Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > "What is a Heart Beat?"

Chapter Four

by FireChildSlytherin5 0 reviews

AU. Zuko was found in the Forest, half-wild, being attacked by a group of unknown beings wounded severely but yet somehow not effect by the pain afterwards. Read and found out the secret of the Fir...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror - Characters: Aang,Katara,Sokka,Zuko - Warnings: [!] [V] [?] - Published: 2007-04-24 - Updated: 2007-09-20 - 1850 words

0Unrated
____________________________________________________________________________

THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED WITH A BETA!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What is a Heart Beat?"
-

Summary: AU. Zuko was found in the Forest, half-wild, being attacked by a group of unknown beings wounded severely but yet somehow not effect by the pain afterwards. Read and found out the secret of the Fire Nation, the reason why the nation despise the rest, the reason why the nation seemed cold, and yet...

-

Chapter 4

-

Ba Bum ... the heart beat once.
Ba Bum ... the heart beat twice.
Ba Bum ... the heart beat three times.
Ba Ba Bum ... and the heart beat no more.

-

Zuko was furious. Anytime now, the Avatar will find a watering hole, lake, river or something, and make him have a bath. Don't get him wrong, he needed one and he doesn't hate having one, but thought of them seeing him naked and seeing his scars that he received from the War make him scared and embarrassed. And don't forget the shadows love to hide near any type of water. It was where they get their energy for their powers and it was place where they are strongest. They were weak in the forest because their wasn't any running water, but with a lake... Zuko shook his head, trying not to think of it. It also had been days or maybe few weeks since he last had drink of water.

Just as he thought that, in his horror, the Avatar yelled happily, "There's the waterfall!"

"At least!" Katara said. Appa landed near the river and flopped on his back, Zuko being thrown out of the saddle as everyone never thought getting him off before the flying basin lied down onto its back.

"Are you okay, Zuko?" the Avatar asked him just thought about him, regretting to himself forgetting about him. Zuko glared at him with hatred. "Okay, we're going to untie you and get you in the water. Please-please don't do anything rush."

"Or I'll squash you." Toph said, bending a large rock over his head to get her point. Zuko stared that the large bolder above him as if daring it to drop on top of him. Toph let it drop beside him with large thump.

"Fine. But ain't going into the water!" Zuko said.

"Oh, it the prince-y afraid of the water?" Sokka teased him.

"No." Zuko said. "I just don't like the water. Water is evil. Water is bad."

"Haha. Water is evil, yeah right." Sokka pulled out his knife as he said it, still laughing at the thought. Zuko's body stiffened wondering what the water peasant would do with it with his knife. He watched as Sokka cut the leather ropes from his wrists and ankles. Painful looking burns was seen on his wrists and ankles of where the leather bonds were. "Take off your clothes and go wash." Sokka demanded, pointing the river beside them

"No." Zuko said glaring into his eyes. Sokka didn't tell him twice, Sokka grabbed him by his neck caller and throw him in the cold water.

"SOKKA! Why did you do that for?" Katara yelled at him. "What if he can't swim?"

"Good riddance then." Sokka said not looking at his sister but his enemy.

Zuko stood up from the water that was waist high, whapping the water from his eyes. That bastard throws in the water. He won't wash, he won't. He must get out of this water!

Zuko started to get out, but before he knew it, Katara bended the water under her comments, "What are you doing?" he yelled as the water grabbed him.

"Washing you up." Katara said.

Sokka laughed at that remark. "Good one, Katara." Katara glared at him. Katara swirled her hands, as soupy water covered the firebender. Zuko helplessly waited refusing to open either his eyes or mouth. What seemed like hours, Zuko felt himself flouting back to land. He cough, shivered at the mainland. Kneeling he took a deep breath raising the fire within himself, warming his body and was unsteadily dried.

"You gotta teach me how to do that!" the Avatar said in awe.

"No." Zuko told him. Katara walked up to him, checking him over. He still wasn't clean! He still had blood and dirt stains all over him!

"You're not clean," Katara started to say.

"I'm clean enough!" Zuko said getting far away from her and the water as possible.

"Fine." Katara said. Sokka in the background sniggered.

"Come on, we need to go." The Avatar told them.

The group flew for another whole day and night. Zuko couldn't sleep. Knowing that each hour, they were getting closer and closer to his doom. What would the Earth King Bumi do to him? He heard and witnessed of what the other Nations would do to Fire Nation. Would they torture him telling them where the others are? Would they send him to rot in prison for the rest of the days of his life? Or would the executed him? Or would they torture him just for fun?

If it is his fate to die, why wouldn't the Avatar let that water-tribe boy kill him just few days before when they captured him? Or was it the Avatar want him to have a proper execution, not being killed the barbaric way possible?

"We're going to be there any day now!" Aang told them happily at the thought of meeting his best friend. He looked at Zuko, who looked at him in hatred, teeth showing from his mouth. Aang was confused. They haven't seen any Fire Nation for months, until now with they found Zuko somewhat dead. The last time was an old man that he never met before looked at him in the same look. What shocked him that when the old man got sight of him, he slashed his own throat, saying that he couldn't live the life he had, saying he will be with his wife and son. And being a slave in the afterlife was better then being captive to the other Nations then a tortured life for all entreaties. He didn't know what the old man meant (he didn't tell the others what happened) until when Zuko told them a couple days ago. 'They take souls and bend them into their slaves for all entity they say.' Zuko told them. Was that the Fire Nation man meant that?

Aang rolled his eyes, as Zuko started to yell once more.

"Let me go! Let me go! I rather die in the hands of the Spirit of the Dead then likes of your filthy Nations! Let me go or sever!" Zuko yelled in his native tongue.

"SHUT UP, FIRE SCUM!" Sokka yelled back. It wasn't the yelling that nerved him. It was filthy language that he spoke. The Fire Nation language, the most ancient tongue that was ever accorded. The language sounded so beautiful and spiritual in the same time as a harsh and deathly language. It was so... alien to him. He was told from his young youth it was evil language of the devil himself. It was so look down a pond that the nations exile and execute people who spoken it. It scared him to find that he was curious to know what he said. "Please do us a favor and speck in language that all of us know!"

"Stop yelling is more like." Toph muttered under her breath.

"And what language is that anyway?" Sokka asked the firebender, ignoring Toph. He was bord with nothing to do but sit. He had finished sharping his bumeraang and he had enough studing the Earth Kingdom map.

"It is my native language." Zuko said flatly, glaring at the young water-tribe.

"What about English?"

"My third language." Zuko said after an after thought.

Sokka looked confused. "What's your second?"

"Air Nation." Zuko replied. In that second, Aang looked up smiling.

"Really!" Aang said shocked, as he let go of the reins.

"Ha, I doubted it." Katara said. "The Air nomads disappearance over 100 years before. How could the Fire Nation Prince know the Air Nation language when they're not Air Nation around?"

Aang ignored her, suddenly spoken in language that they never heard of him spoke before. Aang's voice was like the wind itself, so carefree like a bird. They watch as Zuko smirked after the Avatar had finished. He too replied in the same language, which shocked the whole group.

"You do speck my language!" Aang said happily hugging the Firebender.

"Get off me!" Zuko yelled. Aang let go of him.

Sokka was too curious for his own good. He was kind of man that loves knowledge, which helps him of his lack of bending. He found himself, to want to know these languages, as his tribe at lost most of their past water tribe language because of the 100 years old war. "What did you guys say to each other?"

"Basically he asked me 'Do you understand me?'.." Zuko said. He looked at the Avatar. "You need to speck your native tongue more often Avatar, before you loose it."

"No one that I know, beside Bumi and now you, knows the language. I'm last Air bender left." Aang told him in sadness.

Zuko shook his head. Why was he told this? It wasn't true. His people still live, but not as they did before 100 years "You are not the first Air bender that I ever met Avatar." Zuko told him slowly knowing what would happen next. Everyone in the group looked up. What was he saying?

"What do you mean?" Katara asked. Surly he's not saying as she thinks his saying?

"Externally what I say. How did I ever learn the language almost so perfectly as I was one? An Air Nomad taught me himself. Just as any teacher would do for his young students."

"That a lie! My people would never suck so low of teaching our ways with the Fire Nation!"

"Believe of what you wish, Avatar. My own mother was one of the many daughters of the Sprits of Wind and Air. As my father as you know, the son of the Spirits of the Sun and Fire."

At that said, Zuko looked away from the group. He had many secrets, of which they will never found out.

Toph looked up her group. "He's not lying." She said. Aang looked at Zuko in new light. How can he be the son of an Air and Fire Nation? If he remembered right, Air and Fire is the closest element together then Water and Fire, as they are opposites. Together they are more powerful then alone. Aang felt something grow inside his heart.

Finally he as found a fellow Air Nomad, well half of one. It was better then being fully alone.

End of chapter


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Words: 1,879

Author's Notes: I thought this plot needed more spice. How can you explain when Zuko jump onto roofs and the like, just like Aang? I also thought it was more real if Zuko wasn't 'full blood'. Where's the fun out of that?

Read and Review!

--FireChildSlytherin5
Sign up to rate and review this story