on him. To his astonishment, she spoke; "Wh-where are you taking me?" her voice was soft,musical,and her words were slurred. "Someplace where you can heal," he replied, hoping that it was the truth. He also found himself hoping that they will get to know each other better in the near future. She sighed and closed her pretty eyes, after a few moments she said "I trust you." And she fell at last into an deep sleep. If she had stayed conscious, Leatherhead would have not known how to respond to that. She said that she trusted him, not something anyone would immediately say to him. She was different,she meant what she said, he could tell.

Leatherhead walked along the final tunnel to the turtles home. He kept on thinking about the few words she had said, her dazzling eyes, and her quiet musical voice. The girl's eyes he thought of most, he had never seen such eyes, on humans or otherwise. Their beauty was hard to explain. He stopped and realized that he had just walked by the entrance to their home. He walked back to the door, and after shifting the girls weight so he can raise an arm, he knocked on the door.


Leo


Leonardo's day hadn't been very eventful. He trained with his brothers, meditated with his master, and watched the news. They hadn't gone monster hunting yet, monster hunting was always interesting, if a little dangerous. Right now they were watching a movie that Raphael had pretty much picked at random from the DVD rack. Afterwards they planned on hunting monsters. They were at the climax of the movie when they heard someone knock on the door. Leo sighed when his brothers showed no sign of getting up, and got up to answer the door himself.

He opened it to find Leatherhead, "Hey Leatherhead, how..." He trailed off when he saw what Leatherhead was carrying. He was holding a girl turtle! For a moment Leo couldn't do anything but stare at her in shock. "Leatherhead...?

"Leonardo," Leatherhead said, "She needs immediate medical attention." Leo saw that he was right, she was covered in burns and cuts, and one of her arms were angled as though it was broken. He took a step back and allowed the crocodile to squeeze past and head for the living room. He followed, his head buzzing with a million questions. He hoped they would be answered soon.

When they entered the living room, they saw that Raph, Donatello, and Michalangelo still had their eyes glued to the screen. Leo cleared his throat and said, "I'm afraid you guys'll have to get off the couch ."

"What if we don't wanna?" Raph asked not looking up.

"She needs to lay somewhere." Leo replied.

"She...?" The sai wielding ninja turtle finally looked up and saw what Leatherhead had in his arms. His eyes went huge and he leapt off the couch and rushed over to have a better look. Mikey and Don looked up as well and had similar reactions. She like them had three fingers and two toes, along with green skin. What was different however, other then a female figure, was that she had a brown shell instead of a pale green one.

Leatherhead made his way to the couch and lay her down. Don went to his lab to get his first aid kit. Mikey went to get blankets, and Raphael went to called April and Casey and then get Master Splinter. Leatherhead went to get a cloth to wash her wounds with. Leaving Leo alone with her for a few moments. He glanced quickly around before he reached out and gently touched her face with his finger. He wondered what kind of person she was, weather she was goofy like Mikey, aggressive like Raph, or a brainiac like Donny. Or maybe she was like him, he wouldn't be able to find out until she wakes up.

His thoughts were interrupted by April and Casey coming through the door. He quickly pulled his hand away before they entered. He was surprised, Raph called them less then fifty seconds ago. April gasped at the sight of her, Casey just stared. At this point, everyone had come back with what they went out for, and was waiting for Leatherhead to tell them the story. But first they had to decide what to do about her injuries.

"She needs to be cleaned up," declared Donny, "Otherwise she'll get an infection." They looked at each other and then looked expectantly at April, who sighed, "I'll wash her," said the redhead, "But one of you will have to help me get her to the bathroom." Leatherhead said he would, he bent over and effortlessly picked her up and carried her to the bathroom. There, April removed the mysterious turtle's garments, including her sword.

"Wow, cool blade," Raphael said pulling it out to examine it. "Do you think she knows how to use it?" Mikey asked, also regarding the sword with interest. "I don't think that she would have it if she didn't know how to use it." Don pointed out.

"Yeah, but how well do you think she can use it?"

"I think, my sons, that we should leave and let Ms. O'Neil work." Master Splinter put in. At this, everyone hastily exited the room.




Splinter


Master Splinter waited with the others for Ms. O'Neil to finish up with their new guest. He felt worried, for there were only one of her, and four of his sons. Many things could happen, there was no guarantee that this would end well.

Ms. O'Neil's voice called out for Leatherhead, indicating that she was had finished. Leatherhead emerged with a now clean turtle, though still covered with wounds. He placed her back on the couch, where Donatello examined her and bandaged her wounds, also putting her left arm in a splint, as it was broken.

"There," Donatello said as he finished, "I've done what I can for her." He then began to put his medical supplies. Leatherhead at last proceeded to tell his surprisingly short story. Master Splinter noticed that Leonardo's eyes kept on straying to the young female laying on the couch in front of him. It did not surprise him. His eldest son's heart was his strength, and his weakness.

"Let's move her to the first spare room." neglecting to point out that the spare room was next to his. "She might be more comfortable there then on the couch." Since this had sounded somewhat logical, Leatherhead again picked her up and moved her to another room. After they had her settled, they decided to take turns watching over her. Who watched her first they resolved in a childish, yet effective matter; they drew straws. Donatello, Rapheal, Michalangelo, and Leonardo, were the order they were going to do it in. Leonardo was disappointed with the order, but tried to hide it. He went into the dojo to meditate until it was his turn.
Sign up to rate and review this story